Confirmed with Link: Muzzin to Toronto for 2019 1st, Grundstrom, and rights to Durzi

TruKingFan

Two-Time Cup Winner
Aug 16, 2004
Beachfront
Now...if you want to get in to a Clague v. Durzi debate and throw out the theory that Blake's ego just cost the Kings Clague because he wasn't a Blake pick and Blake is going to force this Durzi thing to make this trade look better, I'm all ears.

I think Durzi will end up better than Clague. He has a more well-rounded game that the NHL requires in todays game and for Blake, it was clear they couldn’t keep them both.

Jason Squirties

Apr 15, 2014
I posted this 1 1/2 years ago. I like seeing guys do well that love being here.

This makes me happy, thank you for sharing.

Against most brain trusts he's doing what many thought he couldn't or wouldn't be able to do, which is to make that step but it looks like everyone's been doubting him along the way to this point. Hopefully he can keep it up, he definitely seems to have a good head on him.

Sparky206

Nov 13, 2019
wow, watching that again this kid just figures it out. Speaks wonders about how he struggled with being a minus last year but figured it out and now it playing well in the NHL

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Peter James Bond III

CHROMIAK COMETH
Jul 8, 2020
And now this. December 18, 2021 :

- Defenseman Sean Durzi logged 22:10 in time on ice tonight to lead all skaters on both teams.

1 month ago, I would be: cool, good for him. Who were the Reign playing?
But it’s the Kings vs Carolina and he had more minutes than Doughty (figured he would be back, but not out again) Kopitar or Aho…etc.

Crazy. Keep it up.

Reactions: kinghock

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014
There is a real lesson here for all of us on player development that we will mostly ignore. I think if we are honest most of us had given up on Durzi, myself included and he’s making us look like fools. Not because of our assessment of his play but the conclusions we drew from it.

What I like is his decision making, not that it’s brilliant but that it’s decisive. It therefore makes him easy to play with, he plays with intent and isn’t afraid of mistakes. As such he’s looked great offensively and suddenly gives us an unexpected bit of something at the back. He’s basically everything we wanted Clague to be and a bit more. Both have their deficiencies but Durzi properly backs himself and I think that’s essentially the difference. I think Clague can be a serviceable #6 guy but Durzi took his spot on the Kings and I’m ok with that.

It also makes the trade look great for us and in fairness I think it was a win-win for both teams. Toronto have gotten what they will have wanted out of Muzz, their issues since the deal have been elsewhere.

Björnfot looks like he will develop into at least a good #3, Grunström has elevated his game and Durzi has suddenly become an NHL player. Happy with that.

apocalypse

Dean Lombardi's Yes Man
Mar 20, 2017
Los Angeles
And now this. December 18, 2021 :

- Defenseman Sean Durzi logged 22:10 in time on ice tonight to lead all skaters on both teams.

1 month ago, I would be: cool, good for him. Who were the Reign playing?
But it’s the Kings vs Carolina and he had more minutes than Doughty (figured he would be back, but not out again) Kopitar or Aho…etc.

Crazy. Keep it up.
Durzi's a beast. He's making Blake look good with that trade. I wasn't big on Muzzin at all during his time here and I'm glad we got something good for him.

There is a real lesson here for all of us on player development that we will mostly ignore. I think if we are honest most of us had given up on Durzi, myself included and he’s making us look like fools. Not because of our assessment of his play but the conclusions we drew from it.

What I like is his decision making, not that it’s brilliant but that it’s decisive. It therefore makes him easy to play with, he plays with intent and isn’t afraid of mistakes. As such he’s looked great offensively and suddenly gives us an unexpected bit of something at the back. He’s basically everything we wanted Clague to be and a bit more. Both have their deficiencies but Durzi properly backs himself and I think that’s essentially the difference. I think Clague can be a serviceable #6 guy but Durzi took his spot on the Kings and I’m ok with that.

It also makes the trade look great for us and in fairness I think it was a win-win for both teams. Toronto have gotten what they will have wanted out of Muzz, their issues since the deal have been elsewhere.

Björnfot looks like he will develop into at least a good #3, Grunström has elevated his game and Durzi has suddenly become an NHL player. Happy with that.
His learning curve is insane. When he first broke into the league a couple weeks ago, he was making mistakes left and right, but his offense was there. Now he's just nearly flawless. Good pickup.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I was 100% wrong about Durzi, did not expect exponential growth defensively and some of the stuff that causes his mistakes/turnovers in Ontario doesn't happen in the NHL with proper game flow and pro puck support, his decisiveness is a virtue, he doesn't overthink--and as others point out even if he makes a BAD decision he makes it with both feet all-in so his partner can read and cover. Dude is a sponge. AND blocked an Ovy one timer...

bmr

Jan 23, 2013
Durzi has been the opposite of Clague, he doesn't look timid at all when he's on the ice.

It's quite refreshing to see.

As easy as it is for us fans to play GM and say we know what's best for the team, it isn't always the case. Some players take longer to develop and really blossom when they do. Others never amount to much. It's great to see Durzi develop and Maatta string some good games together. Good for them.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
I was 100% wrong about Durzi, did not expect exponential growth defensively and some of the stuff that causes his mistakes/turnovers in Ontario doesn't happen in the NHL with proper game flow and pro puck support, his decisiveness is a virtue, he doesn't overthink--and as others point out even if he makes a BAD decision he makes it with both feet all-in so his partner can read and cover. Dude is a sponge. AND blocked an Ovy one timer...

Yeah me too. I've never seen a guy go from tire fire in the AHL to confident in the NHL in a handful of games like that.

Reactions: David Lunch

Mats26

Vet Movement - What's the Maatta?
Sep 16, 2005
I remember many battles on the main board with leaf fans after the Muzzin trade about Durzi. Being an overaged player they dismissed all he did in the OHL and the memorial cup run.

All he is doing is proving them wrong...again. #6D , 2nd PP unit was what I wanted at the time and here we are, he's playing over 20 minutes a night. The kid can play, seems smart enough to learn and excel in the Pro game, very good vision. Keep it up, it so refreshing to have a kid come up, make an impact and steal a spot.

Last edited:

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
Sometimes that is what is best for some players since the AHL can be more janky and unpredictable. If he is quick thinking and more logical then an environment like the NHL might be a bit easier to read since things typically have a better order to it and players are able to execute what plays they setup/telegraph. Same thing happens especially to many goaltenders. Many have said that the AHL was almost harder because the plays are a lot more broken, random, and less orderly.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
It's quite refreshing to see.

As easy as it is for us fans to play GM and say we know what's best for the team, it isn't always the case. Some players take longer to develop and really blossom when they do. Others never amount to much. It's great to see Durzi develop and Maatta string some good games together. Good for them.

To be fair, I don't think Clague/Durzi are mutually exclusive, and it's still terrible asset management. The evaluation that Maatta > Wolanin > Clague, especially given ages, is a little scary.

They're at least getting Durzi right and shoving him into roles he should be in though so at least they're getting that right as well.

Stimpythecat

Jul 1, 2015
The Kings have done some things right.

Roy, Walker, and now Durzi were never expected to be solid contributors much less NHL players.

Roy - 7th round pick 2015
Walker - undrafted
Durzi - late 2nd round pick 2018 and essentially a throw in for the Muzzin trade.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
The Kings have done some things right.

Roy, Walker, and now Durzi were never expected to be solid contributors much less NHL players.

Roy - 7th round pick 2015
Walker - undrafted
Durzi - late 2nd round pick 2018 and essentially a throw in for the Muzzin trade.

Kings are arguably the best in the league at getting value out of late picks and UDFAs. 0 concerns about churning out NHLers in general.

Reactions: cyclones22

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
I hope Durzi sticks and is a legit NHL defenseman but, just saying, his stat line this year is very similar to Clague's last season.

I've never been a Clague guy so my comment earlier in this thread is more of an asset management thing. I prefer Durzi if not only for the big difference in their stat lines last season: 0 hits in 11 games for Clague v. 15 in 12 games for Durzi. The latter was a little chippy and showed leadership qualities in my viewings of Ontario last season.

He made some of the most boneheaded defensive plays though, the kind that make you think he doesn't have what it takes. Nice to see him having a good tart so far. Would be a real boon for this team's future if he is legit.

Steve Zissou

I'll order you a red cap and a Speedo.
Feb 3, 2006
City of Angels

Goes to show you that some players game ::cough Turc:: in the AHL is not a 100% actual representation of how they might play in the NHL. Some players' game are just better suited for the NHL.

Now, if only Turc can stay healthy for a stretch of time and gets some games under his belt.

To be fair Clague/Durzi is still terrible asset management.

Same can be said for Hickey.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Prospect Info: - 2021 Los Angeles Kings Prospect Rankings #25

We had Durzi behind Clarke, Faber, Grans, Clague, Kirsanov, Nousiainen, Spence, Moverare, and Strand in our prospect rankings.

Durzi wasn't added to the poll until we got to #20. Shout out to @ricardfromage for this gem:

I absolutely don't know how Durzi isn't ranked in our top ten. Truly astonishing. I like Simontaival a bunch and see him as a can't miss bottom 6 NHLer with upside but Durzi is a 2nd paint steady D who has serious O skills. I mean I know he may not fit into our line up due to an embarrassment of riches on D but it doesn't change the fact that he belongs there. He is ranked way too low.

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
At the beginning of last AHL season, I thought Durzi was going to be an AHL lifer. It was probably a combination of new coaching staff, very young AHL roster and being paired with Phillips (ugh) and/or Gaunce (yikes). After about 10 games, the Reign started coming together and Durzi was part of that. He played much better. Then this season, starting with the preseason rookie tournament I thought wow, he looks like a different player now. Commanding on the ice which I attributed to his new flow giving him confidence. Then he was great in Ontario this season up until his call-up. His trajectory starting last season has been going up big time. I think he might actually be the goods. If he makes Walker expendable, that's great. Walker could be attractive as part of a trade for an upgrade elsewhere, like a diet version of sending off JMFJ + for Carter due to Voynov graduating. The right side is going to be highly competitive. Faber and Clarke are coming and probably soon.

Reactions: mysterman2

Ghetty Green

Apr 7, 2018
Boy was I wrong about Durzi. He doesn't even seem that bad defensively and offensively he is like a 4th forward. Hopefully he keeps it up

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln
    Mainz vs FC Köln
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $380.00