Nail Yakupov (part II)

Status
Not open for further replies.

aki

Apr 7, 2003
Visit site
Being a rookie in a lockout year. I can't imagine a worse, more chaotic, and hard to predict situation for a kid. Not to mention only getting 48GP to figure it out in rookie season. Developmentally speaking its like the kid got half a rookie season and no proper TC to set up his game. Still, he played well towards the end of that season.

And yet he led the team in goals that season. More than each of the golden boys. Let that sink in for a moment.

Kid has serious skills, but has completely lost his confidence, and is playing like **** right now, and may be wrecked for good. But casting him away on the scrap heap at this point would be pretty dumb.

Approved Variety

Nov 14, 2010
Replacement is the one making logical statements in here the last couple pages.

He's not playing the way he should be. Correct.

He's the biggest problem on the team right now. Incorrect.

People are coming here to blame one kid for their woes because he was drafted too high. Jesus, get over it. Everyone keeps saying "i used to be optimistic, and I'm patient, but I'm not seeing improvement." Those same people say that after every single game Yak doesn't score. They're not waiting even a game or two to come back and say "i gave it time, he hasn't turned it around yet!"

Yeah, sorry, it's going to take all season to turn things around.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gone

Fire KLowe
Aug 9, 2005
Earth
3pts in last 9GP but keep playing. Yak has been bad. Is it necessary to make things up?

Sorry, guess you didn't see the "Something like ..." part of my statement. No intentional misinformation, it was a quick post based on something I quickly read a bit earlier.

Either way no points in 30 of his last 34 games, is pretty terrible. This kid has proven he is not a top 6 player, and no amount of bashing from 'Gone' will change that.

http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/20...other-2-goal-lead-burned-by-flames-yet-again/

10 Nail Yakupov, 2. Another terrible game from the winger, who committed a number of defensive miscues. Had another giveaway on an ugly cross-ice pass just inside his own blueline to a Flame at centre point. Made a poor decision to dive at a puck at the offensive blueline on Edmonton’s lone (disastrous) powerplay, leading to a 2-on-1 against. Got burned deep in Calgary territory on the play building up to Roy’s penalty. Failed to fill the shooting lane for a point shot and slid right out of the zone, allowing his man to jump into the continuation while he was lost at sea. All that might be considered a cost of doing business if he was bringing any offence to the table, but on this night none of his 3 shot attempts was even on target. Has scored zero points in 30 of his last 34 games.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
Replacement is the one making logical statements in here the last couple pages.

He's not playing the way he should be. Correct.

He's the biggest problem on the team right now. Incorrect.

People are coming here to blame one kid for their woes because he was drafted too high. Jesus, get over it. Everyone keeps saying "i used to be optimistic, and I'm patient, but I'm not seeing improvement." Those same people say that after every single game Yak doesn't score. They're not waiting even a game or two to come back and say "i gave it time, he hasn't turned it around yet!"

Yeah, sorry, it's going to take all season to turn things around.

Or.

What's going to happen is you're going to have to 'get over it' in the sense that Yak is simply failing to turn into a quality NHL player. I'm hoping I'm the one that's wrong, but I'm betting it's you. I guess we will see. I give you full permission to call me all sorts of stupid names and mock me if Yakupov ever turns things around.

Hopefully I'll be too busy enjoying watching the Oiler win games with him on the roster to hear the comments :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
I used to think that as well, but I see absolutely nothing that shows that's true any more. :(

We simply cannot base Yak's career off of 2 seasons with Eakins. The one season he had a competent HC he was on pace for 30 goals.

There is a chance that Yak busts but it's not a problem with Yak but rather a problem with our team. If a team like Detroit got a hold of Yakupov, he'd be a star.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
We simply cannot base Yak's career off of 2 seasons with Eakins. The one season he had a competent HC he was on pace for 30 goals.

There is a chance that Yak busts but it's not a problem with Yak but rather a problem with our team. If a team like Detroit got a hold of Yakupov, he'd be a star.

You mean the one half-season he had with a different coach he had an unreal shooting percentage and scored 17 goals. Just if we're being honest here.

Agreed, we can't base a whole career on 2.5 seasons. Never done that. Simply stated I am incredibly concerned with how badly he has played, and how poorly he has looked on the vast majority of nights. How his production is actually getting worse under Nelson, not better. How the Oilers are not in a position to keep a guy who doesn't produce, and also doesn't play like Boyd Gordon, on their roster. These are all legitimate concerns as far as I am concerned.

I also think it's very fair to point out when he has good games, which have been few and far between. Or when he has okay games, but produces nothing on the score sheet. Those happen a little more frequently. But the NHL doesn't pay someone to work hard but get no results. Those guys eventually become unemployed. I would say almost everyone on these forums is really cheering for the guy, but kind words about a player who is doing as close to nothing as you can do on an NHL team doesn't help anyone. It just ignores the reality of the situation.

Just my opinion. I guess though that there are those who watch him and are encouraged by little things that he does. The truth is that I am as well, but it's simply not enough. If he was a young guy who was drafted in the third round and was surrounded by defensively repsonsible, hardworking players - like say the LA Kings, then it wouldn't be such an issue. But he isn't. He is surrounded by a bunch of other guys who have their own warts. The problem for Yakupov is that he was drafted at #1 overall. It is what it is. It's his legacy. It's how he's going to be judged. Too bad for him, but that's life. Another problem is that some of the other guys who are struggling out there are at least contributing offensively. Yes, there are a lot of other players on the team who don't play well, but at the very least they chip in a few points here and there.

He has the same amount of points as Matt Hendricks and only 2 more than Boyd Gordon, and those guys contribute in other massive ways on the roster. Leon Draisaitl is still only 3 points behind him (in 13 less games no less), and arguably was a more effective player in most other areas of the ice as a rookie straight out the draft. And he wasn't good enough to even stick with team.

There are no words to really sum up how bad Yakupov has played since his rookie season, and it's not really getting much better. A little bit, in a few areas? Sure I'll give you that. He's actually doing worse offensively, despite the rope he's being given by Nelson.

He should be in the AHL. Send him down to gain some confidence and to try and figure out how to play the game again. He is not playing NHL level hockey right now in his role.

Leon Draisaitl

German Gretzky
Jun 26, 2014
You mean the one half-season he had with a different coach he had an unreal shooting percentage and scored 17 goals. Just if we're being honest here.

Agreed, we can't base a whole career on 2.5 seasons. Never done that. Simply stated I am incredibly concerned with how badly he has played, and how poorly he has looked on the vast majority of nights. How his production is actually getting worse under Nelson, not better. How the Oilers are not in a position to keep a guy who doesn't produce, and also doesn't play like Boyd Gordon, on their roster. These are all legitimate concerns as far as I am concerned.

I also think it's very fair to point out when he has good games, which have been few and far between. Or when he has okay games, but produces nothing on the score sheet. Those happen a little more frequently. But the NHL doesn't pay someone to work hard but get no results. Those guys eventually become unemployed. I would say almost everyone on these forums is really cheering for the guy, but kind words about a player who is doing as close to nothing as you can do on an NHL team doesn't help anyone. It just ignores the reality of the situation.

Just my opinion. I guess though that there are those who watch him and are encouraged by little things that he does. The truth is that I am as well, but it's simply not enough. If he was a young guy who was drafted in the third round and was surrounded by defensively repsonsible, hardworking players - like say the LA Kings, then it wouldn't be such an issue. But he isn't. He is surrounded by a bunch of other guys who have their own warts. The problem for Yakupov is that he was drafted at #1 overall. It is what it is. It's his legacy. It's how he's going to be judged. Too bad for him, but that's life. Another problem is that some of the other guys who are struggling out there are at least contributing offensively. Yes, there are a lot of other players on the team who don't play well, but at the very least they chip in a few points here and there.

He has the same amount of points as Matt Hendricks and only 2 more than Boyd Gordon, and those guys contribute in other massive ways on the roster. Leon Draisaitl is still only 3 points behind him (in 13 less games no less), and arguably was a more effective player in most other areas of the ice as a rookie straight out the draft. And he wasn't good enough to even stick with team.

There are no words to really sum up how bad Yakupov has played since his rookie season, and it's not really getting much better. A little bit, in a few areas? Sure I'll give you that. He's actually doing worse offensively, despite the rope he's being given by Nelson.

He should be in the AHL. Send him down to gain some confidence and to try and figure out how to play the game again. He is not playing NHL level hockey right now in his role.

He's not waiver exempt.

Nature's Minister

Mar 19, 2003
Visit site
What would it take for the devils to acquire him? We have a glut of young defensemen with potential, but none is struggling quite as badly, so it is hard to really gauge a fair value.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
What would it take for the devils to acquire him? We have a glut of young defensemen with potential, but none is struggling quite as badly, so it is hard to really gauge a fair value.

I would be ok with Larssen nearly straight up, and maybe one of the sides can add a late round pick to even whatever out.

SchultzSquared*

Not a D... but Zajac??? Big money and not producing a lot for it... but he would be welcome in EDM and get more offensive roles

Elias-Henrique-Jagr
Havlat-Cammalleri-Yakupov

Nature's Minister

Mar 19, 2003
Visit site
Larsson is doing pretty super duper right now and although it may work out in the long run, he and severson would probably be the two to require an overpayment right now to acquire. Zajac I would have no problem moving though, since I am hoping we draft a real 1st line center this year. If the oilers want both players, would something like zajac Larsson and a second for yak and draisaitl work?

TheRebuild

Bold as Boognish
Jun 12, 2014
Winter
He's not waiver exempt.

It's too bad that happened, because Grigorenko I think has had a lot of similar problems as Yak, but at least the Sabres can send him to their AHL affiliate. Again this is just another symptom of poor asset management/development by the Oilers. Not unlike burning a year off of Draisaitl's entry level contract on another lost year, full of shattered dreams.

I don't blame Yak. Maybe he is a bust, or maybe he's just one of these high end guys that's going to take some time to come around. It would sure be nice if he could play in a league that's a bit more his speed though.

Throttlehead

Jan 22, 2014
Victoria B.C.

Seems like a really fair reality based assessment.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
If Yakupov has any value left then they need to trade him this off season. If his value is as bad as the fans think it is then they should sign him to a 2 year, show me contract and give him every opportunity to succeed next year. Either he starts playing to his potential and we have a valuable member of the team or trade chip or he becomes Stefan 2.0.

Approved Variety

Nov 14, 2010
No. If he busts, he busts. But you need to give him more than a game at a time between major complaints about the same things, even when a loss had nothing to do with him.

Next season, if he hasn't turned a corner, I have absolutely no issue trading him. I'm also a lot more clinical about management- you need to know more about a player before you trade him. He's in a transition right now. New coach, new linemates (though, he could sure use Pouliot back, and not being forced to play left wing). He'll either succeed or he won't, and that's when you make a decision on a guy.

Next year's trade deadline or at the end of next season, if Yak hasn't succeeded in producing- he should be traded. I don't have the emotional attachment with him a lot of you assume everyone defending him has. You just aren't thinking clearly about asset management. He needs all season before you judge whether the coaching and line changes have helped.

When a guy with zero confidence is struggling heavily with his game, and his potential is high, you MUST pay attention to the little things he does right and wrong, and why he's making those decisions/plays. A turnover that results in a goal doesn't necessarily mean a guy is playing poorly. Making mistakes are how you learn. If he goes out and skates the puck in front of his net again a couple times, whether it's turned over or not, you know he's not getting it. If he makes a completely different error...you can't group all errors together.

Sometimes a play that doesn't get turned over is worse than one who does.

And it pisses me off when a lot of you sit here and ***** about the kid for things that weren't his fault, or weren't that big of a deal, or not even giving him time to improve before slamming him again.

Those of us watching objectively, who aren't clouded by where he was drafted, are seeing two steps forward, one step back. That's not ideal, but it's not worth crucifying a guy. He's been snake-bitten, which makes the sheep far more vocal about not liking him, but if he was playing terribly and scoring a goal every other game due to lucky bounces or expert play by others, most of you wouldn't be posting here. And that is why I can't take most of the *****ing seriously.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
If Yakupov has any value left then they need to trade him this off season. If his value is as bad as the fans think it is then they should sign him to a 2 year, show me contract and give him every opportunity to succeed next year. Either he starts playing to his potential and we have a valuable member of the team or trade chip or he becomes Stefan 2.0.

Its quite clear Yak has barely any value at all. Trading him this off season would be pointless. But a 2 year deal is agreeable.

I want Yak to succeed so damn much, so all those annoying hab fans on the mainboards will screw off with their Galchenyuk > Yakupov AINECCCC crap.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
No. If he busts, he busts. But you need to give him more than a game at a time between major complaints about the same things, even when a loss had nothing to do with him.

Next season, if he hasn't turned a corner, I have absolutely no issue trading him. I'm also a lot more clinical about management- you need to know more about a player before you trade him. He's in a transition right now. New coach, new linemates (though, he could sure use Pouliot back, and not being forced to play left wing). He'll either succeed or he won't, and that's when you make a decision on a guy.

Next year's trade deadline or at the end of next season, if Yak hasn't succeeded in producing- he should be traded. I don't have the emotional attachment with him a lot of you assume everyone defending him has. You just aren't thinking clearly about asset management. He needs all season before you judge whether the coaching and line changes have helped.

When a guy with zero confidence is struggling heavily with his game, and his potential is high, you MUST pay attention to the little things he does right and wrong, and why he's making those decisions/plays. A turnover that results in a goal doesn't necessarily mean a guy is playing poorly. Making mistakes are how you learn. If he goes out and skates the puck in front of his net again a couple times, whether it's turned over or not, you know he's not getting it. If he makes a completely different error...you can't group all errors together.

Sometimes a play that doesn't get turned over is worse than one who does.

And it pisses me off when a lot of you sit here and ***** about the kid for things that weren't his fault, or weren't that big of a deal, or not even giving him time to improve before slamming him again.

Those of us watching objectively, who aren't clouded by where he was drafted, are seeing two steps forward, one step back. That's not ideal, but it's not worth crucifying a guy. He's been snake-bitten, which makes the sheep far more vocal about not liking him, but if he was playing terribly and scoring a goal every other game due to lucky bounces or expert play by others, most of you wouldn't be posting here. And that is why I can't take most of the *****ing seriously.

Fair enough. I don't agree with most of what you're saying, and think you're making excuses for Yakupov, but I can see why you're frustrated with those of us who are not thinking the same way you are.

It's probably best not to get too worked up over it though because until/unless he actually starts showing up, this kind of feedback is going to keep happening. No free rides in the NHL.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Larsson is doing pretty super duper right now and although it may work out in the long run, he and severson would probably be the two to require an overpayment right now to acquire. Zajac I would have no problem moving though, since I am hoping we draft a real 1st line center this year. If the oilers want both players, would something like zajac Larsson and a second for yak and draisaitl work?

This trade makes no sense for the Oilers. Zajac is a very good defensive center but his offensive game is questionable at this stage of his career and given that he will be 30 in a couple of months it is unrealistic to expect that to change. What he is at this stage for a team like Edmonton is a much better Boyd Gordon. But the real problem is his contract. At $5.75M as a cap hit and with 6 more years left on that deal, with a real salary that even exceeds the cap, he will be a tough player to move. Because of this he does not add anywhere near enough value to add Draisaitl into the equation.

Larsson may indeed be playing better over the last 20 or so games, but to re-establish his value to anywhere near what it was he will have to do that for more than just a month or two. Despite his lack of production Yakupov has also been playing much better of late under a new coach, but both of these kids need to show something more to really resurrect their value. As it stand Draisaitl is probably the most valuable piece in this proposal.

Last edited:

Nature's Minister

Mar 19, 2003
Visit site
That's fine. Larsson has really matured into a steady, physical presence and I don't see that changing. Whether his somewhat surprising offense can be sustained is another matter entirely, but I feel trading him straight up for yakupov is too big a risk. Would the oilers entertain a prospect like Jacobs and a pick for him instead?

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
That's fine. Larsson has really matured into a steady, physical presence and I don't see that changing. Whether his somewhat surprising offense can be sustained is another matter entirely, but I feel trading him straight up for yakupov is too big a risk. Would the oilers entertain a prospect like Jacobs and a pick for him instead?

The only thing that really separates Jacobs from the plethora of young defensemen the Oilers already have is that he is a RHD. But aside from that he probably would have little value to the Oilers in a trade for Yakupov given that he is a freshman and is definitely 2-3 years away at least. So for that deal to make sense for the Oilers the pick would have to be the Devil's first this year which I am sure makes this far less interesting on your end.

I can't speak for the Oilers, and trying to predict what this crew might do is a fool's game, but personally I don't want to see Yak traded unless it is a deal that they simply can't refuse.

Oilers10

I hate Dallas Eakins
Dec 4, 2004
Lets all just step back and try to keep in mind that...

A. He's 21 years old
B. Has only played 2.5 seasons on the worst team in the NHL the last 3 seasons
C. Has never really had a good veteran center to play with
D. Forget the fact that he's a first overall pick. It was a terrible draft and the faster we
stop expecting him to be stamkos lite the better it will be for all involved.
E. The Sedins didn't start producing till they were in their mid 20's.

Approved Variety

Nov 14, 2010
Lets all just step back and try to keep in mind that...

A. He's 21 years old
B. Has only played 2.5 seasons on the worst team in the NHL the last 3 seasons
C. Has never really had a good veteran center to play with
D. Forget the fact that he's a first overall pick. It was a terrible draft and the faster we
stop expecting him to be stamkos lite the better it will be for all involved.
E. The Sedins didn't start producing till they were in their mid 20's.

Thanks.

But even though everything we're saying is reasonable, we'll be branded "Yak cultists" by the barrel of monkeys.

McDeepika

Aug 14, 2004
What does Yakupov do well exactly?

Is he good carrying the puck through the neutral zone? Nope
Is he good at finding open ice to get his shot off? Nope
Does he even have a good shot? I keep reading that he does but I haven't seen it
Is he fast? Not really
Is he a force along the boards? Nope
Is he a good defensive player? LOL
Is he a good playmaker? Decent
Does he play with some sandpaper? Yes, this would have to be his best quality right now.

I just don't see a great skill-set right now. Hard to blame coaching for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad