Proposal: My Outlook of Potential Toews to Montreal Trade

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009
So you want Weber, Price, and Toews on the payroll and you want to give up the 3rd overall pick? I... um..... yeah don’t do that

Reactions: Benstheman

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
So you want Weber, Price, and Toews on the payroll and you want to give up the 3rd overall pick? I... um..... yeah don’t do that
Scary, but it does seem like a Bergevin kind of move....

The Habs need the 3OA pick badly...no way they should be trading that pick.

Nikohab

Nov 16, 2017
Forget used players and retool. The Habs need to clean house as their plan failed and the ship has already sunk. Trade price, Patch and Weber and get a ton of young prospects and good picks and build through the draft.

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
Would it change if Svechnikov is there at 3?

No, it really wouldn't.

Toews has meant too much for the franchise for them to trade him now. And he has some control in a potential trade with an NTC. So why would he leave Chicago?

The return doesn't matter. It's not happening.

pucksakes666

Mar 8, 2018
If you mean ''for this'' as that kind of deal, please tell wtf the value of the deal has to do with his will to waive his clause...
Ok maybe the value he don't care about , but at this point doubt he'll pack up and move to Montreal .

hockeyguy1967

Trans hockey fan! Go Leafs and Oilers!
Aug 24, 2017
This is what I think it could look like.
:hawks acquires
Alex Galchenyuk
3rd overall pick

:habs acquires
Johnathan Toews
8th overall pick
2019 Conditional 2nd round pick (If Galchenyuk scores over 60 points, it's a 2nd. If not, it's two third rounders, one in 2019 and the other in 2020.

This helps montreal alot. They finally get a number one center for the first time since Saku Koivu, and have potential to get another (if they reach) in a player by the name of Joe Veleno.
Does this make sense/work?
Toews has negative value. The Hawks would do that trade in a microsecond.
Points in the 50's the last three years and trending downward... One of the worst if not the worst contract in the NHL.

staalgood

Jan 13, 2014
Raleigh, NC
Toews has negative value. The Hawks would do that trade in a microsecond.
Points in the 50's the last three years and trending downward... One of the worst if not the worst contract in the NHL.
Come on now, don't sell Montreal short. They already have the worst contract in the league with Price's deal that kicks in next season. Over $52 million the next 4 years, i think McDavid is the only guy getting more money in that time period.

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
Forget used players and retool. The Habs need to clean house as their plan failed and the ship has already sunk. Trade price, Patch and Weber and get a ton of young prospects and good picks and build through the draft.

This.....

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
This is what I think it could look like.
:hawks acquires
Alex Galchenyuk
3rd overall pick

:habs acquires
Johnathan Toews
8th overall pick
2019 Conditional 2nd round pick (If Galchenyuk scores over 60 points, it's a 2nd. If not, it's two third rounders, one in 2019 and the other in 2020.

This helps montreal alot. They finally get a number one center for the first time since Saku Koivu, and have potential to get another (if they reach) in a player by the name of Joe Veleno.
Does this make sense/work?

LOL. Just what the Habs need, to go along with their 10.5 million dollar Price contract and their 8 million dollar Weber contract...........a 10.5 million dollar Toews contract.

Why only have two really high paid underachievers when you can have THREE?

Awesome idea. Just what they need.

:)

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Really? Because to me that is still 2 million overpaid.

Over the previous 3 seasons, his 82 game pace has been 61 points, and he's one of the best shutdown centers in the game. That's absolutely worth 8ish IMO. He's still a top tier center. His wingers have declined drastically in recent years.

I hate the guy, but you still have to look at him objectively and respect him for what he can do.

Last edited:

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
Over the previous 3 seasons, his 82 game pace has been 61 points, and he's one of the best shutdown centers in the game. That's absolutely worth 8ish IMO. He's still a top tier center. His wingers have declined drastically in recent years.

I hate the guy, but you still have to look at him objectively.

Yep.

I'm on the opposite side of the coin from you, in that I'm a Toews fan, and agree completely. And an objective look at him would put him in the range of 8 million. You could argue he is worth a bit less, but Evander Kane getting 7 million just now would make it almost impossible to say he's worth less than 7.

He was overhyped for a long time, sure. But the fact is, he is still a really good hockey player and Chicago won't be trading him any time soon.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad