Post-Game Talk: Murphy Suspension Yay or Nay? 'Yotes 4 Oilers 2

McDeathbyCheerios*

A few years back Ottawa was with out their norris trophy Dman, their starting goalie and their best forward for essentially the whole year and still made the playoff.

This team perfectly healthy might be 25th in the leauge if they are lucky and not out of the playoffs until January instead of December.
That is true but they required a glorious run from a goalie to squeek into playoffs. Fully healthy i think we would be 23rd with a normal amount of injuries 25th.

Toronto, Buffalo, Winnipeg, Vancouver, Columbus are all worse than us. Calgary would probably be worse as well.

McDeathbyCheerios*

Mistakes happen, but otherwise they played well and rebounded nicely.

It was also an incredibly unfair drop that should have been blown dead in the first place.
I think that's why they easily got walked. They saw the puck got dropped unfairly, expected a whistle, next thing they know they are defending a play. Even Talbot looked un ready

McTrashBoat

Show me the deed
Nov 28, 2014
I think that's why they easily got walked. They saw the puck got dropped unfairly, expected a whistle, next thing they know they are defending a play. Even Talbot looked un ready

It was almost like the ref whispered "here's your chance" in Reider's ear before the drop

McDeathbyCheerios*

It was almost like the ref whispered "here's your chance" in Reider's ear before the drop
Right? Lol.

If you just watch the play it looks like Reider just owned them. If you watch the whole sequence you could see he just took advantage of a bad pick drop. Still good but doesn't make us look so bad

rickysusedsht

Feb 25, 2015
Home of your Prince Albert Raiders
thought kass had a good game.if the boys played the whole game as they did the third period they could have won this.seems a few that arent fighting for a job next year are starting to check out.when you get a few guys giving up it can spread there the team fast. the bench looked somber and alot of guys staring down at there skates instead of rallying each other until griff started and kass led by example and put some try in.from my take there where alot of guys playing there own game out there not a team game . some guys are still trying to play the team game as you could see in the third .some good players may have to move and rewrite the DNA of this team to many guys used to giving up its really to bad because there isnt one guy on this team im not some sort of a fan off

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
A head shot? Please. Don't make me laugh. Make sure he never runs into the boards, never gets hit by the puck or never runs into anyone and he should be OK for a few games in a row.

To be fair, he's only missed 8 games, 2 games, and 6 games.

Hardly an issue. This season it was mostly due to a very random hand injury.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
From that angle looks like shoulder to me, can't tell if head movement is from contact or whiplash effect.

I know I'll get flamed for this, but it looks like a clean hit. Point of contact is shoulder to my eyes

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Then why doesn't his body move at all before the head does? Maybe you and Liquor are sharing the same bottle?

I see it as shoulder as well, but it is hard to tell for sure from that angle. Either way, though, it definitely doesn't look like he was targeting the head. As we haven't heard anything yet, I'm pretty sure the league sees it the same way. To me it seems like two guys going at a loose puck and a collision just happens. Connor looks like he is almost turning away rather than trying to go through RNH and in the process contact either made RNHs head snap back (whiplash) or contact may have been the head, but it doesn't look like it was targetted in any way at all.

Last edited:

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
His head moves before his shoulder does, really not sure how that is considered shoulder to shoulder with incidental contact to the head.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
To be fair, he's only missed 8 games, 2 games, and 6 games.

Hardly an issue. This season it was mostly due to a very random hand injury.

It doesn't matter, IATL wanted Larsson all the way back to the draft and has held it against RNH ever since.

McDeathbyCheerios*

It doesn't matter, IATL wanted Larsson all the way back to the draft and has held it against RNH ever since.
With AHL time injuries and being healthy scratches RNH has played more NHL games than Larsson

Baby Nilsson

Apr 20, 2006
Victoria
From that angle looks like shoulder to me, can't tell if head movement is from contact or whiplash effect.

Whiplash is due to inertia. Rnhs head snapped back due to contact with Connors shoulder. A bit high but his head looked tilted forward which allowed contact

Actually looking at it again he aimed to where his head was.. so suspension worthy I would think.. duck I hope he's not concussed

Last edited:

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Whiplash is due to inertia. Rnhs head snapped back due to contact with Connors shoulder. A bit high but his head looked tilted forward which allowed contact

Actually looking at it again he aimed to where his head was.. so suspension worthy I would think.. duck I hope he's not concussed

He's in a turning motion cutting off the lane. One frame after contact, his back is turned. There is no way that he was aiming at the head. People are choosing to see what they want to see so that they can believe in a conspiracy theory. There is nothing to see here and the league choosing to not look at it isn't them having it in for the team or a "wheel of justice" situation. This was a hockey play, that had unfortunate consequences.

I agree that officiating this year against the Oilers seems to be trending in a bad direction, but this isn't an example of it.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
I see it as shoulder as well, but it is hard to tell for sure from that angle. Either way, though, it definitely doesn't look like he was targeting the head. As we haven't heard anything yet, I'm pretty sure the league sees it the same way. To me it seems like two guys going at a loose puck and a collision just happens. Connor looks like he is almost turning away rather than trying to go through RNH and in the process contact either made RNHs head snap back (whiplash) or contact may have been the head, but it doesn't look like it was targetted in any way at all.

I would agree that there may not have been intent, but it still remains that it was then a careless hit, which caused a head injury. Should be an automatic one game suspension IMO.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
The hit was fine, I just hope Nuge is ok. If he was hurt, that is the kind of injury that makes you think Nuge is just butter soft. I mean he should have been able to take that hit. If his shoulder is messed up from that, he probably has bad shoulders.

Which I hate to say!!!!!!!

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton

Video of the hit on Hopkins.

Edit: Hit at full-speed at 0:18, slow-mo replay at 0:31

I missed the hit during the game. I saw Nuge looking really woozy on the bench and wondered what happened to him. After reading the first four pages of this thread I assumed it was a terrible and dirty play. It just looks like a regular hockey play to me. I don't see any intent to injure. It wasn't a heavy hit. More a collision than anything else with Murphy turned away from Nuge. Also looks like Nuge didn't see him and didn't try to brace himself for it.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
I missed the hit during the game. I saw Nuge looking really woozy on the bench and wondered what happened to him. After reading the first four pages of this thread I assumed it was a terrible and dirty play. It just looks like a regular hockey play to me. I don't see any intent to injure. It wasn't a heavy hit. More a collision than anything else with Murphy turned away from Nuge. Also looks like Nuge didn't see him and didn't try to brace himself for it.

I agree, it was just a hockey play. If Nuge is hurt, man I will be depressed. He is just way to injury prone.

Oilfan2

13.5%
Aug 12, 2005

Seriously?

Have another look. Murphy looks directly at Nuge and the reason it 'appears' he's turning away is because he has to turn that way to get his shoulder into Nuge's head..simply that. This was no shoulder on shoulder. Head snaps back after it was hit by Murphy's shoulder before anything else.
If Murphy simply wanted to check Hopkins he could have stayed facing him and stopped his progress. He turned his shoulder to contact the head and actually jumped into the hit (two feet left the ice).

I don't usually subscribe to the 'hates the Oilers' theories but I'm getting real tired of this BS all the time with little to no consequences..

Baby Nilsson

Apr 20, 2006
Victoria
He's in a turning motion cutting off the lane. One frame after contact, his back is turned. There is no way that he was aiming at the head. People are choosing to see what they want to see so that they can believe in a conspiracy theory. There is nothing to see here and the league choosing to not look at it isn't them having it in for the team or a "wheel of justice" situation. This was a hockey play, that had unfortunate consequences.

I agree that officiating this year against the Oilers seems to be trending in a bad direction, but this isn't an example of it.

Sorry I worded it wrong - I've got no agenda - I meant first point of contact was the head, even though it was not purposely so. Unfortunate play but I would think even accidental hits to the head are auto suspensions.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad