OT: Music II

Status
Not open for further replies.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
I've been listening to lots of Warren Haynes and Gov't Mule the past few months. They have some great original tunes but some of their covers are fantastic. Warren Haynes is a great musician.

Here's the Mule covering Black Sabbath's "War Pigs" with former Metallica bassist Jason Newsted.

Cover of ZZ Top's "Just Got Paid" from the Mule's early days.

Here's one more. :) Covering Skynyrd's "Simple Man" with Audley Freed on guitar. I like this version better than the original Skynyrd version.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
Polka Floyd Comfortably Numb. These guys are on fire.

That was pretty damn good and much better than what I was expecting. :) Thanks for posting.

There's also a group called Celtic Pink Floyd which does some great Floyd covers with a Celtic twist. Here's their version of Comfortably Numb which I've listened to many times. That flute just sounds awesome.

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
I've been listening to lots of Warren Haynes and Gov't Mule the past few months. They have some great original tunes but some of their covers are fantastic. Warren Haynes is a great musician.

Here's the Mule covering Black Sabbath's "War Pigs" with former Metallica bassist Jason Newsted.

Cover of ZZ Top's "Just Got Paid" from the Mule's early days.

Here's one more. :) Covering Skynyrd's "Simple Man" with Audley Freed on guitar. I like this version better than the original Skynyrd version.

I agree, he is good, nice to hear those fat riffs.

Reactions: angusyoung

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
That was pretty damn good and much better than what I was expecting. :) Thanks for posting.

There's also a group called Celtic Pink Floyd which does some great Floyd covers with a Celtic twist. Here's their version of Comfortably Numb which I've listened to many times. That flute just sounds awesome.

Good songs can be played in different styles yet sound great.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
I agree, he is good, nice to hear those fat riffs.

Yes he's a very talented musician for sure. I've been listening to a lot of him lately and especially his tunes with Derek Trucks playing with him from their Allman Brothers days.

Good songs can be played in different styles yet sound great.

I agree. I love listening to covers when talented musicians play them in their particular musical style.

Hope all is well on your end during these difficult times.

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
Yes he's a very talented musician for sure. I've been listening to a lot of him lately and especially his tunes with Derek Trucks playing with him from their Allman Brothers days.

I agree. I love listening to covers when talented musicians play them in their particular musical style.

Hope all is well on your end during these difficult times.

I have 2 Moody Blues called Moody Blues Bluegrass and Moody Blues Bluegrass Two made by some of the best Nashville musicians like Vince Gill, Ricky Skaggs and Alison Krauss

I am fine so far thank you and tomorrow I will hopefully get TP (ordered it on the 29th) and flour, there seem to be plenty of eggs, meat and produce in stores (I got 4 pounds of Sumo mandarins yesterday).

I trust you are alright. Stay safe!

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
Meanwhile, some of the best guitar rock in decades is coming out of the Sahara Desert.

Very rare that good foreign rock bands get attention here in NA. John Butler Trio are nobodies here meanwhile they're huge pretty much anywhere else. A damn shame because he's easily the best guitarist I've ever heard.

PavelBrendl

Jul 9, 2013
Very rare that good foreign rock bands get attention here in NA. John Butler Trio are nobodies here meanwhile they're huge pretty much anywhere else. A damn shame because he's easily the best guitarist I've ever heard.

With most foreign music, I'd chalk it up to language, considering North Americans are, in general, famously unilingual to and almost arrogant degree. I mean, I know people who don't even like watching foreign films with subtitles. But why English language acts just don't catch on here is beyond me. I guess it's just our love of the lowest common denominator.

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
With most foreign music, I'd chalk it up to language, considering North Americans are, in general, famously unilingual to and almost arrogant degree. I mean, I know people who don't even like watching foreign films with subtitles. But why English language acts just don't catch on here is beyond me. I guess it's just our love of the lowest common denominator.
The US record labels have so much leverage and are able to flood the mainstream in most countries around the world. Even canadian bands like Rush, I Mother Earth and Tragically Hip had a hard time breaking into the US so you can imagine how hard it would be for Australian acts to make it. At least it's getting slightly better now with Youtube but you still need to know where to look.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad