My top 60 so far for 2013

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
Really love Eric Comries game, I can see him rising into the top 10 if he continues developing, possibly the highest picked goalie since Carey Price. Personally love Duclair also. He's gonna be a scary player once he starts putting on weight

I love Comrie as well, but I personally think Belanger and Desrosiers are ahead of him especially Belanger....

Duclair is an amazing skater, has an amazing shot, he is exciting with the puck but one problem which might cause him to slip later in life with hockey...his hockey sense is not all there...he plays like a Maxime Afinogenov style game.

AwesomePanthers

Maybe next season
Aug 20, 2009
Marcus Søberg! Might be Norways first player to get drafted in the 1st round, he's a great prospect already.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Marcus Søberg! Might be Norways first player to get drafted in the 1st round, he's a great prospect already.

whats the likelyhood of us seeing him compete in a World Championship tourney in the next year or two? Does Norway go with strictly all professional men, or will they give a high end kid a shot to play in that tournament? I am talking WC ofcourse, and not the WJC U20 tourney...just curious is you have a high end kid talent wise that could get more attention and recognition by playing in the WC, would they do it?

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Anyone know where this kid has decided to play next year?

I'm a Tri-City Americans season ticket holder and I remember him from rookie camp. I only got to see him in a few scrimmages but you could see the talent, vision, and crisp passing. He was the only one that when he passed the puck you could hear it hit the tape of the player receiving it. I can also understand the knock on him. As good as he was you could tell he was only bringing about 75% effort, like it was beneath him a little to be scrimmaging with other 15-16 y/o's that weren't in his league. He'd make some great moves but then the puck would roll off his stick and he'd give up on the play. Still I would love to have him and I hope he chooses the Dub for his hockey development, although with California kids it may be a long shot.

Glad to see other Americans prospects on the list.

- Connor Rankin is an absolute stud. He's a top 6 forward on a team that is pretty loaded with offensive weapons and he's still a late B-day 16 y/o.

- Eric Comrie also looked very good in camp and word his he'll get a chance to compete for starter next year, even as a rookie. (a la Calvin Pickard)

Anyone that watches the LA Selects, can you tell me how Trevor Moore is doing? I really liked this kid from rookie camp. Played well enough to get listed and was moved up to main camp too. Probably irrelevant for this thread as his size will likely keep him from getting drafted and he's under the radar, but he reminded me of guy who could be a Tyler Johnson type player. He had wheels and was fearless playing against bigger guys.

Brian Williams has signed with Tri-City of the WHL and will be playing there fulltime next year, which imo is an excellent move on his part. I agree a bit with your assesment that he is such a highly skilled player at that level that maybe he didnt "bring it" every night, but he did have some injury issues this year which contributed to some of the lackluster play.

He is a highly skilled offensive player that hopefully can light it up more in the Dub then fellow former Select Shane McColgan. Comrie and Williams should make some nice additions to the Tri-City team.

As for Moore, he is a sparkplug no doubt! He is one of the faster kids I saw play tier-1 this year, but he may not get the hype or recognition because of his size and lack of physical play. But like a Tyler Johnson, if you play balls out for 4 years in the Dub and produce, someone will sign you and give you a shot at becoming a pro. We shall see.

The kid out of California that could make the biggest splash is Chase De Leo. Chase has signed with the Portland Winterhawks, and according to their coach and gm, they expect him to make an immediate impact next season which is quite amazing considering the depth of the Winterhawks.

Chase is one of the most explosive offensive players I have sen come out of that Select program in the past 7 plus years. He is a bit undersized like McColgan, but he has all the tools to be a very highly skilled offensive player in that league. I look forward to seeing much more next year from Comrie, Williams, and De Leo as all 3 will be playing pretty significant roles for their WHL squads.

The California gold rush is starting to hit the WHL.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
The Dub is going to benefit huge over the next 10 years as the Cali talent gets better and better and becomes more prevalent.

California is the big reason why I think hockey in the US will be undoubtedly producing more talent then Canada in a couple/few decades.

AwesomePanthers

Maybe next season
Aug 20, 2009
whats the likelyhood of us seeing him compete in a World Championship tourney in the next year or two? Does Norway go with strictly all professional men, or will they give a high end kid a shot to play in that tournament? I am talking WC ofcourse, and not the WJC U20 tourney...just curious is you have a high end kid talent wise that could get more attention and recognition by playing in the WC, would they do it?

I've just heard great things about him. But not matter how skilled he is I doubt he'll play in the WC in the next couple of years. We have a pretty good core now on the national team that I think Johansen will use in the next couple of years to build some chemistry.

Ams1fan

Sep 10, 2009
Thanks a bunch AmericanDream...

Since you seem to have actually watched a lot of these California kids, could you shed some light on a few more guys. After the Bantam draft, my Tri-City Americans now have 7 current or former LA Selects on their PPL. Any insight on Max Becker, Ryan Tait, Brian Williams (96), or Kody Ichinaga.

The 96 Brian Williams was the AM's first pick (they didn't have a selection until round 4) and according to the team they were targeting him as a 1st rounder and were shocked he was still there. (of course what else do you expect them to say)

It also sounds like Ryan Tait is another highly-touted player, but is undecided on his future plans.

Any info you have on these guys would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Since you seem to have actually watched a lot of these California kids, could you shed some light on a few more guys. After the Bantam draft, my Tri-City Americans now have 7 current or former LA Selects on their PPL. Any insight on Max Becker, Ryan Tait, Brian Williams (96), or Kody Ichinaga.

The 96 Brian Williams was the AM's first pick (they didn't have a selection until round 4) and according to the team they were targeting him as a 1st rounder and were shocked he was still there. (of course what else do you expect them to say)

It also sounds like Ryan Tait is another highly-touted player, but is undecided on his future plans.

Any info you have on these guys would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

No prob.

I dont get to see the LA Selects like I used to, but I still always make sure I attend their games when they play against Team Illinois, CYA, Steel, etc...

Also go twice a year to Michigan and watch some of the Belle Tire and Little Caesar games, have friends in both organizations...

Brian Williams (96) is a very talented player. I dont think he is on the same level as the 1995 version of Brian Williams, but he certainly is a very solid player. Kind of surprised that he didnt get picked in the first round but the 1996 age group for California just wasnt as high end as last years group imo. Not many Americans go first round in the WHL draft, so I really shouldnt have thought he would either, but Tri-City landed a solid player.

I think it will be awesome to hear "Brian Williams passes to..Brian Williams!". I guess from here on out, if your name is Brian Williams and you play California tier-1 hockey, then expect your name being called by Tri-City in the WHL draft!

Ryan Tait is a very special player. I really liked what I saw from him at Shattuck St Mary. I have no idea what his destination will be. I wont rule out the WHL, but it seems once you get involved with Minnesota hockey, most forget about the little ol' league up North and to the West. Tait is a very dangerous player, I have witnessed him single handedly take over games. I wish the best for him and hopes he makes the right decision for his future.

Ichinaga is all wheels man. That kid can absolutely fly. I watched him blow away JT Compher from Team Illinois, and trust me when I say that never happens. I think Ichinaga reminds me of Billy Sweatt. So much speed, but question marks over just how much he will be able to score at an above level. I would imagine that he goes to the WHL as his speed and that league would be perfect for one another. He is an exciting player no doubt.

It is nice to see the Tri-City Americans, actually drafting American players...kind of false advertising from years past! It will be exciting to follow the WHL even more then I have as more American kids that I had the pleasure of watching in Tier-1 or US Select camps make their way over there. All of those kids you named are good enough to crack WHL rosters either next year or the year after. You will have a lot to be excited about in the coming years with Tri-City that I can promise you.

The other kid out of Cali that I think is going to be a stud is Steve Owre. I think he is the best pure sniper out of that state, and I believe Medicine Hat snagged him up, and I feel they got a great one. I just think his game translates so well to the WHL that he should fit in right away when he decides to jump to the Dub.

Hope that helps any.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
Top three interesting picks in my mind are Mckinnon, Lazar amd Bowey. Also anticipating Comrie's next season. It will go a long way for him.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Has Comrie revealed his intentions for international play yet?

I'm pretty sure he only has one option: Canada. His mom is Canadian and he was born in Edmonton. He was pretty much raised and trained in California but I don't think he has American citizenship. He'll still be living in the USA when he's in the WHL so if he wants to get it he won't have to wait long though.

babyshamble

Sep 11, 2006
Oslo/Bangkok

I don`t think Markus will get picked for the WC senior team the next couple of years. But if he keeps on developing he might get a chanse in one of the four-nations tournaments. The WC is very important for Norwegian hockey and i do not think that the NT staff would pick a young inexperienced guy just to give him exposure. I also think that we have a preety strong core of forwards now and if he is to take a spot he has to be better than some of the guys that are there now. Maybe in 2013(his draft year) he is, but by that time I think that other young forwards like Mats Rosselli, Tommy Kristiansen and Sondre Olden is going to play pro and would probably be picked before him.

With that being said I expect him to be picked for the U-20`s next year and the next 3 after that. I really hope that he will have a great season for Frølunda and keeps up his development next year. This kid could be something really special. I have never seen a Norwegian player with all that raw talent before. He reminds me a lot of Mikael Bodker when he was that age.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad