My Top 10 Prospects. What’s yours?

Hatter of the Beach

I’m the real hero
Jun 26, 2017
Parkland Estates, Florida
Using HF's ranking system (8 = first liner, 7 = middle 6/top 4, 6= third liner etc)
Blue Chip/Potentially Elite
1. Zadina 8.5 C

Possible Impact NHLers (Top 6/Second pairing)
2. Rasmussen 7.5 B
3. Hronek 8 D+
4. Veleno 7 C
5. Cholowski - 7 B

NHL regulars chance to be good players
6. Berggren 8 - D (Boom or bust)
7. McIssac 7 -C
8. Svechnikov - 7 D

4th Liners/bottom pair
9. Gustav Lindstrom 6.5 B
10. Turgeon 6 A (think he's an NHLer, just not a very good one)

I think all have decent liklihood of being NHL regulars not good ones, but guys like Turgeon have high floors. Other prospects I am intrigued about are: Regula, and Pope

Picks that I don't see sticking in the NHL Salijarvi/Axel Holmstrom/Hickitts . Unsure of any of our goalies.​

Last edited:
Reactions: Ulysses31

Fil Larkmanthanasiou

Feb 10, 2018
Zadina 276
Hronek 231
Rasmussen 230
Cholowski 188
Veleno 174

Berggren 125
Svechnikov 117

McIsaac 66
Lindstrom 43
Saarijärvi 30.5
Hicketts 23.5

Larrson 10
Sulak 9
Turgeon 8
Pope 5
Regula 2

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
I like to see this after preseason when we know who is who. Last year Svechnikov was #1 , not so much now. I like to see if players like Givani Smith or svechnikov had improve their speed . We need to see how they compete at higher level.

Fil Larkmanthanasiou

Feb 10, 2018
I like to see this after preseason when we know who is who. Last year Svechnikov was #1 , not so much now. I like to see if players like Givani Smith or svechnikov had improve their speed . We need to see how they compete at higher level.
Wasn't Hronek #1 last year? Svech is #7 here this year.
I will do it again after the preseason for comparison.

Last edited:

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
what about Matt Puempel , had good numbers last year ? he is no longer prospect , but already has nhl games

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
1 Zadina
2 Rasmussen
3 Cholowski (I think he's going to be better than Hronek in the end)
4 Hronek
5 Svechnikov
6 Veleno
7 Berggren
8 Lindstrom
9 McIsaac
10 Hicketts/Saarijarvi

Svechnikov's in a pretty volatile position right now, he's going to be promoted from being a prospect some time soon, but he needs to show something to begin this season to deserve being our #5 prospect still, which is crazy compared to 15 months ago.

haha just did this in the prospects thread, copied.

1) Zadina

2) Rasmussen

3) Cholowski
4) Hronek

5) Svechnikov
6) Veleno

7) Hicketts
8) Bergren
9) Lindstrom
10) McIssac

I have my top 6 the exact same as both of these and definitely agree with the tiers on the second one. Svech vs Veleno is a tough one for me. Svechnikov wasnt great last year and Veleno finished the year really strong. But Svech also has a really good rookie pro season on his resume. After 6, I think some order of Bergrren, Lindstrom, Hicketts and McIsaac is right, I just dont know what order to put them in.

I think Larsson is a dark horse here. Goalies are weird and hes a long way off pro hockey so I dont have him top 10 but he could be good. And David Pope I dont have ranked because hes a wild card and a bit older but 6'4 and 200+ pounds going over a point per game in the NCAA is something to take notice of. Could be a Franzen type late bloomer after his last 2 very solid NCAA seasons

Reactions: Oddbob

Fil Larkmanthanasiou

Feb 10, 2018
what about Matt Puempel , had good numbers last year ? he is no longer prospect , but already has nhl games
He is. I wouldn't put him in my top 1o though. Sure he put up great numbers in GR but he is much older than anybody we listed. He will soon be reaching the twilight of his physical prime.

turkleton85

Dec 12, 2017
1. Zadina 8.5 B
2. Hronek 8 C-
3. Svechnikov 7.5 C-
4. Rasmussen 7.0 B
5. Berggren 8 D-
6. Cholowski 7 C
7. Veleno 7 C
8. Hicketts 6.5 C
9. McIsaac 6.5 C
10. Saarijärvi 7.5 E+

i still believe in svechnikov, i would prefer him playing more of the skill game he showed when he was younger, but i thought he looked solid in his games in detroit. I hope he shows us something​

Fil Larkmanthanasiou

Feb 10, 2018
1. Zadina 8.5 B
2. Hronek 8 C-
3. Svechnikov 7.5 C-
4. Rasmussen 7.0 B
5. Berggren 8 D-
6. Cholowski 7 C
7. Veleno 7 C
8. Hicketts 6.5 C
9. McIsaac 6.5 C
10. Saarijärvi 7.5 E+

i still believe in svechnikov, i would prefer him playing more of the skill game he showed when he was younger, but i thought he looked solid in his games in detroit. I hope he shows us something​
He actually looked a lot more skilled in his first year with the Griffs before regressing horribly last year.

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
1. Zadina
2. Hronek
3. Rasmussen
4. Veleno
5. Cholowski
6. McIsaac
7. Svechnikov
8. Berggren
9. Larsson
10. Regula
11. G. Smith
12. Lindstrom
13. Pope
14. Turgeon
15. Pearson
16. Hicketts
17. Kotkansalo
18. Barton
19. Petruzzelli
20. Ehn/Holway

EDIT: before I catch flak, no Sulak. Don't consider him a prospect.

Last edited:

turkleton85

Dec 12, 2017
He actually looked a lot more skilled in his first year with the Griffs before regressing horribly last year.

yes, thats what i meant. i hope he doesn't think he has to turn into some kind of bruiser...his call up this year wasn't to bad, i thought, given his 4th line minutes. But what was really alarming was that he did almost nothing after he returned to grand rapids. I like him as a prospect, i would be a shame if he doesn't make it. such a cool player

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
01. Filip Zadina
02. Michael Rasmussen
03. Filip Hronek
04. Joe Veleno
05. Dennis Cholowski
06. Evgeny Svechnikov
07. Jonatan Berggren
08. Jared McIsaac
09. Filip Larsson
10. Gustav Lindstrom

Honorable mention: Saarijarvi, Fulcher, Regula, G.Smith

FunkyColdZadina

Jun 26, 2018
1. Zadina
2. Hronek
3. Rasmussen
4. Cholowski
5. Veleno
6. Svechnikov
7. Berggren
8. McIssac
9. Lindstrom
10. Larsson

Notes: I don't consider Pope or Sulak prospects due to their age. 1 is a lock, gave the nod to Hronek at 2 since Rass looks more like a winger than a C at the next level right now. I think Cholowski has potential to end up being the 2nd best player on this list but Hronek's pro experience and Rassmussen's NHL readiness get them ranked higher right now. I really like Veleno and think he can be a 2C if he bulks up and is paired with a winger that can help him drive the play offensively.

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
1. Zadina 9
2. Rasmussen 7
3. Hronek 6
3. Cholowski 6
3. McIsaac 6
4. Svechnikov 5.5
5. Veleno 5
Everyone else. is a career AHLer or a Lashoff-type.

It's an ugly prospect pool, IMO, still. Too many guys with next to no chance (historically speaking) of making it, who haven't shown more than a vague glimmer. That said, I don't know that you expect more. The team has only been really bad for about two seasons and the top end of our previous drafts are already in the NHL. Ideally, all of those grades keep improving, and some part of that D group proves it belongs in the NHL.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
1. Zadina 9
2. Rasmussen 7
3. Hronek 6
3. Cholowski 6
3. McIsaac 6
4. Svechnikov 5.5
5. Veleno 5
Everyone else. is a career AHLer or a Lashoff-type.

It's an ugly prospect pool, IMO, still. Too many guys with next to no chance (historically speaking) of making it, who haven't shown more than a vague glimmer. That said, I don't know that you expect more. The team has only been really bad for about two seasons and the top end of our previous drafts are already in the NHL. Ideally, all of those grades keep improving, and some part of that D group proves it belongs in the NHL.

Berggren says Hi.

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
Berggren says Hi.

*waves*

I didn't forget to include him, if that's what you're saying. I hope he pushes forward this season, but I've been re-watching some of his U18 tournament games and I can't say more than 'meh'. A couple of nice passes. A lot of puck luck. I hope he proves me wrong.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad