Confirmed with Link: Murray traded to NJ for 2021 5th round pick

Timeless Winter

SaveD the Crew
Oct 13, 2006
Cleveland, Ohio
Any other long timers remember trade deadline day years and years ago when we thought we were going to get Brad Richards and make a run to the playoffs but then he went to Dallas so we dumped Feds and Foote (hiss) and tanked the rest of the season instead? I’m trying to be optimistic but this also reminds me of that.

Yeah, vaguely. :)

CBJ goalie

May 19, 2005
London, Ontario
Murray fan here, thought he was a part of CBJ success WHEN he was healthy.

Columbus still has a great D, with depth.

This 5th basically makes up for the 5th they gave to NJD for Kinkaid, lol.

JacketLife

Aug 2, 2020
Murray is the only one of the drab four I’m sad to see go. Though, it was time.

Also, I think he’s the only one Torts will miss.

Good guy, hoping he does well and stays healthy. Man deserves a break as does his new team.

Reactions: cslebn

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
PLD $6.5m
Gavy $3m
Hall $8m

still need to take care of Dubinsky

Dubinsky is a non-factor, he'll be on LTIR and not count against our cap.

I don't think we could get PLD at $6.5m unless it's just a few years. To get him locked down long term I think it would be more like $7.5m, and that means we probably still can't get up to $8m for Hall.

That’s why I think Jarmo has some signing in place. There’s no other rational explanation

Is Jarmo allowed to talk to FAs yet? I don't think there is a negotiation window anymore, I think it's all a free for all starting at noon.

ok now Jarmo is drunk. even if Murray is often injured he's Top 4 quality whenever he's in the lineup, and his cap is getting eaten up by IR. I don't care if we sign Pietrangelo, this is still an inane trade.

That's I think what people are getting wrong here and why they're surprised by the low return.

If Murray is out for like a year the way Dubinsky is going to be this coming year, then you can just put him on LTIR and get the cap benefit for it, presuming you were snug up against the cap. But if the guy is missing a few weeks here and there during the year, you don't get that benefit, you lose the player when he is injured and you don't get the cap space back to replace him.

Reactions: hn777

domi28

Dec 5, 2017
Jarmo just said the ownership is all in to load up offense and never mentioned they set up an internal cap

He also said 6 weeks ago UFA signings were not the way to build a team.

5th Line Fanatic

Oct 2, 2020
In this economic environment, we can't compare what would be a normal return. There are no fans in the stands, no one paying to park, no one paying for concessions, yet somehow the Columbus Blue Jackets are wheeling and dealing to clear cap space to make a major move. Most teams are bleeding cash and yet somehow, we're going for it. Enjoy it!

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
In this economic environment, we can't compare what would be a normal return. There are no fans in the stands, no one paying to park, no one paying for concessions, yet somehow the Columbus Blue Jackets are wheeling and dealing to clear cap space to make a major move. Most teams are bleeding cash and yet somehow, we're going for it. Enjoy it!
Maaaaaaaybe.

I’m still trying my best to not get my hopes up.

This almost feels as weird/bad as staying up late to see if Bread would take our 11th hour last minute Hail Mary offer.

5th Line Fanatic

Oct 2, 2020
I'm so sad.
Cheer up! For the first time in the 20 year history of the CBJ, we're trying to put ourselves in position to win the Cup! We needed a 2nd line center (DONE) and an elite scorer and we're going to get one. When we are playing deep in the playoffs, I'll be shocked if anyone says, man, I miss Nutivaara or Murray.

CBJFan827

I hate you Brad Marchand
Jul 19, 2006
Cheer up! For the first time in the 20 year history of the CBJ, we're trying to put ourselves in position to win the Cup! We needed a 2nd line center (DONE) and an elite scorer and we're going to get one. When we are playing deep in the playoffs, I'll be shocked if anyone says, man, I miss Nutivaara or Murray.
Where do you expect to get a elite scorer? The advanced stats and results raise serious questions about Hall's trajectory as well as Hoffman's effect on teams and winning games.

I still think the most likely way to get a gamebreaker at forward is still a trade, though a Savard+Korpi ++ package is super unlikely now without a locked in big signing (like, say, Pietrangelo, which I can't imagine happening)

EDIT: Also, I'm sad because I have an emotional connection to Ryan Murray as a Blue Jacket, so I hate seeing him go out like this for pennies. I trust Jarmo, and hope he has something up his sleeve, but that doesn't change I'm sad to see Murray play for another team.

Last edited:
Reactions: cslebn

CoachWithNoTeam

Jul 1, 2006
San Diego
Definitely bummed and excited all at once. Sucks losing most of them for nothing, and they’re all players that I really liked, even if they all caused their share of frustrations.

Lots of good Jackets lost over the last 48 hours, but they all have been pushed further and further down in the lineup and would’ve cost about $18M to keep.

Reactions: Monk

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad