Movies: Must see science fiction

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012
Sunshine was pretty good. I like Event Horizon in a similar vein.

my favorites,

The Matrix
Star Wars movies
Dune
Serenity (Firefly movie)
The Last Starfighter
Apollo 13

some good ones,

Close Encounters of the 3rd Kind
ET
Back to the Future
Sunshine
Event Horizon
Dark City
12 monkeys
The Abyss
Galaxy Quest
Men in Black (just the 1st one)
Minority Report
Total Recall

I watched Dune for the first time on the weekend, just to see what the story is kind of about. Interesting movie with some cool ideas put to the screen, but it was a complete mess as far as I'm concerned. I don't blame Lynch for that though, because it sounds like the studio interfered like crazy and the story seems impossible to adapt in 2-2.5 hours (hence why Villeneuve is doing it in 2 movies).

Reactions: Randy Butternubs

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
The Martian. This is a must see, every-time it is in TV. Book is also good.
Funny, I thought the story was cliched. In fact, it's the exact same story as another film that came out the same time: Everest. At least Everest was based on real events.

I get why the movie is popular -- the sci-fi aspect is really strong and it's a great premise. I've just seen the same survival against-all-odds thing too many times.

Reactions: JabbaJabba

saluki

Nov 18, 2017
I think The Martian is pretty good. Definitely worth a watch for almost anyone.

The only thing that bugged the crap out of me was how the psychology of the crew was handled. There was so much debate about how they would process the news of the situation. It felt shoehorned in for drama.

No person mentally unequipped would be allowed within 100 miles of a Mars mission. Psychological makeup would be the #1 requisite, above even the physical ones.

Staying away from the obvious recommendations: I liked Pitch Black.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I watched Dune for the first time on the weekend, just to see what the story is kind of about. Interesting movie with some cool ideas put to the screen, but it was a complete mess as far as I'm concerned. I don't blame Lynch for that though, because it sounds like the studio interfered like crazy and the story seems impossible to adapt in 2-2.5 hours (hence why Villeneuve is doing it in 2 movies).

i'm a big fan of David Lynch as I love Twin Peaks, most seem to hate Dune but I love it.

Reactions: Eisen

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012
I like Dune as well and I honestly don't see what is so bad about it. Everyone seems to hate it.

From my one recent viewing of it, the whole thing just felt like it moved too quickly. Paul all of a sudden has complete command of these powers that aren’t well explained and then trains a powerful army in a few minutes of screen time. The worms on Dune then go from a massive threat that can wipe everyone out, to a method of transportation for Paul and his army for no real conceivable reason. It’s just a lack of “showing your work” in the story, because they had to nail down what seem to be a billion plot points in 2 hours. Not well suited to being adapted to one movie.

And the Harkkonen lead guy with the floaty-suit was too silly for me to remotely take seriously.:laugh:

Reactions: NyQuil

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
From my one recent viewing of it, the whole thing just felt like it moved too quickly. Paul all of a sudden has complete command of these powers that aren’t well explained and then trains a powerful army in a few minutes of screen time. The worms on Dune then go from a massive threat that can wipe everyone out, to a method of transportation for Paul and his army for no real conceivable reason. It’s just a lack of “showing your work” in the story, because they had to nail down what seem to be a billion plot points in 2 hours. Not well suited to being adapted to one movie.

And the Harkkonen lead guy with the floaty-suit was too silly for me to remotely take seriously.:laugh:
That is true. It was cut a little short. But I always excepted that because the Fremen learned to live with Shai Hulud and Paul drank the Water of Life and became practically omniscient. But I do get the point.
But Harkonnen was ok and close to the book. Trick effects obviously have matured since then.

Last edited:

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
I'm glad I've seen a lot of these films but there are some, like Sunshine, that I have not seen. I still say Arrival was my favorite sci fi film of the last 10 years.

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
Pretty much everything The Expanse. As for something else.....

Currently it's not at the "Must see" stage, as there is no material to view (Unless you count Minecraft Machinima, which actually isn't half bad) , but I would HIGHLY suggest reading the Remembrance of Earth's Past trilogy (aka: The Three Body Problem Trilogy). It's considered by far the best science fiction ever to come out of the eastern part of the world. Easily up there with Roadside Picnic (aka: Stalker). It's an epic tail that I highly suggest you go into blind.

The Chinese film industry has been trying to get the thing into movie form for what seems like forever now. They did make a motion picture out of the first book back in 2015, but it's been indefinitely tabled as by all accounts the final product is a complete and utter clusterf***. The Chinese see the trilogy as their Tolkien/Star Wars, and are taking their time with it. There is an animated works in production as well, though it's hard to find news in English on it.

SPOILERS!!!!!!

(Concept trailer for animated work)

(Actual Trailer for animated work)

I think the Chinese are going to skip right past the first book as it contains a ton of criticism on the Chinese cultural revolution.

Last edited:
Reactions: Eisen

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
It's not "must see science fiction," but last year's Netflix movie I Am Mother was really good. I highly recommend it for people who like smart sci-fi.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Sunshine was great until the last 15 minutes or so of the film.

In no particular order (and avoiding franchises), some of my favorites:

Science Fiction:

1. Blade Runner
2. Blade Runner 2049
3. Moon
4. Ex Machina
5. Silent Running
6. Interstellar
7. Arrival
8. 2001: A Space Odyssey
9. Gattaca
10. Dark City
11. Annihilation
12. Brazil
13. Solaris
14. Snowpiercer
15. Contact

Action Science Fiction:

1. Dredd
2. Edge of Tomorrow
3. Total Recall
4. District 9

Near Future:

1. Inception
2. Children of Men
3. Her

Dark City. I'd completely forgotten that one. Great flick.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
So far as I can tell, all my favorite Science Fiction films have been mentioned. Both BR, A Scanner Darkly (such an underrated flick! Great book too.), 2001, Videodrome...

Reactions: NyQuil

saluki

Nov 18, 2017
Dark City. I'd completely forgotten that one. Great flick.

Anyone who hasn't seen it has to watch the right one. There are at least two versions.

One attempts, in sheerly catastrophic manner, to "explain" the plot of the movie before it even begins. I think it was done because the studio was afraid American audiences would be lost.

The other one, a brilliant must-see, begins in the bathroom without further explanation and trusts the viewer to enjoy watching the mystery unfold.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Anyone who hasn't seen it has to watch the right one. There are at least two versions.

One attempts, in sheerly catastrophic manner, to "explain" the plot of the movie before it even begins. I think it was done because the studio was afraid American audiences would be lost.

The other one, a brilliant must-see, begins in the bathroom without further explanation and trusts the viewer to enjoy watching the mystery unfold.

Looks like the director has made stricly crap since too.

Sentinel

May 26, 2009
New Jersey
www.vvinenglish.com
Agree on these:

3. Moon
4. Ex Machina
9. Gattaca
10. Dark City
12. Brazil
15. Contact
2. Edge of Tomorrow
3. Total Recall (the original, of course)
4. District 9

Indifferent on these:
1. Blade Runner
6. Interstellar
7. Arrival
8. 2001: A Space Odyssey
1. Inception

Strongly disagree on these:
2. Blade Runner 2049
11. Annihilation
13. Solaris
14. Snowpiercer
1. Dredd
2. Children of Men
3. Her

Sentinel

May 26, 2009
New Jersey
www.vvinenglish.com
Some additional items that have not been named that I love:

Wargames
Enemy Mine
Short Circuit
Flight of the Navigator
Lost in Space (I know many people hated it but I thought it was fine)
Men in Black (especially 1 and 3, but 2 was OK too)
Shape of Water
Amphibia Man (1961 Soviet film)
Gravity (stupid but very atmospheric)
Galaxy Quest
Minority Report
I, Robot (sure, it's no Azimov, but still pretty good even if very straightforward)

My favorites:

10. Men in Black trilogy
9. Time Masters (1982 French film)
8. Contact
7. Wargames
6. BttF trilogy
5. SW trilogy
4. Total Recall (original)
3. Ex Machina
2. Aliens
1. T2

Last edited:

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I like Dune as well and I honestly don't see what is so bad about it. Everyone seems to hate it.

I liked the casting, and the visuals and atmosphere of Dune were memorable, but the story deviates too far from the book to be palatable.

It is also difficult to follow if you haven't read the book.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad