Proposal: My kick at the can for Hamilton (CGY-TOR offer)

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Hey, I completely agree.

I've just seen people mention Nylander, and that's obviously a non-starter.

I understand why you guys would ask for it, but that's just not gonna happen.
I agree completely. If JVR was a couple years younger and signed for longer, then we have a good starting place IMO, but that's not the case. I don't think Gardiner helps the Flames with their defensive problems at all, so that's not really something that we would/should be looking at.

TBH the only deal I could see between the Flames and Leafs would be something small around Polak (Polak+ for Jokipakka?) as we could use a LD that can effectively use his body to play alongside Hamilton.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
I agree completely. If JVR was a couple years younger and signed for longer, then we have a good starting place IMO, but that's not the case. I don't think Gardiner helps the Flames with their defensive problems at all, so that's not really something that we would/should be looking at.

TBH the only deal I could see between the Flames and Leafs would be something small around Polak (Polak+ for Jokipakka?) as we could use a LD that can effectively use his body to play alongside Hamilton.

Polak is a RD.

And trust me, you don't want him.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Polak is a RD.

And trust me, you don't want him.

I thought he was left, lol. But nevermind then, lol. The Flames best bet is throw a large contract offer at Alzner if he becomes a UFA, he is the kind of player we need.

leaflover

Stanley Cup 2022
Mar 3, 2002
beautiful B.C
Visit site
Right now, with the overall weak team defense it's probably best for Toronto to just give the kids a chance to learn how to play NHL hockey before making big changes. Once everyone has bought into the system and has been provided sufficient opportunity to adjust their game accordingly then they can be accurately assessed and changes can be made.
Far too much guess work at this point.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
To TOR: Hamilton

TO CGY (Choose one):

1) JVR + AHL Dman. We have some promising kids who project to be top4 in Dermott and total unknowns in Neilson and Loov.

2) JVR + (Carrick, Polak, Corrado, Hunwick, Marincin) + 2nd. I feel Hunwick is the best defensive Dman we have in the group but also the oldest. Can look at Carrick, only has 2pts so far but is only 4 less points than Hamilton and is also a year younger

Obviously Toronto has nothing to offer you on the back end but JVR has this season and next season on his contract. Big power forward that just doesn't fit in the Leafs long term plans.

honestly if i was calgary id probably be willing to take the toronto first and a couple seconds... let toronto throw a cap dump into the deal.

if i was toronto id be leary attatching my rocket to hamilton. i think hamilton will remind toronto fans of jvr or kessel... lots of talent but inconsistent results and the appearence of a lack of effort at times.

talent isnt everything... hamilton has the talent to be the second coming of larry robinson... but he is never going to play hard enough to reach that potential

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
You dont get a potential superstar (top line) at worst. For Hamilton, either.

Inregards to counter offer

when kids are dealt they never bring back a return that makes you happy.

i watched boston trade tyler seguin and phil kessel in recent years... columbus just dealt ryan johanson. washington recently dealt filip forsberg.

my advice is dont trade your kid forwards but if you do... be prepared to be sadden by the return

Halla

Jan 28, 2016

i watched boston trade tyler seguin and phil kessel in recent years... columbus just dealt ryan johanson. washington recently dealt filip forsberg.

my advice is dont trade your kid forwards but if you do... be prepared to be sadden by the return

johanson brought back seth jones....

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
honestly if i was calgary id probably be willing to take the toronto first and a couple seconds... let toronto throw a cap dump into the deal.

if i was toronto id be leary attatching my rocket to hamilton. i think hamilton will remind toronto fans of jvr or kessel... lots of talent but inconsistent results and the appearence of a lack of effort at times.

talent isnt everything... hamilton has the talent to be the second coming of larry robinson... but he is never going to play hard enough to reach that potential

why would the leafs do that? the pick could be top 5. that would make the 2nd 31-35 and then we give another 2nd?

calgary got him for picks 15,45,52. a top 5 pick alone is worth more than that lot

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Hamilton is not worth a Bluechip guy like Nylander/Marner . There isn't a team in this league who'll give up a prospect of that level for Hamilton.

I'd definitely put he Leafs 2017 1st on the table in a de though

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
johanson brought back seth jones....

which sort of shows that a kid is worth another kid right? the original point was that a potential top line player cant be had for an established dman... but here we see a forward that is a top line player only brought back a potential top dman

sort of makes my point doesn't it?

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
why would the leafs do that? the pick could be top 5. that would make the 2nd 31-35 and then we give another 2nd?

calgary got him for picks 15,45,52. a top 5 pick alone is worth more than that lot

that's why I said if I was Toronto I wouldn't do it... however the op was a Toronto fan... that indicates that the Toronto fan wanted Hamilton. I proposed a trade that might get Hamilton to Toronto... I didn't endorse it though

if I was Toronto I would bother trading for Hamilton... but offering jvr for him is sort of insulting to Calgary fans. it will take more than that

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
Both guys have eclipsed 40 points twice. One is a 22 year old D. One is a 27 year old winger... :laugh:

You omit that Jvr has hit 40 , 32 in 48 and an injury that seen him out half the season while he was pacing better then 50 which would be the norm while he has been in a leaf uniform. Flames can keep Hamilton he's poor to average in his own zone. If the leafs need to trade for a high end d man Chris Tanev is the target not dougie Hamilton lol.

robbie111

Nov 10, 2013
I'll take my stab at this trade.

Toronto-Dougie Hamilton, Glen Gulutzan and Dave Cameron

Calgary-Mitch Marner. Mike Babcock and an assistant coach to be named later.

Enjoy that Leafs fans.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
which sort of shows that a kid is worth another kid right? the original point was that a potential top line player cant be had for an established dman... but here we see a forward that is a top line player only brought back a potential top dman

sort of makes my point doesn't it?

Jones had more value than Hamilton does at present.

Remember2004

Oct 20, 2010
I'll take my stab at this trade.

Toronto-Dougie Hamilton, Glen Gulutzan and Dave Cameron

Calgary-Mitch Marner. Mike Babcock and an assistant coach to be named later.

Enjoy that Leafs fans.

I wouldn't even wish that on our biggest rival the Oilers...

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton

You would have to think that Boston was ecstatic with the return for Kessel...maybe soured a bit by how they squandered that return but in isolation that trade is very lopsided in their favour

Flamesfan62

Oct 21, 2016
Prince Edward Island
Marner or Nylander for Hamilton? That's rich. :biglaugh:

If Flames fans are expecting that kind of return for Hamilton they're going to be disappointed, just like Bruins fans were.
The only reason Boston didn't get more is because Hamilton needed a new contract and they had no cap to sign him. I don't see any trade happening here because Toronto will not give up any of the guys you listed, and there is nothing else to interest Calgary enough.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad