My resignation as a Canucks fan

PavelBure10

The Russian Rocket
Aug 25, 2009
Okanagan
To be fair to OP, he never came back.

The person is welcome to come back. A fan could be a casual one who watches the Canucks occasionally. Or a diehard that never misses a game. Either way it's your choice on how you support your favorite team. Those Benning years were amongst the hardest Canuck years I've ever seen, I don't blame people for not wanting to support Aquillini and the pain he put us through during the Benning era. It was tough to watch, but for me as a die hard fan it was like watching a train wreck, I couldn't turn away. So, so glad that it's over.

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
The person is welcome to come back. A fan could be a casual one who watches the Canucks occasionally. Or a diehard that never misses a game. Either way it's your choice on how you support your favorite team. Those Benning years were amongst the hardest Canuck years I've ever seen, I don't blame people for not wanting to support Aquillini and the pain he put us through during the Benning era. It was tough to watch, but for me as a die hard fan it was like watching a train wreck, I couldn't turn away. So, so glad that it's over.
OP returning:

1713373903955.png

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
The day Benning’s last contract got extended really was a punch to the gut. I think most of us here were starting to question if this team was worth following until he was gone. I definitely took a step back until he was finally let go. This is entertainment after all and while the memes and train wreck was entertaining in a way, it wasn’t fun anymore.

Last edited:

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
I have no desire to play 'told you so', but I always thought a lot of people were being needlessly pessimistic last year. Convincing themselves that the Canucks had no way forward without selling players like Miller for futures, or that the stronger play under Tocchet was just a 'new coach bounce' like Boudreau the year prior. Equating management not doing what they wanted them to do with management still being incompetent and not much different than Benning. The latter which kind of offended me in a way because it really undersells just how damn incompetent Benning was at the job.

We'll see how it goes the next few years but the Canucks now stand as an example of the point I always tried to make, that winning is much less about building up a deep prospect pool and more about getting together a small collection of elite players. Not only is this more important but it's also far harder, as any regularly incompetent manager sell at the deadline and accumulate a good prospect pool.

Normally these two things go hand in hand, if you're bad enough to acquire elite players through the draft then you're also in a position to be building a top prospect pool at the same time. Benning was just so special that he completely missed out on the latter, and being denied that a good 8 years or so seemed to break a lot of Canuck fans as new management carried on trying to build without it.

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
Sure, but making a thread to announce it on this board is cringe beyond measure.

Usually people who do this sort of thing are looking for the "no, pls stay" energy from people.

Making a thread is being an attention whore to the max. Just stop watching/posting on the boards.

I’m sure that poster was just a really young dude that still doesn’t have his emotions in control, if that’s the case then I understand.

But if that dude was at the age where most of us posters here are… like 30 plus to 50 then yea it’s pretty damn cringe saying “no please stay” to a 30+ year old dude and then the dude saying “Nooo my time is up”. And a bunch of us old geezers saying “Nooo stay”

That would be ******* cringy as f***.

I hope this is not the case here.

Reactions: DiggerDan

Pennask

Jul 28, 2020
On a lake
If you guys hate me now I completely understand, but I can't support the Aquilini group anymore. They think they're still in 2011 but are at the verge of getting worse, worse, and worse. Pretty much a bigger dumpsterfire since the Oilers. All I find the Aquilini's don't care about the fans of the Vancouver Canucks with the rich history of Trevor Linden, and you would've thought the franchise would've learned from Mark Messier, but now it's basically them handing the franchise to JT Miller who has been a cancer for this team (loved him in the first year, but now he's acting like it's his team).

But after the news about Tocchet coming in JUST for JT Miller, who literally put Delia under the spot for not going to the bench in an unprofessional manner, just shows how much of a joke this franchise is. Even signing him to that dumb contract. This whole season has been a dumpster fire, and they deserve to be last place. Mind you, the Canucks need to liquidate that entire team as it stands now. I thought Boudreau was doing a great job too.

I might return if they get new ownership, get rid of Miller, but for now I am moving onto the Seattle Kraken considering I had a soft spot for them since the beginning.

Wow, you nailed this one. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
I give anyone a pass because FAQ and Benning f***ed us up to a point where we were skeptical of everything. Every single move is still like "how are we going to get f***ed over."

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
tbh the fact that quinn didn’t sweep the team awards—mvp, most exciting—is a throw the jersey on the ice moment

like how the f can we complain about imaginary future norris voters when our own team awards can’t get it right?

embarrassing

ginner classic

Dammit Jim!
Mar 4, 2002
Douglas Park
I drew many lines in the sand. The main one was Benning gone before I would spend a penny. I said the same about Aqua last season. Sell the team or I won't support it. I have not financially done anything that would contribute directly to their bottom line since. Not even a ball cap. I still want him gone.

But I am back watching games on a semi regular basis. In the last four Benning years, that was not the case.

Reactions: Indiana

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
Didn't watch a single full game this year, don't know the numbers of all the players. I watched tonight's game and I enjoyed it because of the playoff atmosphere, but I still don't think I'll be watching 82 regular season games ever again and I'm fine with that

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad