OT: Music

I can't believe no one has mentioned the best band in the world for hockey songs.
The Zambonis always get me pumped up.
Drop That Puck
Lost My Teeth when I blocked that shot
Slapshot Man
Referee's Daughter (he's a jerk)
The Goalie is Drunk
I can go on and on...

I'm sure everyone has heard "I want to drive the Zamboni"
The Zambonis = Hockey Rock

http://thezambonis.com/

Haha! i remember hearing them a few years back playing on hockey day in canada i believe.

There is a punk/hardcore band call Two Man Advantage that all their songs are in the theme of hockey. The music isn't very good but it is kinda entertaining.

I am a big Operation Ivy fan but I love Rancid too.

How to clean everything is exceptional.

Chocking Victim and Leftover Crack had a few crossover members for certain.

So did Propagandhi and the Weakerthan's of course.

Great Music

I loved Op Ivy and Rancid when I was younger. Rancid fell off for me after ...And Out Come the Wolves. I did go see them play a few years ago though and that was cool. I think if Operation Ivy was ever to do a reunion, I'd do my best to make it wherever that was.

Another band I miss is Texas Is The Reason. They only put out one record but it is a great one.

I don't know if anyone like Far but they put out a new record recently but so far I just can't dig it.

The Replacements are a great band that I just got into a few years ago.

I saw Samiam play at Alex's Bar in Long Beach a few months ago.. that was a serious blast from the past.

Finally, about the only ska band I can tolerate these days that still plays is the Mighty Mighty Bosstones. I saw them in Buffalo over the summer and that was a great show.

A great hockey related lyric from a Propagandhi song:

I don`t want to catalyze or synthesize the second Final Solution.
I don`t want to be the Steve Smith of the Revolution.
Do you see the analogy? We`re the Oilers. The World Bank - the Flames!
And just 2 minutes remain in the 7th game of the best of 7 series!
Yeah, Jesus saves! Gretzky scores!
The workers slave. The rich get more.
One wrong move and we risk the cup. So play The Man, not the puck.

etherialone

dialed in your mom
Mar 6, 2008
The Ether
Sound hockey advice by prop, can we hire them to coach our D?

I would definitely rush out to see Op Ivy if the put the original band back together.

Fun bands. Good music

Texas has had some good bands. I knew the guys in the dead milkman for a little while to name just one.

I will have to check on "the far", haven't heard of them same with "the reason" thanks for the heads up.

I still have a soft spot in my head for the specials (early) ska is concerned.

Texas has had some good bands. I knew the guys in the dead milkman for a little while to name just one.

I will have to check on "the far", haven't heard of them same with "the reason" thanks for the heads up.

Both of them are I guess what you would call post-hardcore now. I think they were dubbed "emo" bands but what they consider "emo" today is a bit different. Now that I think about it, Far had a song on KROQ here in LA recently which is a cover of a hip hop song "Pony". It is awful in my opinion but their older stuff like "Tin Cans With Stings To You" and "Water & Solutions" are good records.

Let me know what you think of both Texas Is The Reason and Far if you get a chance to listen. BTW.. Texas is the reason is the from a Misfits song. Had the guitar player from Shelter in it and a guy from 108. Not sure if you are familiar with either of those bands.

Last edited:

fyrescorp

Apr 19, 2006
If you like Mumford, check out another London folk scene favorite of mine:

Johnny Flynn

Lovin the Flynn music, thanks! Perfect for a non game night, Guinness & whiskey evening.

Another group I've listened to alot is A3 or Alabama 3 depending on who you talk to. Their big hit was "Woke up this Morning" the theme song to The Sopranos.

On a final note, I think Clive Davis has had the best job ever. Discovering new bands and singers and getting paid for it! What a great job!

DIEHARD the King fan

Apr 6, 2008
blueline to slot
Sound hockey advice by prop, can we hire them to coach our D?

I would definitely rush out to see Op Ivy if the put the original band back together.

Fun bands. Good music

I still have a soft spot in my head for the specials (early) ska is concerned.

Madness. the Selector and the English Beat when Saxa was with them. Ah, the old Ska Club on Sunset in Silverlake (long before Silverlake was trendy) was the SKA place to be in LA in the late 70's and early 80's.

etherialone

dialed in your mom
Mar 6, 2008
The Ether
I remember those days well.

I saw Squeeze and the English Beat at Universal last year (I think it was summer) and without roger it wasn't close to the same. It was sort of a Beatlemania version of their music.

Squeeze sounded great but their set list was a romp through allot of their worst songs with some of the great's sprinkled in.

Silverlake had a coffeeshop that used to showcase local art of all sorts back when. I can't remember its name but it was cool. I haven't been there in years and years, when did it become trendy? How did it become trendy? It was cool and all but trendy? Just goes to show you.

DIEHARD the King fan

Apr 6, 2008
blueline to slot
I remember those days well.

I saw Squeeze and the English Beat at Universal last year (I think it was summer) and without roger it wasn't close to the same. It was sort of a Beatlemania version of their music.

Squeeze sounded great but their set list was a romp through allot of their worst songs with some of the great's sprinkled in.

Silverlake had a coffeeshop that used to showcase local art of all sorts back when. I can't remember its name but it was cool. I haven't been there in years and years, when did it become trendy? How did it become trendy? It was cool and all but trendy? Just goes to show you.

Jr and I have seen the English beat a bunch of times here in LA at the Canyon Club in Agoura. and I agree, without Ranking Rog and Saxa, its not the same, but sometimers you just have to settle.

Silverlake has become trendy in the last 10 years. Many young metro types live in the hills and have brought higher property values and trendy little stores, coffe shops and bistro's. Its still a fun area, but not edgy like it was back then, which gave it its real flavor.

I never saw Squeeze, who, prior to Oasis, had the corner on the Beatlesque sound. I am trying to see all the old music acts that tour that I can before they are truly done and gone. gt some good suggestions for new music out of this thread, some of which jr is downloading as we speak. I'll get them in a few days. he already sent me City of Catepillars. I will listen tonight.

etherialone

dialed in your mom
Mar 6, 2008
The Ether
Yes

As to City of Caterpillars I liken them to a looser less talented Bear vs Shark but still interesting and good at stringing interesting chord progressions with creative lyrical content. My first day listening to the band but I like them, they will get a solid listening to by me for sure.

If you get a chance to go see the Plimsouls around the greater L.A. area you really should. Its been awhile but they played a benefit or something like that and they were just so good.

Another L.A. band that should have been huge but had a terrible second record deal (a major label over produced thing) is The Last. Their first record on Bomp "L.A. Explosion" is an excellent time capsule of that late 79 early 80 anything goes sound.

The bass player of the band played with The Leaving Trains, a really good L.A. band and has played with David Grey (Babylon why why why why why why) of all people or so I had heard.

I saw Haircut 100 when they first came out and toured and while it wasn't my scene they were actually a really fun band to see. I hear that they are touring the U.K. again, if they make it over they might be fun to see in a small venue.

I saw Peter Murphy of Bauhaus play a double bill with Love and Rocket's last year (two years ago? my mind is so very slipping) and they got together and did a bunch of great music.

The Jesus an Mary Chain (with an obvious different line up) played the states awhile ago and brought that Manchester sound with them.

Rudementary Peni with axeman Blinko at the helm was one of those anarchist manifesto bands and I had heard they played again.

Daniel Johnston released an all acoustic record on his fan site but it has been removed. He is a wonderful troubled and challenging guy who has written some of the greatest songs of our generation.

Bad Brains are exceptional gifted punk/edge music or at least their very early stuff was. I liked them until I read their book and found out that they had some personal perspective's that I can't come close to getting behind. I am an open minded person no? But what these guys wrote made me pretty angry so there you go.

I liked their early music allot and still do, just not who they are if that matters.

So many bands so little time.

So many exceptionally gifted people players and so little time too.

etherialone

dialed in your mom
Mar 6, 2008
The Ether
Checkout this out, which a very cute gal I know recommended:

Ben Harper and the Relentless 7: "White lies for dark times."

I have and really like them. Good fun music and some sweet deep stuff too.

excellent call!

You and I are in the same position in another way, if it weren't for my son and daughter constantly bringing me new bands I would have fallen down awhile ago. As it sits we are all talking about bands that have been on my radar for awhile now and I have two full boxes of promo cd's to listen to and one Ipod shuffle that is about 15% full too.

One of the greatest benefit's of kids that I never would have guessed would happen.

DIEHARD the King fan

Apr 6, 2008
blueline to slot
Yes

If you get a chance to go see the Plimsouls around the greater L.A. area you really should. Its been awhile but they played a benefit or something like that and they were just so good.

So many bands so little time.

So many exceptionally gifted people players and so little time too.

Been there done that, in the early 80's (maybe 82 or 83) that is sketchy memory times (no comment -- you'll have to be on the PM approved list for details) Suffice it to say I was in college, but I saw them right about the same time as I saw the Motels who played in the Gym at CSUN (Cal state Northridge)

In precise memory terms, currently speaking, ïts not at zero hour, its a million miles away!

Omni Owl

No fun, only 1-3-1
Mar 9, 2008
There was a time when I would play City of Caterpillar for months straight on end, kinda burnt me out for awhile but I still listen now. Malady is more straight forward with less post-rock bits, so I guess they're more accessible in that aspect. The guitarist and bassist from CoC were in that band so the progressions are similar. There's alsooo Haram which kind of sound like Panthers/Hot Snakes, who stemmed from the whole Virginia scene. They're long gone but all the same guys collaborated with one another in various projects.

etherialone

dialed in your mom
Mar 6, 2008
The Ether
Thnks Lingo.

I will give Malady a listen. My son told me earlier that he has been trying to get me to listen to them for a long time but you know how it goes.

I became the same towards Bear vs Shark as you did towards CoC but am back listening again.

Mark Paffi the singer from BvS is in another band called "Bars of Gold" and I like them a ton. It is a different more mature sound but still equally just as loose and interesting.

I would recommend Bars of Gold pretty highly based on what you have listed, they really are a bang on solid band.

Cutty Sarkn3ss*

Just saw Joe Bonamassa in concert last month . . probably one of the best Blues concerts I'd ever seen.

drugold

drunk, goals&swagger
Jul 13, 2009
Brisbane,
so so so so so jealous that you got to see them live. since i've been loving you is one of my favorite zeppelin songs.

bright eyes is also amazing. have you ever seen the video of "lover i don't have to love"? that's how i got into bright eyes, and for some reason i love it.

Oh **** this song is awesome. Thankyou.

drugold

drunk, goals&swagger
Jul 13, 2009
Brisbane,
Anyone know of any bands with a similar sound to Death from Above 1979?
Listened to Muse - Blackholes and revelations on the way to work. Turned it off halfway through. Already said this but man I love that bright eyes song. For those that like Bright Eyes you should check out this little know Artist from Melbourne, Gotye. Heart breaking stuff.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnXFJOXvL_A

How do I inbed youtube videos?

Anyone like the Band? I watched the last Waltz on saturday night.

Cutty Sarkn3ss*

This my **** right here

nx5o9e.gif

GaryLivingston

My friend, Casey Crescenzo, aka The Dear Hunter is wonderful. He is insanely talented and making an amazing amount of music right now.

He just finished recording 9 EPs that will be released in June as a box set. Each EP is a different style of music.

If you want to check out some of it visit http://tdhcolors.com

Also, check out my other friends, Infantree. They are going to be on Conan tonight (Tuesday the 5th). They are really young guys making really old music. haha. They just got signed to Neil Young's record label.

http://www.youtube.com/user/infantreetv

Other than that, of bands that still tour, I've been listening to a lot of dredg, Protest the Hero, solar bears, minus the bear, jefferetitti, thrice, neverending white lights, and opeth.

GaryLivingston

Haha! i remember hearing them a few years back playing on hockey day in canada i believe.

There is a punk/hardcore band call Two Man Advantage that all their songs are in the theme of hockey. The music isn't very good but it is kinda entertaining.

I loved Op Ivy and Rancid when I was younger. Rancid fell off for me after ...And Out Come the Wolves. I did go see them play a few years ago though and that was cool. I think if Operation Ivy was ever to do a reunion, I'd do my best to make it wherever that was.

Another band I miss is Texas Is The Reason. They only put out one record but it is a great one.

I don't know if anyone like Far but they put out a new record recently but so far I just can't dig it.

The Replacements are a great band that I just got into a few years ago.

I saw Samiam play at Alex's Bar in Long Beach a few months ago.. that was a serious blast from the past.

Finally, about the only ska band I can tolerate these days that still plays is the Mighty Mighty Bosstones. I saw them in Buffalo over the summer and that was a great show.
I love Far! But, I agree...I don't really enjoy the new album either. I think the problem is so much time passed without any music from them that there is no transition piece going from Water and Solutions to the new one that I can't remember the name of. haha.

It is too happy and joyful sounding. When, the other two albums are dark yet hopeful.

It wasn't that i was expecting the same...but, it is just too different and there is little linking the newest to what they put out previously.

The live shows were AWESOME though. Maybe, it just needs more listens and time to digest. Every time I put it on I still expect something it isn't though. Aw well.

Water and Solutions is one of my favorite albums ever.

There are some photos of them on my site too if you get bored =P

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad