Proposal: My three trades to kick start the Canucks rebuild

byrath

Jan 28, 2008
St. Louis, MO
It's late winter, 2034. Rather, it's when winter once would have glowered a final storm our way; today the winds pile the scorched dust against the Scottrade Center year-round. The Blues are five points back of the Kansas City Kings. It's just the two of them, now; the bombs didn't fall so hard on Missouri.

"Can't get a save," croaks Doug Armstrong. Silence. Fewer, leaner faces look back at him than before. Silence. The latest water rations have occupied their minds, maybe; maybe they've simply run out of ideas.

Five seconds pass, then ten. 6-5 last night, despite a 44-27 shot advantage.

20 seconds. An old scout at the back of the room clears his throat. "Hear Ryan Miller's been workin' out."

A coyote bays.

A+. :handclap:

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
The Bruins are on the verge of being sellers. In my opinion, Boston wouldn't make that trade for Edler.

PetterssonSimp

Dec 12, 2008
These are type of trades to kick start a rebuild and get yourself fired in the process. While playing EA NHL 17, let alone real life.
St Louis fans have been sayjng all along they'd just ride Allen into the tank if the deal doesn't remove Allen from their long term cap. Do I want Allen? Not really but he's a good tank goalie, maybe Allen Enroth next season tandem for a #1 pick? Lol
Edler to Boston for so little is awful. Who the **** plays defence for Vancouver next season? Please don't give DimJim ideas that re-signing Gudbranson for Tanev money is actually a good idea. It's not.
Tanev for nothing prospects after the past 8 months of Toronto offers of crap prospects and middle picks? Yeah dude just no. Remove your Canucks fan tag and hang your head in shame. These are just awful.

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
Tanev is who I want in buffalo. Not just because I was at RIT with him. If futures is what Vancouver wants I have low mileage Nylander or possibly a 2017 1st that can be used.

PetterssonSimp

Dec 12, 2008
Tanev is who I want in buffalo. Not just because I was at RIT with him. If futures is what Vancouver wants I have low mileage Nylander or possibly a 2017 1st that can be used.

Why is Buffalo in a Tanev race? Bogosian and Risto on the right side why do you need another RHD? Pushing Bogo and his big cap hit to the 3RD spot doesn't sound very cap managing. Also aren't your real needs at #1LD and bottom 6 centre?

Mal Reynolds

never goes smooth, how come it never goes smooth?
Sep 28, 2008
Why is Buffalo in a Tanev race? Bogosian and Risto on the right side why do you need another RHD? Pushing Bogo and his big cap hit to the 3RD spot doesn't sound very cap managing. Also aren't your real needs at #1LD and bottom 6 centre?

Presumably they'd then dump Bogo...? :dunno:

Edit: Bit surprised BUF would dangle those assets for Tanev. Kinda assuming this is an isolated fan who would play a premium for an asset that isn't a pressing need

Last edited:

Mal Reynolds

never goes smooth, how come it never goes smooth?
Sep 28, 2008
Vancouver needs to kick into rebuild mode sooner then later. The Sedins wont be trades. But the Canucks needs to move out some players to get younger, fresher blood in the system.

here are my ideas

1) Ryan Miller and a 4th to St Louis for their 2nd(if the blues get to the conference finals it becomes a 1st) and Adam Musil--It is not a deep draft--the key for the Canucks is Musil. Key for the Blues is they get a goalie that can help get them into the wild card position

2) Alex Edler to Boston for Jakub Zboril. Edler is signed for 2 more years and helps shores up the bruins and Zboril is developing nicely--but a little bit slow for the bruins.

3) Tanev to the Blue Jackets for Markus Nutivaara, Sonny Milano and Dillon Heatherington---Blue Jackets are heading into the play off and will be needing more experience D and are in win now mode. Tanev is young enough to be around for maybe 10 more years. Nutivaara is already in the NHL, with Milano nearly ready and Heatherington ready in two years. This get the Jackets into war that is coming for the playoffs

1) Don't know that there's much of a market for Miller (especially given guys like Fleury, Bishop, etc etc are available). Highly doubt the Blues go down that road again

2) Big fat "meh" from a Canucks POV... also doubtful Edler waives. B's probably would be reluctant to dangle futures for a defenseman Edler's age anyway

3) Gawdawful tbh. Our biggest trade chip - and arguably one we should hold on to even if we're rebuilding - for *that*...? No thanks. Not to mention C-Bus likely couldn't protect Tanev, or at least would then lose another valuable d-man in expansion

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012

Bogo isn't a top 4 solution. Reality is Buffalo needs 1 RHD and 1 LHD who can both play in the top 4. Getting Tanev would be a huge fix to play with McCabe. Kulikov has had the most unlucky season ever and Bogo ranges for absolute disaster to just competent on shift by shift basis. Replacing Bogo's minutes with someone more consistent is an absolute priority and should be Murray's #1. We've managed to go from stacked with blue line prospects to almost barren in 3 years. Finding a way out from Bogo's contract isn't necessary with the money coming off the books the next 3 seasons. Ideally we'd find a way to move him but it's not pressing. I'll also admit that I'm much more interested in moving futures for defense that can play now instead of taking several years drafting and developing them.

ATypicalCanadian

Apr 30, 2015
Canada
I don't understand why Canucks fans both try and tell us that Tanev is super-duper incredible...but they constantly offer him up in trade proposals.

The reason is he's our most valuable trading chip if we do move him. This team needs a youth injection so so badly and what we have besides Tanev might get good pieces, but Tanev can bring the big boost to a rebuild we'll need. He's 28 now and by the time we're good he'll be in his mid-late 30's plus his value will never be higher than it is now.

Other guys won't garner as much value or draw in as much interest.

PetterssonSimp

Dec 12, 2008
Bogo isn't a top 4 solution. Reality is Buffalo needs 1 RHD and 1 LHD who can both play in the top 4. Getting Tanev would be a huge fix to play with McCabe. Kulikov has had the most unlucky season ever and Bogo ranges for absolute disaster to just competent on shift by shift basis. Replacing Bogo's minutes with someone more consistent is an absolute priority and should be Murray's #1. We've managed to go from stacked with blue line prospects to almost barren in 3 years. Finding a way out from Bogo's contract isn't necessary with the money coming off the books the next 3 seasons. Ideally we'd find a way to move him but it's not pressing. I'll also admit that I'm much more interested in moving futures for defense that can play now instead of taking several years drafting and developing them.

Bogosian Gudbranson two guys drafted 3rd overall as defenceman who are not very good defenceman.

But this I understand, the Sabres paid pretty big for Kulikov, I do think the Sabres are a lot closer to the playoffs than Toronto. Also seems more willing to deal to get there as well considering their top forwards are not much older than A. Nylander, I can see why at least one guy who do this deal.

But if the basis is to trade our whole top pairing, Tanev gone without some type of potential defenceman coming back isn't a good idea. The Edler idea to Boston I had included two of those 15-17th overall guys they took in that draft they had 3 simultaneous picks. This OP would leave Vancouver very Edmonton-Pre-McDavid era like. Not a path I wanna look down

ATypicalCanadian

Apr 30, 2015
Canada
Which by all accounts, It's sounding like he wont waive. Kind of sounding like Edler wants to stay in Vancouver.

He won't even be asked to waive since management has said they won't ask NTC's to be waived and we won't see guys traded at the deadline because it's a distraction.

Unless something changes Edler and others are staying.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
It's late winter, 2034. Rather, it's when winter once would have glowered a final storm our way; today the winds pile the scorched dust against the Scottrade Center year-round. The Blues are five points back of the Kansas City Kings. It's just the two of them, now; the bombs didn't fall so hard on Missouri.

"Can't get a save," croaks Doug Armstrong. Silence. Fewer, leaner faces look back at him than before. Silence. The latest water rations have occupied their minds, maybe; maybe they've simply run out of ideas.

20 seconds. An old scout at the back of the room clears his throat. "Hear Ryan Miller's been workin' out."

A coyote bays.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Please expand this into a novel.

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
The blues need a goalie but they're not going to be going for Miller again. Edler to Boston for Zboril though is a workable deal.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013

A coyote bays.

:laugh:

ginner classic

Dammit Jim!
Mar 4, 2002
Douglas Park
Vancouver needs to kick into rebuild mode sooner then later. The Sedins wont be trades. But the Canucks needs to move out some players to get younger, fresher blood in the system.

here are my ideas

1) Ryan Miller and a 4th to St Louis for their 2nd(if the blues get to the conference finals it becomes a 1st) and Adam Musil--It is not a deep draft--the key for the Canucks is Musil. Key for the Blues is they get a goalie that can help get them into the wild card position

2) Alex Edler to Boston for Jakub Zboril. Edler is signed for 2 more years and helps shores up the bruins and Zboril is developing nicely--but a little bit slow for the bruins.

3) Tanev to the Blue Jackets for Markus Nutivaara, Sonny Milano and Dillon Heatherington---Blue Jackets are heading into the play off and will be needing more experience D and are in win now mode. Tanev is young enough to be around for maybe 10 more years. Nutivaara is already in the NHL, with Milano nearly ready and Heatherington ready in two years. This get the Jackets into war that is coming for the playoffs

None of these deals make any sense. Were Benning to have any interest in doing the right thing, we'd ship out Hansen, Burrows and Miller before the deadline. Seems so simple and obvious. But Benning...

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact coming my way!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
Once the teams with less games played catch up with us, it will be clear to everyone that we will be SELLERS.

Paulinvancouver

Gas station in Carbondale did not have fresh yams!
Dec 19, 2015
Regardless of how dumb these trades are, linden has stated they want to retool on the fly. It's obviously owners would rather have a couple games of playoff revenue than better this team. So they'll never happen.

You might see a small deal or two with our ufas but I'm not expecting much at the deadline, even though I'd like to.

ginner classic

Dammit Jim!
Mar 4, 2002
Douglas Park
Regardless of how dumb these trades are, linden has stated they want to retool on the fly. It's obviously owners would rather have a couple games of playoff revenue than better this team. So they'll never happen.

You might see a small deal or two with our ufas but I'm not expecting much at the deadline, e6ven though I'd like to.

They are not making the playoffs and this will be painfully obvious after the next six games to even the diluded management team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad