OT: Music II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
Used to know that one but having to retune guitars for one song drives me nuts. Great song though.

yeah, it’s a pain in a$$ to retune. The same happened to me with Iris (goo goo dolls) a while back. Learned it. Forgot it. That might have been 4 strings to tune.

Reactions: DangerDave

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
Nice. Here's half of my collection. PRS semi hollow, Simon and Patrick 12 string, Seagull Artist folk (amazing), and a Godin bass out back.

Nice. I used to have a great little guitar that was made in Canada and given the name of it maybe even made in Quebec? Larrivee, it was as expensive as a good Martin but I fell in love when I tried it out (I had a Martin D35 already). Then when I moved to the US I asked a friend to store it for me (brought the Martin with me) and he put it in his attic! Very hot in the summer and then Swedish winters. There was no way of saving that guitar.

Reactions: DangerDave

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
yeah, it’s a pain in a$$ to retune. The same happened to me with Iris (goo goo dolls) a while back. Learned it. Forgot it. That might have been 4 strings to tune.
That's a great song but yeah I've done that for countless songs now so I avoid it. Spent like 2 weeks learning still awake by Tobias Rauscher and now I can't remember it for that very reason.

Nice. I used to have a great little guitar that was made in Canada and given the name of it maybe even made in Quebec? Larrivee, it was as expensive as a good Martin but I fell in love when I tried it out (I had a Martin D35 already). Then when I moved to the US I asked a friend to store it for me (brought the Martin with me) and he put it in his attic! Very hot in the summer and then Swedish winters. There was no way of saving that guitar.

Larrivee are really nice. It's a real shame you couldn't salvage it. I came very close to getting one but opted for the seagull instead as I couldn't justify the price difference and I like the wider nut on the gull.

Kinda want to learn the banjo now but I just spent a bunch on photo gear. This virus is costing me a fortune lol.

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
Larivee guitars originated in Quebec, then relocated to Victoria BC. I played on 3 different ones, all amazing and loud.

Want to try a funky tuning? Try open C. CGCGCE Great bassy sound and ideal for playing. "In my time of dying".

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
Larivee guitars originated in Quebec, then relocated to Victoria BC. I played on 3 different ones, all amazing and loud.

Want to try a funky tuning? Try open C. CGCGCE Great bassy sound and ideal for playing. "In my time of dying".
That's the tuning I use on my 12 since standard puts a ton of stress on the neck and they tend to warp if you leave em there. John Butler always uses that and just capos to get to open D or E. Love the open tunings

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
Do that many people really drop tune guitars or is it a cheat when someone can’t transcribe with the basic chords?

Just when I grew up playing in the 80s it didn’t really seem to be a thing now every 3rd song I look at they have the tuning changed. I’m a big fan of the Foos acoustic Everlong and seems to need it but just curious as I don’t play 1/10th of what I used to

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
Do that many people really drop tune guitars or is it a cheat when someone can’t transcribe with the basic chords?

Just when I grew up playing in the 80s it didn’t really seem to be a thing now every 3rd song I look at they have the tuning changed. I’m a big fan of the Foos acoustic Everlong and seems to need it but just curious as I don’t play 1/10th of what I used to

It's very common by guitarists, Jimmy Page borrowed the DADGAD tuning from Bert Jansch for Black Mountain Side which was a theft of a trad arr song and Jansch was pretty p*ssed off.
It gives you a much better sound because the bass string (normally E6) gives it a fuller sound and Richard Thompson use it when he plays electric as well:

Reactions: Spearmint Rhino

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
Does anyone here remember a heavy metal video show that was on early 80s? Pretty sure it was out of Detroit as Ted Nugent used to guest host. Was a few years before Much Music came out with the Power Hour and back then about the only way to see the videos of Dio, Priest, Scorpions etc... Tried googling but nada, maybe dreamed it...

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
Does anyone here remember a heavy metal video show that was on early 80s? Pretty sure it was out of Detroit as Ted Nugent used to guest host. Was a few years before Much Music came out with the Power Hour and back then about the only way to see the videos of Dio, Priest, Scorpions etc... Tried googling but nada, maybe dreamed it...
Heavy Metal Mania - Wikipedia

Closest I could find. Looking at Nugent on IMDB I don't see any fit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad