Murray's past 1st round draft history....

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
This was bumped for stempniaksen but I suppose it is relevant as well.

Looking strictly at Murrays past history, Crouse is right in Murray's wheelhouse as he checks off each and every box.

An OHL forward with 6'2+ height, as well as has tons of pims. Not saying I think we should take Crouse ( I don't, I think he will bust), but he is the exact type of player Murray looks at.

Crouse seems like a pick Murray would make if he was drafting 15th or lower. He seems to aim for high-skill forwards in the top 10 (Kadri, Strome).

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
Didn't Crouse wear a cage at the wjc?

Pass. We don't need any more soft players we already have Pageau

:dunno:
Tangent, but I don't know how you can call Pageau soft... plays like he's one of the biggest guys on the team. If he could score with more consistency (ie against anyone other than the Habs), he'd be like Theo Fleury-lite.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
:dunno:
Tangent, but I don't know how you can call Pageau soft... plays like he's one of the biggest guys on the team. If he could score with more consistency (ie against anyone other than the Habs), he'd be like Theo Fleury-lite.

I may be wrong, but Lenny is known for his sarcastic posting.

I took it as a joke

StittsvilleJames

Apr 17, 2012
Ottawa
I'm almost scared to post in this thread just because whatever I say will likely look foolish when this is bumped again in 2017 (I'm looking at you Brian Lee defenders)...

BigBush*

Pageau isn't soft, not many of Ottawas forwards are, its just that we're lacking that intimidating, hard forechecking, bruising forward.
A Chris Neil that can handle more minutes, what Greening is suppose to be.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Pageau isn't soft, not many of Ottawas forwards are, its just that we're lacking that intimidating, hard forechecking, bruising forward.
A Chris Neil that can handle more minutes, what Greening is suppose to be.

My view of soft Ottawa Forwards: 5/12.

Condra
Turris
Michalek
Hoffman
Legwand

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
kyperious said an interesting thing on the radio today. He said that what makes a powerforward is someones who's big and plays without fear. Fear of looking dumb, being hurt or being injured.

Pageau plays without fear as does Lazar

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
lol Kypper trying to recast himself as a retired 'power forward' is he?

He said he played scared some times. He said only about ten percent of players he played with were fearless.

Thought it was funny that he was trying to bring up his 60 goal junior season or his 25 goal ahl season and the older guy(maclean or something) kept saying shut up and i bet you actually thought you were good after that season lol

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
he's borderline. He will go to the net and dirty areas but hes not an abrasive player.

He is absolutely abrasive, which is why he is the guy most likely to get under the other team's skin.

I just think so many of you have made up your mind on him and don't watch the guy play anymore.

He is always hitting, jabbing, poking, in the scrums, crashing the net, pressing on the boards.

Love me some Milan to be honest, I like the way he plays.

EDIT: he's not Neil, but Neil is also the anti-soft on the spectrum...

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
He is absolutely abrasive, which is why he is the guy most likely to get under the other team's skin.

I just think so many of you have made up your mind on him and don't watch the guy play anymore.

He is always hitting, jabbing, poking, in the scrums, crashing the net, pressing on the boards.

Love me some Milan to be honest, I like the way he plays.

EDIT: he's not Neil, but Neil is also the anti-soft on the spectrum...

lol what?? milan was my favorite senator for years. He goes to the net and dirty areas like i said but he's not a guy to start crap like neil going after patches, smith going after that caps player or pageau talking trash to guys double his size after knocking into their goalie.

Michalek only gets in scrums because where he is or hes angry not because hes starting crap on purpose.

I have no bias against milan. I was saying he was useful when he was bottom 20 in the league in 5v5 production. I've just had issue with him making 4mil over 3 years with a limited ntc. I have the same feelings towards condra. I think he's useful but i wouldnt pay him 3mil and give him a limited ntc over 3 years. I think Michalek isnt that hard to replaced. It may not be easy to find a player to fit in his role but its wouldnt be hard and i certainly wouldnt have been upset had he not been retained last summer.

My favorite sens from the SCF team
Heatley, Fisher, Alfredsson, Vermette, Volchenkov

Favorite from the rebuilding era
Michalek, Silf, Anderson, Alfredsson

Last edited:

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
He goes to the net and dirty areas like i said but he's not a guy to start crap like neil going after patches, smith going after that caps player or pageau talking trash to guys double his size after knocking into their goalie.

Michalek only gets in scrums because where he is or hes angry not because hes starting crap on purpose.

So "not fighting" = "borderline soft"?

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
lol what?? milan was my favorite senator for years. He goes to the net and dirty areas like i said but he's not a guy to start crap like neil going after patches, smith going after that caps player or pageau talking trash to guys double his size after knocking into their goalie.

Yes, but you keep jumping to extremes as though not soft = Neil. Neil is actually one of, if not THE toughest guy in the league pound for pound; absolutely fearless and loves/excels at the physical side.

Milan gets under opposition players skin every game by finishing checks, poking slashing and crosschecking, going into dirty areas, crashing the net with speed, and being present in the scrums pushing and shoving.

He doesn't strut around like Neil (neither does Smith at all), but he pisses players off with his aggressive play. I can't recall seeing Milan take a shift off, or choosing not to engage physically with other players.

He is a gritty 'Euro-style' player (and not the sneaky pest kind like Rutuu), and he looks like he enjoys it.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
Yes, but you keep jumping to extremes as though not soft = Neil. Neil is actually one of, if not THE toughest guy in the league pound for pound; absolutely fearless and loves/excels at the physical side.

Milan gets under opposition players skin every game by finishing checks, poking slashing and crosschecking, going into dirty areas, crashing the net with speed, and being present in the scrums pushing and shoving.

He doesn't strut around like Neil (neither does Smith at all), but he pisses players off with his aggressive play. I can't recall seeing Milan take a shift off, or choosing not to engage physically with other players.

He is a gritty 'Euro-style' player (and not the sneaky pest kind like Rutuu), and he looks like he enjoys it.

???

lol i havent called Michalek soft. He's not a rutuu, Neil or even alfredsson but hes also not the Kaberle, gretky or paul martin soft.

Different people have different standards so they may not include him in the super gritty players. He's not so gritty that'd id say its impossible to leave him off a list

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
???

lol i havent called Michalek soft. He's not a rutuu, Neil or even alfredsson but hes also not the Kaberle, gretky or paul martin soft.

Different people have different standards so they may not include him in the super gritty players. He's not so gritty that'd id say its impossible to leave him off a list[/QUOTE

I'm not sure what you're confused about. Someone claimed Milan was soft, and I responded to them.

You called Milan borderline soft, that is your stance. I have been arguing that he is not soft, that is mine.

Rutuu was not a tough guy, he was a turtling pest and has no place in this comparison, at all.

Neil is the toughest guy in the league pound for pound and is also not a reasonable comparison for obvious reasons.

Alfredsson is a great comparison. He became a gritty player who engaged physically, but did not fight, exactly like Milan does, and to the same degree.

So we're not discussing Milan's grit level, but instead various poster's grit detection levels?

Ok, obviously it isn't impossible given that you and other have grit-o-meters reading borderline to soft. My grit-o-meter registers in the gritty/physical/aggressive player area, which of course is why we're discussing this right?

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
Guys, can you take your 1st round pick bickering to some other thread? This one's for "past 1st round" draft picks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad