Confirmed with Link: Nabokov on IR - Isles bring up Nilsson

rikker

Jun 6, 2003
Visit site
im not ready to give up on nielssen just yet, i still believe he can be a good NHL goalie…. (but if not and we make a move i hope its for a young goalie like lindback)

i am with you on that (spelled Nilsson, by the way), but according to many on this board, if you aren't a star by the time you are 24, you are a bust. he's 23, so he doesn't have much time to prove himself...

rikker

Jun 6, 2003
Visit site
Outsider pitching in: Go for Neuvirth. Outplayed by Holtby and now Grubauer as well. Paid in excess for a designated backup so shouldn't cost too much either if you're filling to give a cheaper piece back to the Caps.

i would roll the dice on him, but as others pointed out, why would a divison rival help us?

plus, he's 25. too lold. he's a bust :sarcasm:

DeanCrandall

Jan 29, 2013
Our record since Nabbys return cannot be excused. If Garth does not go shopping, the season was never about making the playoffs it was about not spending Wangs money.

Hip Of Rick*

Snow Must Go!
Mar 17, 2007
Philadelphia
I would rather do Bailey for Neuvirth. Peters has a pretty poor track record. plus I doubt Carolina would want to take on Baileys contract

Duanesutter12

Member of Lou's Orchestra
Jul 8, 2013
Hong Kong
Here's the problem with making a deal right now- every team in the league knows we are desperate for a goalie and the price ain't gonna be cheap! I really think Poulin has big time skills- he's a big bodied goalie with quick reflexes. He just flops around too much but that show go away with experience. Hopefully all this ice time he will get can speed up his development.

IslesNorway

Apr 9, 2007
Nittedal, Norway
I think you'll find it hard to find a team willing to take on Bailey's contract as it's looking more and more like an albatross for each day. The potential is still there but it seems his confidence is so far gone.

Felix Unger

Aug 2, 2005
i would roll the dice on him, but as others pointed out, why would a divison rival help us?

plus, he's 25. too lold. he's a bust :sarcasm:

Maybe you could point out the last goalie tandem of sub-.910 sv % ahl starter and sub .900 ahl backup that had a lot of success, Mr. Positive.

Going on to more constructive stuff... The only way to get a goalie worth having, at this point, is to deal *with* leverage. That is, we'd need to get a goalie back as a piece for supplying another team with what they need. So, I'm afraid to say it, but from an asset management point of view, we're better off seeing how things go, and then if signing Vanek is no possibility, use the market for Vanek to sop up a goalie that might not be available to us on a one-off.

Boston could use some more goal scoring, for example.

MDIsles

New Era
Oct 24, 2011
DE Beaches for now
again... not being mean why trade for a band aid??? season is SHOT... play Poulin/Nilsson who really cares... GM "Clueless Back Up Goalie" isn't gonna do spit. But hey The Isles have "Donovan Ness" he is a great prospect.

Bunk Moreland

Mar 16, 2010
Long Island
Staple did a run down of goalie options in his latest post:

The Caps’ Michal Neuvirth is sitting out there, having asked for a trade. My guess is the Caps might be interested in Andrew MacDonald, but I doubt Snow could give up a defenseman right now with the Isles’ D corps being so thin. Neuvirth’s trade demand may mean Caps GM George McPhee would give up the 25-year-old for a smaller return, but likely not as small as Snow would prefer.

Neuvirth could make sense going forward, with one year left on his contract.

That’s the most common-sense maneuver right now. Cam Ward is back on IR in Carolina, meaning Justin Peters isn’t available; Scott Clemmensen would be a cheap fix from Florida, but helpful? Maybe.

Jonas Hiller has found his game with Viktor Fasth out in Anaheim, so that deal may not be so cost-effective anymore. Joey MacDonald is usually available at almost no cost, but again, is that an improvement?

Ben Scrivens is an interesting name too. Martin Jones was lights out when Jonathan Quick was injured, but Scrivens wasn’t too shabby either. Of course, the Kings have a pretty good defense in front of any goaltender.

The hardest part for Snow would be parting with a second-round pick, which would seem to be the going rate for a decent goaltender. That could conceivably leave the Isles without a pick in the first two rounds of the draft, which is not part of the plan.

http://www.newsday.com/sports/hocke...100?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
If we can snag Neuvy or Scrivens i'd be very happy. 3rd rounder + Sundstrom

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
How about if we trade a 9th round pick for a new goalie coach? :sarcasm:

CaptDenisPotvin

The Tampa Bay Astros are your 2021 Champions
Jun 20, 2007
I would be lying if I said I saw Scrivens play for more than a game or two but from the numbers (admittedly on a very good Kings team) he's hands down the best option if he is indeed available. 7-5-4 with a 1.97GAA and .931 Save% ....I mean even with a drop off for all the numbers he would be an upgrade over all the goalies on the roster I would think. Nabby has played well since coming back but hasn't touched those numbers. All of it is probably moot because I'm thinking its Nilsson and Poulin until Nabby is healthy again...and we are well out of the playoff race

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
I would be lying if I said I saw Scrivens play for more than a game or two but from the numbers (admittedly on a very good Kings team) he's hands down the best option if he is indeed available. 7-5-4 with a 1.97GAA and .931 Save% ....I mean even with a drop off for all the numbers he would be an upgrade over all the goalies on the roster I would think. Nabby has played well since coming back but hasn't touched those numbers. All of it is probably moot because I'm thinking its Nilsson and Poulin until Nabby is healthy again...and we are well out of the playoff race

Scrivens gives up terrible rebounds which is ok if you have a team that can pounce on those rebounds...

Richie Daggers Crime

Boosted 9 times double masked they/them
Mar 8, 2004
Boise
again... not being mean why trade for a band aid??? season is SHOT... play Poulin/Nilsson who really cares...

I actually kinda agree with this. The season is done. The Isles would have to pull of a miracle to change this and they're not gonna do that with Justin Peters or Neuvirth. Might as well take the opportunity to see what you have in Nilsson and Poulin.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad