Post-Game Talk: Mustard Kittens 2 - Pooped Jets 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Can we talk about how bad Saku has been? He is ~40% xGoals on the Season... no other forward is near as bad (the next worst forward is ~47% in that metric). Among all forwards in the league, he ranks 5th worst in xGoals Relative Teammate (min 150 mins). No Jet in history of 2.0 has played as many minutes as Saku with as bad or worse relative xG differential.

He should not be on the lineup. Literally everyone of our depth pieces is better than him.
only has pk value. otherwise he's a 4th liner and should not be on a 3rd line.
Stanley had a solid start then was mediocre, but bad Pionk resurfaced in a big way to be the worst D.

TDL can't come soon enough to help out the depth F's.
1674663000663.png

id like to see samberg-schmidt progress into our top-4 at this point.

RabidOne

Drinking all the beers
Apr 15, 2014
Kelowna
Tough loss to close out a grueling road trip. Not all that upset about it, we played hard but clearly wewnr mentally sharp enough.

HElle played a great game but Saros was just a bit better.

JoMo was great but couldn't get anything to go, glad he was out at the end. DeMelo was sloppy, just uncharacteristic bad pinches and coverage.

Pionk worked hard as did Dillion but both were hit and miss.

Stanley started right with the hit in the first but the rust became apparent after as he was behind the play often and sluggish. That is to be expected. Schmidt was ok but plays better with Snerg

Dubois/Conner/Perfetti: Cole played well, disrupted well, made a sick pass on the goal and found the lanes well tonight. Conner was just off tonight, some really questionable decision making on his zone entries and didn't bear down on his chances. Dubois started horribly with terrible play exiting his zone and chaotic play entering there's but settled and had a good third.

Scheifele/Wheeler/Ehlers: I thought Mark played well in his end but was a half second slow in his offensive decision making tonight. Still had some good looks. Wheeler looked like he was gassed all night and really fighting it, Ehlers with hit and miss for me tonight. Some good plays and then went missing for a while.

Third line: Played their best game in a while but couldn't cash on their numerous point blank chances. We need a talent upgrade here if we are going to go on a run.

Fourth line got caved in after the first.

I didn't like the coaches decision to go the seniority route and put Blake out to close the game when he was one of the worst players o the ice for us. Reward good play and play the guy playing better hockey in Cole.

Pp was still looking out of sync. It didn't seem like they knew what they wanted to try to open up. PK was good.
I noticed that the last couple of games. A lot of standing around on the pp just passing it back and forth. No movement or misdirection to pull the defenders out of position.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I noticed that the last couple of games. A lot of standing around on the pp just passing it back and forth. No movement or misdirection to pull the defenders out of position.

Sometimes I think there is too much skill on it and they overthink things and that causes them to freeze in place.

It isn't always about putting your best players on the ice, sometimes you need to put the right pieces on the ice.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Sometimes I think there is too much skill on it and they overthink things and that causes them to freeze in place.

It isn't always about putting your best players on the ice, sometimes you need to put the right pieces on the ice.
Wonder if they should try Cole for someone. Also if they did who? I’m guessing Ehlers or Schief. As Pld is the net front. Connor the sniper. Mo the D.

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
Samberg been okay, not great, Big Stan still better!
Logan did two things on his first shift back that Samberg has yet to do… deliver a crushing body check and pummel a guy in a fight. Too many fans are stubbornly sticking to their original narratives that they adopted before these two ever played their first games. The truth is, Stanley is better than was originally feared while Samberg (and Heinola) are not as good as many had predicted.

Not by any parameter!!!
By every one actually. Stanley is simply better than Dylan Puffed Wheat.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Logan did two things on his first shift back that Samberg has yet to do… deliver a crushing body check and pummel a guy in a fight. Too many fans are stubbornly sticking to their original narratives that they adopted before these two ever played their first games. The truth is, Stanley is better than was originally feared while Samberg (and Heinola) are not as good as many had predicted.

Samberg has almost the same rate of hits thrown as Stanley. Samberg blocks more shots, and takes less minor penalties and has overall better results on ice.

I am always willing to change my opinion based on new information (I started the season saying Heinola should on the roster and now agree that he needs to be with the moose). Samberg has just been way better than Logan and it's not even close.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013

Good thing he threw a hit and had a fight, we probably wouldn't have won if he hadn't.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Wonder if they should try Cole for someone. Also if they did who? I’m guessing Ehlers or Schief. As Pld is the net front. Connor the sniper. Mo the D.

Hard to know as Mark and Nick switch a lot.
Samberg has almost the same rate of hits thrown as Stanley. Samberg blocks more shots, and takes less minor penalties and has overall better results on ice.

I am always willing to change my opinion based on new information (I started the season saying Heinola should on the roster and now agree that he needs to be with the moose). Samberg has just been way better than Logan and it's not even close.

Yeah and Snerg can play with more players to. It seems Stanley seems only capable of good results with DeMelo so far in his career.

Reactions: Stumbledore

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Our bottom 6 guys seem to ebb and “flow“. No pun intended cuz Flow, Kuhlman, Manalainen, Stenlund all take turns looking decent and then bad. Flow and Kuhlman looked good in the first I thought. But ya, Manalainen has not looked as good as he did earlier in the year.
i hesitate to say desperate as we are 10th in GF overall (18th at 5v5), but we really need some offensive juice in the bottom-6 for the POs.

Lowry hasn't scored in 22 games and is a -10 at 5v5 during that stretch. the wingers you mentioned, and ill include barron in that, are hardly consistent on offense.

i think you can get by in a regular season with a below-average bottom-6 if your top-6 and goaltending are great - which ours evidently are. however, in the POs id say it's paramount to have a 3rd line that can score or overall better offense down there.

Last edited:

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg

The underlying numbers would certainly support this.

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville

You know someone is grasping at straws when they use the phrase “and it isn’t even close”. Samberg is prone to poor decisions, sloppy play and his hits wouldn’t intimidate a Timbits player. Itynot that he hasn’t had some decent games, but he certainly hasn’t brought anything impactful like so many backers were exclaiming he would.

Stanley turned out far better than expected, even as a bottom pairing defender. Meanwhile, Samberg has been underwhelming at best. I think both will still improve, but Samberg seems little more than Tucker Poolman with a different number.

Reactions: rkp and Fairview

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
You know someone is grasping at straws when they use the phrase “and it isn’t even close”. Samberg is prone to poor decisions, sloppy play and his hits wouldn’t intimidate a Timbits player. Itynot that he hasn’t had some decent games, but he certainly hasn’t brought anything impactful like so many backers were exclaiming he would.

Stanley turned out far better than expected, even as a bottom pairing defender. Meanwhile, Samberg has been underwhelming at best. I think both will still improve, but Samberg seems little more than Tucker Poolman with a different number.
Is it possible to like both players? Stanley is the kind of player you might want for a team that hits a lot, goes to the net hard, like Minnesota or Nashville, but I see Samberg as the kind of player you want against good skating teams, like Colorado, because he won't get beat off the edge. I'd say Samberg is the better PKer, but I think Big Stan can score some goals when he gets back in a rythym. He's still got a heavy shot from the point, which teams will respect the more accurate it gets, right off the hop too he put a real nice pass on to a rushing Wheeler's stick for a back door chance, those kind of plays I like to see from the Big Man who has some underrated offensive skill to his game.

Reactions: WpgSteve

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
This is the kind of game where I'd like to hear the players mic'd up. There sure was a lot of chatter out there. Wasn't hard to lip read Adam Lowry at the end.

Nov 24, 2006
Is it possible to like both players? Stanley is the kind of player you might want for a team that hits a lot, goes to the net hard, like Minnesota or Nashville, but I see Samberg as the kind of player you want against good skating teams, like Colorado, because he won't get beat off the edge. I'd say Samberg is the better PKer, but I think Big Stan can score some goals when he gets back in a rythym. He's still got a heavy shot from the point, which teams will respect the more accurate it gets, right off the hop too he put a real nice pass on to a rushing Wheeler's stick for a back door chance, those kind of plays I like to see from the Big Man who has some underrated offensive skill to his game.

Apparently not.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
My only beef with Stanley is his insertion into the lineup comes at the cost of somebody better being out. If he were better than everybody else, I'd have no issue with him being in the lineup. It's that simple. Samberg has shown in his smaller NHL resume that he is a better defender and a more agile skater.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Honestly neither Stanley/Snerg play all that physical a game. Just because players are big doesn't mean they play physically cough Myers cough.

Snerg has better skating which allows him to shut things down better in his end. Tree has better mits and can make a better breakout. Offensively both have big shots but don't use them well.

Reactions: WolfHouse

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
My only beef with Stanley is his insertion into the lineup comes at the cost of somebody better being out. If he were better than everybody else, I'd have no issue with him being in the lineup. It's that simple. Samberg has shown in his smaller NHL resume that he is a better defender and a more agile skater.
I like him better than Dillon at this point.

Reactions: JetsFan815

Jack7222

Mar 17, 2021

I actually was surprised at how good Stanley ended up being in his first big run of games after being pretty down on the draft pick.

I was also surprised at how bad Samberg has looked at times earlier this year, after being really high on him on the Moose.

And, finally, I've been once again surprised to see Stanley stall a little as (IMO) a third pairing/#7, and Samberg start to turn a corner and begin to become really good.

Last edited:
Reactions: Stumbledore

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
i hesitate to say desperate as we are 10th in GF overall (18th at 5v5), but we really need some offensive juice in the bottom-6 for the POs.

Lowry hasn't scored in 22 games and is a -10 at 5v5 during that stretch. the wingers you mentioned, and ill include barron in that, are hardly consistent on offense.

i think you can get by in a regular season with a below-average bottom-6 if your top-6 and goaltending are great - which ours evidently are. however, in the POs id say it's paramount to have a 3rd line that can score or overall better offense down there.

Stenlund may be able to keeep his job as the 4th line center but it appears all the wing spots in the bottom six could definitely be improved. If we can’t do that I think it’ll be hard to make a deep run.

Reactions: voyageur

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Stenlund may be able to keeep his job as the 4th line center but it appears all the wing spots in the bottom six could definitely be improved. If we can’t do that I think it’ll be hard to make a deep run.
i mean he should be. it's not like it's high competition b/w him & Gus.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Lots of bad giveaways. I noticed several when they were busy being hemmed in. Someone would finally get the puck and then just panic pass it to a mustard jersey, a couple when they even had time and space for better.

Oh well, long road trip. You can't win them all. On to the next one.

I just hope there is no first game home letdown. Maybe the Nashville loss will motivate them to prevent that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad