Proposal: Muzzin to the Leafs

Status
Not open for further replies.

MattyNew91

Jul 5, 2018
I think if Muzzin is added it's bc we traded Gardiner of his expiring contract. Muzzin would be cheap cap hit for another year after this one. Not sure if this would be enough what about Andreas Johnsson + Calle Rosen+ 2nd round pick. Calle is a young puck moving defenseman who is ready he has 15points in 16 games with the Marlies. Can quarterback a pp. Johnsson has shown he can be a top 6 just really stuck behind our depth of forwards. He has great speed shot and isn't afraid of going into the corners. But not sure what LA fans think.

Last edited:

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
reads this thread and thinks maybe this should be done on leafs page and come back to us with what would be available so me as a kings fan can deal with one person not have people pop in and say no no hes not available

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
pre vegas expansion I wanted Kapanen + pick for muzzin. Would have allowed LA to protect McNabb too.

Now I think Kap has increased his value so I am not sure how the two match up. That is still who I want though.

Reactions: zeke

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
Kapanen is untouchable.

Oh, please. What a joke.

Kapanen is great and all. But do you know what the word untouchable means? We're not talking about Matthews, here. We're talking about the guy riding his coattails. Kapanen is the opposite of "untouchable". He's actually expendable.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Oh, please. What a joke.

Kapanen is great and all. But do you know what the word untouchable means? We're not talking about Matthews, here. We're talking about the guy riding his coattails. Kapanen is the opposite of "untouchable". He's actually expendable.

especially since he needs a new deal and is on pace to ask for a good raise. I think he is the exact type of asset Toronto should be using if they want to upgrade elsewhere

Reactions: BinCookin and zaqq

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
especially since he needs a new deal and is on pace to ask for a good raise. I think he is the exact type of asset Toronto should be using if they want to upgrade elsewhere

Yup! And then add in the possibility of Toronto adding a certain other talented winger between now and December. Then how much do they really need Kapanen? Not a whole lot, if you ask me.

I'm not against keeping him. But he is one of the most "moveable" pieces on the team.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Yup! And then add in the possibility of Toronto adding a certain other talented winger between now and December. Then how much do they really need Kapanen? Not a whole lot, if you ask me.

I'm not against keeping him. But he is one of the most "moveable" pieces on the team.
If Toronto signs Nylander than I do not see how they keep Kap next year anyway. Now they could always deal his rights in the offseason but that will not help a playoff run this year

Reactions: zaqq

Zal

Jan 12, 2009
Nah pass.The price starts with Kapanen if not then Kings can find elsewhere to trade for what they need for their top 4 defensemen.
I’m an LA fan, and I doubt the Kings want salary coming back when it’s time to finally rebuild. They’ll want to control the drafting of players.

deaderhead28

Jul 3, 2010
I’m an LA fan, and I doubt the Kings want salary coming back when it’s time to finally rebuild. They’ll want to control the drafting of players.
Issue is Blake isnt rebuilding,their retooling and he isnt going to trade a top 4 asset for only picks,that's terrible asset management.

Zal

Jan 12, 2009
Issue is Blake isnt rebuilding,their retooling and he isnt going to trade a top 4 asset for only picks,that's terrible asset management.

Not if they draft with their first and get a decent prospect. Why would we want another contract? We aren’t going anywhere. The deadline and offseason will tell all. If he isn’t rebuilding by the deadline, then we have the wrong GM.

deaderhead28

Jul 3, 2010
Not if they draft with their first and get a decent prospect. Why would we want another contract? We aren’t going anywhere. The deadline and offseason will tell all. If he isn’t rebuilding by the deadline, then we have the wrong GM.
I totally understand your point but disagree 100%.This team isnt going to rebuild.Hearing ownership wants a competitive team and Luc abd Blake have no intention of a full rebuild and I agree.You dont trade your top 4 defensemen for picks and decent prospect.Thats very terrible asset management.You get high end talent not unknowns.

Zal

Jan 12, 2009
I totally understand your point but disagree 100%.This team isnt going to rebuild.Hearing ownership wants a competitive team and Luc abd Blake have no intention of a full rebuild and I agree.You dont trade your top 4 defensemen for picks and decent prospect.Thats very terrible asset management.You get high end talent not unknowns.

Age is against your line of thinking. They should keep Kopitar, Doughty and Quick. Quick because of his contract and to mentor. I’m not suggesting they’ll trade everyone, because they can’t. They do have to rebuild, though.

deaderhead28

Jul 3, 2010
Age is against your line of thinking. They should keep Kopitar, Doughty and Quick. Quick because of his contract and to mentor. I’m not suggesting they’ll trade everyone, because they can’t. They do have to rebuild, though.
I respect your opinion but neither you or I run the team or make the decisions surrounding it.Our opinions dont matter.The fact of the matter is that Blake has to carry out what ownership and Luc wants him to do.Blake and Luc think they've a couple of more years to compete.

Zal

Jan 12, 2009
I respect your opinion but neither you or I run the team or make the decisions surrounding it.Our opinions dont matter.The fact of the matter is that Blake has to carry out what ownership and Luc wants him to do.Blake and Luc think they've a couple of more years to compete.

Of course we don’t. I’m just seeing it from an experienced fans perspective.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
I know this stuff belongs on the Nylander thread, but, logically, he’s really the only other applicable piece if TOR doesn’t want to sell some of its good prospects. Nothing else on that list would even be a good base.

that wouldnt work for the leafs unless it was a Nylander for Muzzin + Toffoli type deal

TakeTheBody

Jan 10, 2018
Kapanen is untouchable.

At the rate he's going let's just hope he's sign able next season. Leafs are going to be up against the cap bad. I'm glad he 's playing well but the better he plays the more he costs. Lets hope Willy signs soon and we drop Kappy to the fourth line until the playoffs...lol

Reactions: Hollywood North

AmadiosAmigos

Oct 27, 2010
I would imagine the deal would be somewhere around a 1st conditions attached plus a 3rd ( or a 2nd in a later year) and one of Johnsson/Brown/Grundstrom. I’d believe the ask would be Kapanen but I’m just not sure that so smart for the Leafs with the Nylander RFA situation right now. I’d doubt Liljegren would be tacked on as top prospects generally aren’t traded. I’d imagine if they’re looking for defense Sandin could be interchangeable with Grundstrom.

I’m not going to act as I know what is currently ailing the Kings but I would be willing to believe they would want someone to contribute by next year if not help push them this year if they can get on a roll. If they retool I’d expect them to want to do a very quick retool with the players they have signed to term and the money they have them signed to.

As a Kings fan, I would be satisfied with a 2019 1st, a 2nd (19 or 20) and Johnsson/Brown.

Its tough to pick which one, since Brown plays a style I really admire but the Kings lack goal scoring which I think Johnsson would bring a little more.

Maybe Im way off base and this isnt enough value, but if I was GM and the Leafs came calling Id be very tempted by this. Of course, not knowing other teams offers makes things more difficult.

LucicAndChong

formerly known as Big Sugar
Jan 22, 2018
Ontario, Canada
He can play the right side. The idea would be to pair him with Gardiner. So, essentially we would have 2 pairings all Left Handed

Rielly-Hainsey
Gardiner-Muzzin
Dermott-Zaitsev
thats not how they would be lined up

Gardiner - Rielly
Dermott - Muzzin
Hainsey - Ozhiganov

this also allows the leafs the ability to move Zaitsevs contract for picks, saving massive cap space

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
I’d do dermott but not add much
Um, Nylander goes before Dermott and no i'm not kidding.

Top 4 defensmen that have high hockey IQ that can skate making 800 k is exactly what we need. Dermott has been excellent. It's not that Dermott is superior to Nylander it's just the market for young defensively responsible defensmen is such a premium they don't get moved. As demand goes up price goes up.

For Muzzin I'd push for a deal around around something of the following...

Timothy Liljegren + 3rd round pick

Johnsson + 2nd round pick + 3rd round pick.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Kapanen for Muzzin ++

seriously though kid would lead your team in goals and points..and he doesnt even get PP time

Dang...I knew we should have traded either Torrey Mitchell or Kyle Clifford for him last year while we still had the chance then. Derek Forbort could get TWO Kapanens last year!

Oh, it doesn't work like that, value isn't taken in an immediate production snapshot? Weird, that seems to be what's going on here.

Leafs don't have to do it and Muzzin doesn't play RHD, I wouldn't put him there frankly. But the cost for a great complementary top-pairing D isn't going to be roster scraps either.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina

I agree that people throw "untouchable" around with comical frequency, but I'm not sure I'd be comfortable calling him one of the most moveable pieces. I think it's still too early at this point to make an intelligent assessment of him as an asset. If he puts up ~50pts this year, you can likely bridge him at $3.X x 3 years or something due to his lack of previous NHL success, and have a decent chance of him outperforming that contract. As the team transitions out of its ELC era, that type of production per dollar is going to be absolutely crucial for sustained success. So you have to weigh that appropriately.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad