Proposal: My kick at the can for Hamilton (CGY-TOR offer)

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
I'd like to remind the Calgary fans that are demanded a deal around Nylander or Marner that you recently just traded a mid-round 1st, a mid-round 2nd and a late 2nd for him when he was an RFA.
Do you really think that he's increased in value that much?

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
It's not that far off for Hamilton. Leipsic, a second and a third would be close. The Leafs could throw in Michalek (To fill out the Flames' current roster) and the Flames could add an AHL player to balance the contracts going back and forth.

I would do that pretty quickly.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Dougie the SS that never was, no thank-you

I truly think that Hamilton is what he is, a smooth skating softie, with too many peaks and valley's

he is a 2nd pairing guy at best, sorry but none of the kids would be available for him

Toronto would be taking on a lot of salary, for what? a slight improvement on their back-end, whats that really worth! not much when you consider where Toronto is in relation to the rebuild, and besides there's some Dmen coming available in the summer that they could have at about the same money, and more in line with what Babcock wants

The Leafs can also wait on their youngsters in Marlieville where they've got a couple of big kids who may end up being be the equal of Hamilton offensively and as a bonus also play with an edge, an edge that Hamilton just doesn't use!

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Dougie the SS that never was, no thank-you

I truly think that Hamilton is what he is, a smooth skating softie, with too many peaks and valley's

he is a 2nd pairing guy at best, sorry but none of the kids would be available for him

Toronto would be taking on a lot of salary, for what? a slight improvement on their back-end, whats that really worth! not much when you consider where Toronto is in relation to the rebuild, and besides there's some Dmen coming available in the summer that they could have at about the same money, and more in line with what Babcock wants

The Leafs can also wait on their youngsters in Marlieville where they've got a couple of big kids who may end up being be the equal of Hamilton offensively and as a bonus also play with an edge, an edge that Hamilton just doesn't use!

1) You haven't watched him this year.
2) You haven't watched him this year.
3) About 20 Dmen in the entire NHL have scored more than Dougie in the past two years. Good luck with that.

I like how people just latch onto what's either said in this forum as fact. Outside of two games this season, Hamilton's been really, really good for the Flames. Last night he was paired with Giordano and they played tremendously well together.

I like the myth that he's still a big softie though. Just lets me know that people still aren't watching him but want to be the expert on Dougie :laugh:

If I was Calgary, I wouldn't trade him at all. He's going to be too good, in the near future to even consider it.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
:laugh: He had just turned 22 when they traded for him and he was a recent former top pick RHD with potential, literally the most valuable kind asset in the league.

If Larsson gets Hall, Hamilton gets more than JVR + whatever Toronto deems expendable (or "interesting" as their fans put it).

Larsson Hall trade doesn't set a price for all D . The Oilers overpaid because they needed to . GM's often over pay at trading deadlines but that does not set the price for the next season . Hamilton isn't that great defensively . He a stud offensively and the D side of the game can be taught so he has upside . That being said JVR doesn't have the value the Leafs thinks he does . There a reason Leafs fans want to move him . I would guess it is because he doesn't fit the age of the rebuild going forward . So why would he fit with Calgarys rebuild ? He is also in every other HF trade and on HF that lowers his value ..... in the real world not so much

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
I'd like to remind the Calgary fans that are demanded a deal around Nylander or Marner that you recently just traded a mid-round 1st, a mid-round 2nd and a late 2nd for him when he was an RFA.
Do you really think that he's increased in value that much?

I'd like to remind you that the deal was widely considered terrible value for the Bruins at the time of the trade, and that wouldn't have changed at this point.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
1) You haven't watched him this year.
2) You haven't watched him this year.

3) About 20 Dmen in the entire NHL have scored more than Dougie in the past two years. Good luck with that.

I like how people just latch onto what's either said in this forum as fact. Outside of two games this season, Hamilton's been really, really good for the Flames. Last night he was paired with Giordano and they played tremendously well together.

I like the myth that he's still a big softie though. Just lets me know that people still aren't watching him but want to be the expert on Dougie :laugh:

If I was Calgary, I wouldn't trade him at all. He's going to be too good, in the near future to even consider it.

well I actually don't watch hockey at all, in fact I haven't watched hockey in 55 years so maybe I was thinking about a guy named dougie who used to play in Hamilton

Serious question do you skate? do you play hockey? if so teach me:sarcasm:

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
2018/2019 1st + Leipsic?

I can't see why the Flames do this but if its a 2018 or 2019 I would do it. Even with Hamilton plugged in there we are bubble team at best this year which means another lottery pick plus a top four of:

Reilly Zaitsev
Gardiner Hamilton

That is a decent young talented top 4. Great thing is that we could still protect Reilly, Gardiner and Hamilton because Zaitsev is exempt from expansion draft.

slimbob8

Aug 11, 2016

Larsson Hall trade doesn't set a price for all D . The Oilers overpaid because they needed to . GM's often over pay at trading deadlines but that does not set the price for the next season . Hamilton isn't that great defensively . He a stud offensively and the D side of the game can be taught so he has upside . That being said JVR doesn't have the value the Leafs thinks he does . There a reason Leafs fans want to move him . I would guess it is because he doesn't fit the age of the rebuild going forward . So why would he fit with Calgarys rebuild ? He is also in every other HF trade and on HF that lowers his value ..... in the real world not so much

Tell me about it. I'm so sick of that being used as the new benchmark to why your d-man is worth so and so. The Hall deal is the exception, not he norm.

OCPenguin

Jan 22, 2013
To TOR: Hamilton

TO CGY (Choose one):

1) JVR + AHL Dman. We have some promising kids who project to be top4 in Dermott and total unknowns in Neilson and Loov.

2) JVR + (Carrick, Polak, Corrado, Hunwick, Marincin) + 2nd. I feel Hunwick is the best defensive Dman we have in the group but also the oldest. Can look at Carrick, only has 2pts so far but is only 4 less points than Hamilton and is also a year younger

Obviously Toronto has nothing to offer you on the back end but JVR has this season and next season on his contract. Big power forward that just doesn't fit in the Leafs long term plans.

So, every Toronto trade idea starts with the fanbase's whipping boy in JVR.

Second, that second option is garbage. Polak is terrible; Hunwick is bad and so is Marincin. Once again, there is a common theme with Toronto fan base ideas as far as trades.

pierre gagnon*

Mar 15, 2013
St. Catharines
The only reason Boston didn't get more is because Hamilton needed a new contract and they had no cap to sign him. I don't see any trade happening here because Toronto will not give up any of the guys you listed, and there is nothing else to interest Calgary enough.

Hamilton turned down 3 similar offers from the Bruins and gave them very little time to complete a deal with no 2 way conversations from the Hamilton camp (parents were involved). They wanted his brother signed by Boston or to go back to Canada. They pretty much forced their way out at draft day. Other GMs did not follow up on the non talks that went on all summer. Which boggles my mind as to why they were not pro active and made an offer. Hamilton is at the same level he was before so the return has to be similar. Picks or one for one deal of likewise talent/salary or they are keeping him. He will not get a Taylor Hall talent unless the Flames add.

So Bruins got Zach Senyshyn (6'3" fast, scoring winger)
Jakob Forsbacka-Karlsson (9pts in 9 games with BU as a Bergeron type player)
Jeremy Lauzon (6 pts in 7 games plus 10, captain of the Rouyn Nouranda Huskies).

BWDude

Nov 13, 2015
So, every Toronto trade idea starts with the fanbase's whipping boy in JVR.

Second, that second option is garbage. Polak is terrible; Hunwick is bad and so is Marincin. Once again, there is a common theme with Toronto fan base ideas as far as trades.

Actually can we dispel this notion that JVR is not good because he's in a lot of Leafs proposals.

The reason why we even have him in proposals in the first place is that we think he does have the value that other teams might want. This fact leads other teams to believe JVR to not be valuable or our "whipping boy" so to speak and thus leads them to asking for our untouchables that are worth just as much as theirs or our "other top players."

Problem is: "our other top players" that we can trade are like the Komorovs and Kadris which other teams dislike so we offer them JVR again and the whole cycle restarts again. :rant: :laugh: :cry:

Agree with the fact that those three d-men are absolute garbage tho :laugh:

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
What's with the Hamilton trade offers?

Who in Calgary actually wants to trade him? He was a beast tonight.

Flamesfan62

Oct 21, 2016
Prince Edward Island
Hamilton turned down 3 similar offers from the Bruins and gave them very little time to complete a deal with no 2 way conversations from the Hamilton camp (parents were involved). They wanted his brother signed by Boston or to go back to Canada. They pretty much forced their way out at draft day. Other GMs did not follow up on the non talks that went on all summer. Which boggles my mind as to why they were not pro active and made an offer. Hamilton is at the same level he was before so the return has to be similar. Picks or one for one deal of likewise talent/salary or they are keeping him. He will not get a Taylor Hall talent unless the Flames add.

So Bruins got Zach Senyshyn (6'3" fast, scoring winger)
Jakob Forsbacka-Karlsson (9pts in 9 games with BU as a Bergeron type player)
Jeremy Lauzon (6 pts in 7 games plus 10, captain of the Rouyn Nouranda Huskies).
Senyshyn is a future bottom 6 guy at best, Lauzon is a great prospect with good numbers on the best team in the Q, which would probably help a bit, let me know when he puts up consecutive 40 point seasons in the NHL. To say Karlsson is a Bergeron type player is a bit much, wait a few years and maybe you can say that. Maybe if they picked guys like Barzal, Chabot, Connor, Konecny, or Sprong then Boston would have got the better deal, but I would say Calgary won this... It's not even that close.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Montreal doesn't even need another RHD but if its that cheap we'll give you Hudon + 2 2nds + Desharnais for Hamilton + AHL contract.

Hudon is better than Leipsic
2 2nds are better than 2+3
Desharnias at least looks like he can play in the NHL if you squint your eyes hard enough

How is Hudon better than the current AHL leading scorer?

Leipsic 127pts in 153 games, 3pts in 6 NHL games, 3rd rd 2012
Hudon 124 pts in 157 games, 3pts in 5 NHL games, 5th rd 2012.

Also two montreal 2nds arent guaranteed to be better than a leafs 2nd and 3rd. two 50-55's arent as valuable as a 31-35 and 61-65.

desharnais is complete junk and not even worth talking about

gamer1035

Feb 14, 2012
Would the Flames trade Bennett for Hamilton if they didn't have Hamilton?

Obviously not, and Nylander and Marner are both better than Bennett. jvr is the best they are gonna get.

Flamesjustwin

Oct 8, 2010
London ON
Would the Flames trade Bennett for Hamilton if they didn't have Hamilton?

Obviously not, and Nylander and Marner are both better than Bennett. jvr is the best they are gonna get.

I love how two unproven rookies are better than Bennett. The Flames are not trading Hamilton, he is a big heavy offensive RHD. If they did it would cost Marner, Flames would have no interest in Nylander, they have better overall game players down the middle in Bennett and Monahan going forward.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
It really sucks that Calgary got Hamilton. He is basically exactly what Edmonton needs, but we don't have what Calgary would want available for trade, and even if we did I don't expect these two teams to trade key pieces at any point.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I love how two unproven rookies are better than Bennett. The Flames are not trading Hamilton, he is a big heavy offensive RHD. If they did it would cost Marner, Flames would have no interest in Nylander, they have better overall game players down the middle in Bennett and Monahan going forward.

As a neutral fan, I'd suggest that Marner and Nylander have proven just as much this year as Bennett has so far. I like Bennett's game, but he is mostly untapped potential at this point.

pierre gagnon*

Mar 15, 2013
St. Catharines
Senyshyn is a future bottom 6 guy at best, Lauzon is a great prospect with good numbers on the best team in the Q, which would probably help a bit, let me know when he puts up consecutive 40 point seasons in the NHL. To say Karlsson is a Bergeron type player is a bit much, wait a few years and maybe you can say that. Maybe if they picked guys like Barzal, Chabot, Connor, Konecny, or Sprong then Boston would have got the better deal, but I would say Calgary won this... It's not even that close.

Where did I declare a winner in my post, because I did not. Karlsson is a Bergy lite comparision, just for style of play reference . Yeah the bolded really set the league on fire like we were all told in summer. So Senyshyn is a bottom 6 guy at best, lottery numbers please when you have a moment. He is not the kind of player who you pick to be a checker. Right now he is one of the top RW prospects in the system to be a scorer and a few years away. Seems you are cherry picking your players after the fact, how convenient and all your guys are studs and their future is perfect, just tap it in, tap it in, tappy tap tap. Should we do the samething for Pastrnak and Carlo and who passed on them and the guys they picked. Lets deal with who they got and wait till the are all playing. Your guy is 23, be happy with what you got I liked him as a player but I am also happy with what the Bruins got.

Last edited:

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
As a neutral fan, I'd suggest that Marner and Nylander have proven just as much this year as Bennett has so far. I like Bennett's game, but he is mostly untapped potential at this point.

He's making Monahan look like a chump. Bit inconsistent still but no worries. Some people need a few years to pull it all together. Especially someone who plays like him that lost a year to injuries and still needs to put on muscle.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad