Confirmed with Link: Muzzin to Toronto for 2019 1st, Grundstrom, and rights to Durzi

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
LOL is Muzzin supposed to teleport to where Johnson is?

This isn't the play to make your stand by saying Muzzin had a bad night etc
In fairness, it isn't one either to claim he has been great this year also. I will defer to LA Kings fans who have seen him the most. But I as I said before, I am understanding why Muzzin is referred to Muffin by Kings fans with more east coast viewings now. He can be polarizing.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Muzzin peaked last season. The rhetoric around the trade is coming from TML fans who see him as a key piece for a deep playoff run. The best Jake Muzzin ever played in his life were the 2014 playoffs.

The Kings defense that year was arguably the best six D in recent history.

Doughty, Muzzin, Voynov, Martinez, Regehr, Greene.

They went 7 deep that year. You're forgetting Mitchell. And oddly enough, they didn't win in the playoffs that year because of their team defense.

Reactions: DoktorJeep

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Leafs fans get highly offended and call others trolls and other names when you don’t agree with their opinions. It’s funny to see how much they overreact and how offended they get by fair criticism.

Just for reference, all the infractions I've gotten have been because of leafs fans.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Sounds like Kings fans, but in a slightly different way. Muzzin makes a bonehead play or is perceived to have made a bad play, and here comes the "Muffin" takes.

Muzzin plays well, and it is barely acknowledged by his detractors, and applauded by those who think he was a pretty good defenseman for most of his time with the Kings.

Oh come on, you know this isn't true. I've never seen Kings fans unfairly treat Muzzin. No one has anything bad to say about Muzzin during this season as a king.

He's a good defenseman but his mental break downs tend to be very noticeable.

Little Psycho

I solemnly swear I'm up to no good
Feb 4, 2007
Non-Yah
He has good moments and bad moments. You're gonna get that from Muzzin unless he suddenly returns to his 2014 form. He's a good overall #2 dman.

Reactions: DoktorJeep

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Oh come on, you know this isn't true. I've never seen Kings fans unfairly treat Muzzin. No one has anything bad to say about Muzzin during this season as a king.

He's a good defenseman but his mental break downs tend to be very noticeable.
I have seen unfair criticism, and fair criticism leveled at almost every player on the roster. I do it sometimes as well. I think unfair criticism was more prevalent with Muzzin. It is the nature of message boards, some posters find a whipping boy and others pile on for mistakes they would let slide with other players. Sometimes it was even Muzzin trying to cover for a mistake made be a teammate, but since he was the last line of defense he received the blame.

Every defenseman in the NHL who is not a superstar makes poor decisions from time to time. Muzzin was criticized quite a bit this season, yet he was one of the few players on the roster with a positive plus/minus.

PatrikBerglund

May 29, 2017
I have seen unfair criticism, and fair criticism leveled at almost every player on the roster. I do it sometimes as well. I think unfair criticism was more prevalent with Muzzin. It is the nature of message boards, some posters find a whipping boy and others pile on for mistakes they would let slide with other players. Sometimes it was even Muzzin trying to cover for a mistake made be a teammate, but since he was the last line of defense he received the blame.

Every defenseman in the NHL who is not a superstar makes poor decisions from time to time. Muzzin was criticized quite a bit this season, yet he was one of the few players on the roster with a positive plus/minus.

Even the superstars mess up decently often.

The last guy who played a pretty much mistake-free game, was good'ol Nick.

DoktorJeep

Expediency x Sentimentality = Mediocrity
Aug 2, 2005
OC
They went 7 deep that year. You're forgetting Mitchell. And oddly enough, they didn't win in the playoffs that year because of their team defense.

Yea, Mitchell was there and Jeff Schultz played key fill in minutes vs ANA.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Even the superstars mess up decently often.

The last guy who played a pretty much mistake-free game, was good'ol Nick.
I agree, the best of the best tend to read the game better and don't make as many mental errors. Muzzin isn't in that class, but he is pretty damn good when he keeps the game simple and reacts.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Both were at fault. Matthews started it with the bad clearing, and Muzzin for not tying up Johnson's stick.
I dunno, the turnover happened pretty quickly. I think Muzzin did a good job of getting inside position on Johnson to clear any rebound that might have occurred. It was a good tip by Johnson, but say he misses the tip and there is a rebound which Muzzin can't clear because he is reaching fishing for Johnson's stick then people would be blaming Muzzin for not establishing inside position and being able to hold it.

I think Muzzin made the high percentage play there, which is defending against the rebound.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

2015 (or was it 16?) Drew Doughty was as close to a flawless defenseman as we've seen since Lidstrom, and I think we were spoiled by that.

The biggest problems with Muzzin came from outside, as people looked at his 60% CF and didn't realize that he made few errors but egregious ones. But that's part of what made him so good, too--volume out of our zone and towards the net, good enough to keep checkers honest and away from Doughty as he was a threat on his own, and was ok taking some risks because the positive outweighed the negative. And being able to play 24 all-situation minutes to a net positive is a skill few NHL d-men possess, top-45-60 for sure. All defensemen make mistakes to be sure, but what kept Muzzin out of that upper echelon was the frequency and location of those mistakes. Not trying to over-emphasize it because it was still relatively rare, but the reason he'd take such a beating is people would forget two flawless periods of hockey when he flushed a centering pass right up the middle to no one.

Remember I"m one of his biggest defenders too. This example always makes me laugh because I remember it in real time going "please muzzin just eat it don't do what I think you're going to do" right before he does it :laugh:

you can only see it at the very beginning here. Could just eat the puck or go behind the net but he throws it to a Shark for a quick 2-on-1 with Drew out of position expecting a pass:

MUFFIN

Edit: unrelatedly, "Quick robs Couture" brings up like 100 youtube videos :laugh: and maybe the most underrated save of all time

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Let's be real, there's no middle ground.

Muzzin does well, they'll come over and gloat about it.

Muzzin does poorly, and Kings fans will be blasted for not knowing what they were talking about.

The only sure thing is invasion and snobby Canadian superiority.

Popped in here to see what was going on but was not going to comment due to the obvious "Leaf-fan fatigue" in this thread. However a Mod should know better than to disparage an entire country. Embarrassing.

Still happy with the trade by the way, hope you guys are to.

Reactions: KingCanadain1976

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Popped in here to see what was going on but was not going to comment due to the obvious "Leaf-fan fatigue" in this thread. However a Mod should know better than to disparage an entire country. Embarrassing.

If the shoe doesn't fit, you don't have to wear it.

But more than once we've had to worry about US/sunbelt fan comments on our own boards, so.

We've had some great discussions with Leaf fans and I love when people visit to share opinions, there's been some good discussion. But when the turf war spills over, and hot takes based on country happens, it gets embarassing. I'm just calling a spade a spade. But maybe you're right that I should have prefaced it with "some" so I'm sorry for that. We have plenty of Canadian Kings fans right here so I'm certainly not painting the whole country with one brush, just those who bring the "our sport, nyah noobs" attitude over as if we haven't had this team and the sport since mid-last-century.

Choralone

Oct 16, 2010
Burbank, CA

Interpretation - he's calling out a segment of Canadians: the snobby segment.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
Let's be real, there's no middle ground.

Muzzin does well, they'll come over and gloat about it.

Muzzin does poorly, and Kings fans will be blasted for not knowing what they were talking about.

The only sure thing is invasion and snobby Canadian superiority.

2ca91c3457188765cb18dbc045bf97f9.jpg

:naughty:

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA
Really not worth judging this trade until Toronto finishes in the playoffs. They didn’t acquire Muzzin so they could make the playoffs, they got him for the run.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Really not worth judging this trade until Toronto finishes in the playoffs. They didn’t acquire Muzzin so they could make the playoffs, they got him for the run.

They’re shitting their pants over the prospect of facing Boston in the opening round. Should be a fun series if it’s anything like the previous two times they met in the post season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad