Nail Yakupov (part II)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nunymare

/ˈnʌnimɛr/
Sep 14, 2008
YEG
Some posts from the last one:

Have loved Yaks effort this year but I'm not sure his skill is as high as we first thought.
Perhaps it was just a few odd bounces, but yak has whiffed on some one timers and not been able to get a clean shot away a few times in the past few games. It actually has me a bit concerned that he isn't the triggerman we all think.

That said, I see him as a 25 goal scoring, nasty to play against 2nd line winger. And I would be thrilled with that.

Fair observation, he regularly whiffs on pucks it seems, that timing is not something that usually needs to be worked on with a #1 overall pick, but it seems to be in this case. Maybe he is forcing the issue, and just needs to calm the nerves in those situations? I don't know, but I have to agree with your observation.

Realistically, we have to temper our expectations when it comes to Yak, especially since I still have delusions of him becoming his idol, Pavel Bure. I think somebody on this board mentioned that he could become a Patrick Sharp-type player, and that would be great for this club.

Yakupov definitely seems to whiff on shots more often then other players but to be fair one-timers are really damn hard to time properly, especially they way he tries to bomb the shots, and especially if it's a hard pass.

I think part of it is he tries for one-timers a lot more often then most of our other players, so he's going to have a greater chance of whiffing on his shots then his teammates because they aren't attempting this difficult shot as often.

But yeah, he needs to get better at that, but it is really damn hard to pull off properly.

I think Yak's problem is that he's constantly going a million miles an hour. He sees the pass to his one-timer and is just buzzing to smack the crap out of it into the net. This is obviously projection based on behavior, given that I don't know him, but it's the best guess I have. It takes maturity to realize that an accurate, controlled shot at 90% power is more likely to be effective than putting the fury of Zeus behind every puck. I saw a Lidstrom quote to that effect once, that his secret was knowing what amount of the speed-accuracy tradeoff to put on each shot.

All-in-all, it's definitely the more preferable problem to have. Very few players in the world can clock a puck like Yak can. Just a question of slowing it down IMO.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
To me it is encouraging that as much as Oiler fans desperately want the team to win, they aren't willing to sell low on Yakupov even if it means getting a veteran who could help us in the short term. There is still hope out there that the team can come together as it is.

Shredator

Oct 6, 2009
Edmonton
I think what Oiler nation is hoping for is Yakupov turning into Stamkos, Kovalchuk or Ovechkin.

We NEED Yakupov to turn into one of the leagues elite snipers.

Blue Line Turnover

Oct 26, 2006
I think what Oiler nation is hoping for is Yakupov turning into Stamkos, Kovalchuk or Ovechkin.

I didn't look it up, but I think playing on lines with proven players on a consistent basis probably helped those players that you mentioned cultivate and maintain an elite level of play early on in their respective careers. I don't think that Ovy had anybody, though.

Shredator

Oct 6, 2009
Edmonton
I didn't look it up, but I think playing on lines with proven players on a consistent basis probably helped those players that you mentioned cultivate and maintain an elite level of play early on in their respective careers. I don't think that Ovy had anybody, though.

Playing with established players is obviously a plus. Winning teams and winning cultures is a plus.
1st overall picks should be able to enstill a winning culture and a winni g attitude with or without good players.
We need Yakupov to prove why he was picked where he was.

I have yet to see Yak dominate a game, dominate a shift or dominate a play.

I want him to be amazing. But im losing faith. He's playing better but his IQ isnt where it needs to be as a first overall pick.

Please please please Yak just dominate.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton

Stamkos got quite a bit of help from MSL but now it looks like it doesn't matter who's on his line. Ovechkin had no help and Kovalchuck had other young stars like Heatly and Hossa. Yakupov will never be able to prove it in Edmonton if they don't consistently play him top 6 and 1st unit PP.

Shredator

Oct 6, 2009
Edmonton
Stamkos got quite a bit of help from MSL but now it looks like it doesn't matter who's on his line. Ovechkin had no help and Kovalchuck had other young stars like Heatly and Hossa. Yakupov will never be able to prove it in Edmonton if they don't consistently play him top 6 and 1st unit PP.

Yakupov has Hall and Nuge.
Granted they dont play together ever, but still they are on the same team. Yakupov needs to step up.

How long will it take Oiler fans until we turn on Yakupov? At what point do we get fed up with him not putting up points?

I hope he figures it out soon and starts to create plays.

sanitysrequiem

Nov 14, 2009
Not an Oilers fan, and correct me if I'm wrong, but the from what I've seen the main thing holding Yakupov back is him being overzealous, overeager and him forcing the issue rather than playing with poise. It's very similar to what Nathan Mackinnon is going through in Colorado. Both of them often look like teenagers getting laid for the first time out there.

And yes, it is a tendency of younger players, but a good portion of high (1st to 3rd) draft picks already have great poise when they enter the league. I think Yakupov will improve in this area but I'm not sure how much. And that will determine the level of greatness he reaches at the NHL level.

Imagine Yakupov with the poise of a John Tavares. That would be insane.

Nuge93

Stuck in a "Rebuild"
Jun 27, 2013
He's growing into a better player. Sure, he had a great rookie year, middling to poor sophomore season, but this year he's been playing very well despite the lack of points.

It also doesn't help that Yak plays max of 3-4 shifts per 3rd period. He's one of the guys I want out there if we're down by one.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Not an Oilers fan, and correct me if I'm wrong, but the from what I've seen the main thing holding Yakupov back is him being overzealous, overeager and him forcing the issue rather than playing with poise. It's very similar to what Nathan Mackinnon is going through in Colorado. Both of them often look like teenagers getting laid for the first time out there.

And yes, it is a tendency of younger players, but a good portion of high (1st to 3rd) draft picks already have great poise when they enter the league. I think Yakupov will improve in this area but I'm not sure how much. And that will determine the level of greatness he reaches at the NHL level.

Imagine Yakupov with the poise of a John Tavares. That would be insane.

Originally Posted by oilerfan17 View Post
I think Yak's problem is that he's constantly going a million miles an hour. He sees the pass to his one-timer and is just buzzing to smack the crap out of it into the net. This is obviously projection based on behavior, given that I don't know him, but it's the best guess I have. It takes maturity to realize that an accurate, controlled shot at 90% power is more likely to be effective than putting the fury of Zeus behind every puck. I saw a Lidstrom quote to that effect once, that his secret was knowing what amount of the speed-accuracy tradeoff to put on each shot.

All-in-all, it's definitely the more preferable problem to have. Very few players in the world can clock a puck like Yak can. Just a question of slowing it down IMO.

Haha.... my keyboard now has coffee on it, thank you.

I agree with both of you... Yak just needs to calm down and play within his limits. It's like you can see his brain going a mile a minute out there and his body following. Once he learns to allow the brain to perform the calculations and translate that into deliberate action (as opposed to frantic buzzing), then he's going to be a force to be reckoned with.

In the meantime, now that his frantic enthusiasm has some degree of defensive awareness to it (at least on the back check), he's much less of a liability and we can afford to have him learning on the job.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
To me it is encouraging that as much as Oiler fans desperately want the team to win, they aren't willing to sell low on Yakupov even if it means getting a veteran who could help us in the short term. There is still hope out there that the team can come together as it is.

this is actually discouraging for me, because I gave up that hope a long time ago.

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012
At the very least, we can see that Yakupov is starting to LOOK better on the ice, which had to happen before the points start coming.

And given the fact that he hasn't been given a very long leash like Hall and RNH were in their early seasons, I think he's doing alright. Yes, I know that his game was and is still much more raw than our other two #1 overalls, but there's no doubt in my mind that given more freedom and better linemates, he'd be producing at least reasonably well.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
Sometime a short leash is what it takes to make a player understand what to do. I've watched (only) a couple Oilers games and this kids defensive game has improved so much...so in that sense your dumb coach succeeded in turning him into a defensively aware player, he just mishandled him while doing that (low of TOI, media circus, lack of communication).

I still don't think Yak is a bust, nor will he be one, but as of now I see him more of a top 6 forward...as in a very good 2nd liner who can fill into the 1st when needed, and he still has the upside/potential to become an elite 1st liner. Hopefully for you Oiler fans, he pans out as a solid 1st liner.

Anyways, back on topic, Therrien had Galchenyuk on a short leash and still does (he was benched for an entire two periods for taking a bad penalty this season) and he's turning out fine so there's hope for both out prospects despite having dumb coaches.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
So no points in 5 games. On pace for 28. Third year player here. Everyone was telling me the points were going to come....

Don't see it.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
So no points in 5 games. On pace for 28. Third year player here. Everyone was telling me the points were going to come....

Don't see it.

I didn't realize that a season was 20 games long. That said IMO his play had dipped a bit from earlier in the season and he needs to pick it up a bit to be fair.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
I didn't realize that a season was 20 games long. That said IMO his play had dipped a bit from earlier in the season and he needs to pick it up a bit to be fair.

I'm just curious when the points are actually going to come. People can keep saying it, but until they actually do... I just see a player that tries really hard but can't actually get anything done at the NHL level.

I'll never in a million years question his work ethic, but there is something seriously wrong with this player... I hate it, because I really like Yakupov's personality a hell of a lot. But gosh darn he needs to be better than this in a serious way.

And unfortunately.... the season may as well have been 20 games long. Our season is long over at this stage. Not saying it's Yakupov's fault by any means, but boy could this team have used a player with more than 1/2 a dozen points on the year.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton

Don't see it.

Considering that he isn't getting much ice time and his main center is Arcobello, I think he's doing as well as he can.

Vagabond

Dec 24, 2004
Edmonton
Yaks defensive game has improved and his offensive game evaporated under Eakins. Eakins throws him under the bus tho by not allowing him to play on a different line other than the third line all season. I deem that unfair especially when both the top line and the second line has struggled all season.

I'd like to see Yakupov on a line with Nuge longer than one period or one game,.. but rather three or so games. It cant hurt. This season is over already before American Thanksgiving.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
Wow is this guy even developing into the world class sniper we drafted him at #1 for.

Amazing play as of late, so dominate out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad