Post-Game Talk: Mustard Kittens 2 - Pooped Jets 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
You are correct it's his draft plus 7 year. For some reason I thought he played three full years in the AHL before making the jump but he just played two.
What difference does it make - 7 or 8, when there's an opportunity to take a swing at Stan in the PGT, on his return from missing 40 of the last 42 games due to injury. It's all class any way you look at it and one yr is not important when it was never the point - right?

Reactions: Channelcat

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
What difference does it make - 7 or 8, when there's an opportunity to take a swing at Stan in the PGT, on his return from missing 40 of the last 42 games due to injury. It's all class any way you look at it and one yr is not important when it was never the point - right?

I didn't take it as a swing, thought the person was legitimately correcting my error. I don't think that many are taking big swings at him but I do think it's fair to question just what we are likely to get out of this player and should other players like Snerg be prioritized over him. Also I didn't think he was terrible tonight , just rusty.

Last edited:
Reactions: Royale With Cheese

abax44

Jan 22, 2005
Meh. Jets didn't deserve to win that, it is what it is.

Bones needs to stop playing Wheeler when we need a goal, it's starting to become a trend with him benching Perfetti in the third.
He did a pretty decent job in helping prevent that empty net goal. Hauled more ass there than a lot of others guys would've.

Last edited:
Reactions: Adam da bomb

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I think those other guys have been "normal 4th liner" level but Saku has been unacceptably bad. He tanked the Lowry line everytime he played there. And now with up Kuhlman there (who isn't great mind you) on that line that Lowry line looks respectable again.

I don't think he is NHL caliber, Gagner, Harkins and I bet many guys on the Moose are better, but does Bowness know that? Even if the Jets trade for depth, will he take AJF/Gagner/Kuhlman out of the lineup before Saku?
Saku is a depth winger so i'm not expecting alot out of guys like that, he's not the reason we lost this game. How many goals did our top 6 score tonight? 1 , you aren't going to win many games when your top 6 get 1 goal.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I thought the Jets had a great start. That play Perfetti made validates his promotion to that line. The expression Dubois had from getting a tap in goal kind of summarized the effect a good passer can have at times.

Jets had a good jump in the 1st. I think the only Nashville chances came from Dillon and Pionk really not supporting each other well in the defensive zone, which is a continuation of some problems for that pairing.

I don't know if the icing that led to the 1st Preds goal was Pionk's fault for the pass, or AJF's for the reception, but it's funny how a game can turn on a dime with an opportunity that could have been an odd man rush, instead you start in your zone, lose a faceoff, and suddenly it's 1-1.

I think the fatigue set in the 2nd period, and it was a struggle. Jets had some chances in the 3rd but didn't capitalize, and again one mistake, a chance to clear on the boards that doesn't go out with an advantage on the puck, and that's the deficit you are trying to avoid in a road game. While they weren't terrible, a 4th line that gives up 2 goals in a game probably doesn't stick together for the next one.

I give Nashville some credit. I like their top 3 on defense, hard to believe they give up so many shots with those guys, because they can all play. Mc Donaugh had a strong defensive game. Even though he wears a putrid jersey, happy Cody Glass is getting some chances to prove himself. I'd say without a doubt the Preds won that trade, I don't know if Patrick or Myers are actually going to stick in the NHL, and Glass is turning into a top 6 forward after getting out of Vegas. Saros played a strong game to keep the Preds in when the momentum was going the Jets way. I don't know if the Preds are good enough to make the playoffs, but I think they have enough talent to compete with Minnesota the rest of the way.

For the Jets roster Wheeler looked bagged out there, I wonder if he has a nagging injury. Morrissey I hope is ok too. Jets are getting healthier but this is the time of year when everyone seems to have some kind of bump or bruise. Stanley made an impression in his first game back. I thought he had some strong shifts in both ends, I like his heads up awareness in the offensive zone, but the shift where he had to keep pivoting showed an area he can be exposed in.

I liked Kuhlman this game, and I wonder if he is feeling the pressure now. When Appleton comes back, Jets have to make a decision. Maybe they can grind out the IR to the trade deadline, but the competition at the bottom beyond Lowry and Barron seems wide open to me still, and probably the area where the biggest upgrade will come at the deadline.

Peachkings1922

Aug 13, 2022
Grimsby
Cole needs more PP time and if you need a goal and leave your playmaking, high IQ, young star on the bench is at least questionable. Maybe his 15 minutes of TOI was up.

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Stanley had a solid start then was mediocre, but bad Pionk resurfaced in a big way to be the worst D.

TDL can't come soon enough to help out the depth F's.

Last edited:
Reactions: Eyeseeing

SUX2BU

User of registers
Feb 6, 2018
Canada
The Mustard Kitties are celebrating by revealing more banners post-game...

View attachment 640958

While the Jets had quite a few crossbars and posts, they had no puck luck tonight. I give the game two cats shovelling out of five...

NQehTWJMVK6jfS_BXt63Rl-PyckeJdwQq6AcwnlaBCw.jpg
c38ba97e06a1c7fd33599b12d72a9801.jpg

The Prediction Contest for the game against the Buffalo Sabres has been posted and ready for your guesses. As a reminder, don't forget to sign up to create a GDT, there are plenty of games available, including the one on Thursday...

Thanks Paul …….

Reactions: macmaroon

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
Stanley had a solid start then was mediocre, but bad Pionk resurfaced in a big way to be the worst D.

TDL can't come soon enough to help out the depth F's.

Really could have benefited Stanley by sending him down on a conditioning stint. He's missed most of the season already, and takes time to get up to speed, such as it is with Stanley. Instead of having one chaotic pairing with Pionk, you had two. Samberg and Schmidt are steady in their minutes. Stanley threw a spanner into it.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Really could have benefited Stanley by sending him down on a conditioning stint. He's missed most of the season already, and takes time to get up to speed, such as it is with Stanley. Instead of having one chaotic pairing with Pionk, you had two. Samberg and Schmidt are steady in their minutes. Stanley threw a spanner into it.

I never even considered that angle, the player has to agree to it but that would have been beneficial to get him a couple full games to get back up to speed.

Reactions: RabidOne

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I think Stanley played to show other teams he can play. I like Samberg a little more because he's more agile and faster than Stanley if i had to choose.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
Didn't mind the start but I was telling my wife if we score 2 in the first this game is likely over. Saros was great and it was enough. The Preds are a shoot it from everywhere and crash the net as hard as possible type team very similar to the Flames in that respect.

The reffing was loose at best. You can likely make a lot of calls against the preds but the refs chose to even it out. Wheelers penalty was a penalty but that came after you could have made 3 calls right before it against the preds. A lot of the hits in the game by the preds where just out and out interference and I know the Jets were talking to the refs about it and Dubois got riled up because he was being held all night as well.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
I think Stanley played to show other teams he can play. I like Samberg a little more because he's more agile and faster than Stanley if i had to choose.
I see Samberg as the Dillion replacement. Stanley is the third pairing, keep it simple player. It is especially smart if they lose Pld and sell off vets to sell Dillion off in a season at TDL for a 1st.
So run
Mo. Demelo
Samberg Heinola
Stanley Pionk.

I think Wheeler could be a contributor at around 15 minutes a game. Really need someone else in that top 6 rw position.
Top 6 players with term or without term are darn expensive. Doesn’t mean they shouldn’t do it just a consideration when thinking they’ll just move Wheeler down this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad