My fave American band .

check them out

country-ish at times but they really kick live

Great rockin band

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
So I'm 34 and have already stopped seeking out new music. I assume many people around my age have reached this point in their lives, but it's weird since I used to be all about that. I just don't have the time or patience anymore.

That said, looking for suggestions of new music (to me, doesn't actually have to be new) to listen to. Some bands I like off the top of my head:

- The Get Up Kids (and all of their side-projects)
- The National
- The Weatkerthans
- Motion City Soundtrack
- Jimmy Eat World
- Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers
- Eric Clapton
- The Gaslight Anthem
- Stars

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
So I'm 34 and have already stopped seeking out new music. I assume many people around my age have reached this point in their lives, but it's weird since I used to be all about that. I just don't have the time or patience anymore.

That said, looking for suggestions of new music (to me, doesn't actually have to be new) to listen to. Some bands I like off the top of my head:

- The National
- The Weatkerthans
- Motion City Soundtrack
- Jimmy Eat World
- Eric Clapton
- The Gaslight Anthem
- Stars

The War on Drugs. They're like a moodier, shoegaze-y Gaslight Anthem (lots of Petty influence in there as well). As for bouncy emo pop a la Get Up Kids and Jimmy Eat World, I'd recommend the Promise Ring. Those are rather well known bands in their respective scenes so you might already know them but in case you don't, have fun.

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
The War on Drugs. They're like a moodier, shoegaze-y Gaslight Anthem (lots of Petty influence in there as well). As for bouncy emo pop a la Get Up Kids and Jimmy Eat World, I'd recommend the Promise Ring. Those are rather well known bands in their respective scenes so you might already know them but in case you don't, have fun.

I know both of these bands and I can't say I'm a huge fan. Or at least I wasn't years ago when I listened to them. Maybe I'll give them another shot once I have some quiet time at work.

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
I know both of these bands and I can't say I'm a huge fan. Or at least I wasn't years ago when I listened to them. Maybe I'll give them another shot once I have some quiet time at work.

Shame, thought they seemed perfectly suited for you considering that list of bands but you never know I guess lol. Also, a band I tend to suggest to anyone liking the National is this newer, a bit under the radar Aussie band called Gang of Youths.

Reactions: Le Tricolore

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
Shame, thought they seemed perfectly suited for you considering that list of bands but you never know I guess lol. Also, a band I tend to suggest to anyone liking the National is this newer, a bit under the radar Aussie band called Gang of Youths.

I actually do like The Promise Ring. I think I was confusing them with some other mid to late 90s emo band.

I'll check out Gang of Youths now. Thanks!

Edit: Okay, first song into Go Farther In Lightness, and this is great. Sort of reminds me of... someone? Maybe the Hold Steady in a way? Either way, thanks for the suggestion!

Last edited:
Reactions: Eagle Peninsula

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island

- The National
- The Weatkerthans
- Motion City Soundtrack
- Jimmy Eat World
- Eric Clapton
- The Gaslight Anthem
- Stars
I only know 2 names on that list, I bet you know which ones. :laugh:

I've never stopped looking for new music, being a musician, I'm curious to hear new things, but it's a lot harder to find something good with so much cookie cutter crap out there. I check out the entertainment board daily, there's a couple of, well more like dozens of music related threads most with videos so you can quickly decide if you likey or not. Themed songs, Last album played, What are you listening too, just to name a few. I've found a lot of new stuff there, both recent and older.

Reactions: Le Tricolore

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010

- The National
- The Weatkerthans
- Motion City Soundtrack
- Jimmy Eat World
- Eric Clapton
- The Gaslight Anthem
- Stars

I am soon-to-be 34 and I also stopped seeking out new music, well kinda. The only new stuff that I listen to often comes from CHOM. I enjoy watching the old stuff that I have more than anything new, usually. Anyhow, I don't know if my selections will please you but I listen to some of the bands you've listed (the National and Stars mostly)

- The Black Keys' early stuff. Look for the Rubber Factory album with songs like Stack Shot Billy. It has some garage/rock/blues sound that's so far away from their current compositions.

- The Sheepdogs, it's probably my favorite Canadian band right now
- Black Pistol Fire, a bit in the same mood as the Black Keys
- Cage the Elephant, I fell in love with the band when I saw them live with the Black Keys like 7 years ago. Their singer has so much energy on stage. I like most of their stuff but I haven't listened to their last album yet
- Shawn Phillips' Second Contribution album. It's probably my favorite album of all time (up there with the Dark Side of the Moon). It's soothing. Mind you, that album came out in 1970

- Woodkid. His Golden Age album is probably the album I've listened to the most in the last 6 years. I can't get enough of it.

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
I am soon-to-be 34 and I also stopped seeking out new music, well kinda. The only new stuff that I listen to often comes from CHOM. I enjoy watching the old stuff that I have more than anything new, usually. Anyhow, I don't know if my selections will please you but I listen to some of the bands you've listed (the National and Stars mostly)

- The Black Keys' early stuff. Look for the Rubber Factory album with songs like Stack Shot Billy. It has some garage/rock/blues sound that's so far away from their current compositions.

- The Sheepdogs, it's probably my favorite Canadian band right now
- Black Pistol Fire, a bit in the same mood as the Black Keys
- Cage the Elephant, I fell in love with the band when I saw them live with the Black Keys like 7 years ago. Their singer has so much energy on stage. I like most of their stuff but I haven't listened to their last album yet
- Shawn Phillips' Second Contribution album. It's probably my favorite album of all time (up there with the Dark Side of the Moon). It's soothing. Mind you, that album came out in 1970

- Woodkid. His Golden Age album is probably the album I've listened to the most in the last 6 years. I can't get enough of it.

Awesome. I'll listen to this stuff at work tomorrow.

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City

This is one of my favorite songs. Reminds me of my dad. I still remember finding the vinyl cover and thinking how bad ass this guy looked on the front.

I used to get put to bed as a kid with this album playing softly in the background.

Reactions: ArtPeur

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Saw her on The Daily Show and loved her. This cut has a retro feel to it that I liked:

Something to be said about her personality and how she's an advocate for a positive self-image, as she mentioned to Trevor Noah yesterday.

Reactions: muzion

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Lizzo also plays the flute and knows her music theory, which is unusual for someone who is in the rap scene.

She was initially reticent about being seen playing the flute as it wouldn't jive with her musical style.

But now, she's embraced it and has even taken to making parodies. Here's her version of Ron Burgundy's flute scene:

Best part is what she says when she sticks her head in a bathroom stall and in the scene immediately following it. See it at 1:44. I split a gut. :laugh:

By way of context, here is the Ron Burgundy scene that inspired her parody:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
This is one of my favorite songs. Reminds me of my dad. I still remember finding the vinyl cover and thinking how bad ass this guy looked on the front.

I used to get put to bed as a kid with this album playing softly in the background.

From the same album, I used to like Fanfare for the Common Man, a version of which ELP recorded at the Olympic Stadium:

Got sick of it eventually as it became overplayed in several commercials.

I liked Lucky Man as well but found it too mood-altering and melancholic so I kind of avoided it.

By far, my favorite remains Peter Gunn (it too was overplayed, it was theme song for a TV show of the same name). Here it is, also from the Big O:

My favorite moment, is the intro.

The presenter's British accent is so appropriate and dramatic.

If you cue it at 0:43, you'll hear: Ladies and gentlemen ... Emerson ... Lake ... and Palmer!

And the drummer steps right in with a clean shot on the snare drum. So authoritative the way he does it, his timing is perfect. As are the other instruments coming in right after. Powerful.

As an aside, I owned a drum set which had a similar number of pieces as Carl Palmer's, including an elongated bass drum. Those were some pretty special days.

Reactions: ArtPeur

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Came here to post this:

Currently listening.

I've heard several cuts from NPR's "Tiny Desk" series.

It's within the context of an online competition where applicants create a song specifically for Tiny Desk Concerts. I don't know how Weezer became involved with it, they may have just been non-contest invitees.

A basic requirement for entrants is the following quirk:

To enter, an Entrant must submit a short video under ten (10) minutes in length, depicting that Entrant’s performance of a single, original song at a desk (any desk!)

Speaking of Weezer, liked their recent cover of the Tears for Fears classic, Everybody Wants to Rule the World, which they recently performed on Kimmel together with 2 of the original members of Tears for Fears:

And at Coachella last week:

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec
Was curious, as usual I checked them out. Not bad.

I'm glad you like :)

Here are a couple of my favourites from Caravane.

Chien noir being my #1

Two years ago, I was visiting a high school friend in Carleton-Sur-Mer in Gaspésie. He suggested we go to their local micro-brewery that night as there was a band in town. He didn't know the name and I was ecstatic when I learned it actually was Caravane. Now, I'm not an experienced show-attender, but they were as great live as they were on their albums.

Another random find. This time instrumental uplifting music. I love this kind of melodramatic sound.

Tom Day - Who We Want To Be

Last edited:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I only know 2 names on that list, I bet you know which ones. :laugh:

I've never stopped looking for new music, being a musician, I'm curious to hear new things, but it's a lot harder to find something good with so much cookie cutter crap out there. I check out the entertainment board daily, there's a couple of, well more like dozens of music related threads most with videos so you can quickly decide if you likey or not. Themed songs, Last album played, What are you listening too, just to name a few. I've found a lot of new stuff there, both recent and older.

I don't know if you've ever mentioned what instrument you play and whether you have a band. Although, it's really none of our business. :D

I know LShap practises and gigs with a band. W3K is a drummer. I'm looking to buy a drum set in the next year and play again. I have professional musicians in my family who want to jam and record with me, so there is added incentive.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

- The National
- The Weatkerthans
- Motion City Soundtrack
- Jimmy Eat World
- Eric Clapton
- The Gaslight Anthem
- Stars

I should have paid greater attention to this post. For some reason, I missed it.

You're way too young to have your tastes in music plateau like that. For me, it's been a lifelong quest, I never cease to be amazed by new sounds, new artists, brilliant lyrics, that one riff that puts a smile on my face or that drum beat that I can't get over, I need to listen to it again.

I know tastes evolve as do our love for certain art forms. I still love everything I used to love in my teen years -- recorded music, live bands in small clubs, at PdA or as part of a festival (JazzFest), any band that has a drummer and the guy has chops and electric instruments are involved, books, movies, TV shows and a coffee. Occasionally, modern paintings, broadway shows.

From the acts you list, would like to know your favorite songs, so we could get an idea of what connects with you.

For instance, always loved this from Jimmy Eat World:

And this classic from Tom Petty:

Have you looked into the Foo Fighters? They've got a ton of great cuts. There are several other acts I could suggest but musical tastes are personal. If you're willing to discover, there is so much great material out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad