Proposal: Muzzin to the Leafs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
That would easily be beat. Habs in another thread are talking
Mete/Fleury,2019 1st [top 10 protected and Lehkonen.
That easily beats your Leafs offer.
No that ain't true. That was proposed by a single fan. I would def not do that trade.

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
Pass. 1st+Brown+3rd
As much as you might not like it, I’d bet the TMLs FO would trade Kapanen+ for Muzzin for various reasons. Think of the cap space you currently have and how much your UFAs are going to cost and how Babs literally degraded the kid and said he needs to accept he isn’t a top 6 player on his team... also Muzzin is easily one of your top 4 and increases your chances at a SC. Not sure how you feel about prospects/young players but when it comes to difference makers you make those moves especially when your team is a tighten defense away from going on a Kings/Hawks run.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
Where does Muzzin play in the leafs top 4?

He isnt playing ahead of Rielly or Gardiner and the leafs have dermott on the third paring.

Just doesnt make sense.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Where does Muzzin play in the leafs top 4?

He isnt playing ahead of Rielly or Gardiner and the leafs have dermott on the third paring.

Just doesnt make sense.

He can play the right side. The idea would be to pair him with Gardiner. So, essentially we would have 2 pairings all Left Handed

Rielly-Hainsey
Gardiner-Muzzin
Dermott-Zaitsev

Reactions: bland

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
He can play the right side. The idea would be to pair him with Gardiner. So, essentially we would have 2 pairings all Left Handed

Rielly-Hainsey
Gardiner-Muzzin
Dermott-Zaitsev
I guess? He hasnt played on the right side that much and I would worry that Gardiner and Muzzin would either work great or be terrible as a pairing.

Not a fan of trading 1st+young roster players+ for bad fits who dont have much term.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Kapanen is untouchable.

lol idk about Untouchable but I agree with the fact that Kapanen has far exceeded his value this season and is another serious threat offensively.

He's a guy we need to keep if we plan on making a deep run

Zal

Jan 12, 2009
I think a first and good prospect is enough. If he were younger, perhaps a second would be need to be included. This is based on the OP.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
I don't see the point, we might/will probably already lose Gardiner as a cap casualty secondary to Nylander. Adding Muzzin for assets just makes this cap crunch more difficult.

If we're targeting a D, cost/cap hit long term (and because of this, a younger player with upside/RFA rights) is a more ideal target.

Rather keep the 1st for this reason (cap)

Kingspiracy

Nov 13, 2006

Rielly-Hainsey
Gardiner-Muzzin
Dermott-Zaitsev

Can he? I don't remember seeing him play the right side, Martinez normally plays his off side. Muzzin would be a great add for a contending team, but i'm not sure where he fits on the Leafs. Does Reilly play RHD? LA could max retain to help things fit, but i'm not sure it makes sense for anyone.

Reactions: Ziggdiezan

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Can he? I don't remember seeing him play the right side, Martinez normally plays his off side. Muzzin would be a great add for a contending team, but i'm not sure where he fits on the Leafs. Does Reilly play RHD? LA could max retain to help things fit, but i'm not sure it makes sense for anyone.

Well I'm assuming we are going to Experiment with Muzzin on that right side but if it really doesnt work out, we can have Dermott move up then (he's played right side with the marlies before)

Reilly-Hainsey
Gardiner-Dermott
Muzzin-Zaitsev

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
I wonder if Grundstrom might hit that sweet spot, actually.

He's a very nice prospect, even plays the kings style, but isn't so good a prospect that he's untradeable for an impact 2nd tier player like muzzin.

Probably. For the unacquainted, Grundstrom is essentially the level of prospect Kapanen was last year. He's a grinder-type player with a good touch in front of the net who's been quite productive at the professional level. 25pts in 35 games in the SHL and a total of 17 points in 22 AHL games as a 19/20yr old last season. 12pts in 14 AHL games this year on a Marlies team with a lot less insulation.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
Probably. For the unacquainted, Grundstrom is essentially the level of prospect Kapanen was last year. He's a grinder-type player with a good touch in front of the net who's been quite productive at the professional level. 25pts in 35 games in the SHL and a total of 17 points in 22 AHL games as a 19/20yr old last season. 12pts in 14 AHL games this year with a Marlies team with a lot less insulation.

I like Grundstrom too but Kapanen always had a game-breaking element to his game that made his upside worth far more, which his absolutely elite speed. I'm not pumping his tires completely though- Kapanen can be a high-end complimentary guy but he won't drive a line like Nylander or Marner can (as a comparable).

deaderhead28

Jul 3, 2010
I think a first and good prospect is enough. If he were younger, perhaps a second would be need to be included. This is based on the OP.
Nah pass.The price starts with Kapanen if not then Kings can find elsewhere to trade for what they need for their top 4 defensemen.

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
I would imagine the deal would be somewhere around a 1st conditions attached plus a 3rd ( or a 2nd in a later year) and one of Johnsson/Brown/Grundstrom. I’d believe the ask would be Kapanen but I’m just not sure that so smart for the Leafs with the Nylander RFA situation right now. I’d doubt Liljegren would be tacked on as top prospects generally aren’t traded. I’d imagine if they’re looking for defense Sandin could be interchangeable with Grundstrom.

I’m not going to act as I know what is currently ailing the Kings but I would be willing to believe they would want someone to contribute by next year if not help push them this year if they can get on a roll. If they retool I’d expect them to want to do a very quick retool with the players they have signed to term and the money they have them signed to.

Reactions: SoulAssassin

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
I'd rather stay the course than gut the farm for a guy who can walk after next season. Help is on the way with guys like Liljegren and Sandin. If I'm gutting the system for a dman its gotta be an Ekblad, Parayko type. A younger Dman with top pairing potential.

Reactions: Kurtz

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
As much as you might not like it, I’d bet the TMLs FO would trade Kapanen+ for Muzzin for various reasons. Think of the cap space you currently have and how much your UFAs are going to cost and how Babs literally degraded the kid and said he needs to accept he isn’t a top 6 player on his team... also Muzzin is easily one of your top 4 and increases your chances at a SC. Not sure how you feel about prospects/young players but when it comes to difference makers you make those moves especially when your team is a tighten defense away from going on a Kings/Hawks run.
Last year...i may have agreed. But now that Kapanen has gotten a shot in the top 6, and is producing quite well there, i doubt the make that trade.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
I know I put his name in there but I doubt the kings can really ask for Kapanen, a 22yr old 1st rounder who would be leading their team in scoring, for muzzin.

and yeah Rielly can move to the right side no problem.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
I know I put his name in there but I doubt the kings can really ask for Kapanen, a 22yr old 1st rounder who would be leading their team in scoring, for muzzin.

and yeah Rielly can move to the right side no problem.
Why mess with Rielly right now? The kid is having a career year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad