My HoH Top 50 Players Of All Time!

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Lindsay was top 5 in PIMs ten times. Seven times top 3. I got the impression he was very dirty. And , yes, he deserves credit for his work on the union. But that has nothing to do with his ranking as a player in this project.

Can't see how anyone would love Chelios. Respect him, perhaps. But he did some truly despicable things on the ice (and off).

Mr. Bonvie.... rather interesting comment to those of us who have studied Jungian & Freudian precepts, psychology. Yes indeedy. You once again provide a vertitable banquet of tasty treats. Chelios & Lindsay.

.... where to begin?... :xtree: :xcheers: ..... HEW-MAN or.... A.N.I.M.A.L.?.... Uh?

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
No Paul Coffey? 1531 points in 1409 games (6th all-time in assists)

No Marcel Dionne? 731 goals/1771 points in 1348 games (5th all-time in goals, 6th all-time in points)

No Brett Hull? 741 goals/1391 points in 1269 games (4th all-time in goals)

Johnny Engine

Jul 29, 2009
So only 2 of the top 50 players in NHL history were born within the last 46 years?
You’re really talking about a 20 year period, not 46. Nobody currently in their early to mid twenties has established much of their legacy yet, and nobody born in the last 18 years has done anything at all.

Reactions: Hockey Outsider

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
You’re really talking about a 20 year period, not 46. Nobody currently in their early to mid twenties has established much of their legacy yet, and nobody born in the last 18 years has done anything at all.

.... not following Johnny..... Coffeys now 57 years of age. What are you talking about?.... I totally understand, empathize with, share the so called "younger generations frustration".... and I'm OLDER than Paul Malton Boy Coffey.... Young Punk... Wrong side of the trax..... Mississauga.... Ewwwwww..... kiddin me?.. Trailer Park.... Now owns/runs a KIA Dealership... Pretend Cars..... WTF? Uh?

Johnny Engine

Jul 29, 2009
.... not following Johnny..... Coffeys now 57 years of age. What are you talking about?.... I totally understand, empathize with, share the so called "younger generations frustration".... and I'm OLDER than Paul Malton Boy Coffey.... Young Punk... Wrong side of the trax..... Mississauga.... Ewwwwww..... kiddin me?.. Trailer Park.... Now owns/runs a KIA Dealership... Pretend Cars..... WTF? Uh?
The post I responded to didn’t have anything to do with Coffey

Reactions: Killion

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
The post I responded to didn’t have anything to do with Coffey

I see... dementia, lack of comprehension. "Killions got issues".... in addition to being "erratic, unbalanced"... Would you like me to respond to those specious, insulting & slanderous accusations Maritimer? I'll even go deep, Lunenburg County, have the Ghost of my Great Grandfather, INVENTOR of hockey, none other than James Creighton rip you a new one.... That fails?... my Aunt, Helen Creighton, from beyond the grave... think youd enjoy that Johnny? Some Bluenose Ghosts paying you a visit? Uh? And I'm insane, right? You dont think I make such happen? Crazy guy, right?

Reactions: MXD

ChiTownPhilly

Not Too Soft
Feb 23, 2010
AnyWorld/I'mWelcomeTo
No Paul Coffey?...No Marcel Dionne?...No Brett Hull?...
Who do they replace?
Clancy, Nighbor, Mahovolich
Interesting material there. Coffey leaks into my top-50... but NOT at the expense of King Clancy. Dionne? That's sort of a non-consensus opinion. It's defensible, I suppose, if you hold him completely and utterly blameless for the Playoff disappointments. I think he takes too much blame for this-- but I don't think he's utterly free from blame, either- so I have him in the low-60s. I suspect that's higher than most of my colleagues would place him.

I have 1-2-3-4-5-6 Wingers omitted from the Original Post whom I would place higher than Mahovlich. Then again, I have 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9 more Wingers between Mahovlich and Brett Hull. Selänne is the most prominent NHL name in the former group. The latter group has players from five different countries among their number. {Multiple reps from Canada and Russia, natch.}

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
No Paul Coffey? 1531 points in 1409 games (6th all-time in assists)

No Marcel Dionne? 731 goals/1771 points in 1348 games (5th all-time in goals, 6th all-time in points)

No Brett Hull? 741 goals/1391 points in 1269 games (4th all-time in goals)

I have Hull in my top 50 so i agree. Looking forward to him popping up in the top 100 to argue his case. I know most arent as high on him though.

Coffey of course for me too but i care less about Dionne

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Maybe. Heck no. Heck no.

... I'd actually switch "Maybe" with the second "Heck No", but the effect is the same.
I mean... Paul Coffey might be a Top-50 player of all-time, but Coffey being a D-Men doesn't mean he has to replace a D-Men (and, frankly, he if has to replace a D-Men, which he really doesn't have to, King Clancy probably wouldn't be the right one to make the switch).

I'm actually quite certain Frank Mahovlich isn't a Top-50 player of all-time though, hence the switch. Truth to be told, in my Top-120, I've put 7 goalies between the last of the Top-7 (Gardiner, Vezina, Benedict, Brimsek, Durnan, Broda and Belfour, and I'm pretty sure they're in that exact order) and Frank Mahovlich.

EDIT : I thought I was replying to ImporterExporter : the last paragraph was just a way to suggest that there might be goalies who could make it in the bottom third of this top-50. I mean, if Ken Dryden (7 full seasons + 1 playoffs; hero of '71, otherwise playing behind the best team in the league for his cup seasons) and Terry Sawchuk (Really only 4 great seasons along with a bunch of average ones with low GP's; crazy run in '52 that might not even have been THAT amazing considering the team, and DID sink his team with bad goaltending) make it in the Top-30, why is Charlie Gardiner (7 full seasons and 5 elite seasons, hero of '34 and seemingly the only reason his team made the playoffs in the first place, something no one would ever suggest out of Dryden and Sawchuk, let alone sometimes winning in said playoffs) getting unranked, exactly?

Last edited:
Reactions: Nick Hansen

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
... I'd actually switch "Maybe" with the second "Heck No", but the effect is the same.
I mean... Paul Coffey might be a Top-50 player of all-time, but Coffey being a D-Men doesn't mean he has to replace a D-Men (and, frankly, he if has to replace a D-Men, which he really doesn't have to, King Clancy probably wouldn't be the right one to make the switch).

I'm actually quite certain Frank Mahovlich isn't a Top-50 player of all-time though, hence the switch. Truth to be told, in my Top-120, I've put 7 goalies between the last of the Top-7 (Gardiner, Vezina, Benedict, Brimsek, Durnan, Broda and Belfour, and I'm pretty sure they're in that exact order) and Frank Mahovlich.

EDIT : I thought I was replying to ImporterExporter : the last paragraph was just a way to suggest that there might be goalies who could make it in the bottom third of this top-50. I mean, if Ken Dryden (7 full seasons + 1 playoffs; hero of '71, otherwise playing behind the best team in the league for his cup seasons) and Terry Sawchuk (Really only 4 great seasons along with a bunch of average ones with low GP's; crazy run in '52 that might not even have been THAT amazing considering the team, and DID sink his team with bad goaltending) make it in the Top-30, why is Charlie Gardiner (7 full seasons and 5 elite seasons, hero of '34 and seemingly the only reason his team made the playoffs in the first place, something no one would ever suggest out of Dryden and Sawchuk, let alone sometimes winning in said playoffs) getting unranked, exactly?

Oh, I’m not sure I would have Mahovlich in the top 50 either. I am sure, however, that he is better than Brett Hull.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
I get this list is 1.5 years old, but even then I didn't see there debate between 87 & GR8 as being over. After this years events, it aint even close to over.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
How do you like players like Hull and Coffey and not Dionne?

Im familiar with Coffey because we've been discussing him for 2 weeks.

I know i have Hull ranked higher than most and expect it to be a big point of discussion when he comes up.

I wouldnt say i dont like Dionne i just don't remember off hand where i have him compared to Hull. I know his playoffs are quite weak for one too.

Nick Hansen

Sep 28, 2017
What is it that makes Dionne so disliked/underappreciated by most people?

Let's look at the numbers, straight up.

GP

G

A

PTS

On paper, that looks awesome.

4x All star. 2x Pearson. 1x Art Ross. Hart-8, Hart-5, Hart-3 (behind Trottier and Lafleur), Hart-2 (behind Gretzky), Hart-3 (behind Gretzky and Liut), Hart-9.

8 seasons in top 10 pts (five of those outside the Art Ross winning seasons being top 5 in the league), 9 seasons in top 10 goals and 9 seasons in top 10 assists.

I mean this guy was elite. People point to his playoffs, and yes, it is underwhelming, mainly in quantity. 49 PO games over a career spanning +1700 games. WTF? But he does look pretty good when the runs aren't just consisting of 2-4 games.

75/76 - 9 gms, 6 goals for 7 pts.
76/77 - 9 gms, 5 goals for 14 pts.
81/82 - 10 gms, 7 goals for 11 pts.

Detractions: weak defensively, not physical, prime in a questionable era in some ways, played on shitty teams for his entire career.

Last edited:

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
The problem with Dionne goes beyond the postseason.

He played in a very weak division (other than Montreal) and in the same Conference as the Seals/Barons. Played in a very high scoring era as well. I think his offensive totals are a bit inflated.

I give him somewhat of a pass regarding the postseason because he did generally play on some rather blah/crappy teams.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
The problem with Dionne goes beyond the postseason.

He played in a very weak division (other than Montreal) and in the same Conference as the Seals/Barons. Played in a very high scoring era as well. I think his offensive totals are a bit inflated.

I give him somewhat of a pass regarding the postseason because he did generally play on some rather blah/crappy teams.

Dionne was a tremendous player. When combined with Simmer & Taylor (not exactly all-time greats) they were one of the best lines I've ever seen. Dionne's numbers (goals, assists, points, plus/minus) were huge with that line despite having almost nothing else on those terrible Kings teams.

Like most young offensive stars on bad teams, his defense was shotty. But he improved with experience.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad