Proposal: My three trades to kick start the Canucks rebuild

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Always fun to throw trade mud against the wall to see what sticks....but Canuck fans would circle Rogers Arena with torches and baseball bats if Jimbo pulled off any of those deals.

And even if Miller waives, he's not going anywhere near the Blues....was a failure last time and cost the Blues plenty...besides if they don't get out of their funk by the deadline, even a new goalie isn't going to get them back in it.

Edler would be the perfect guy to deal but he isn't waiving his NTC either...lots of teams could use Tanev, but won't step up with a package which makes sense.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
I don't understand why Canucks fans both try and tell us that Tanev is super-duper incredible...but they constantly offer him up in trade proposals.

Cause hes 27 and we need to rebuild. By the time we are ready to compete again he will be early 30s

EP to Kuzmenko

Dec 5, 2015
I don't understand why Canucks fans both try and tell us that Tanev is super-duper incredible...but they constantly offer him up in trade proposals.

Simple, we are 4 years from competing and he will be starting his decline by then. better to get something that will help in 4 years than something that helps now. tanev is not easily replaced by any means, but we will get by.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Tanev for nothing prospects after the past 8 months of Toronto offers of crap prospects and middle picks? Yeah dude just no. Remove your Canucks fan tag and hang your head in shame. These are just awful.

They're not nothing prospects; they're just nowhere near enough for Tanev by themselves.

VanIsle Canucks

Jan 26, 2017
Agree with what many others have said...unlikely trades. Elder won't waive and we'd need a large return for Tanev.
Miller is a good idea but not stl again, maybe Dallas would be willing to part with something useful if we took a goalie back? Canucks need someone to play with markstrom next year and Dallas has some 20 something pro-spect/jects that Benning seems to enjoy. Ritchie?
What about the usual suspects of Burrows, Hansen & Sbisa?
Burrows (retain$$) to Mtl for DLR + pick
Hansen to Chi for 1st or prospect & later pick
Sbisa + to Buf for Kane
And just because...Sutter to Mtl for 1st & DD...then...Hutton, Mtl. 1st, Brisebois to Col for Duchene.

Wishful thinking.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Add in another piece like a 2nd round pick or JFK or something and i'd be into the Edler deal for Zboril. But Edler has a NTC he doesn't seem inclined to waive, and Boston are in a similar sort of situation to the Canucks anway - to where i can't imagine why they'd be dealing good futures pieces for an older defenceman. Unless it's a desperation ploy.

The other two proposals are just ghastly. St.Louis have literally seen firsthand what happens when you transplant Ryan Miller mid-season. It doesn't work, he's spoken candidly about how disruptive it was for him and how that played into his struggles. I don't know why anyone would think that's a good idea, or why Canucks fans would expect him to have any real value as a deadline rental in light of that.

The Tanev trade is just an abomination. That's not even close to the right type of pieces to warrant moving an excellent top pairing shutdown defenceman on a great contract. To even consider a Tanev trade, quality would have to be the top priority.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
So we get Zboril, Heatherington, Milano, Nuutivara and a second for....the only reasons outside of Horvat we have any wins to speak of (and a fourth)?

Yeah, I don't really see that as being a proper fit.

Gear up, go after Duchene, or Landeskog, or even Hanzal, or Tavares, or whoever the rumour mill has pointed our way. Scoring has been a big issue, our D looks solid on paper, and goaltending has been the only strength I can identify on this team this year. The only thing these trades do is give us a dogfight for the bottom this year with Arizona and Colorado, and even that isn't a guarantee of success in a weak draft.

We trade D for forward help, it doesn't seem like rocket science to me. It might to Benning and company, but even around here, young scoring help has been what HFers have identified as what the Canucks need and should target.

Tanev isn't the best fit to Columbus (as a right handed D), Edler isn't a good fit to Boston (age, NTC), and Miller to St Louis isn't the worst idea on paper, but in reality there is way too much working against it. All this and I don't see it making the Canucks any better, even assuming we get Patrick with our now premiere lottery pick.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver

maybe it's because we an insanely large fan base and just because a few people offer him up doesn't mean the majority of our fan base wants to.

or maybe it's because he's really good at ice hockey but he won't be in his prime when we're reading g compete and right now is the time to maximize his value.

this place is so dumb, if we offer our spare parts people say "lmao canucks fans aren't willing to give away anything gus!!11!" and when we look to trade good players for reasons like stated above people say "lol why would we want someone you want to give away, keep him!!-!-!-!-"

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Vancouver needs to kick into rebuild mode sooner then later. The Sedins wont be trades. But the Canucks needs to move out some players to get younger, fresher blood in the system.

here are my ideas

1) Ryan Miller and a 4th to St Louis for their 2nd(if the blues get to the conference finals it becomes a 1st) and Adam Musil--It is not a deep draft--the key for the Canucks is Musil. Key for the Blues is they get a goalie that can help get them into the wild card position

2) Alex Edler to Boston for Jakub Zboril. Edler is signed for 2 more years and helps shores up the bruins and Zboril is developing nicely--but a little bit slow for the bruins.

3) Tanev to the Blue Jackets for Markus Nutivaara, Sonny Milano and Dillon Heatherington---Blue Jackets are heading into the play off and will be needing more experience D and are in win now mode. Tanev is young enough to be around for maybe 10 more years. Nutivaara is already in the NHL, with Milano nearly ready and Heatherington ready in two years. This get the Jackets into war that is coming for the playoffs

If you want to rebuild, you need to identify the select few players you want to keep, Horvat (whatever else) and strip the rest. Embrace the bottom. It's unlikely teams are giving away the prospects you covet for the players mentioned.
You can't stay middle of the pack. Acquire as many draft picks as possible. Bottom out for a couple/few years. You need to draft key core players. The ones you can't trade for.

OCPenguin

Jan 22, 2013
I'd assume Nucks will ask for Wennberg if they're trading Tanev, and we all know where that trade is going to end up. Carry on.

Columbus laughs at this. Tanev is a solid player, but people continue to grossly overrate him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad