OT: Music III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009

I had this tape. I remember them being on saturday night live (back when it was still funny on a semi regular basis, I preferred to watch In Living Colour and MadTV ). Sadly the rest of the album was meh (open letter was good), great single though. Vernon is a good guitarist IMO.

I have a number of bands that I remember from when my dad fist got his CD player.
One of them was Sixty Watt Shaman. I had one chance to see them in Detroit with BLS, but it was a trainwreck of a concert that they didn't even make it to :( I heard this song on Brave Words Bloody Knuckles CD that came when you bought the news magazine.

More recently I have found I like 1000 Mods for stoner groove rock.

Last edited:

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
Also like The sword(older stuff, the last album was meh) Graveyard (older stuff, went too soft)

And I will throw a flashback to Marky Ramone before he was punk. Great band Dust

Reactions: angusyoung

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
bit of humour?

bd6a99dd4be97098e89a13dbf2b922de.jpg

Loved Elvira when I was a kid. You would never recognize her without her wig and makeup. She is in her 60's (I think) and still looks great. She lead me down my bad movie path to Mystery Science Theater 3000, RiffTrax and The Mads(Trace and Frank) for riffing on bad movies.

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
I had this tape. I remember them being on saturday night live (back when it was still funny on a semi regular basis, I preferred to watch In Living Colour and MadTV ). Sadly the rest of the album was meh (open letter was good), great single though. Vernon is a good guitarist IMO.

I have a number of bands that I remember from when my dad fist got his CD player.
One of them was Sixty Watt Shaman. I had one chance to see them in Detroit with BLS, but it was a trainwreck of a concert that they didn't even make it to :( I heard this song on Brave Words Bloody Knuckles CD that came when you bought the news magazine.

More recently I have found I like 1000 Mods for stoner groove rock.

That 1000 mods was cool,and Greek to boot!will have to play it for my Greek buds when we go cruising in the bat-mobile.

Reactions: Doc McKenna

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
Another hair melodic metal band that I liked that never really hit it big but talented nonetheless.

I like a lot of hair metal but with 100 new bands a year it's amazing it didn't collapse sooner.

I have about 1000 original cd's, a small fortune as HMV would sell their metal section at 24.99 or higher. Meanwhile Mariah carey for 9.99. Music. Ca was really a God send for getting obscure albums.

Going to date myself, but Myspace allowed me to find a ton of bands I wouldn't have know about "if you like this page here is a related page".

You tube is how I found a whole bunch more. Esp early 70s garage and lesser known rock. Sir lord baltimore, dust, captain beyond, cactus, 13th floor elevators, frijid pink, lucifiers friend, UFO, humble pie, small faces uriah heap etc

I was into a bunch of symphonic metal that I kinda scratch my head as to why I listened to it so much. Luca turilli, rhapsody, symphony x, night wish.

Big fan of blind guardian and hoped Peter Jackson was going to use them in LOTR. They are huge Tolkien fans.
The bard song is pretty epic and there is walken open air fest in Germany showing how huge they are over there, along with helloween and gamma ray.

Anyway still finding new bands here and there.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
I like a lot of hair metal but with 100 new bands a year it's amazing it didn't collapse sooner.

I have about 1000 original cd's, a small fortune as HMV would sell their metal section at 24.99 or higher. Meanwhile Mariah carey for 9.99. Music. Ca was really a God send for getting obscure albums.

Going to date myself, but Myspace allowed me to find a ton of bands I wouldn't have know about "if you like this page here is a related page".

You tube is how I found a whole bunch more. Esp early 70s garage and lesser known rock. Sir lord baltimore, dust, captain beyond, cactus, 13th floor elevators, frijid pink, lucifiers friend, UFO, humble pie, small faces uriah heap etc

I was into a bunch of symphonic metal that I kinda scratch my head as to why I listened to it so much. Luca turilli, rhapsody, symphony x, night wish.

Big fan of blind guardian and hoped Peter Jackson was going to use them in LOTR. They are huge Tolkien fans.
The bard song is pretty epic and there is walken open air fest in Germany showing how huge they are over there, along with helloween and gamma ray.

Anyway still finding new bands here and there.
Cool man, I don't know if you have ever given Savatage a listen? They were a favorite of mine back in the day, they were founded by brothers Jon and Chris Oliva in the 80's they originated out of Tampa Florida, just an outstanding band, Hall of the mountain king is rip your guts out progressive metal, they definitely were influenced by Priest and Maiden and they mix in some orchestral stuff as well. One of the founding brother duo(Chris, lead guitarist) was killed in a car accident just as the band was about to break out, such a tragedy, a brilliant metal player. The band went through a ton of lineup changes after his death and some of the remaining members went on to form Trans Siberian Orchestra which has been very successful. Give them a listen if you haven't already.

I love Youtube as well for the same reason that you do, I no longer have any of my old music collection of tapes/cd's but Youtube allows me to enjoy so much of the stuff that I loved in my youth.

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
Cool man, I don't know if you have ever given Savatage a listen? They were a favorite of mine back in the day, they were founded by brothers Jon and Chris Oliva in the 80's they originated out of Tampa Florida, just an outstanding band, Hall of the mountain king is rip your guts out progressive metal, they definitely were influenced by Priest and Maiden and they mix in some orchestral stuff as well. One of the founding brother duo(Chris, lead guitarist) was killed in a car accident just as the band was about to break out, such a tragedy, a brilliant metal player. The band went through a ton of lineup changes after his death and some of the remaining members went on to form Trans Siberian Orchestra which has been very successful. Give them a listen if you haven't already.

I love Youtube as well for the same reason that you do, I no longer have any of my old music collection of tapes/cd's but Youtube allows me to enjoy so much of the stuff that I loved in my youth.

Yeah I have at least 2 of their albums. My buddy was a huge savatage fan. When we heard they were coming to Detroit we booked tickets to see them.

We had box seats at the Detroit opera house. Got dressed up with our dates and crossed the border. Beautiful place to hear them, despite the building having seen better days. I would rank it as one of my favourite experiences. It wasn't really a concert. It's more like a musical. It was very intimate back then. I think they were doing the beethoven tour, 20 years ago or so. Not huge venues. Really enjoyed the entire production.

One of the reasons I was interested, I was a huge Testament fan. Alex skolnick had quit and went jazz, and I was happy to see him play some rock again, Christmas flavoured or otherwise.

I remember going to the bar and asking for a rye and coke... I got the blankest of stares. It's not like detroiters don't know what it is. Our bars at the time were overwhelmed with drunken underaged michiganders and Ohio.. Ian's? every weekend, Esp with 2 years less legal liquor laws. Think hull/Ottawa but much much worse. Anyway I corrected myself to say Jack and coke, and got served a substandard version of what I expected. But I got a semi interesting story out of it.

Bourbon and rye taste vastly different Imo. I have had crown, cc, Gibson's, wisers and my favourite 40 Creek and they all taste similar and good. Alberta premium is pure rye and has a much harsher finish, and more distinct or stronger flavour. Jack danials is way worse Imo. It's like a 1 year rye with zero blending. Not my thing. Strange thing is when I was looking up best rye the 3 lists that first came up on Google had zero Canadian ryes and included wild turkey as a top rated rye. Lol sorry gooogle lists that is wrong. I have tried a few US ones as well, they still don't taste like crown or c. C.

Little known fact is both hirem walker and seagrams have rye distilaries down in the Windsor area. Walkers is a major employer and does more bottling for other brands than cc. It now has a stupid sign saying "home of j. P. Wisers" yeah if you forget the first 150 years it was Canadian club before pinot Richard bought it.

Anyway, TSO is well worth going to see and has former metal members in it :)

Last edited:

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
Yeah I have thought about just chucking the entire collection in the garbage. A lot of them have been on too many camping trips, and cars don't even have cd players anymore. My parents have a large collection of 45s and even 78s, plus they have record players that can play them. I have never seen a 16 though.

I figured I would give the gift of music to my kids... Lol no kids till almost 40 and my step kids and grandson don't really like rock, blues. Classical, or even big band. (ssssh I won't mention the disco lurking hidden away). They like hip hop, dance, country, pop and numetal... Uggh.

My grandson says he likes pop (I hate his mother) and does this stupid floss dance all the time. So I show him some Beatles and some Michael Jackson and Prince... "It's awful pepe. That isn't pop it boring and terrible " I felt like Homer, "why I oughta" while strangling him.

That is pop, not my music but pop. But at least there is something more to it than auto tune vocals and a backbeat or slide guitar and yodelling about your dog skeeter and your pickup truck.

No offence to other music lovers, but even I can appreciate other good artists from genres I don't care for, my grandson can't. His mom makes him listen to just 2 channels of radio quality music. Oh look my 8 year old grandson is singing WAP, can't wait to pick him up from the principals office on our days to have him.

I broke this into two posts as it was too large.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
bd6a99dd4be97098e89a13dbf2b922de.jpg

Loved Elvira when I was a kid. You would never recognize her without her wig and makeup. She is in her 60's (I think) and still looks great. She lead me down my bad movie path to Mystery Science Theater 3000, RiffTrax and The Mads(Trace and Frank) for riffing on bad movies.
I remember her being a guess commentator at a wrestlemania in the mid-80's, plus her movie a bit later, which was kinda bad but still pretty fun. Always had a bit of a thing for her as well :laugh: Oddly enough I was actually more familiar with Vampira for a long time, even though she was WAY before my time.

Last edited:

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Yeah I have at least 2 of their albums. My buddy was a huge savatage fan. When we heard they were coming to Detroit we booked tickets to see them.

We had box seats at the Detroit opera house. Got dressed up with our dates and crossed the border. Beautiful place to hear them, despite the building having seen better days. I would rank it as one of my favourite experiences. It wasn't really a concert. It's more like a musical. It was very intimate back then. I think they were doing the beethoven tour, 20 years ago or so. Not huge venues. Really enjoyed the entire production.

One of the reasons I was interested, I was a huge Testament fan. Alex skolnick had quit and went jazz, and I was happy to see him play some rock again, Christmas flavoured or otherwise.

I can't drink Jack Daniels either, are we the same person? LOL.

Edit: I can't drink Jack Daniels either lol, are we the same person?

I remember going to the bar and asking for a rye and coke... I got the blankest of stares. It's not like detroiters don't know what it is. Our bars at the time were overwhelmed with drunken underaged michiganders and Ohio.. Ian's? every weekend, Esp with 2 years less legal liquor laws. Think hull/Ottawa but much much worse. Anyway I corrected myself to say Jack and coke, and got served a substandard version of what I expected. But I got a semi interesting story out of it.

Bourbon and rye taste vastly different Imo. I have had crown, cc, Gibson's, wisers and my favourite 40 Creek and they all taste similar and good. Alberta premium is pure rye and has a much harsher finish, and more distinct or stronger flavour. Jack danials is way worse Imo. It's like a 1 year rye with zero blending. Not my thing. Strange thing is when I was looking up best rye the 3 lists that first came up on Google had zero Canadian ryes and included wild turkey as a top rated rye. Lol sorry gooogle lists that is wrong. I have tried a few US ones as well, they still don't taste like crown or c. C.

Little known fact is both hirem walker and seagrams have rye distilaries down in the Windsor area. Walkers is a major employer and does more bottling for other brands than cc. It now has a stupid sign saying "home of j. P. Wisers" yeah if you forget the first 150 years it was Canadian club before pinot Richard bought it.

Anyway, TSO is well worth going to see and has former metal members in it :)
I have consumed several bottles of this myself, I knew I liked you for a reason lol. I used to drink Gibsons Sterling back in the day, I enjoyed that one just a little too much lol. I can't walk away in the same manner today, lol, age won't allow it. Cheers my friend.

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
I have consumed several bottles of this myself, I knew I liked you for a reason lol. I used to drink Gibsons Sterling back in the day, I enjoyed that one just a little too much lol. I can't walk away in the same manner today, lol, age won't allow it. Cheers my friend.
If you like coffee, there is a small distillery that opened up about 30 KM from my house. I pass it on my way to my daughters for whatever chores she needs done that her finacee isn't capable of doing...so all of them :eek: Its called Wolfhead. Their coffee liqueur is nice on ice. They also make some other stuff, but that one is my favourite. 30% and very smooth. Bought some to french river to visit the inlaws and her cousins sold out the noelville LCBO. My brother in law had me try it at his house. Its dangerous because it goes down way to easy.
Home | Wolfhead Distillery

I have yet to try their rye or caramel apple.
wolfhead-coffee-whisky.jpg

Oh here is another band to stay on topic. Runner told me he remembers these guys. He actually knows the bassist.

Demon Wolf

Feb 22, 2013
Bruce Springsteen - Letter To You dropped today!

Had a first listen to the album this morning, walking to work in a soft autumn rain and wow, it really is a terrific record.

Bruce & the E Street Band, recorded live in the studio with very few overdubs. The sound is exceptional (crank it up!) and there are some truly magnificent songs on this record.

It's inspiring how Bruce at 71 can channel the voice of his younger self for the three songs that were written in 1972, and they fit seemlessly on a record that is very much about the relentless passing of time.

Don't miss it!

Fixxer

Jul 28, 2016

Just so you know, I was a bit too muich vocal and so, I'm not able to "like" anyone stuff for some time...

Reactions: angusyoung
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad