Confirmed with Link: Murray traded to NJ for 2021 5th round pick

ThisIsMyAlibi

Fantilli&Werenski&Gaudreau&Laine&Johnson&Jiricek
Mar 16, 2010
Ohio
Torts’s system is his system. I believe they’re confident he can turn whoever into a serviceable dman. This is proper resource reallocation. The team will improve in weaker areas and have a minimal performance loss where they moved players. If at all.

Reactions: majormajor

5th Line Fanatic

Oct 2, 2020
Where do you expect to get a elite scorer? The advanced stats and results raise serious questions about Hall's trajectory as well as Hoffman's effect on teams and winning games.

I still think the most likely way to get a gamebreaker at forward is still a trade, though a Savard+Korpi ++ package is super unlikely now without a locked in big signing (like, say, Pietrangelo, which I can't imagine happening)

EDIT: Also, I'm sad because I have an emotional connection to Ryan Murray as a Blue Jacket, so I hate seeing him go out like this for pennies. I trust Jarmo, and hope he has something up his sleeve, but that doesn't change I'm sad to see Murray play for another team.

Murray didn't go out for pennies. We got $4.6m in cap space. We're playing like big boys now.

So I'm not at all sad because players come and go. I cheer for the logo on the front, not the name on the back. I think the CBJ are going to get the Hart winner from 2 years ago and only had to give up Murray and Nuti to do it. Anderson, Domi, and Hall having the same agent worked out great for us. We still have our top 4 D-men and both Goalies.

Would I have preferred Gaudreau, yes. But, we're going to get Taylor Hall, the number 1 (offensive) UFA on the market to come to Columbus. Rejoice!

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
Murray didn't go out for pennies. We got $4.6m in cap space. We're playing like big boys now.

So I'm not at all sad because players come and go. I cheer for the logo on the front, not the name on the back. I think the CBJ are going to get the Hart winner from 2 years ago and only had to give up Murray and Nuti to do it. Anderson, Domi, and Hall having the same agent worked out great for us. We still have our top 4 D-men and both Goalies.

Would I have preferred Gaudreau, yes. But, we're going to get Taylor Hall, the number 1 (offensive) UFA on the market to come to Columbus. Rejoice!
Jinx?

Reactions: Cowumbus

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

How do you know?

Or more importantly, how would Jarmo know?

He can't even talk to Hall until noon tomorrow.

The cap clearing might be to make more room in general, with Jarmo not knowing who we'll end up with. Perhaps Calgary will sign Hall and need to move Gaudreau for ELC players only, in which case we need the space to take on Gaudreau. Or perhaps we get Hoffman, whose contract would only be a bit lower than Hall's.

Reactions: CBJFan827

Zarathustra

This is not my hat.
Nov 21, 2007
Salzburg
Any other long timers remember trade deadline day years and years ago when we thought we were going to get Brad Richards and make a run to the playoffs but then he went to Dallas so we dumped Feds and Foote (hiss) and tanked the rest of the season instead? I’m trying to be optimistic but this also reminds me of that.

I remember referring to the possibility if a Rich Nash line. Someone gave me a cookie.

Anyway, I like the trade. I like Murray but even the game after he they were saying they found a way to keep his back in good shape, he was out again.

Think Gavi might have surpassed him and his cap hit was too high and he was out too often to be on the third pairing.

Reactions: Socks

Jyrki

Benning has been purged! VANmen!
May 24, 2011
溫哥華
If Murray is out for like a year the way Dubinsky is going to be this coming year, then you can just put him on LTIR and get the cap benefit for it, presuming you were snug up against the cap. But if the guy is missing a few weeks here and there during the year, you don't get that benefit, you lose the player when he is injured and you don't get the cap space back to replace him.

hm, didn't know only LTIR counted for injury cap relief. Maybe that had to do with the low return.

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
If we land Hall that creates plenty of room for both Tex & Bemstrum to continue their development in a protected role. It also allows Foudy to get a full. Year in Cleveland to polish the edges on his game. With c
Chinakoovak or whatever his name is coming over next year, Foudy getting a year in Cleveland & Grigerinko being on board, this team would be stacked for s solid 3-4 year. Cup run.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Yeah this is a flat out whiff. Obviously I get the circumstances around the NHL with the flat cap. But a 5th for a sometimes top pairing guy, and an always top 4 guy when healthy, is just horrid value. Now much like the Nuti trade, I understand this move was made because cost cutting and we have some stuff on the front burners it appears. So I will reserve judgement until I see what happens. But it is really weird that we just tossed away a top 4 defenseman and a 3rd pairing defenseman for essentially nothing. Our depth is now gone, and I could even see a scenario where we trade Harrington to free up an NHL spot (even as an extra) for Carlsson.

punk_o_holic

Mar 1, 2002
N. Vancouver, B.C.
Yeah this is a flat out whiff. Obviously I get the circumstances around the NHL with the flat cap. But a 5th for a sometimes top pairing guy, and an always top 4 guy when healthy, is just horrid value. Now much like the Nuti trade, I understand this move was made because cost cutting and we have some stuff on the front burners it appears. So I will reserve judgement until I see what happens. But it is really weird that we just tossed away a top 4 defenseman and a 3rd pairing defenseman for essentially nothing. Our depth is now gone, and I could even see a scenario where we trade Harrington to free up an NHL spot (even as an extra) for Carlsson.
I just don't understand how no other team beat that offer. Like all they had to do is offer a 4th and they would have gotten him. Only a 5th and to a divisional rival, ouch x 2 lol. In the past you hear GMs say I never knew that guy was available or had I known he was available for that cheap I would have made an offer. I wonder if some Gms are thinking, damn Jarmo, should have let me know that a 5th would have gotten it done. Would have offered you a 4th or a 5th and another pick.

Speaking of Carlsson, he would have to go on waivers to get sent down or called up right? Maybe that was 1 of the reasons for these 2 trades. To have a spot for him so they don't risk losing him.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
Unfortunately the reality with Murray is the guy's health risk just crushes his value.

Bummer we couldn't get more for he and Nuti but clearly, given the returns, there is just no market for these guys.

I'll ultimately judge both of these deals with what Jarmo does with the cap space.

Agree 100%

Underwhelmed on returns for Nuti and Murray.

But if we do something with the space - then it's great!

Last edited:

Moch Daear

Jan 9, 2011
Getting a team to pay a 5th round pick to eat $4.6m salary for a guy who WHEN HEALTHY plays great hockey seems reasonable. Yeah, it sucks to not get a great return on Murray - but the REAL return in terms of the business is the flexibility to let the CBJ get the player they want for the push. If we hold Murray and can't get the right numbers financially to get the player that perhaps puts us into serious contention, fans moan about how all we needed to do was move a couple players and we would have had the money. Wait until all the parts come together to form the whole before we decide this is a move that deserves our discontent. Today is shaping up to be a big day, potentially.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
After sleeping on it, the only conclusion I can come to is that Murray's back issues must be worse than any of us truly realized. Like, maybe he finds himself obliged to retire after a year or three bad.

Reactions: cslebn

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio

Don't know if you are aware, but there are a lot of other teams that also are counting on acquiring one Taylor Hall. I hope you are correct, but have my doubts. I'm rooting for the CBJ too, but find it painful to lose Nutti & Murr for dick.

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
I can certainly see the point behind moving Murray and Nutivaara and even agree with it but man do the returns suck. Guess it's the nature of the economic situation and the cap right now but still. Real bad timing.

This kind of unloading should've been a way to get back some of those assets the team lost when they went all in with Duchene etc but none of that happened now and the 'debt' they took then kind of just stays now.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
Damn. Long post on wrong thread.

Anyway, good luck to Murray. Wish he had been healthier here. If I ever see a reasonably priced Team North America Murray jersey on eBay, I’d buy it in an instant.

Last edited:
Reactions: ThisIsMyAlibi

ThisIsMyAlibi

Fantilli&Werenski&Gaudreau&Laine&Johnson&Jiricek
Mar 16, 2010
Ohio
Availability is the best ability and Murray’s injury history is as bad as it gets. It sinks his value

Reactions: Moch Daear

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad