Proposal: My Outlook of Potential Toews to Montreal Trade

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
You want a number 1 center or not. he signed for about 5-6 more years he will be 36 when done he gets 30 goals 30 assist playing the #1 c role your team doesnt have. You get a 8th over all pick back where a few good centers sit and you lose the chcuky problem. and get another 2nd next years draft.

For once, I agree with you. We’ll have 18m cap space next season with no one but Danault to re-up. Toews-Galchenyuk only cost us 5m on the cap. We could draft a solid LHD prospect and somehow still manage to make a trade for a 2C with plenty of cap space available

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
You want a number 1 center or not. he signed for about 5-6 more years he will be 36 when done he gets 30 goals 30 assist playing the #1 c role your team doesnt have.

Toews pt totals the last 3 years:
58 pts
58 pts (21 goals)
52 pts (20 goals)

For a guy paid 10.5 m, he's clearly not producing anywhere near what he should. He's a low end 1C now.

Furthermore, if we acquire Toews it means we are going all in the next few years. However, we lost Galchenyuk and Zadina in the trade, who would be in the line up next season.
Will toews bring more offense than Galchenyuk and Zadina combined in the next few years? I doubt it. In fact, I could very well see Galchenyuk outproducing Toews in the next few years and beyond. He had only 1 less pt than Toews this year.
Whoever we pick 8th will take at least a few years to make it to the nhl.

Adding Toews, but subtracting Galchenyuk and Zadina will not change the anemic offense of the habs. It will likely make it worse.

So theres no point in doing this trade for the habs.

Last edited:

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
My outlook on your outlook:

You typed all that up based on an Eklund rumor?!
lmao exacly. He tweaked a HockeyBuzz trade proposal wich was.

Galchenyuk
2nd

for

Toews
8OV

Wich he knew he would of get bashed for it, so he added the 3OV from Montreal side.

As a habs fine i declines this.

I would do the Hockeybuzz proposal in a heartbeat and take Toews contract in order to draft Kotkaniemi lmao. its a bad trade for chicago tho, they could probably get more for an other team to take Toews and 8OV i was never high on Toews and even less right now but he's still a very good 2C who can eat alot of minute on.

Deam78

Aug 16, 2017
Hawks should do this in theory because the value is there, but would never trade Toews in practice.
Montreal shouldn't do it in theory, but they just might in practice as that 1C thing is overblown.

BlueBull

Habby Man
Oct 11, 2017
Vancouver Island
lmao exacly. He tweaked a HockeyBuzz trade proposal wich was.

Galchenyuk
2nd

for

Toews
8OV

Wich he knew he would of get bashed for it, so he added the 3OV from Montreal side.

As a habs fine i declines this.

I would do the Hockeybuzz proposal in a heartbeat and take Toews contract in order to draft Kotkaniemi lmao. its a bad trade for chicago tho, they could probably get more for an other team to take Toews and 8OV i was never high on Toews and even less right now but he's still a very good 2C who can eat alot of minute on.
no I did not. complete coincidence. I heard that chicago and montreal were in trade talks, so i did this.

Mackiaveli

Nov 24, 2015
This is what I think it could look like.
:hawks acquires
Alex Galchenyuk
3rd overall pick

:habs acquires
Johnathan Toews
8th overall pick
2019 Conditional 2nd round pick (If Galchenyuk scores over 60 points, it's a 2nd. If not, it's two third rounders, one in 2019 and the other in 2020.

This helps montreal alot. They finally get a number one center for the first time since Saku Koivu, and have potential to get another (if they reach) in a player by the name of Joe Veleno.
Does this make sense/work?

Absolutely not.

As Hawks fans have noted, he won't be traded; his value to Chicago is way more than just his play on the ice.

As a Habs fan, his contract is on par with Weber and Price's in term of terrible. I am absolutely not willing to move the 3rd overall pick for Toews 1:1, let alone throwing in Galchenyuk.

Toews would absolutely be the best C we've had since Koivu, but it isn't even remotely worth the price that Chicago would want to be paid.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Habs are really in a tough spot.
You can't really 'tank' properly with Weber and Price on your team unless they miss significant time with injuries/have injury problems.

This trade value isn't actually super far off, but I don't see Toews ever leaving Chicago.

Montreal would certainly get their 1C though. At the expense of moving down a few spots in a draft and losing an okay top 6 winger; not the worst thing in the world.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
Alex Galchenyuk
3rd overall pick

Johnathan Toews
8th overall pick
2019 Conditional 2nd round pick (If Galchenyuk scores over 60 points, it's a 2nd. If not, it's two third rounders, one in 2019 and the other in 2020.

This helps montreal alot. They finally get a number one center for the first time since Saku Koivu, and have potential to get another (if they reach) in a player by the name of Joe Veleno.
A hard and easy pass from the Habs. The Hawks would have to retain 2 mil and i still don't think i would do it.

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
Alex Galchenyuk
3rd overall pick

Johnathan Toews
8th overall pick

so stupid for the habs. And because of bargain-bin's dumb trades for older assets this rumor will have legs. Under 0 circumstance should mtl be touching this. none. Nothing against Toes, but he's a 30 y.o, 50 pt center making 10.5 mill right now. his best years are behind him. I could careless about the price / weber window. Sane hab fans keep chucky and the 3rd and keep building around youth. Trade weber and price before adding toews.

IF hawks we desperate to move toews, i wouldn't do it by giving up those assets, and certainly not without a cap dump like alzner or shaw going back - which chicago would not accept

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
Habs are really in a tough spot.
You can't really 'tank' properly with Weber and Price on your team unless they miss significant time with injuries/have injury problems.

This trade value isn't actually super far off, but I don't see Toews ever leaving Chicago.

Montreal would certainly get their 1C though. At the expense of moving down a few spots in a draft and losing an okay top 6 winger; not the worst thing in the world.
I don’t think they have to tank. Bargain bin needs to be smart. He has 6 of first 65 picks this year. They can replenish fast. Marc needs to be tactical in finding a younger C or one he doesn’t have to give significant assets for

JohnKordicsGhost

Jul 1, 2013
f*** no from this former habs fan. were tired of getting bent over by chicago and the rangers/ whiile we have you on the phone, please take marc bergevin back you f***ing jerks!

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
What if the habs had all three of these in, say, 2013-14? how would that look?

of course. but that's 5 years ago. unless habs rebuild, bergevin has to be super smart in how he moves forward. Obviously the long shot is Tavares, but Toews doesn't solve anything without setting franchise back even further. He'll require too many assets to give up, assets essential to a retool. Pacioretty + 2nd is the move to make for a younger 2C ...then try the UFA market. otherwise tank another year and sell-off 31 and 6

Kraken Jokes

May 28, 2010
I don't hate the concept of this deal but it does favour Chicago value-wise in my opinion, and Toews at 10.5M handcuffs the Habs too much. Retention ($2+M) would be necessary and I'd still want a sweetener from Chicago.

Reactions: Runner77

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
I don't hate the concept of this deal but it does favour Chicago value-wise in my opinion, and Toews at 10.5M handcuffs the Habs too much. Retention ($2+M) would be necessary and I'd still want a sweetener from Chicago.

Normally I would not want to retain on anyone, but if you’re saying retaining 2.5M makes you comfortable with the original trade idea including the pick swap, I don’t think that’s unreasonable. What kind of sweetener do you think is fair?

Kraken Jokes

May 28, 2010
Normally I would not want to retain on anyone, but if you’re saying retaining 2.5M makes you comfortable with the original trade idea including the pick swap, I don’t think that’s unreasonable. What kind of sweetener do you think is fair?

Toews (@8M), 8ov, 27ov
~for~
Galchenyuk, 3ov, 56ov

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Toews (@8M), 8ov, 27ov
~for~
Galchenyuk, 3ov, 56ov

Yeah, that seems fair, I’d be down for it. It definitely doesn’t seem like we are getting a great deal or giving too much to me, seems like a good hockey trade. Montreal finds a creative way to trade down and potentially gain 2 centers, Drouin moves to wing, Hawks get younger and get a player that can jump into the lineup right away at No. 3. Some Hawks fans probably will not like retaining, but you can’t expect Montreal to roster 3 guys making 30M.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Yes from this Hawks fan, you rarely see a proposal like this that benefits both teams.

I'm no way shape or form does this benefit the Habs. They drop back 5 spots, receive a declining 2nd line C who's overpaid by $4-5M and giveaway one of the only youngish talents they have on their roster.

It would be hilariously bad for the Habs.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
I'm no way shape or form does this benefit the Habs. They drop back 5 spots, receive a declining 2nd line C who's overpaid by $4-5M and giveaway one of the only youngish talents they have on their roster.

It would be hilariously bad for the Habs.

Agreed, I was wrong, it needed some ironing out. Toews is not 4-5M overpaid, he’d get 8M offers for 5 years from a lot of teams if he was a UFA. A change of scenery seems like it would help though, especially to a place like Montreal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad