OT: Music

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
johnjm22- Living End are still quite a big local act here. They can fill a 20 000 seat venue quiet easy. I enjoyed their earlier stuff. Chris Cheney is a wicked guitarist who steals/borrows vibes from some crafty 80's bands like the clash etc. Yea he shreds.

That's good to hear. Those guys are super cool. I was with them while they were recording "Modern Artillery" over here in Burbank. Are Goldfinger and Silverchair still big out there?

etherialone

dialed in your mom
Mar 6, 2008
The Ether
I hadn't heard of CoC before so I looked them up for a listen and really liked what I heard. Sort of a dressed down less precise version of BvS but still really good. Thanks for up.

Rites of Spring I had heard of and they reminded me of an earlier version of Left Over Crack in some ways.
Comadre is a younger less developed version of all of them and listenable.

Pygmy Lush is good. They are in the experimental genre as well.

To me, BvS is a cut above the rest but we all have our favorites then don't we?

A young California Punk band that I saw and a little over a year ago that was exceptional was called New Direction. Good lead singer, nice guitar work and the song "A hymn to the grace" is a good punk anthem type of kick.

The band Final Fight out of El Segundo (Kings practice home) is another really good new era Punk band. David their singer is cut in the mold of Ian for you minor threat/fugazzi fans.

Nobody's hero's for old school stiff little fingers is a good old irish clash.

Then of course Propagandi to the weakerthans to my all time favorite (biased) the Mountain Goats for everything.

vh2k7

Oct 12, 2007
Las Vegas
Rites of Spring was one of the first "real" emo bands. Not the whiny stuff, but the way emotional hardcore was supposed to be played. Lots of passion & emotion & intensity. Not a lot of whining about crap. If you like that kind of music and don't think For Want Of is a great song, there's something wrong with you.

I'm also not really sure how you'd get a Leftover Crack vibe unless you are just comparing them as hardcore bands. Leftover Crack is skacore. It's also never as emotionally charged as Rites of Spring. I also just don't hear it lol. They're good, but I don't really get the comparison to Rites of Spring. I've actually always thought Leftover Crack and Against All Authority were two of the best bands in that genre, though.

Never listened to Pygmy Lush or Malady. Maybe I have something to do today after all.

DIEHARD the King fan

Apr 6, 2008
blueline to slot
Led Zep always gets play on my sound systems. This will make some of you feel very young but I saw them twice( '73 in Long Beach and '77 at the Forum (rescheduled from '76)) before many of you were born.

Heart rocks. Barracuda is a rock anthem, and the "Dog and Butterfly" album is one of those LP's (made of vinyl -- you'll need a real turntable) that plays both sides well.

Just downloaded the new Guster album, its a good listen and discovereed a group caled Beady Eye that I like --its headed up by one of the Gallagher brothers (Oasis).

TG: you mentioned Colin Hay. Been listening to some of his stuff as Jr. downloaded (free) all the music from the tv show "Scrubs" and they feature a fiar number of his songs. Been diggin' his acoustic version of "overkill."

My 3rd generation 60gb I-pod is almost full with about 7500 songs (and a few South park episodes) so obviously, I listen to lots of music.

There is SO MUCH music out there now I need another two days a week just to stay on top of it all.

Slightly off topic, but concert wise, I saw Clapton again at Universal a few weeks back, and it was a great show as always. I'm really looking forward to Jeff Beck this coming Friday at the Fox theater in Pomona. If Page is coming around anytime soon I'll recomplete the trifecta of Yardbirds guitarists. Jr. is getting a phenomonal musical education. (I figure its good motivation to keep him from sending me to a convalescent home in my old age.)

Propagandhi and Weakerthans are two of my favorites too, TG. The newest Propagandhi album is so good I can listen to it on repeat. I also love the 1st song off the newer Weakerthans album. I love listening to it while I'm on the bus.. haha!

Some of my favorites from the past 10 years are Cave In and Minus the Bear. I'm a huge fan of Dave Knudsen's guitar playing. I guess Cave In is playing again. they put out a new ep with harder sounding tunes and I like a few of the songs.

Another all time favorite is anything Walter Schreifel related. I love Quicksand and World's Fastest Car. Rival Schools is good too and they got back together which is awesome.

John Reis and Rick Fork are great (Rocket From The Crypt, Drive Like Jehu, Pitchfork, Hot Snakes, The Night Marchers and the list goes on).

I saw that J Mascis is playing at Alex's Bar in Long Beach in May. that should be killer. I love his guitar playing. Dinosaur Jr is a great band.

Slash is one of my favorite guitar players of all time. i love Guns N Roses. I don't care if Axl Rose is a nut job, which he is. He pretty much destroyed the Led Zeppelin of my generation. I know a lot of people don't agree with that but Guns N Roses were essentially the Led Zeppelin or the Who of people born in the early 80's / late 70's. Slash is the reason I picked up a guitar. His book was also a great read. I'm surprised he is still alive.

DIEHARD the King fan

Apr 6, 2008
blueline to slot
Propagandhi and Weakerthans are two of my favorites too, TG. The newest Propagandhi album is so good I can listen to it on repeat. I also love the 1st song off the newer Weakerthans album. I love listening to it while I'm on the bus.. haha!

Some of my favorites from the past 10 years are Cave In and Minus the Bear. I'm a huge fan of Dave Knudsen's guitar playing. I guess Cave In is playing again. they put out a new ep with harder sounding tunes and I like a few of the songs.

Another all time favorite is anything Walter Schreifel related. I love Quicksand and World's Fastest Car. Rival Schools is good too and they got back together which is awesome.

John Reis and Rick Fork are great (Rocket From The Crypt, Drive Like Jehu, Pitchfork, Hot Snakes, The Night Marchers and the list goes on).

I saw that J Mascis is playing at Alex's Bar in Long Beach in May. that should be killer. I love his guitar playing. Dinosaur Jr is a great band.

Slash is one of my favorite guitar players of all time. i love Guns N Roses. I don't care if Axl Rose is a nut job, which he is. He pretty much destroyed the Led Zeppelin of my generation. I know a lot of people don't agree with that but Guns N Roses were essentially the Led Zeppelin or the Who of people born in the early 80's / late 70's. Slash is the reason I picked up a guitar. His book was also a great read. I'm surprised he is still alive.

I liked early GNR, (who didnt) and Buddy, I think it was you who turned me on to Minus the Bear. I'll take a listen to the others you mentioned in your post.

P.S. One of my favorite "rev up songs" is Dinosaur Jr's "Feel the pain" from the pop of the cork all the way through.

Alternate Jersey

Jul 8, 2010
Bakersfield, CA
I liked early GNR, (who didnt) and Buddy, I think it was you who turned me on to Minus the Bear. I'll take a listen to the others you mentioned in your post.

P.S. One of my favorite "rev up songs" is Dinosaur Jr's "Feel the pain" from the pop of the cork all the way through.

minus the bear is awesome. and i hate you for having seen led zep (and yes it was before i was born :))

Alternate Jersey

Jul 8, 2010
Bakersfield, CA
Can't forget about Rob Crow.. Heavy Vegetable is awesome as is Pinback. He is one of those guitar players that has such a distinct style that you can tell it is him just from listening.

pinback played at my school for a festival once...their singer is insane, and VERY angry. lots of really vulgar statements and swearing. and i love swearing. :laugh: i do like their music though.

IPAFiend

Jan 19, 2009
West Covina
The Zambonis!!!

I can't believe no one has mentioned the best band in the world for hockey songs.
The Zambonis always get me pumped up.
Drop That Puck
Lost My Teeth when I blocked that shot
Slapshot Man
Referee's Daughter (he's a jerk)
The Goalie is Drunk
I can go on and on...

I'm sure everyone has heard "I want to drive the Zamboni"
The Zambonis = Hockey Rock

http://thezambonis.com/

Omni Owl

Mar 9, 2008
Good calls on Pinback/Hot Snakes/DLJ etc....The Plot to Blow Up the Eiffel Tower is another sick band from SD, ala Swing Kids and Antioch Arrrow. Check out Last.fm if yr looking for new tunes...

DIEHARD the King fan

Apr 6, 2008
blueline to slot
Good calls on Pinback/Hot Snakes/DLJ etc....The Plot to Blow Up the Eiffel Tower is another sick band from SD, ala Swing Kids and Antioch Arrrow. Check out Last.fm if yr looking for new tunes...

Speaking of sick bands from SD, (NOT South Dakota) whatever happened to Sprung Monkey? did they party/burn themselves out? I wouldn't be surprised to find that out.

drugold

drunk, goals&swagger
Jul 13, 2009
Brisbane,
Oh man. So many bands I havent heard of in the same setances as bands i love. Need time off! Or a laptop at work. I would love to see Eric Clapton or Led Zep live. The closest to rock god ive seen is Neil Young. Im pretty happy with that. Im normally to tight to pay 300 bucks to see one artist but it was at a festival so it was only 100. BARGAIN. Bob Dylan is playing the Byron Bay blues fest in july. 500 dollars for 5 days. Would love to see him perform.

Im also a big J Mascis fan. Just some of the most original sounding Grungey shred solos. They were booked to play a festival in brisbane last year but no one bought tickets to the festival and it went bankrupt. Seemed really dodgey and unprofessional. So the bassist Lou Barlow played a solo gig in the city but I didnt go. It was on a sunday night. Thats my J Mascis failure story. I have the Dinosaur Jr Green mind shirt. The one with the little kid smoking a dart. I like to wear it as I pick my daughter up from school.

etherialone

dialed in your mom
Mar 6, 2008
The Ether
Wow so many great bands.

If you ever see Colin Hay live check out his 8 and 12 string acoustics. They have a NorthStar's emblem with the N elongated and an X in the center. They are exceptionally well built and have a particularly precise sustain if I do say so myself.

Propagandi's last album is almost perfect and clearly the best that they have done as far as incorporating their specific sound into a string of songs that keep a record moving from start to stop. It is not unlike Terrorhawk from bvs in that way.

Not hearing the comp between Leftover Crack and Rites of Spring is totally understandable. We all hear different things and while I agree with your statement that RoS was one of the first emo not screamo whiney bands and that LoC is a different type of music, I hear allot of sim lyrical content in the manner that they approach their particular outlooks. I also hear sim tempo and beat's for what that is worth. Like I said we all hear different things. I have heard people say that RoS is allot like Weezer and I don't hear that at all so to each their own.

I have a youtube clip of me playing behind Jeff Beck (along with about 6 other studio guys) as he played "train kept a rollin". I was in the right place at the right time is all. JB is on the level of Hendrix imo and while Clapton is the best technical axeman that I have ever heard he isn't in my top 3 in as far people who have taken the instrument and made it their own. That is of the old school guys.

Not being a lead type I have a different and weird approach to the way that I judge other guitarists so take my opinion in music like everything else with a grain of salt.

DieHard we were both at the Forum when Led Zepplin played there it turns out. I think I was there the first night but I don't remember. I was very young but so obsessed with Page's ability at the time that I simply willed my way there. It was a great show but they way they played San Francisco as the lead into dazed and confused was amazing. You shook me baby had an incredible lead break and so did Since I've been loving you" at least the way I remember it.

I have spent the better part of the day listening to City of Caterpillar and really like them. I little at the drive in style with allot more edge but a good band, really like them.

Oh and if you want to hear acoustic guitar incredible music then download a few of the Mountain Goat's songs. I would recommend "Fall of the star highschool running back" "Pale Green Things" "No children" as three songs to start. There is a goldmine of excellent music in there from the very soft to fun to dark.

Bright eye's "I'm wide awake" has allot of good songs on it in my opinion.

Desaparecido's "Read Music Speak Spanish" is another exceptional edge cd that has a ton of hard songs on it that I like too.

Dinosaur Jr is such a great band with so many good songs.

Same with Husker Du.

Polaris had a couple of really good CD's and the lead singer (can't remember his name) has released a couple of exceptional cd's that is worth looking into. Polaris is the band playing at the beginning of the old Nic show "The Adventure's of Pete & Pete". That song they are playing "Hey Sandy" is about a guy who beat his girlfriend and a bit more. Good drifty melodic stuff.

The Jazz Butcher's lp on Beggar's Banquet was great (distressed gentleperson's I belive).

Too much good music to list at all and now thanks to you guys even more that I have to listen to, what a great problem and we have ton's of great music fans here at HF. I am blown away.

drugold

drunk, goals&swagger
Jul 13, 2009
Brisbane,
That's good to hear. Those guys are super cool. I was with them while they were recording "Modern Artillery" over here in Burbank. Are Goldfinger and Silverchair still big out there?

Ive always know goldfinger as being a one hit wonder and more of an undergound one hit wonder at that.
Silverchair is as big as the Living End hear. They had a huge change of dire3ction as the Singer songwriter Daniel Johns did his best Brian Wilson interpretation. Do you work at a studio? Are Wolfmother and Jet the only Australian acts that have made it into your market of late?

COUGH COUGH Tonnell!

Yea, Beck, Clapton Hendrix.
Where is the Australian respect?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYzajpeAWuA

double edit*
Should have been more like.
Tsk tsk Tonnel. Dont you know you have a biased nationlistic Australian in the midst.
Here is a link to my Australian shredder who I believe should be in the same breath as those englishmen you mentioned

Last edited:

fyrescorp

Apr 19, 2006
Just wanted to say "Thanks" to you guys for turning me on to some "new" bands I have never heard of. I'm always looking for some new stuff but most of the music out there is such crap. A friend turned me on to Flogging Molly, Mumford & Sons and the Young Dubliners. I'm an OLD rocker that saw The Rolling Stones at the Forum in 77 or 78 I don't remember which. I know it was the "Goats Head Soup" tour. The Forum was like one big opium den. Awesome.

Anyway, thanks again and :yo:

Alternate Jersey

Jul 8, 2010
Bakersfield, CA
Wow so many great bands.
DieHard we were both at the Forum when Led Zepplin played there it turns out. I think I was there the first night but I don't remember. I was very young but so obsessed with Page's ability at the time that I simply willed my way there. It was a great show but they way they played San Francisco as the lead into dazed and confused was amazing. You shook me baby had an incredible lead break and so did Since I've been loving you" at least the way I remember it.

so so so so so jealous that you got to see them live. since i've been loving you is one of my favorite zeppelin songs.

bright eyes is also amazing. have you ever seen the video of "lover i don't have to love"? that's how i got into bright eyes, and for some reason i love it.

agentfouser

Playoffs?!?!
Nov 30, 2003
Los Angeles
Rites of Spring was one of the first "real" emo bands. Not the whiny stuff, but the way emotional hardcore was supposed to be played. Lots of passion & emotion & intensity. Not a lot of whining about crap. If you like that kind of music and don't think For Want Of is a great song, there's something wrong with you.

I'm also not really sure how you'd get a Leftover Crack vibe unless you are just comparing them as hardcore bands. Leftover Crack is skacore. It's also never as emotionally charged as Rites of Spring. I also just don't hear it lol. They're good, but I don't really get the comparison to Rites of Spring. I've actually always thought Leftover Crack and Against All Authority were two of the best bands in that genre, though.

Never listened to Pygmy Lush or Malady. Maybe I have something to do today after all.
Does Leftover Crack have some of the members of Choking Victim?

And I used to love Propagandhi. "How to Clean Everything" is, in my view, one of the best newschool punk albums ever.

Any Operation Ivy fans out there?

agentfouser

Playoffs?!?!
Nov 30, 2003
Los Angeles
Just wanted to say "Thanks" to you guys for turning me on to some "new" bands I have never heard of. I'm always looking for some new stuff but most of the music out there is such crap. A friend turned me on to Flogging Molly, Mumford & Sons and the Young Dubliners. I'm an OLD rocker that saw The Rolling Stones at the Forum in 77 or 78 I don't remember which. I know it was the "Goats Head Soup" tour. The Forum was like one big opium den. Awesome.

Anyway, thanks again and :yo:
If you like Mumford, check out another London folk scene favorite of mine:

Johnny Flynn

etherialone

dialed in your mom
Mar 6, 2008
The Ether
Yes

I downloaded a bunch of Flynn a year and a half ago and love allot of his stuff too. Pretty solid all around musician and a great lyricist. I have him playing with Mumford and Son's (or at least one of the guys from that band) and its a good song. The Folk movement that went through London a few years ago bore a ton of fruit but it is reminiscent of allot of what was coming out of Cork and Dublin a few years earlier.

I like it all for the road.

etherialone

dialed in your mom
Mar 6, 2008
The Ether
Does Leftover Crack have some of the members of Choking Victim?

And I used to love Propagandhi. "How to Clean Everything" is, in my view, one of the best newschool punk albums ever.

Any Operation Ivy fans out there?

I am a big Operation Ivy fan but I love Rancid too.

How to clean everything is exceptional.

Chocking Victim and Leftover Crack had a few crossover members for certain.

So did Propagandhi and the Weakerthan's of course.

Great Music

IPAFiend

Jan 19, 2009
West Covina
Tonellisghost
Leftover Crack and the Jazz Butcher in the same post. Wow
Distressed Gentlefolk by the JBC and Medioce Generica from LOC are two of my favorite albums.
Rock on!

etherialone

dialed in your mom
Mar 6, 2008
The Ether
Ive always know goldfinger as being a one hit wonder and more of an undergound one hit wonder at that.
Silverchair is as big as the Living End hear. They had a huge change of dire3ction as the Singer songwriter Daniel Johns did his best Brian Wilson interpretation. Do you work at a studio? Are Wolfmother and Jet the only Australian acts that have made it into your market of late?

COUGH COUGH Tonnell!

Yea, Beck, Clapton Hendrix.
Where is the Australian respect?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYzajpeAWuA

double edit*
Should have been more like.
Tsk tsk Tonnel. Dont you know you have a biased nationlistic Australian in the midst.
Here is a link to my Australian shredder who I believe should be in the same breath as those englishmen you mentioned

Tommy is easily among the greatest no matter where he came from and you are right about being overlooked. One of the coolest nicest guy's in the world tooHe was only omitted because in North America he isn't as well known as the other 3 and I was trying to make a point but Tommy is right there for certain. (there are a couple of other Auzzie's who get overlooked all too often too).

etherialone

dialed in your mom
Mar 6, 2008
The Ether
Tonellisghost
Leftover Crack and the Jazz Butcher in the same post. Wow
Distressed Gentlefolk by the JBC and Medioce Generica from LOC are two of my favorite albums.
Rock on!

Cool!

I still play too much falling in love whenever I play out and people always ask me when I wrote it.

I have fun telling them it is a Jazz Butcher song and getting more people to go look them up.

LOC imo simply says this is our world and if you want to listen to how we view it then do and if you don't then give us some money. I like them for their honest and truthful anarchist approach and view's and can't wait to hear what they think as they get a little older.

etherialone

dialed in your mom
Mar 6, 2008
The Ether
so so so so so jealous that you got to see them live. since i've been loving you is one of my favorite zeppelin songs.

bright eyes is also amazing. have you ever seen the video of "lover i don't have to love"? that's how i got into bright eyes, and for some reason i love it.

Thank you so much for that tip. I hadn't ever even heard of that clip and wow, just wow what a great thing. Oberst has so much talent and so much left to say. I like following his music, always something interesting if not exceptional and sometimes amazing too.

Led Zepplin released in the U.K. a really rare early sample record of them playing a few different blue's songs and on it is one of the greatest cover's of "since I've been loving you" of all time. I have been looking around for it and haven't come close yet so if you see it buy it or download it, you won't be disappointed.

Wow, still impressed with lover I don't have to love, so cool!!!

By the way, what are you doing here? Unless your positing that you finished up you shouldn't be here
:p:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->