Value of: Muzzin/Martinez+

KingsOfCali25

Start up the Bandwagon!
Feb 21, 2013
Santa Clarita, CA
The deals in here are ok but the Kings don't need defense coming back in trades. They have too many Dman as we speak so they don't need more (especially LHD). They need scoring forwards!

Never gonna happen, BUT, what does kings fans think of the value in

Alex Ovechkin
Lucas Johansen
Brett Connolly

For

Tyler Toffoli
Jake Muzzin
Gabe Vilardi

Easy no for this Kings fan. I wish the Kings could get someone like Ovi but it would kill the team when his contract is up. Plus, I wouldn't move Vilardi at all.

Reactions: KingCanadain1976

member 88115

No interest in moving Bailey

Bailey's $5m per deal is team friendly. I think he gave a hometown discount and doubt he is available
Totally understand. I would not want management to trade for similar type players we already have like Nelson and even Lee. Brown and Pearson are not great passers. With how Vegas and Sharks play we need players who see the ice better and not just go to the net.

I feel LA should trade Martinez and/or Muzzin (if/or when get Voynov back) for picks and/or prospects with this type of skill. Not many teams are going to trade them because of how the NHL is being called. Teams are now leaning to trading the Nelson, Lee, Brown and Pearson type players.

Last edited by a moderator:

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Leafs could use Muzzin...no idea what trade works though....
pre-expansion draft I put out Kapanen and it was received fairly well. At the time I was allowing LA to protect McNabb while getting a speedy up and coming forward. I would still be keen on this sort of deal.

Reactions: kingsofLA

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
Never gonna happen, BUT, what does kings fans think of the value in

Alex Ovechkin
Lucas Johansen
Brett Connolly

For

Tyler Toffoli
Jake Muzzin
Gabe Vilardi
How about Ovechkin for Muzzin, Toffoli and another 4th line roster player? The Kings really need Vilardi and his elc on the roster.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Totally understand. I would not want management to trade for similar type players we already have like Nelson and even Lee. Brown and Pearson are not great passers. With how Vegas and Sharks play we need players how see the ice better and not just go to the net.

I feel LA should trade Martinez and/or Muzzin (if/or when get Voynov back) for picks and/or prospects with this type of skill. Not many teams are going to trade them because of how the NHL is being called. Teams are now leaning to trading the Nelson, Lee, Brown and Pearson type players.
That's a good point, Bailey would be a perfect fit then.

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
OK you can fit it in, but then depth becomes a big issue having three guys at ~$30M.
agreed you would have to be sure u have young cheap talent coming and i think we do in Clague Brickley vilardi dolan etc If u think they will contribute no real worry cap is going up again and should with Seattle coming it is tight yes by manageable

Born and Raised

Apr 22, 2018
The Kings have an abundance of defensemen as it is. Trading one for another doesn't really solve anything.
Zacha would be too much and Bratt hasnt shown enough to be considered a piece to move. I doubt LA has much confidence after this last sweep so I wouldnt be surprised if they take a bundle of picks and prospects for Muzzin and see what they can turn that into.

If LA doesnt move Muzzin I think its poor asset management.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Zacha would be too much and Bratt hasnt shown enough to be considered a piece to move. I doubt LA has much confidence after this last sweep so I wouldnt be surprised if they take a bundle of picks and prospects for Muzzin and see what they can turn that into.

If LA doesnt move Muzzin I think its poor asset management.

That's silly. LA has a lot of moveable parts, but none they're being held hostage for. They can get younger and more assets but moving other pieces as well--hell, the premise of this thread mentions Martinez as well. Both good d-men on good contracts, vets who can play all situations. It's not 'poor asset management' to hang onto a top-pairing d-man on a good deal because an offer doesn't make sense. LA has a lot of flexibility and hasn't shown their hand re: what direction they're going to go, but trading a good d-man for another d-man is one that doesn't really make sense when their woes are clearly young scoring help on offense.

Born and Raised

Apr 22, 2018
That's silly. LA has a lot of moveable parts, but none they're being held hostage for. They can get younger and more assets but moving other pieces as well--hell, the premise of this thread mentions Martinez as well. Both good d-men on good contracts, vets who can play all situations. It's not 'poor asset management' to hang onto a top-pairing d-man on a good deal because an offer doesn't make sense. LA has a lot of flexibility and hasn't shown their hand re: what direction they're going to go, but trading a good d-man for another d-man is one that doesn't really make sense when their woes are clearly young scoring help on offense.
Well nobody said it had to be for a bad offer. I doubt if Muzzin was available they'd get poor offers and on top of that I dont see why they can't sacrifice a little bit of value to get a piece in an area of higher need - Vilardi should be a stud as soon as next year and Martinez and Doughty are still around. I see no reason to hold onto Muzzin after what just happened - not saying it is his fault but after something like the last 2-3 years from LA it screams slight retool - move a dman/forward or two and replace them with younger, hungrier talents who push competition and thrive in today's league. Again, not saying Muzzin can't because he already does but wouldn't LA rather take a year or two to retool and inject some youth and different guys/new scenery and then be back to being competitive? Something has to change and I don't see the problem on just one person but instead the lack of offense. LA can afford to move Muzzin and still be solid defensively. Hell they could even try to sign a FA or trade for another dman, we haven't even thought about that yet.

Either way I think keeping all of their dmen is silly. If it ends up being Martinez moved then fine, my point applies to him as well. But I personally think Muzzin gets more and has the shorter contract, plus lets not forget Phaneuf is on the left side and he was underutilized in the playoffs IMO but thats another topic.

KingsOfCali25

Start up the Bandwagon!
Feb 21, 2013
Santa Clarita, CA
Well nobody said it had to be for a bad offer. I doubt if Muzzin was available they'd get poor offers and on top of that I dont see why they can't sacrifice a little bit of value to get a piece in an area of higher need - Vilardi should be a stud as soon as next year and Martinez and Doughty are still around. I see no reason to hold onto Muzzin after what just happened - not saying it is his fault but after something like the last 2-3 years from LA it screams slight retool - move a dman/forward or two and replace them with younger, hungrier talents who push competition and thrive in today's league. Again, not saying Muzzin can't because he already does but wouldn't LA rather take a year or two to retool and inject some youth and different guys/new scenery and then be back to being competitive? Something has to change and I don't see the problem on just one person but instead the lack of offense. LA can afford to move Muzzin and still be solid defensively. Hell they could even try to sign a FA or trade for another dman, we haven't even thought about that yet.

Either way I think keeping all of their dmen is silly. If it ends up being Martinez moved then fine, my point applies to him as well. But I personally think Muzzin gets more and has the shorter contract, plus lets not forget Phaneuf is on the left side and he was underutilized in the playoffs IMO but thats another topic.

Moving Muzzin is a terrible idea until LA knows what Doughty is going to do. He is too important to the LA blue line. Martinez is easier to move because LA has guys to fill that void.

Forbort--Doughty
Muzzin--LaDue
Phanuef--Brickley

Is better than...

Forbort--Doughty
Phanuef--Martinez
Brickley--LaDue

And for the retool. It has already started. This year LA brought in...Iafallo, Amadio, Kempe, LaDue, Fantenberg, Gravel. Next year they will also bring in Brickley, Vilardi, Brodzinski, Rempal.

The youth is coming for the retool.
They just need a little more young skill up front. Preferably a winger with skill that can create & score on his own.

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002
I'd give the Muzzin for Zacha + Severson trade a go, even if LA had to add a small + to get it over the line ( perhaps rieders rights?)

We lose the best player at present, but get younger and add a bit of potential.
Would a 2nd round pick to NJ work?

Severson + Zacha for Muzzin + 2nd

Kingspiracy

Nov 13, 2006
Would a 2nd round pick to NJ work?

Severson + Zacha for Muzzin + 2nd

No, probably not. We have traded away too many high picks in recent years trying for a third cup and it burned us. We still have an aging core ( which it partly why we may accept younger guys with potential for muzzin)

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002
No, probably not. We have traded away too many high picks in recent years trying for a third cup and it burned us. We still have an aging core ( which it partly why we may accept younger guys with potential for muzzin)
How about a 3rd. Devils need to replinish some picks they traded at the deadline.

Kingspiracy

Nov 13, 2006
How about a 3rd. Devils need to replinish some picks they traded at the deadline.

Yeah i guess, a third isnt exactly going to kill a trade. Our player values are probably way off of what a gm would think anyway, so haggling over a mid/ late pick is kind of pointless. I suppose if the teams were discussing this trade, blake would come back with "how much are you going to retain on severson for that pick"

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
To

Not many teams are going to trade them because of how the NHL is being called. Teams are now leaning to trading the Nelson, Lee, Brown and Pearson type players.

Lee provides a physical, net front presence that teams will always want.

And I do not think the isles want to trade Lee, but realize to get something valuable they will have to have to give up something of quality.
Nelson ( 20 goal scorer), was shopped during the regular season and could not return the quality, top 4D the isles need. So, clearly the isles will need to give up a more valuable asset ( such as 40 goal scorer Lee).

And if the isles move Lee, young PF Bellows will get every chance to make the nyi roster and contribute.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad