Confirmed with Link: Nabokov on IR - Isles bring up Nilsson

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
I actually kinda agree with this. The season is done. The Isles would have to pull of a miracle to change this and they're not gonna do that with Justin Peters or Neuvirth. Might as well take the opportunity to see what you have in Nilsson and Poulin.

If they keep up their current pace (6-3-1 in their last 10) for the rest of the season, things would look good.

Richie Daggers Crime

Boosted 9 times double masked they/them
Mar 8, 2004
Boise
If they keep up their current pace (6-3-1 in their last 10) for the rest of the season, things would look good.

There are 38 games left in the season. They'd have to go 24-9-5 the rest of the way just to get to 90 points which would just get you in the mix for that 8th spot if everything else falls right.

CaptDenisPotvin

The Tampa Bay Astros are your 2021 Champions
Jun 20, 2007
There are 38 games left in the season. They'd have to go 24-9-5 the rest of the way just to get to 90 points which would just get you in the mix for that 8th spot if everything else falls right.

This statement, while its reality....is unbelievably disheartening. I can't believe we fell so far off the pace so fast after last year and my personal expectations of returning to the playoffs. To have to win almost 70% of the remaining games just to be relative is unreal

13th Floor

Oct 10, 2008
This statement, while its reality....is unbelievably disheartening. I can't believe we fell so far off the pace so fast after last year and my personal expectations of returning to the playoffs. To have to win almost 70% of the remaining games just to be relative is unreal

You can't lose an 1/8 of the season in a row and recover. Not in a league where teams get points for losing. More/better moves should have been made in the off-season (this has been discussed at length on this board) and more urgency to change something should have been shown when we lost every game for a month. It took way to long to make roster moves when we were in that kind of skid. Look at our record with CdH and Strome in the lineup and with PMB off of it. More desperate, urgent moves should have been made when we lost 3 or 4 in a row, not when we lost 15 of 17 games. That's what is upsetting and frustrating.

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
Agreed with Staple. Neuvirth and Scrivens are the best options. I want Scrivens and hopefully we could re-sign him.

Scrivens was pretty good on the Leafs as well, Reimer was just a bit better. Just like Bernier is just a bit better than Reimer.

I'm kind of "okay" with Poulin in net, for a little run. He's played well this year, despite the won-loss record. Isles were in a bad funk when Nabby went down that wasn't really bad goaltending...though we all know what a diff great goaltending can make.

BTrotts19

May 17, 2013
LI, NY
You can't lose an 1/8 of the season in a row and recover. Not in a league where teams get points for losing. More/better moves should have been made in the off-season (this has been discussed at length on this board) and more urgency to change something should have been shown when we lost every game for a month. It took way to long to make roster moves when we were in that kind of skid. Look at our record with CdH and Strome in the lineup and with PMB off of it. More desperate, urgent moves should have been made when we lost 3 or 4 in a row, not when we lost 15 of 17 games. That's what is upsetting and frustrating.

This....

Hip Of Rick*

Snow Must Go!
Mar 17, 2007
Philadelphia
I actually kinda agree with this. The season is done. The Isles would have to pull of a miracle to change this and they're not gonna do that with Justin Peters or Neuvirth. Might as well take the opportunity to see what you have in Nilsson and Poulin.

We have already seen what we have to a degree,not much. They both stink and have shown very little potential to be NHL starters. Developing a backup is useless, they are a dime a dozen.

I would love to take a shot at Neuvirth who has shown starter potential. He only has 1 more year on his contract after this at ~ 2.5 milliion. If we trade Bailey for him it would offset his cost and the value seems pretty close.

Richie Daggers Crime

Boosted 9 times double masked they/them
Mar 8, 2004
Boise
They finished last season 15-6-5.

Yeah. They have to be even better than that, over more games, with tighter playoff restrictions.

They would have to go on an unbelievable run... AGAIN. I suppose you can cling on to the slivers of hope that it could happen again, but the overwhelming odds are that it won't.

stranger34

Mar 6, 2007
Nassau County
good stat from the Isles radio team. Islanders 1-8-2 this season when Nabby is on IR.

That's the season right there and it's 100% on Garf.

Burakovsky95*

As a Caps fan I'd definitely suggest Neuvirth. He has really got the raw end of the deal with just really badly timed minor injuries and sicknesses. He hasn't played badly and lost his spot it's just that Varlamov, Holtby and Grubauer all were on fire when he was replaced. He's won a Memorial Cup and 2 Calder Cups in the AHL. He's also won us a playoff series in the past. He's as you probably know, not a very flashy goalie but he has a quick glove and is super positionally sound. He deserves another shot to be a starting goalie because he tends to play very well when given a heavy workload. As a backup he is pretty bad in spot starts. I'd love to see him get a shot with you guys.

Hip Of Rick*

Snow Must Go!
Mar 17, 2007
Philadelphia
good stat from the Isles radio team. Islanders 1-8-2 this season when Nabby is on IR.

That's the season right there and it's 100% on Garf.

So pathetic. As I said before if we had an actual NHL backup like we all knew was needed we would easily have 5-8 more points and be ~1-3 points out of the wildcard spot. Not unreasonable to think almost any other backup could be 4-7 in those 11 decisions.

Getting a backup should not be a challenge for a GM and Wang had nothing to do with it.

bvon44

Jul 3, 2006
Long Island
Arthur Staple ‏@StapeNewsday 11m

Don't think this news made it to the links last night: Evgeni Nabokov's injury is not considered major, likely to be out 2 weeks. #Isles

Not as bad as we imagined....

Fantom

Jan 5, 2006
Question for everybody clamoring for a goalie trade:

Who would you give up for a goalie, considering the other team would have all the leverage in the situation?

That is my issue here. We moved MM who i think was our best shot at a Goalie.
Baily would net us no return. I would not want to trade Another first either. We do not have any D men to move in FACT we need that as well.
I also would not want to move a second and risk not having a pick in the top two rounds. So i am not sure what you attempt to move. I guess you could move a Kid from Bport and Grabner and get a AVG goalie at best ?

Fantom

Jan 5, 2006
Sorry but I don't see any move for a goalie until the off-season (FA) .Were going to ride out the rest of this season with Poulin and Nilsson . Time for them to man up or get out .

I think most of agree with you. However it gives us something fun to discuss

Fantom

Jan 5, 2006
Our record since Nabbys return cannot be excused. If Garth does not go shopping, the season was never about making the playoffs it was about not spending Wangs money.

I tend to agree. However not getting a Goalie does not really show that. What a do you move and for who ?

Fantom

Jan 5, 2006
again... not being mean why trade for a band aid??? season is SHOT... play Poulin/Nilsson who really cares... GM "Clueless Back Up Goalie" isn't gonna do spit. But hey The Isles have "Donovan Ness" he is a great prospect.

Who called for a trade for a backup Goalie ?
I would only look for "starter"

Poliz24

Jun 25, 2012
LI
I really hope Nilsson becomes the starter one day, he is real big in net. Once he trains to a point where the illness isn't affecting him at all, he can be pretty good. He looks like Rinne, hope he can play like him one day!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad