OT: Music Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Listen to just about everything, going all the way back to the 11th century.

Today I listened to the Fireball album (Deep Purple), a bit of new country, some 60's Motown (including Ray Charles doing "Take These Chains From My Heart", by Hank Williams), and The Gravel Project (picked up their CD in Vermont a couple of years ago).

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
I have about 1000 songs in my playlist on Tidal that I use on the stairclimber

So New music

Matt Maeson - Cringe
MO - Blur
Lauren Daigle - Look UP Child
Elevation Worship - Resurrecting
Francesca Battistelli - Breakup Song
Listen to Sirius - 28, 36, 63 for my new music for the most part

My top 30 favorite songs of all time

Spirit in the Night - Bruce Springsteen - This one never gets old, just a song about youth frozen in time
Sweet Child of Mine - Guns N Roses - the many changes in this song make it never grow old
3That's Entertainment - The Jam - this is the most underrated band of all time, lyrically masterful
I Wanna Be Adored - Stone Roses - This band got a mystique based on this song, it really is shoe gazing at it's best
5Doo Wop - Lauryn Hill - Best hip hop song ever, one of the best songs to work out to
6Would - Alice in Chains - A song that's energy is at a high level - and just ends
The Day I Tried to Live - Soundgarden - intense song, too bad it was really what was going on in his mind
8Happy Hour - Housemartins - best pop song, always puts a super smile on one's face
9Perfect Skin - Lloyd Cole - cheekbones like geometry and eyes like sin, she is sexually maligned by Cosmopolitan, yeah a lyrical wonder song
10S Central Rain - REM - not the easiest song to interpret but yearns of early roots
11Kinky Afro - Happy Mondays - the rave party era, this song has the best beginning, Son.... I'm thirty... I was only with your mother coz she was dirty.
12How Soon is Now - Smiths - the most innovative song, and one that cements them in the annuls of history.
13Blue Spark - x - great band and to me the song that defines their punk feel
14Oldest Story in the World - Plimpsouls - this song is very overlooked, made popular by Valley Girl movie.
15This is the Day - The The - only one musician on the song, it holds up better than ever
16Slit Skirts - Pete Townsend - a song in the 80's that captures middle age better than no other
Waterloo Sunset - Kinks - A song that is a postcard for the 1960's
Angie - Rolling Stones - used to be my #1, but has suddenly not aged well
19Dog Days Are Over - Florence & the Machine - another great work out song, this is a group that sill holds promise to music
20Brandy - Looking Glass - just takes me back to childhood
21Cosmic Dancer - T Rex - underrated band and their best song
22Teenage Kicks - Undertones - well it brought one sided sex to a level that Billy Idol did not
23Love Burns - Black Rebel Motorcycle Club - the buildup in this song is crazy, when it launches into the drums
24Swinging Party - Replacements - almost everything they did was great, but this has a lament to it
25What Jail is like - Afghan Whigs - another group that just did not get the attention, a painful soulful song
Points of View - Squeeze - they have a lot of songs like this one, but lyrically great
27Jesus Etc - Wilco - this one never grows old, love the lyrics on it
Crazy - Gnarls Barkley - everything syncs well in this song, vocals, Dangermouse etc.
29Echo Beach - Martha & the Muffins - 80's staple oddly about a beach in Bali
Hello Stranger - Barbara Lewis - early pop song that finally got it's attention because of Moonlight
[COLGROUP][COL][/COL] [COL][/COL] [/COLGROUP]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

beach

Aug 17, 2005
here
Hillsong United I like it, Squeeze is one of my top 5 favorite bands of all time, but Hillsong has put out a few great songs of late... Not Today stands out
Squeeze top five for me too. I'm actually flying to D.C. in late June to see Hillsong at The Anthem theater.

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A

So New music

Matt Maeson - Cringe
MO - Blur

1Spirit in the Night - Bruce Springsteen - This one never gets old, just a song about youth frozen in time
2Sweet Child of Mine - Guns N Roses - the many changes in this song make it never grow old
3That's Entertainment - The Jam - this is the most underrated band of all time, lyrically masterful
4I Wanna Be Adored - Stone Roses - This band got a mystique based on this song, it really is shoe gazing at it's best
5Doo Wop - Lauryn Hill - Best hip hop song ever, one of the best songs to work out to
6Would - Alice in Chains - A song that's energy is at a high level - and just ends
7The Day I Tried to Live - Soundgarden - intense song, too bad it was really what was going on in his mind
8Happy Hour - Housemartins - best pop song, always puts a super smile on one's face
9Perfect Skin - Lloyd Cole - cheekbones like geometry and eyes like sin, she is sexually maligned by Cosmopolitan, yeah a lyrical wonder song
10S Central Rain - REM - not the easiest song to interpret but yearns of early roots
11Kinky Afro - Happy Mondays - the rave party era, this song has the best beginning, Son.... I'm thirty... I was only with your mother coz she was dirty.
12How Soon is Now - Smiths - the most innovative song, and one that cements them in the annuls of history.
14Oldest Story in the World - Plimpsouls - this song is very overlooked, made popular by Valley Girl movie.
15This is the Day - The The - only one musician on the song, it holds up better than ever
16Slit Skirts - Pete Townsend - a song in the 80's that captures middle age better than no other
17Waterloo Sunset - Kinks - A song that is a postcard for the 1960's
18Angie - Rolling Stones - used to be my #1, but has suddenly not aged well
19Dog Days Are Over - Florence & the Machine - another great work out song, this is a group that sill holds promise to music
22Teenage Kicks - Undertones - well it brought one sided sex to a level that Billy Idol did not
23Love Burns - Black Rebel Motorcycle Club - the buildup in this song is crazy, when it launches into the drums
24Swinging Party - Replacements - almost everything they did was great, but this has a lament to it
25What Jail is like - Afghan Whigs - another group that just did not get the attention, a painful soulful song
26Points of View - Squeeze - they have a lot of songs like this one, but lyrically great
28Crazy - Gnarls Barkley - everything syncs well in this song, vocals, Dangermouse etc.
30Hello Stranger - Barbara Lewis - early pop song that finally got it's attention because of Moonlight
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
You should meet Gary Dell'Abattee

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018

So New music

Matt Maeson - Cringe
MO - Blur

1Spirit in the Night - Bruce Springsteen - This one never gets old, just a song about youth frozen in time
2Sweet Child of Mine - Guns N Roses - the many changes in this song make it never grow old
4I Wanna Be Adored - Stone Roses - This band got a mystique based on this song, it really is shoe gazing at it's best
7The Day I Tried to Live - Soundgarden - intense song, too bad it was really what was going on in his mind
26Points of View - Squeeze - they have a lot of songs like this one, but lyrically great
28Crazy - Gnarls Barkley - everything syncs well in this song, vocals, Dangermouse etc.
30Hello Stranger - Barbara Lewis - early pop song that finally got it's attention because of Moonlight
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Echo Beach about Bali? Never heard that one. It's by a Toronto band, about wishing you were somewhere else, based on Sunnyside Beach in Toronto.

13th Floor

Oct 10, 2008
I dig the first few Iron Maiden records (Killers is actually one of my favorite albums), but then the discography starts to become overbearing and annoying.

Stuff on rotation this week:
Aussitot Mort - Discographie
Dangers - The Bend in the Break
Caravels - Floorboards
Like Wolves - Like Wolves
The Fiction - LP33
Git Some - Loose Control
Fourth Rotor - Plain
Tarpit - Vultures
Saetia - Collected
American Hate - Our Love Is Real
Undertones - Undertones + Peel Sessions
Bikini Kill - ***** Whipped
Braidedveins - Braidedveins
Life In Vacuum - 5
Peter Brotzmann Octet - Machine Gun
Red Monkey - Make The Moment
Giraffes? Giraffes! - Memory Lame
Kill The Man Who Questions - Sugar Industry
Sugar - Beaster
Pg. 99 - Everything
Suns - The Engine Room

I listened to metal growing up (among other things) and then got into other music and drifted away from it. Iron Maiden is a band to come back to. As I get older and move away from really feeling like music identifies some part of me and instead approaching it with an open mind, I've really started to cling to amazing musicians and people. For those that don't know about Bruce Dickinson, not only is there Iron Maiden, but he has explored a ton of different styles of rock and metal, is a commercial airline pilot, an international fencer, an author of movie scripts and novels, hosts documentaries, a beer brewer, and more. It really creates some reference to approach the sophistication of his music.

As mentioned above, I've started to approach so many types of music that I initially hated. Bluegrass probably being the top of that list right now.

One recommendation I have is for people to check out NPR's Tiny Desk Concert on YouTube. You can definitely find a band you like but you can also click on something random and approach it with an open mind. It's definitely introduced some new things to me that I never thought I'd like.

Reactions: SteveH124

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com

So New music

Matt Maeson - Cringe
MO - Blur

[TBODY] [/TBODY]

#20 is just epic. I still can't believe those guys couldn't make more music. It's one of the biggest travesties!

Reactions: beach

NewYorkIsles

Jun 30, 2012
Nassau County
Bob Dylan, The Strokes, New Order, M83, Wu-Tang, Kendrick Lamar,Big Thief, Nickel Creek, Josh Ritter, Father John Misty, Bowie, The Middle East, The Civil Wars.. to name a few

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
Echo Beach about Bali? Never heard that one. It's by a Toronto band, about wishing you were somewhere else, based on Sunnyside Beach in Toronto.

Yes Martha did reveal it was about a beach in Bali that seemed like it was not of this world.... Sunnyside Beach would not be songworthy for sure

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Looking Glass out of New Jersey had one other hit Jimmy Loves Marianne, guess they were in that era of one/two hit wonders

Their biggest problem was that 'Brandy' didn't sound anything like the music the group actually wanted to make. They were trying to be a rock and roll band. "Brandy" was a B-side to an album with their rock and roll music and one DJ heard it and made it his mission to get it played. Then folks went to their concerts expecting more "Brandy" which they didn't get. I think the lead singer Lurie has actually produced a lot of the music for hit movies now. His voice is still magic, shame he never got to use it much...

Poliz24

Jun 25, 2012
LI
Grew up on WBAB and Jimmy Buffett. Into to Country now, but only those who still write their own songs.

Feel like alot of this thread includes songs you would hear on WBAB and Q104.3
While that music is good, it is tiresome listening to the same songs driving home from work.
The Shark 94.3 is a real good station.
Of course Aftanoon Drivah with da Radio Pope Francesah is da Bestah.
Listening to him after he came back from "retiring" is great hearing his takes on things.

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
Feel like alot of this thread includes songs you would hear on WBAB and Q104.3
While that music is good, it is tiresome listening to the same songs driving home from work.
The Shark 94.3 is a real good station.
Of course Aftanoon Drivah with da Radio Pope Francesah is da Bestah.
Listening to him after he came back from "retiring" is great hearing his takes on things.

Yup, absolutely. Back on LI I felt the same way, BAB abused certain artists and songs.

I found a similar station here in Charlotte and they do a little better job of variety.

I cannot stand that egomaniac sports pope and the only reason to listen is to hear how horribly wrong his takes are and how evident it is that he doesn't actually watch games outside of the Yankees anymore.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
I am partial to Jazz, Classical, and Rock.

We have a lot of overlap in taste. Wagner is the only thing I find objectionable. (Replace with Dvorak.)

I have to alter the music I'm listening to in order to "please" my kids while still trying to get them to listen to music that goes beyond the pop they hear at school. So, there's a decent amount of negotiation there, the result being that they end up loving poppier stuff on the punk spectrum. As a result, we end up listening to a lot of Gen X, The Replacements, Iggy Pop, Joan Jett, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, The Cure, The Clash, etc.

I get my son psyched up to play lacrosse with Link Ray.

I think the only band that we do much listening to that we could just go see a concert of no problem is Parquet Courts, and that makes me feel sad and pathetic.

My personal weirdness is that although I'm not a fluent Spanish speaker (not close), I love rock en espanol, especially Cafe Tacuba, Los Prisoneros, and Aterciopelados.

beach

Aug 17, 2005
here
Yup, absolutely. Back on LI I felt the same way, BAB abused certain artists and songs.

I found a similar station here in Charlotte and they do a little better job of variety.

I cannot stand that egomaniac sports pope and the only reason to listen is to hear how horribly wrong his takes are and how evident it is that he doesn't actually watch games outside of the Yankees anymore.
I live in Raleigh and they actually play Francesa takes on local sports radio and then crack up in laughter.

Reactions: Mr Misunderstood

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Outside of classics, Interpol, Aesop Rock, Best Coast, Black Thought, Brett Detar, Dark Time Sunshine, Leonard Cohen, The National, Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds, Nick Waterhouse, Spoon, Shakey Graves, Timber Timbre...

I don't like a lot of mainstream pop from the last 15-20 years. Some older pop music is fine with me and my guilty pleasure is 80's pop.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Yes Martha did reveal it was about a beach in Bali that seemed like it was not of this world.... Sunnyside Beach would not be songworthy for sure
Martha also said it was about Wasaga Beach (the world's longest freshwater beach). Mark Gane, who wrote it, said it was about an ideal, rather than a particular one, but he wrote the song while working in a wallpaper factory, and thinking about evenings spent at Sunnyside.

None of which really matters - it's a good song.

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A

Terrestrial radio is unlistenable -- Id rather listen to road, tire and engine noise than Crazy Train for the 103rd time (WBAB and 94.3 Im looking right at you)

Outside of classics, Interpol, Aesop Rock, Best Coast, Black Thought, Brett Detar, Dark Time Sunshine, Leonard Cohen, The National, Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds, Nick Waterhouse, Spoon, Shakey Graves, Timber Timbre...

I don't like a lot of mainstream pop from the last 15-20 years. Some older pop music is fine with me and my guilty pleasure is 80's pop.

Did someone say 80's?

Hair Metal? LA Guns, Tesla, Cinderella, Crue, Extreme....

Reactions: Mr Misunderstood
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad