Proposal: My kick at the can for Hamilton (CGY-TOR offer)

Orfieus

Nov 2, 2012
Atlantic Canada
To TOR: Hamilton

TO CGY (Choose one):

1) JVR + AHL Dman. We have some promising kids who project to be top4 in Dermott and total unknowns in Neilson and Loov.

2) JVR + (Carrick, Polak, Corrado, Hunwick, Marincin) + 2nd. I feel Hunwick is the best defensive Dman we have in the group but also the oldest. Can look at Carrick, only has 2pts so far but is only 4 less points than Hamilton and is also a year younger

Obviously Toronto has nothing to offer you on the back end but JVR has this season and next season on his contract. Big power forward that just doesn't fit in the Leafs long term plans.

hockeyheadlines

Oct 9, 2016
Canada
To TOR: Hamilton

TO CGY (Choose one):

1) JVR + AHL Dman. We have some promising kids who project to be top4 in Dermott and total unknowns in Neilson and Loov.

2) JVR + (Carrick, Polak, Corrado, Hunwick, Marincin) + 2nd. I feel Hunwick is the best defensive Dman we have in the group but also the oldest. Can look at Carrick, only has 2pts so far but is only 4 less points than Hamilton and is also a year younger

Obviously Toronto has nothing to offer you on the back end but JVR has this season and next season on his contract. Big power forward that just doesn't fit in the Leafs long term plans.

Remove JVR and add one of Nylander or Marner, then discuss.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
The Flames are obviously still in rebuild mode so they should probably be pursuing a deal involving picks and prospects. Do the Leafs have a couple of prospect types and extra picks they could send Calgary's way?

LeafsNation149

Feb 4, 2013
The Flames are obviously still in rebuild mode so they should probably be pursuing a deal involving picks and prospects. Do the Leafs have a couple of prospect types and extra picks they could send Calgary's way?

2018/2019 1st + Leipsic?

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
2018/2019 1st + Leipsic?

Interesting - I was thinking of Leipsic as I was typing my post. The Flames really seem to be missing a smallish fire p**sing centre (Since Byron left anyway) and he could be a possible candidate for that role.

Re: First - the Leafs are still in rebuilding mode themselves so a first may be a little high right now. The Flames could use an extra second and third however. That would help recover assets from previous deals.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
2018/2019 1st + Leipsic?

A real offer please, not a combination of assets which you can give up. You know, Hamilton isn't one either, so that won't do it.

There's just not a good trade involving Hamilton. He's young, in my eyes a 3D who was acquired quite recently, produces well and can eat minutes. Those are not cheap, no matter how you spin it.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
A guy who has two years left before UFA does almost nothing for the Flames, who are just attempting to exit their rebuild.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
A guy who has two years left before UFA does almost nothing for the Flames, who are just attempting to exit their rebuild.

They may be trying to exit their rebuild but they still have a lot of word to do and trading Hamilton for assets is a good way of continuing the evolution. They should never have traded for him that early in their rebuild anyway.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
A real offer please, not a combination of assets which you can give up. You know, Hamilton isn't one either, so that won't do it.

There's just not a good trade involving Hamilton. He's young, in my eyes a 3D who was acquired quite recently, produces well and can eat minutes. Those are not cheap, no matter how you spin it.

It's not that far off for Hamilton. Leipsic, a second and a third would be close. The Leafs could throw in Michalek (To fill out the Flames' current roster) and the Flames could add an AHL player to balance the contracts going back and forth.

LeafsNation149

Feb 4, 2013

I didn't know that a first a couple of years from now from a rebuilding team + a top 5 prospect is cheap.

I get that Hamilton is hard to trade though but that's not just spare parts.

If your expecting Nylander from a trade then yea, there is no deal to be made.

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
JVR+Gardiner for Hamilton+Stajan or Nylander+2nd for both Hamilton's

The Flames have a ton of quality defensive prospects so the last thing they need is another one.

LeafsNation149

Feb 4, 2013
Interesting - I was thinking of Leipsic as I was typing my post. The Flames really seem to be missing a smallish fire p**sing centre (Since Byron left anyway) and he could be a possible candidate for that role.

Re: First - the Leafs are still in rebuilding mode themselves so a first may be a little high right now. The Flames could use an extra second and third however. That would help recover assets from previous deals.

Yea I doubt the leafs management would trade a 1st round pick, too risky imo. I'm just trying to check out what would be good value

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
They may be trying to exit their rebuild but they still have a lot of word to do and trading Hamilton for assets is a good way of continuing the evolution. They should never have traded for him that early in their rebuild anyway.

:laugh: He had just turned 22 when they traded for him and he was a recent former top pick RHD with potential, literally the most valuable kind asset in the league.

If Larsson gets Hall, Hamilton gets more than JVR + whatever Toronto deems expendable (or "interesting" as their fans put it).

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
:laugh: He had just turned 22 when they traded for him and he was a recent former top pick RHD with potential, literally the most valuable kind asset in the league.

If Larsson gets Hall, Hamilton gets more than JVR + whatever Toronto deems expendable (or "interesting" as their fans put it).

At that early stage of the Flames' rebuild picks were more important than players. It's the same principal as the Kessel trade - those Leaf picks that went to Boston were far more important than a young forward going the other way.

The Flames should never have traded that first and two second round picks at the front end of a rebuild - regardless of who was coming the other way. Burke was burned bad the first time he did this and should have learned his lesson well.

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
It's not that far off for Hamilton. Leipsic, a second and a third would be close. The Leafs could throw in Michalek (To fill out the Flames' current roster) and the Flames could add an AHL player to balance the contracts going back and forth.

Montreal doesn't even need another RHD but if its that cheap we'll give you Hudon + 2 2nds + Desharnais for Hamilton + AHL contract.

Hudon is better than Leipsic
2 2nds are better than 2+3
Desharnias at least looks like he can play in the NHL if you squint your eyes hard enough

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
Montreal doesn't even need another RHD but if its that cheap we'll give you Hudon + 2 2nds + Desharnais for Hamilton + AHL contract.

Hudon is better than Leipsic
2 2nds are better than 2+3
Desharnias at least looks like he can play in the NHL if you squint your eyes hard enough

That would be a good package for the Flames - as long as the picks are in the 2017 and 2018 range.

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
At that early stage of the Flames' rebuild picks were more important than players. It's the same principal as the Kessel trade - those Leaf picks that went to Boston were far more important than a young forward going the other way.

The Flames should never have traded first and second round picks at the front end of a rebuild - regardless of who was coming the other way.

No, because none of those picks would have enabled you to take a player as good as Hamilton. If you are that worried about filling out your pool with lesser prospects then trade your vets at the deadline for the picks. Don't pass up on a great trade because you're scared that a 22 year old is too old and doesn't posses the value of a mid first and a couple seconds. :shakehead

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
That would be a good package for the Flames - as long as the picks are in the 2017 and 2018 range.

We have 5 2nds in the next two years and I would be shocked if MB DIDN'T trade at least one of our upcoming 1sts in the next two years while Price and Patch are still on cheap deals.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
If Calgary is in rebuild mode and wants young talent, I would think the best we could do is Kapanen, one of Dermott or Nielsen, and the highest of our 2nds this year (we possess Ottawa's, our own and San Jose, with the middle one going to Anaheim).

I can't see Calgary having a long term interest in JVR considering they already have their top 2 LWers of the future in the line-up.

As for trading picks by Calgary for Hamilton, I don't think it was a mistake. They traded picks that were locked in for a young established talent. The real risk is when you trade future picks where if you aren't clearly a playoff team they can really burn you by becoming high lottery picks (see the Kessel trade).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad