Confirmed with Link: Muzzin to Toronto for 2019 1st, Grundstrom, and rights to Durzi

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
He's always like that lol.
I like this one.
tumblr_n6kblbrI2o1rxl047o1_400.gif

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
The thing you have to recognize is Muzzin will largely go unnoticed when he is playing well. When he screws up, it will be noticed by everyone.

Muzzin was a very polarizing figure with LA Kings fans as well. He would often have stretches of 2 or 3 games where he would outplay Doughty, but then they both would return to normal. About the only thing Muzzin does well that will be noticed is when he makes a good read and sneaks down to the top of the circle to score a goal. He does have a very good first pass when he is on this game, but unfortunately those type of plays by Muzzin aren't recognized unless it is a primary assist.

I notice this. There is a wide range of conflicting opinions on his play since the trade. All I can say is he is a lot slower than I recall him on LA. I think the Kings style benefited his play, where now he is playing a more up tempo style of play, Your observations are fair, and seeing Muzzin more now that he is on an east coast team, does to me vertify what McCurdy tweeted. Thanks.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
I notice this. There is a wide range of conflicting opinions on his play since the trade. All I can say is he is a lot slower than I recall him on LA. I think the Kings style benefited his play, where now he is playing a more up tempo style of play, Your observations are fair, and seeing Muzzin more now that he is on an east coast team, does to me vertify what McCurdy tweeted. Thanks.
Muzzin isn't the swiftest skater. The Kings played a very heavy game during the 3-year period where they won two cups and lost in the WCF, but the heavy game mostly took place in the other teams zone.

In the defensive zone everything was very structured in terms of position, and the breakouts were crisp and fast. The Kings in those days didn't really have any secrets, they just executed so well no one could stop them. Creativity probably isn't Muzzin's strong suit. Once he learns where he is supposed to be in every given situation he will start to react instead of think, and that should help.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rumpelstiltskin

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003

Muzzin was never a great skater. He probably looked good compared to buses like Phaneuf and Forbort.

Right now Doughty's the only exceptional skater on the blueline. Walker is looking decent in that regard. Martinez is an average skater.

Reactions: Rumpelstiltskin

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
Once Muzzin stops thinking too much he will be fine. He is a great Defender when he is on his game.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
-2 tonight for Muzzin. And you guys know you have seen this before. Lost his man and goal. But you were told he is playing well by Leafs fans. As I said earlier today Kings fans, he has his good moments, but there have been more of these moments of late after a good start.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
-2 tonight for Muzzin. And you guys know you have seen this before. Lost his man and goal. But you were told he is playing well by Leafs fans. As I said earlier today Kings fans, he has his good moments, but there have been more of these moments of late after a good start.

I mean, Matthews threw a braindead pass right to the Lightning there, Muzzin at least went to the right spot, but it was too late a reaction to a bad, unnecessary turnover.

I'm not saying he's played well as I haven't been around enough to see, but if he gets executed for that and Matthews gets a free pass....

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
@The Winter Soldier You are getting crucified in that main board thread. Jesus, Maple Leaf fans are worse than the media in Toronto.

Let's be real, there's no middle ground.

Muzzin does well, they'll come over and gloat about it.

Muzzin does poorly, and Kings fans will be blasted for not knowing what they were talking about.

The only sure thing is invasion and snobby Canadian superiority.

Steve Zissou

I'll order you a red cap and a Speedo.
Feb 3, 2006
City of Angels
They are really insecure aren't they? And really all I did was post what we all know. Grundstrom is off to a good start, and Muzzin is polarizing. lol

I have to admit, I don't comprehend the thought process of posters who want to get you banned simply because your take on a player or deal has changed or evolved over time. That's mob mentality right there.

Tamp Bay has done that to nearly every team this season, usually on a nightly basis. It's hard not to see them emerging from the East.

Maple Laughs may not get past the 1st round.....again.

tenor.gif

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I mean, Matthews threw a braindead pass right to the Lightning there, Muzzin at least went to the right spot, but it was too late a reaction to a bad, unnecessary turnover.

I'm not saying he's played well as I haven't been around enough to see, but if he gets executed for that and Matthews gets a free pass....

Absolutely Matthews threw him a grenade. I doubt either gets the Gardiner treatment. There are scapegoats and there are some that can do no wrong.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Muzzin himself just isn't agile. That's not going to improve because he plays for a more agile team than the Kings were, and he's not not agile because that's how the Kings played. It also won't get worse(although of the two ways it could go, worse would be the way it'll likely go), it'll just be noticed more, because now more people will be able to watch Muzzin. Or willing to watch him. Or be exposed to him. Whatever the case may be, he's going to be who he is. Who he has been. Fine offensively(but he won't be Burns or anything, despite the beard attempt), thrown some hits, and be choppy in the d-zone. That's who he is. That's who he always was, but the Kings as a whole got away with a lot more interference than the league now allows.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
Muzzin himself just isn't agile. That's not going to improve because he plays for a more agile team than the Kings were, and he's not not agile because that's how the Kings played. It also won't get worse(although of the two ways it could go, worse would be the way it'll likely go), it'll just be noticed more, because now more people will be able to watch Muzzin. Or willing to watch him. Or be exposed to him. Whatever the case may be, he's going to be who he is. Who he has been. Fine offensively(but he won't be Burns or anything, despite the beard attempt), thrown some hits, and be choppy in the d-zone. That's who he is. That's who he always was, but the Kings as a whole got away with a lot more interference than the league now allows.

They took him from the penthouse to the shit house in less than a month. Who would ever want to play there? I could totally see them losing in the 1st round again.

AlphaBravo

Jan 31, 2015
Yerevan
This may be a controversial point but maybe Babcock is not that great of a coach. With that much talent in Toronto they need to go deep in the playoffs. If not, hire Sutter.

Reactions: Ghetty Green

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
This may be a controversial point but maybe Babcock is not that great of a coach. With that much talent in Toronto they need to go deep in the playoffs. If not, hire Sutter.

Yeah, the guy is the most overated in the game [not counting the Olympics]. He got this kind of super rep from his days in Detroit, even though none of his teams have got past the 2nd round in 10 years.

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012

Been saying it since the beginning of the year: those soyboys in Toronto aren’t winning anything.

They absolutely need a Sutter to whip them into legitimate competitive shape. Veteran playoff teams will eat them alive.

As far as Muzzin goes, he is what he is. Others have said it best: he’s adjusting to a brand new play style. Once he settles into a defined role, his best nights will also be his most invisible nights.

No one here ever claimed he was a potential #1. He’s not and never will be. He’s a good #2 who can excel in all situations once comfortable within a system.

Reactions: Kings man 4 life

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Let's be real, there's no middle ground.

Muzzin does well, they'll come over and gloat about it.

Muzzin does poorly, and Kings fans will be blasted for not knowing what they were talking about.

The only sure thing is invasion and snobby Canadian superiority.
Sounds like Kings fans, but in a slightly different way. Muzzin makes a bonehead play or is perceived to have made a bad play, and here comes the "Muffin" takes.

Muzzin plays well, and it is barely acknowledged by his detractors, and applauded by those who think he was a pretty good defenseman for most of his time with the Kings.

Reactions: King'sPawn

DoktorJeep

Expediency x Sentimentality = Mediocrity
Aug 2, 2005
OC
Muzzin peaked last season. The rhetoric around the trade is coming from TML fans who see him as a key piece for a deep playoff run. The best Jake Muzzin ever played in his life were the 2014 playoffs.

The Kings defense that year was arguably the best six D in recent history.

Doughty, Muzzin, Voynov, Martinez, Regehr, Greene.

To expect Jake to be the piece that gets the leafs out of the first round isn’t looking like it will be enough. The D wasn’t improved enough by just this one move. The whole Tavares signing has probably inflated expectations so much in that fan base that they’re over analyzing mistakes in general.

I wouldn’t read into their stretch run too much. Best thing is to rest their goalie ahead of the playoffs and not worry about competing with Boston for seeding.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014

The fact that you put this on Muzzin and not Matthews makes me question your bias here.

Clearly Matthews needed to pickup Johnson, he was closer etc, the fact that Muzzin had to skate PAST Matthews to get to Johnson is obvious.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
The fact that you put this on Muzzin and not Matthews makes me question your bias here.

Clearly Matthews needed to pickup Johnson, he was closer etc, the fact that Muzzin had to skate PAST Matthews to get to Johnson is obvious.
Both were at fault. Matthews started it with the bad clearing, and Muzzin for not tying up Johnson's stick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad