Proposal: My Outlook of Potential Toews to Montreal Trade

BlueBull

Habby Man
Oct 11, 2017
Vancouver Island
This is what I think it could look like.
:hawks acquires
Alex Galchenyuk
3rd overall pick

:habs acquires
Johnathan Toews
8th overall pick
2019 Conditional 2nd round pick (If Galchenyuk scores over 60 points, it's a 2nd. If not, it's two third rounders, one in 2019 and the other in 2020.

This helps montreal alot. They finally get a number one center for the first time since Saku Koivu, and have potential to get another (if they reach) in a player by the name of Joe Veleno.
Does this make sense/work?

Reactions: ColdSteel2

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011

He's one of the reasons they became relevant again. His value to the franchise is huge. He might be overpaid by a couple million, but there is no way Chicago trades him. He's one of the few players in the league that will and should stay with the club for his career.

He's still a great player, he just hasn't had great wingers to play with to boost his numbers like he had in the past.

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis
I think Blackhawks should do this trade they free up 5.5 million. They get Svechnikov or zadina and get a young lw winger signed for two more years at resonable rate. I think they do this it would allow them cap to figure out their horrible aging defense.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
If Chicago can retain 2M and we drop the conditional 2nd, I’d be willing to make that trade.

We get a much needed 2-way C and can still draft a solid prospect at #8.

theghost1

Oct 30, 2017
This is what I think it could look like.
:hawks acquires
Alex Galchenyuk
3rd overall pick

:habs acquires
Johnathan Toews
8th overall pick
2019 Conditional 2nd round pick (If Galchenyuk scores over 60 points, it's a 2nd. If not, it's two third rounders, one in 2019 and the other in 2020.

This helps montreal alot. They finally get a number one center for the first time since Saku Koivu, and have potential to get another (if they reach) in a player by the name of Joe Veleno.
Does this make sense/work?
Terrible for Montreal you do not give up a 3rd overall pick for a 55 point second line center.

Reactions: Neutrinos

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Even if they got Toews for free the Habs would still be bad. Giving up Galchenyuk and the 3rd overall... who's going to score goals if Pacioretty leaves? Gallagher ain't gonna score 50. Having $30m tied up in Price, Toews, and Weber guarantees a handicapped roster until they all retire. Even with those three players, who are all actually pretty good, that does not guarantee the playoffs or any success. The Kings have Kopitar, Doughty, and Quick and have managed to win one single playoff game in the last four years.

Just suck it up and rebuild. It's far and away the best choice for the franchise. That 3rd overall is a massive, massive plus that should not be traded away for a player in his 30's.

Oh, and Toews is not getting traded. He's earned the right to be a Blackhawk for life and they will very happily pay him millions over market value to mentor their youth.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
He's one of the reasons they became relevant again. His value to the franchise is huge. He might be overpaid by a couple million, but there is no way Chicago trades him. He's one of the few players in the league that will and should stay with the club for his career.

He's still a great player, he just hasn't had great wingers to play with to boost his numbers like he had in the past.
I disagree, NHL teams are in the business of winning. While Toews did help them win cups, Toews also benefited by being paid....Hawks would be stupid not to upgrade the team no matter who it is.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Unsure how it helps Mtl. They will get 50 pt production form their 3rd oa (think Hischier at exactly 52 pts like Toews) for 9 mil less. Lose Galchenyuk.
Puzzled OP is a Habs fan.

Yeah, Toews for Gally seems fair on its own and clears cap for the Hawks while allowing Montreal to go all in while Weber and Price are still good. The switch of picks doesn’t seem necessary.

Reactions: HomeAndHome

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I disagree, NHL teams are in the business of winning. While Toews did help them win cups, Toews also benefited by being paid....Hawks would be stupid not to upgrade the team no matter who it is.

The OP isn't an upgrade for them though. They are in an awkward spot with Toews where if they move him, it will be a downgrade. While there are very few untradeables, Toews is realistically untradeable. His high cap hit will make teams either want a discount or retention. He's still a really good player, so Chicago isn't going to want to give him at a discount where they wouldn't be a better team in the short-term or retain money on him. Moving Toews just doesn't make sense for Chicago or a potential acquiring team.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
The OP isn't an upgrade for them though. They are in an awkward spot with Toews where if they move him, it will be a downgrade. While there are very few untradeables, Toews is realistically untradeable. His high cap hit will make teams either want a discount or retention. He's still a really good player, so Chicago isn't going to want to give him at a discount where they wouldn't be a better team in the short-term or retain money on him. Moving Toews just doesn't make sense for Chicago or a potential acquiring team.
I guess it depends...if you think paying a 30 year old 10.5 million for the next 5 years while he has posted 3 seasons of 58,58 and 52 points is a good thing, well then ok i guess. But if you can trade him at full cap for a young player in Chucky AND move up 5 spots? I do that if i'm Chicago.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
I understand 1C has been a gaping hole for quite some time for Montreal but I can't for the life of me figure out this fascination with acquiring Jonathan Toews.

Those Weber and Price contracts aren't going to just go away...

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I guess it depends...if you think paying a 30 year old 10.5 million for the next 5 years while he has posted 3 seasons of 58,58 and 52 points is a good thing, well then ok i guess. But if you can trade him at full cap for a young player in Chucky AND move up 5 spots? I do that if i'm Chicago.
He's still one of the best defensive centers in the league and has had underwhelming linemates for the past few years. He didn't get worse. The end of that contract might get a little rough, but he plays a style that isn't too taxing, so he should be able to play pretty well into his 30's IMO.

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis
Yes lets add another overpaid declining player to the team so we can have almost 30mill locked up to 3 players :facepalm: Hellz no to Toews
You want a number 1 center or not. he signed for about 5-6 more years he will be 36 when done he gets 30 goals 30 assist playing the #1 c role your team doesnt have. You get a 8th over all pick back where a few good centers sit and you lose the chcuky problem. and get another 2nd next years draft.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad