Value of: Muzzin/Martinez+

evanreynolds1116

Jul 22, 2017
As a Kings fan, I'm tired of seeing all the posts about us trading for a Dman. Kings DO NOT need another D man. Lowest GAA in the league. We already have Doughty, Muzzin, Martinez, and Forbort as the top 4. Then we have Phaneuf, LaDue, Fantenberg, Brickly, Gravel and then Klague coming up through the system. Kings scored 3 goals in 4 playoff games and only allowed 7 goals. WE NEED OFFENSE.

So my question is, what's the value of Muzzin/Martinez w/ a potential + for some help on offense ? The plus could be someone like Pearson/Toffoli depending on who we get back. I love both of them but I feel like they could benefit from a change of scenery. Kings really need a 1st line LW for Kopitar. PLEASE for the love of god do not try and throw in Villardi as the + because Kings have no interest in trading him as everyone expects him to be playing with the big boys next year.

Muzzin is a top pairing dman who's 29 and signed for two more years at $4M. Martinez would be a second pairing dman who's 30 and signed for 3 more years at $4M. Both great players on great contracts with some term still left.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
As a Kings fan, I'm tired of seeing all the posts about us trading for a Dman. Kings DO NOT need another D man. Lowest GAA in the league. We already have Doughty, Muzzin, Martinez, and Forbort as the top 4. Then we have Phaneuf, LaDue, Fantenberg, Brickly, Gravel and then Klague coming up through the system. Kings scored 3 goals in 4 playoff games and only allowed 7 goals. WE NEED OFFENSE.

So my question is, what's the value of Muzzin/Martinez w/ a potential + for some help on offense ? The plus could be someone like Pearson/Toffoli depending on who we get back. I love both of them but I feel like they could benefit from a change of scenery. Kings really need a 1st line LW for Kopitar. PLEASE for the love of god do not try and throw in Villardi as the + because Kings have no interest in trading him as everyone expects him to be playing with the big boys next year.

Muzzin is a top pairing dman who's 29 and signed for two more years at $4M. Martinez would be a second pairing dman who's 30 and signed for 3 more years at $4M. Both great players on great contracts with some term still left.
Not sure the cap situation of the Kings at the moment but I imagine they take a look at signing JvR this summer. Adds some offensive without giving up any assets. Also think he would be a great fit.

evanreynolds1116

Jul 22, 2017
Not sure the cap situation of the Kings at the moment but I imagine they take a look at signing JvR this summer. Adds some offensive without giving up any assets. Also think he would be a great fit.

JvR would be a great pickup but we would need to get rid of player(s) make room for him.

With our projected lineup, if cap goes to $78M we would have $4.8M in cap money to spend. If it goes up to $82M that's $8.8M to play with.

evanreynolds1116

Jul 22, 2017
Zacha+ for Muzzin.

I could see Zacha breaking out and NJ regretting it, but Muzzin fills our most pressing need and makes us a far better team.

What would be the plus ? It'd be hard to give up a top pairing Dman on a friendly contract for a player who only had 8 goals this season. I get he was a 6th overall pick in 2015 but we would probably need a more proven scorer.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
JvR would be a great pickup but we would need to get rid of player(s) make room for him.

With our projected lineup, if cap goes to $78M we would have $4.8M in cap money to spend. If it goes up to $82M that's $8.8M to play with.
He likely costs anywhere from 6-7 million a year so may need to move some cash out depending on how far the cap rises.

evanreynolds1116

Jul 22, 2017
Pacioretty for Muzzin

Not a bad hockey trade. 1YR of Pacioretty @ $4.5M for 2YRS of Muzzin @ $4M.

Would Montreal fans even go for that though ? Because every trade scenario I see involving Kings getting Pacioretty they seem to be asking for Muzzin, Villardi + 1st :laugh:

evanreynolds1116

Jul 22, 2017
He likely costs anywhere from 6-7 million a year so may need to move some cash out depending on how far the cap rises.

Yeah that's what I was guessing as well. You also have to consider Doughty's new contract. Will be $7M next year but after I would assume he'll get $11M/yr

Reactions: Ziggdiezan

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014

Would Montreal fans even go for that though ? Because every trade scenario I see involving Kings getting Pacioretty they seem to be asking for Muzzin, Villardi + 1st :laugh:

Yeah, i won't comment on those tradeproposals as it was already beaten to death. But considering last year, i think it's a fair deal. Muzzin would be interesting to see with Weber and Pacioretty definately solves a problem for LA.

I would say maybe it favors the Habs a bit considering Muzzin has 1 more year left but frankly, i think Pacioretty has more chance to resign with LA than Muzzin with the Habs.

evanreynolds1116

Jul 22, 2017
Yeah, i won't comment on those tradeproposals as it was already beaten to death. But considering last year, i think it's a fair deal. Muzzin would be interesting to see with Weber and Pacioretty definately solves a problem for LA.

I would say maybe it favors the Habs a bit considering Muzzin has 1 more year left but frankly, i think Pacioretty has more chance to resign with LA than Muzzin with the Habs.

I guess it depends on how you look at it. Pacioretty will be 30 by the end of his contract. It would all depend on what Pacioretty is asking and what other teams would offer him.

I still feel like Montreal would ask for more due to the fact that they are losing a 30+ goal scorer when they were the 3rd worst in the league for GF. But they really do need a defender like Muzzin since they were 5th worst in GAA. Montreal just needs to improve on both sides and I think another team could offer a better deal. But if they could sign someone like JvR or Kane, that would fill the void left by Pacioretty.

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
I guess it depends on how you look at it. Pacioretty will be 30 by the end of his contract. It would all depend on what Pacioretty is asking and what other teams would offer him.

I still feel like Montreal would ask for more due to the fact that they are losing a 30+ goal scorer when they were the 3rd worst in the league for GF. But they really do need a defender like Muzzin since they were 5th worst in GAA. Montreal just needs to improve on both sides and I think another team could offer a better deal. But if they could sign someone like JvR or Kane, that would fill the void left by Pacioretty.

Yep i agree. But Habs offense is really bad due to a lack of 2 proper top 6 centers. We are fine on the wings even with Pacioretty gone. Off course we lose a big chunk of our goals scored but if we can replace him with a good top 6 center that makes his wingers better, that would be a winning situation for us. We already have Galchenyuk, Drouin and Gallagher as top 6 wingers with young players like Lehkonen and Scherbak potentially getting there with time.

I have a strong feeling Bergevin won't trade Pacioretty for futures but for actual roster player, in a hockey deal. And the two positions to fill are top 4 lhd and top 6 center.

evanreynolds1116

Jul 22, 2017
Yep i agree. But Habs offense is really bad due to a lack of 2 proper top 6 centers. We are fine on the wings even with Pacioretty gone. Off course we lose a big chunk of our goals scored but if we can replace him with a good top 6 center that makes his wingers better, that would be a winning situation for us. We already have Galchenyuk, Drouin and Gallagher as top 6 wingers with young players like Lehkonen and Scherbak potentially getting there with time.

I have a strong feeling Bergevin won't trade Pacioretty for futures but for actual roster player, in a hockey deal. And the two positions to fill are top 4 lhd and top 6 center.

Gotcha. I know nothing about MTL's situation besides looking at the stats for this year. Kings are looking for a simple hockey trade as well. We can't afford to give up picks and prospects. Sounds like a fair trade to me.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
What would be the plus ? It'd be hard to give up a top pairing Dman on a friendly contract for a player who only had 8 goals this season. I get he was a 6th overall pick in 2015 but we would probably need a more proven scorer.

I wouldn't expect you to be fluent in all things Devils, but for anyone that has watched them closely this year, Pavel Zacha has visibly turned a corner in his game.

His stat line from this year is virtually identical to 2016-17, but, peeling back the layers of the onion, Zacha's ESPoints/60 spiked to 1.35 from 0.82. He's a responsible, big player with a fantastic two-way game... strong on his skates, good awareness, hard to knock off the puck. His offensive game is still rounding out, but we've seen flashes... he has a heavy shot from the circles on the PP and is very good in transition.

Frankly, I see a lot of Sean Couturier in him. I'm not saying Zacha will have some monster 30-goal breakout one day, but they're similar players in both style and trajectory. As far as the plus I'd add on top of Zacha for Muzzin, I'm not sure I'd add a ton. I think it's a very good gamble for LA, and a no-brainer for NJ given their needs.

(And, for what it's worth, Hynes and Shero have referred to Zacha in the past as a winger. I think he only played C this year out of necessity, given the Henrique trade. I only mention this because 1LW was specified in the OP.)

Reactions: ManwithNoIdentity

go4hockey

Oct 14, 2007
Alta Loma CA

We should not be moving anything for players with 1 year left as we can’t re-sign them and it would be very poor asset management and something Blake and Co have stayed away from. This crap is s Dean move the last few years here and a big reason he is not here.

evanreynolds1116

Jul 22, 2017
I wouldn't expect you to be fluent in all things Devils, but for anyone that has watched them closely this year, Pavel Zacha has visibly turned a corner in his game.

His stat line from this year is virtually identical to 2016-17, but, peeling back the layers of the onion, Zacha's ESPoints/60 spiked to 1.35 from 0.82. He's a responsible, big player with a fantastic two-way game... strong on his skates, good awareness, hard to knock off the puck. His offensive game is still rounding out, but we've seen flashes... he has a heavy shot from the circles on the PP and is very good in transition.

Frankly, I see a lot of Sean Couturier in him. I'm not saying Zacha will have some monster 30-goal breakout one day, but they're similar players in both style and trajectory. As far as the plus I'd add on top of Zacha for Muzzin, I'm not sure I'd add a ton. I think it's a very good gamble for LA, and a no-brainer for NJ given their needs.

(And, for what it's worth, Hynes and Shero have referred to Zacha in the past as a winger. I think he only played C this year out of necessity, given the Henrique trade. I only mention this because 1LW was specified in the OP.)

You are correct. Can't say I've watched many Devils games this year. I just feel like the Kings shouldn't be taking gambles with the current state of our team. Would probably come down to what teams would offer for Muzzin. But I guess I need to do more research on Zacha.

go4hockey

Oct 14, 2007
Alta Loma CA
Gotcha. I know nothing about MTL's situation besides looking at the stats for this year. Kings are looking for a simple hockey trade as well. We can't afford to give up picks and prospects. Sounds like a fair trade to me.

Thank god your not making decisions for the Kings. We would be going into full rebuild in 2-3 years with how you would run things. Blake will get things done without making rental moves.

evanreynolds1116

Jul 22, 2017
We should not be moving anything for players with 1 year left as we can’t re-sign them and it would be very poor asset management and something Blake and Co have stayed away from. This crap is s Dean move the last few years here and a big reason he is not here.

But who's to say we are for sure re-signing Muzzin after his contract is up ? If it's not a sure thing, it's hard to pass up adding a 30 goal scorer next to Kopitar.

evanreynolds1116

Jul 22, 2017
Thank god your not making decisions for the Kings. We would be going into full rebuild in 2-3 years with how you would run things. Blake will get things done without making rental moves.

To add on to what I already said, Kings may not even be re-signing Muzzin after his contract ends. With the signing of Brickly and then Klague coming up and if LaDue does find his game... we have a lot of options and depth at D.

If we are to re-sign Muzzin... what's it gonna cost ? He's definitely getting a raise... maybe $5m-$6m ? Can we afford that in two years ?

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
To add on to what I already said, Kings may not even be re-signing Muzzin after his contract ends. With the signing of Brickly and then Klague coming up and if LaDue does find his game... we have a lot of options and depth at D.

If we are to re-sign Muzzin... what's it gonna cost ? He's definitely getting a raise... maybe $5m-$6m ? Can we afford that in two years ?
He will probably command the same kind of contract than Pacioretty 6M$-6,5M$ maybe 7M$

go4hockey

Oct 14, 2007
Alta Loma CA
But who's to say we are for sure re-signing Muzzin after his contract is up ? If it's not a sure thing, it's hard to pass up adding a 30 goal scorer next to Kopitar.

Not hard at all. The Kings do not need any rentals and Patches could only be s rental as it would be way past dumb to sign a 30 y/o winger to a new 6-8 year contract. If we are not going to keep Muzzin you move him for something that helps long term not a one year flash

go4hockey

Oct 14, 2007
Alta Loma CA

Again why give away Muzzin for a rental. That would be dumb if your not going to re-sign him you trade him.... just not for a rental we could and would do so much better.

evanreynolds1116

Jul 22, 2017
Not hard at all. The Kings do not need any rentals and Patches could only be s rental as it would be way past dumb to sign a 30 y/o winger to a new 6-8 year contract. If we are not going to keep Muzzin you move him for something that helps long term not a one year flash

Well obviously if an offer came through where we could trade Muzzin for a 1st line LW with term I would be all on board 100%. But Patches would definitely be a one year rental because new management has learned from the previous mistakes of signing older wingers to long contracts with big money. I just think about how dangerous that first line would be with Patches on there.

IF nothing else better came through and Kings had the feeling that they wouldn't be re-signing Muzzin... I'd take it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad