Video My kid had his first hockey fight. Proud or Unnerved? (Video page 2)

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
I'd suspend his allowance for a period. 16 year olds should not be fighting whatsoever.
A guy takes liberties against your goalie and you do noting you ARE a crappy teammate. 16 or 46, makes no difference.

I don't about the specifics, but I'd want my son to be a good teammate FIRST. I knew lots of kids, younger than this, who squared up and went. 1000% better than seeking redress at the end of a stick or by number running.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
You and I agree 100%. I just like looking at the other point of view...I always learn about the other person and myself. My son in particular is a WHL prospect partially because of his vehement defense of his teammates. (Goalie or otherwise) I grew up in the 70s watching Philly, Boston, Montreal and later Quebec Nordiques and all out wars. I have evolved to where I have zero interest in goons, but if Morrissey crosschecked someone on my team like he did Staal, my son would have jumped him and pummeled him. That is what I believe in. Others believe that fining a millionaire $5000.00 is going to stop that from happening, or a 1 game rest. I don't agree.
I also grew up in a similar time and if your son has taken it upon himself to standup for teamates when needed, then I think you should take great pride in that. I sincerely hope he doesn't have to do it often, but. Knowing he answered the bell and Punched up, good for him.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Weird to be in defense of someone with the opposing view, but I get that some people would look at the link on the main board and click this thread. They don't approve of fighting, or mild pride in standing up for teammates etc. A lot of people don't like fighting in hockey.

That's what I did.

However, now that I'm here, as someone who's not a fan of fighting in hockey, good on him. I'm sure I'll be nervous as hell when I have kids and I see them go into harm's way, but that's part of growing up. I'd want my kids to stick up for their friends and team mates.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I pretty much never come into this section but I saw the topic on the side. He fought for the right reasons, you can take pride in that.

No one should look down on you as a parent either.

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
I understand that you understandably don't want your kid getting hurt or hurting another guy, but I'd be proud. Getting in a fight doesn't make you a goon. Any player who plays at a semi-high level (I never have) will have to stick up for teammates at some point. So I'd be proud. Your son seems to be a good teammate.

member 290103

It is pretty easy to watch NHL/Pro players get into a fight. You don't know anyone and if someone gets hurt, it isn't personal, it's just the game.

My kid got into his first real hockey fight. I am not sure whether to be proud or freaked out.

Can you post the video?

Reactions: robertmac43

Bring Bak Damphousse

Fire Bergevin...into the Sun
May 27, 2002
Canada
Weird to be in defense of someone with the opposing view, but I get that some people would look at the link on the main board and click this thread. They don't approve of fighting, or mild pride in standing up for teammates etc. A lot of people don't like fighting in hockey.

Theres no room in the game for staged fights, but there will always be a place for defending teammates imho.

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
6'4, my god that's a big boy at 16, how tall are you? I don't think he'll have much trouble fighting the other kids at that size. There's always worry of injury, but at the same time fighting it's part of the game. He's a big boy and boys fight :)

Reactions: KingTrouty

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I was going to post the vid, but honestly I am not sure I want him to be a pugilist. I respect the hell out of those guys, but it is different when it is your kid. :)

My advice would be to have him train for it but to not go looking for it. Kid has the heart of a fighter and a mean streak so I doubt that you can just tell him "no" and expect him never to get after it. The fact that he's a big guy means that he'll likely be called upon by others as well. That said if he were my son I would definitely tell him not to go looking for it so that all that he ends up doing is fighting goons. Probably be proud and scared all at once!

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
My advice would be to have him train for it but to not go looking for it. Kid has the heart of a fighter and a mean streak so I doubt that you can just tell him "no" and expect him never to get after it. The fact that he's a big guy means that he'll likely be called upon by others as well. That said if he were my son I would definitely tell him not to go looking for it so that all that he ends up doing is fighting goons. Probably be proud and scared all at once!
this describes me as well.

SCBlueLiner

Dec 27, 2013
Wow fighting an older guy in a camp at 16? It will impress the coaches that he is willing to do so and make him stand out for sure.

You bet that got the coach's attention. Big kid who is willing to drop the gloves against somebody older. Having size is one thing, backing it up is another.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Good on him. But crappy technique, too tall, too far up on his toes. Send him to a freestyle wrestling camp down in the States this summer. It'll help his hips and his play along the boards too.

Boxing probably wouldn't hurt either. He is willing, but if he is going to fight he needs to hone his skills in that area before facing an equally strong opponent with experience and technique. Love the willingness and mean streak but get him some reps in to improve if he plans on doing it again or is forced to do it again.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
6'4 216 at age 16? what the hell are you feeding him
Actually, that was only a mild issue. At the personal trainer at the start of last year, he went from 195 to 210 in the first three weeks of training. I was aghast. New trainer this year for speed and tone. Think he should be playing around 205. At Fort McMurray Oil Barons camp this past weekend Colton Parayko came out and watching him move at 6'6 and 230 was something to behold.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
Boxing probably wouldn't hurt either. He is willing, but if he is going to fight he needs to hone his skills in that area before facing an equally strong opponent with experience and technique. Love the willingness and mean streak but get him some reps in to improve if he plans on doing it again or is forced to do it again.
He is going to go on ice with a former professional this off-season and get on ice training in case he has to do it again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad