Post-Game Talk: Murphy Suspension Yay or Nay? 'Yotes 4 Oilers 2

Oilfan2

13.5%
Aug 12, 2005
He's in a turning motion cutting off the lane. One frame after contact, his back is turned. There is no way that he was aiming at the head. People are choosing to see what they want to see so that they can believe in a conspiracy theory. There is nothing to see here and the league choosing to not look at it isn't them having it in for the team or a "wheel of justice" situation. This was a hockey play, that had unfortunate consequences.

I agree that officiating this year against the Oilers seems to be trending in a bad direction, but this isn't an example of it.

Pot...meet kettle.

Have another look. He definitely was NOT turning away. He was straight at Nuge until he turned so he could put his right shoulder into Nuge's head. Why do you think he jumped into Nuge with his shoulder? Is he that small?

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I missed the hit during the game. I saw Nuge looking really woozy on the bench and wondered what happened to him. After reading the first four pages of this thread I assumed it was a terrible and dirty play. It just looks like a regular hockey play to me. I don't see any intent to injure. It wasn't a heavy hit. More a collision than anything else with Murphy turned away from Nuge. Also looks like Nuge didn't see him and didn't try to brace himself for it.

This for the win. This was a regular hockey hit and the variety of which occur in any game.

This wasn't even a particularly heavy hit.

A lot of hits like this are going to occur to Nuge. Strikes me that injuries with him are starting to ramp up.

Hopefully we can trade this contract in offseason. Not much use for this soft player here.

Nuge is not ideal as a WC Center and he's obsolete now with McDavid, Drai being far better topsix options.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
Pot...meet kettle.

Have another look. He definitely was NOT turning away. He was straight at Nuge until he turned so he could put his right shoulder into Nuge's head. Why do you think he jumped into Nuge with his shoulder? Is he that small?

There is a serious problem of poeple watching things in slow motion. If you watch that at regular speed there is no way Murphy has time to target nuge's head. He was just trying to hit him, Nuge's head was in a bad spot. There was seroiusly no way in real time that Murphy could have possibly aimed for his head.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
He's in a turning motion cutting off the lane. One frame after contact, his back is turned. There is no way that he was aiming at the head. People are choosing to see what they want to see so that they can believe in a conspiracy theory. There is nothing to see here and the league choosing to not look at it isn't them having it in for the team or a "wheel of justice" situation. This was a hockey play, that had unfortunate consequences.

I agree that officiating this year against the Oilers seems to be trending in a bad direction, but this isn't an example of it.

Totally agree. Not a dirty hit at all. Nothing to see here other than nuge getting creamed by a routine hit.

my lord, one would think at some point Nuge would start to develop some strength to be able to withstand this type of hit.

Drai gets hit like that several times a game because he plays a lot on the boards and in the paint and isn't being a peripheral player all day.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
There is a serious problem of poeple watching things in slow motion. If you watch that at regular speed there is no way Murphy has time to target nuge's head. He was just trying to hit him, Nuge's head was in a bad spot. There was seroiusly no way in real time that Murphy could have possibly aimed for his head.

Agreed with this too. People misinterpret a lot from looking at slowmotion replay. The initial point of contact is not head. The seeming intent is not to hit head.

I don't think there was an Oiler on the ice that thought it was a dirty play.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
Totally agree. Not a dirty hit at all. Nothing to see here other than nuge getting creamed by a routine hit.

my lord, one would think at some point Nuge would start to develop some strength to be able to withstand this type of hit.

Drai gets hit like that several times a game because he plays a lot on the boards and in the paint and isn't being a peripheral player all day.

I agree clean regular hockey hit.

I dont agree with your agenda though. Nuge has been in NHL against the West for how long? This is the first time his bell might have been rung? Lets not get to carried away here. At least he didnt go down like he was shot like another player on the team.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Pot...meet kettle.

I missed the game yesterday so I came into the thread looking for the highlight and wanting blood thinking someone got away with another dirty hit on an Oiler. I'm actually someone that did believe there was something illegal (maybe not intentional but reckless nonetheless) on the Hendricks trip that made Nurse lose his mind. But in this case, I watched the play and realized it was just a hockey play. So using the logic of seeing what I want to see suggests I wanted to see it dirty to justify some bloodlust, but in this case there simply wasn't anything to be seen other than a hit that happens in almost every game just with bad luck.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking

I dont agree with your agenda though. Nuge has been in NHL against the West for how long? This is the first time his bell might have been rung? Lets not get to carried away here. At least he didnt go down like he was shot like another player on the team.

Not sure who you are alluding to. In anycase Nuge looks, and plays like a lightweight. Not surprising considering he is 6ft tall and only 189lbs and he's 23 next month.

My hope was this player would grow a bit. For his position, and for being in the WC, he's not such a great fit. He's declining as well. Outside of one month last season where he put up 17pts he has been a non impact player.

heres something interesting. When is the last time you saw RNH make a hilite reel play?

Letestu even looks more dangerous on the PP.

Nuge is just ordinary. Next to Yak the lowest performing #1 pick around. But at least with Yak he's got the stature, strength, and can play on the boards so theres hope there.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
I missed the game yesterday so I came into the thread looking for the highlight and wanting blood thinking someone got away with another dirty hit on an Oiler. I'm actually someone that did believe there was something illegal (maybe not intentional but reckless nonetheless) on the Hendricks trip that made Nurse lose his mind. But in this case, I watched the play and realized it was just a hockey play. So using the logic of seeing what I want to see suggests I wanted to see it dirty to justify some bloodlust, but in this case there simply wasn't anything to be seen other than a hit that happens in almost every game just with bad luck.

So the "bad luck" was just that the initial point of contact was to the head. That changes it from a routine hit to a dangerous hit which caused an injury. Doesn't mean it was dirty at all, but it was to the head, which makes it illegal and much more serious.

A hit to the head is a hit to the head, it isnt "bad luck" and you say "oh well, he didnt mean to have the guys head be the initial point of contact, so its ok".

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards

Are hits where the initial point of contact is the head "clean regualr hockey hits"?

Some posters have had an agenda with Nuge from day one, they just also happen to be some of the biggest supporters of Sam Gagner as well.

WayneGreatzky

Nov 26, 2014
Edmonton
flamingtext_com_MTgzNzMwMjczNzQ0.jpg

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Some posters have had an agenda with Nuge from day one, they just also happen to be some of the biggest supporters of Sam Gagner as well.
Not me. I am a big Gagner fan (even now :cry:) and I like RNH.
Been defending him from weak criticisms this season.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Not sure who you are alluding to. In anycase Nuge looks, and plays like a lightweight. Not surprising considering he is 6ft tall and only 189lbs and he's 23 next month.

My hope was this player would grow a bit. For his position, and for being in the WC, he's not such a great fit. He's declining as well. Outside of one month last season where he put up 17pts he has been a non impact player.

heres something interesting. When is the last time you saw RNH make a hilite reel play?

Nuge is just ordinary. Next to Yak the lowest performing #1 pick around. But at least with Yak he's got the stature, strength, and can play on the boards so theres hope there.

The same Letestu that is absolute garbage and should never get a sniff with Yak?;)

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
The same Letestu that is absolute garbage and should never get a sniff with Yak?;)

That tells you the extent of my opinion regarding Nuge being anywhere near the PP.

In anycase Nuges EV or PP production/60mins this season is horrendous. Theres just nothing he's doing well this season.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Whiplash is due to inertia. Rnhs head snapped back due to contact with Connors shoulder. A bit high but his head looked tilted forward which allowed contact

Actually looking at it again he aimed to where his head was.. so suspension worthy I would think.. duck I hope he's not concussed

Whiplash typically happens in collisions from behind because the head snaps back. Basically opposite the direction of contact. If it was just inertia the head would have turned the other way. It turns in exactly the direction of contact.

I don't think there is any intent here but I certainly think the video shows clear contact with the head.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton

:shakehead

What the hell has happened with this player? I remember him pulling me out of my seat watching him work on the powerplay during his rookie season. I always laughed at the comparisons to Gretzky by the local media and the organization when he was drafted but I could understand some of them after watching him pass the puck his first year. We haven't seen any of that in years. What the hell happened?

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
That tells you the extent of my opinion regarding Nuge being anywhere near the PP.

In anycase Nuges EV or PP production/60mins this season is horrendous. Theres just nothing he's doing well this season.

Trust me, the PP has sucked big time either with the Nuge or without him.

Baby Nilsson

Apr 20, 2006
Victoria
Whiplash typically happens in collisions from behind because the head snaps back. Basically opposite the direction of contact. If it was just inertia the head would have turned the other way. It turns in exactly the direction of contact.

I don't think there is any intent here but I certainly think the video shows clear contact with the head.

We don't disagree here. I was replying to someone else's interpretation :)

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Pretty amazing that Oesterle led the team in minutes with over 27. Reinhart next with 23.

With Oesterle and Davidson I just don't get how it happens like this. They are both long shot prospects but on this team this year they somehow did very well. They both rose in a very similar way as well, starting out decent but inconsistent but then quickly developing consistency. I would put Davidson ahead of Oesterle, but only because Davidson maintained that consistency over a longer period of time, and didn't miss a beat switching to the right side.

Oesterle is one of the only things to really root for in the last few games of the season. It's a bit tough to say where he fits in our future plans though, but that's a good problem to have.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards

Exactly, how someone could possibly say that the initial contact wasn't to the head (intentional or not doesn't matter) is unbelievable.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
:shakehead

What the hell has happened with this player? I remember him pulling me out of my seat watching him work on the powerplay during his rookie season. I always laughed at the comparisons to Gretzky by the local media and the organization when he was drafted but I could understand some of them after watching him pass the puck his first year. We haven't seen any of that in years. What the hell happened?

Yep. Like I said, if anybody could even remember the last time he made a hilte reel play. I can't.

Passing hasn't been great either.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Exactly, how someone could possibly say that the initial contact wasn't to the head (intentional or not doesn't matter) is unbelievable.

Initial contact was to the head. I think the point of contention is if this was intentional.

In real time I honestly cant see how this was an intentional hit to the head.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad