OT: Music Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Did someone say 80's?

Hair Metal? LA Guns, Tesla, Cinderella, Crue, Extreme....

Hall and Oates (Private Eyes), Steve Miller Band (Abracadabra), Culture Club (Karma Chameleon), ya know, anything with that classic 80's sound. :laugh:

Not a big hair metal guy and I'm really confused as to why some people love it so much. There are definitely some good tunes in there, but overall, it's meh.

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
Their biggest problem was that 'Brandy' didn't sound anything like the music the group actually wanted to make. They were trying to be a rock and roll band. "Brandy" was a B-side to an album with their rock and roll music and one DJ heard it and made it his mission to get it played. Then folks went to their concerts expecting more "Brandy" which they didn't get. I think the lead singer Lurie has actually produced a lot of the music for hit movies now. His voice is still magic, shame he never got to use it much...

Yes that can be the kiss of death, not being taken seriously because of one pop hit.... best case of the turnaround is Ministry they put out a very pop techno album to please their label and then launched a wrath of industrial music on the following albums and won a fan base

Looking Glass will always be known for Brandy, the Stories were a solid band and always will be known for Brother louie

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
Martha also said it was about Wasaga Beach (the world's longest freshwater beach). Mark Gane, who wrote it, said it was about an ideal, rather than a particular one, but he wrote the song while working in a wallpaper factory, and thinking about evenings spent at Sunnyside.

None of which really matters - it's a good song.

It sure is a great song, the saxophone on it works, and deadpan delivery of some lyrics sell it well

Reactions: notDatsyuk

Poliz24

Jun 25, 2012
LI
Yup, absolutely. Back on LI I felt the same way, BAB abused certain artists and songs.

I found a similar station here in Charlotte and they do a little better job of variety.

I cannot stand that egomaniac sports pope and the only reason to listen is to hear how horribly wrong his takes are and how evident it is that he doesn't actually watch games outside of the Yankees anymore.

If you have twitter follow @Backaftathis it clips of his show and how his takes are becoming more and more off the charts.
The best part about hockey (when he rarely talks about it) is "if ya have a hawt goalie, you'll go fawh in da playawhfs"

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
Judging by music, I might be one of the younger guys here at a backbreaking 30 years old.

My shitty music list coming soon.

Reactions: PK Cronin

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
If you have twitter follow @Backaftathis it clips of his show and how his takes are becoming more and more off the charts.

One of the best Twitter accounts out there. The guy who runs it works all day and then aggregates the funniest / best clips of the day and posts at night.

Reminds me of some posters / mods around here - shoutout to them! :yo:

beach

Aug 17, 2005
here
Yes that can be the kiss of death, not being taken seriously because of one pop hit.... best case of the turnaround is Ministry they put out a very pop techno album to please their label and then launched a wrath of industrial music on the following albums and won a fan base

Looking Glass will always be known for Brandy, the Stories were a solid band and always will be known for Brother louie
Although I love With Sympathy!!

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
Hall and Oates (Private Eyes), Steve Miller Band (Abracadabra), Culture Club (Karma Chameleon), ya know, anything with that classic 80's sound. :laugh:

Not a big hair metal guy and I'm really confused as to why some people love it so much. There are definitely some good tunes in there, but overall, it's meh.

Those of us who enjoy Boy George are in no position to mock Hair Metal. :)

All good -- 80's glam is just silly -- a fun distraction -- 5 chords, some distortion and scantily clad, big haired chicks. Nothing wrong with any of that!

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Those of us who enjoy Boy George are in no position to mock Hair Metal. :)

All good -- 80's glam is just silly -- a fun distraction -- 5 chords, some distortion and scantily clad, big haired chicks. Nothing wrong with any of that!

Speaking of silly and distracting, you ever listen to Steel Panther?

beach

Aug 17, 2005
here
I like it better than their other stuff too, but they clearly duped the record label... With Sympathy has I Wanted to Tell Her, Revenge, Work for Love... almost every song got WLIR airplay
Yes! It got lots of airplay on WLIR and at Spit, Reds, Spize, OBI.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
I dig the first few Iron Maiden records (Killers is actually one of my favorite albums), but then the discography starts to become overbearing and annoying.

Stuff on rotation this week:
Aussitot Mort - Discographie
Dangers - The Bend in the Break
Caravels - Floorboards
Like Wolves - Like Wolves
The Fiction - LP33
Git Some - Loose Control
Fourth Rotor - Plain
Tarpit - Vultures
Saetia - Collected
American Hate - Our Love Is Real
Undertones - Undertones + Peel Sessions
Bikini Kill - ***** Whipped
Braidedveins - Braidedveins
Life In Vacuum - 5
Peter Brotzmann Octet - Machine Gun
Red Monkey - Make The Moment
Giraffes? Giraffes! - Memory Lame
Kill The Man Who Questions - Sugar Industry
Sugar - Beaster
Pg. 99 - Everything
Suns - The Engine Room
Aw man... I was under the impression that you actually listened to good music. Oh well.

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012

Just dug out my parachute pants and Members Only jacket from 1984. Not sure my arms would even fit in the legs of the pants.
Please please don't forget Flock of Seagulls.

Reactions: PK Cronin

Richie Daggers Crime

Boosted 9 times double masked they/them
Mar 8, 2004
Boise
Aw man... I was under the impression that you actually listened to good music. Oh well.
7sRv4yKl.png

Also, the last Mannequin p***y record.

Last edited:

crasherino

May 9, 2013
Great Dead tribute band at Mulcahys tomorrow night.
Which one?

I grew up on the Zen Tricksters at New York Ave and the Right Track Inn. Its nice to see Jeff and Rob with DSO and occasionally with Phil over the years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad