Murray's past 1st round draft history....

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
Here is Murray's entire 1st round drafts... (now edited results with Jared Cowen)

2014 - pick traded
2013 - Curtis Lazar
2012 - Codi Ceci OHL
2011 - Mika Zibanejad SEL, Stephan Noesen OHL, Matt Puempel OHL
2010 - Pick traded
2009 - Jared Cowen WHL
2008 - Karlsson SEL
2007 - O'Brien Minnesota (NCAA) (Murray was promoted to general manager of the Senators on June 18, 2007, so he likely didn't have any say in this draft)
2003 - Getzlaf WHL, Perry OHL
2002 - Lupul WHL

Notice the trend with Perry, Getzlaf and Lupul. All over 6'1, all Canadian and all with a bit of a nasty side at times all from the WHL and OHL.

Now if we go back to when Murray was GM in Florida we see some similar trends through rounds 1 and 2.

1999 - Denis Shvidki OHL
1997 - Mike Brown WHL
1996 - Marcus Nilson SEL
1995 - Radek Dvorak Czech
1994 - Ed Jovanovski OHL

Detroit
1993 - Anders Eriksson SEL
1992 - Curtis Bowen OHL
1991 - Martin Lapointe QMJHL
1990 - Keith Primeau OHL

#of first round forwards drafted:14/19 - 74%
#of first round OHL players drafted: 8/19 - 42%
#of first round WHL players drafted: 5/19 - 26%
#of first round SEL players drafted: 4/19 - 21%
#of first round QMJHL players drafted: 1/19 - 5%
#of first round "Other" players drafted: 1/19 - 5%
#of first round Canadian players drafted: 12/19 - 63%
Average total height of all players drafted: 6'2

Murray drafting trends with Ottawa:

#of first round forwards drafted: 4/7 - 57%
#of first round OHL players drafted: 3/7 - 42%
#of first round WHL players drafted: 2/7 - 28%
#of first round SEL players drafted: 2/7 - 28%

Last edited:

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
Ouch. His 1st rounders in Florida were awfull

2 out of 5 busted but the other guys are top 6 forwrds and Jovo is a #1 dman.

If you actually take a look at other GM's drafts specifically, they have been worse then Murray's...

The point of the thread though was to show everyone who Murray may be targeting. It wasn't a thread about how well Murray has drafted in the past... :p:

The Fuhr*

I like those big physical gritty guys. Have no idea why he lost his head in Florida but Anahiem, and Detroit were pretty good.

If Murray could find another Primeau for the second line center spot. That would be awesome.

Nov 16, 2007
in your head
2 out of 5 busted but the other guys are top 6 forwrds and Jovo is a #1 dman.

If you actually take a look at other GM's drafts specifically, they have been worse then Murray's...

The point of the thread though was to show everyone who Murray may be targeting. It wasn't a thread about how well Murray has drafted in the past... :p:

lol my bad :p

No doubt Murray likes his big canadian players, but look at the draft last year. He went with a few small skilled Euro's.

Others have suggested he follows cup winners trends. Last year Detroit won with a core of swedes. He drafted Erik Karlsson.

the year before the ducks won with big, physical, smash mouth hockey players. He drafted 6'3 Jim O'Brien.

Now no one know's if it is just coincidence or not except Murray and his scouts. If he follows the same trend as this year's cup winner we may have our answer. lol

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
lol my bad :p

No doubt Murray likes his big canadian players, but look at the draft last year. He went with a few small skilled Euro's.

Others have suggested he follows cup winners trends. Last year Detroit won with a core of swedes. He drafted Erik Karlsson.

the year before the ducks won with big, physical, smash mouth hockey players. He drafted 6'3 Jim O'Brien.

Now no one know's if it is just coincidence or not except Murray and his scouts. If he follows the same trend as this year's cup winner we may have our answer. lol

Now he did go with Karlsson who is a small skilled Euro, and he did draft a couple of small skilled forwards in Petersson and Sandin in rounds 4 and 7 ( I didn't eval his middle rounds as most likely he goes with his scouts call rather then his own in round 1)

I don't think he had a hand in the O'Brien choice. Murray was hired on as GM less then 2 weeks before the draft. He likely went with Mucklers scouts call on that one.

But if Murray drafts a guy that is a similar mold to whoever wins the Cup, we may all be on to him lol!

Nov 16, 2007
in your head
I don't think he had a hand in the O'Brien choice. Murray was hired on as GM less then 2 weeks before the draft. He likely went with Mucklers scouts call on that one.

I don't think he scouted personally but its ultimately his final descision as GM. They probably had a list of players they recomended and Murray saw his size and report and took him. But i agree. He was probably a guy on Mucklers list

Juice*

nice info to know. I was kind of hoping he had a better track record.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
nice info to know. I was kind of hoping he had a better track record.

Better track record. Ignoring his Ottawa picks as it's too early to judge them, his track record has been pretty good.

12 first round picks.

9 NHL regulars.

4 "stars" - Primeau, Jovanovski, Perry, Getzlaf.

That's pretty good.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
Better track record. Ignoring his Ottawa picks as it's too early to judge them, his track record has been pretty good.

12 first round picks.

9 NHL regulars.

4 "stars" - Primeau, Jovanovski, Perry, Getzlaf.

That's pretty good.

Agreed. He has done very well....

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
IMO Kassian would be an excellent pick for Murray especially if he isn't going to resign Neil. With all the small forwards & defencemen people are projecting to make this team next season they will need some toughness in the lineup.

Nov 16, 2007
in your head
IMO Kassian would be an excellent pick for Murray especially if he isn't going to resign Neil. With all the small forwards & defencemen people are projecting to make this team next season they will need some toughness in the lineup.

If he wants Kassian he should trade down to 13 or 14 imo.

Gnarlybard

Feb 22, 2007
Ottawa
yeah no kidding...

Hopefully the player he gets can play next season.

I'm not expecting that and I'd be ok if our draftee takes a year or more to come up. Might be setting yourself up for disappointment if this is your measure for a successful pick this draft.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
Why does everyone have this fascination with rushing these kids straight to the NHL? I just don't get it!

Let them develop mentally and physically first without any pressure before throwing them into the NHL....

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Why does everyone have this fascination with rushing these kids straight to the NHL? I just don't get it!

Let them develop mentally and physically first without any pressure before throwing them into the NHL....

cause usually forwards can play if they have the size and skill, it is usually defenders and goalies who take a while and shouldnt be rushed

Forwards are an exception since them playing a solid two way game at the age of 18 isnt urgent.

Last edited:

Sensfanman

Jan 27, 2006
Los Angeles, CA

Cap.

From CBA, paraphrased:

"In 2008, 27 years old or seven years in the NHL. The 2008 benchmark remains in place for the life of the agreement."

Basically, a player gets their entry level deal, one or two contracts and then can become UFA. I think there's a 2 year limit on signing a player too. Joining the league at 20 essentially becomes the break even point but sometimes you need a good player who plays for a 1M entry level deal over a 10 year vet on a 2.5M deal.

Draft picks need to get in fast and make an impact before they are gone or want more money.

PS: I called Kassian like 3 months ago (or so) for very similar reasons.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008

I agree with everything in this post

Foligno - Spezza - Alfie
Heatley - Fisher - Shannon
Regin - Kelly - Comrie
Ruutu - Bass - Winchester
E: Z. Smith - Zubov - Donovan

Phillips - Lee
Kuba - Volchenkov
Campoli - Picard
E: Smith - Bell
E: Schubert - M. Karlsson

Leclaire
Elliott
E: Auld

Where do you see room to make space to rush a prospect that would likely get under 30 points? No room on the top 6 if Shannon still plays with Fisher and Foligno/Heatley, bottom 6 is a waste of that prospect's skill. Much better off in CHL/College/Overseas etc...

Manny*

That's a pretty bad lineup. We need a real third line, and I think Comrie should go. We also need a #1 defenceman, as I'm sure everyone knows, and I trust Murray will make it happen in the off-season. From what I've heard, O'Brien was incredible at the training camp last year, and I expect to see him play next season.

costermonger

sans classe
Nov 4, 2007
Kitchener, Ont
Cap.

From CBA, paraphrased:

"In 2008, 27 years old or seven years in the NHL. The 2008 benchmark remains in place for the life of the agreement."

Basically, a player gets their entry level deal, one or two contracts and then can become UFA. I think there's a 2 year limit on signing a player too. Joining the league at 20 essentially becomes the break even point but sometimes you need a good player who plays for a 1M entry level deal over a 10 year vet on a 2.5M deal.

Draft picks need to get in fast and make an impact before they are gone or want more money.

I know how it works, but I don't understand why you think starting at 18 and UFA at 25 is somehow advantageous to the team, unless you've got someone who's obviously going to make a difference on your team - and most players aren't as 18 year olds.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Foligno - Fisher - Kassian

:) Damn that is scary 2nd line

Sensfanman

Jan 27, 2006
Los Angeles, CA
I know how it works, but I don't understand why you think starting at 18 and UFA at 25 is somehow advantageous to the team, unless you've got someone who's obviously going to make a difference on your team - and most players aren't as 18 year olds.

Like I said, if you can have an 18 year old come in, put up 10G and 20A as a rookie making like 800k, that's better for the team than paying Chris Kelly 2.5 million to do the same.

However, the Sens aren't the Lightning. They are very careful with prospects. Note how Muckler's picks are only starting to shine. Murray's picks are a couple of years away from being impact players.

You are right though, very few 18 year olds are NHL ready but most of them are too good to be in the OHL, don't qualify for the AHL (there's problems there with age and one-way vs two-contracts and stuff like that) so it's better to have them learn in the NHL than be bored and stunted in the OHL or whatever. Europe usually isn't an option either.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad