Post-Game Talk: Murphy Suspension Yay or Nay? 'Yotes 4 Oilers 2

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Initial contact was to the head. I think the point of contention is if this was intentional.

In real time I honestly cant see how this was an intentional hit to the head.

I would agree, the only part that seems iffy if the way that he launched himself upwards (clearly both feet were off the ice after contact was made.

A hit to the head doesn't have to be intentional to be illegal. Being reckless isn't an excuse.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Not me. I am a big Gagner fan (even now :cry:) and I like RNH.
Been defending him from weak criticisms this season.

No need to cry. Gagner P/60mins G/60mins EV is HIGHER than Nuges this season and with Gagner playing considerable time in bottomsix in Philly.

Its really astounding how weak Nuges production is from a topsix pov for a guy that gets as many minutes and quality of linemates he does.

Nuges production is really disappointing. Gets twice the minutes a guy like Gagner gets and last week they were tied in Goals scored this season. :amazed:

plus Gagner has only played 41 games.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
RNH is a strong two way player, and that type of player always looks the worst when the team around them is bad. And yet, while they are on the team, the team always does better. After RNH's first injury this season our competitiveness fell off of a cliff. When he came back, we started winning games again. We've been playing around .500 for the last while. We'll see how we finish this season without him, but I imagine our play falls off a cliff again.

The other thing about two way players is that in general, if the team around them improves, they start putting up tons of points.

I know in ways RNH looked better as a rookie, but when you are cooled down as much as RNH does with his assignments and minutes, you lose your offensive consistency.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
No need to cry. Gagner P/60mins G/60mins EV is HIGHER than Nuges this season and with Gagner playing considerable time in bottomsix in Philly.

Its really astounding how weak Nuges production is from a topsix pov for a guy that gets as many minutes and quality of linemates he does.

Nuges production is really disappointing. Gets twice the minutes a guy like Gagner gets and last week they were tied in Goals scored this season. :amazed:

plus Gagner has only played 41 games.
Yeah, Gagner looked slow in the games I watched early this season. He was getting **** minutes if he was dressed at all. I was concerned for his career tbh.
But he's really come back with some inspired play since the Christmas break. Seems to be gaining some trust of the coaches because his minutes are creeping up and he gets to play with better players like Couturier and Raffl.
No way the season can be called a success for Gagner, and I think Philadelphia is probably still a bad fit for him, but he salvaged a little pride at least.
He's UFA after this season, right? Be very interesting to see what happens.

randomrob7

Aug 30, 2013
Oilers outplayed them badly in the 3rd.

McDavid, Draisaitl, Kassian, Yakupov, Oesterle, Reinhart all looked pretty good. Pakarinen continues to impress.

The rest can GTFO.

You forgot the second best player, but if you want to continue to bash him despite being proven wrong time after time, I guess that's your prerogative. :shakehead

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Yeah, Gagner looked slow in the games I watched early this season. He was getting **** minutes if he was dressed at all. I was concerned for his career tbh.
But he's really come back with some inspired play since the Christmas break. Seems to be gaining some trust of the coaches because his minutes are creeping up and he gets to play with better players like Couturier and Raffl.
No way the season can be called a success for Gagner, and I think Philadelphia is probably still a bad fit for him, but he salvaged a little pride at least.
He's UFA after this season, right? Be very interesting to see what happens.

Gagner has 6 goals in the last month. Pretty damn good for somebody playing on 3rd line.

he came back from a bad concussion. First 10 games back looked like he was finished. I think I mentioned it before is he got tripped up on a play and fell back smashing his head on the ice. Really slammed his melon. People thought he could be done. Poor guy has been through a lot of odd injuries.

yeah, Courtourier and Raffl are a step up from some of the guys he was playing with in Philly at different times. Seems like he's starting to find a niche there. They do know enough to put him out on PP now. Gagner runs a good PP, always thought so.

Philly though is not an ideal fit for Gagner. But if he can make it work.

Throttlehead

Jan 22, 2014
Victoria B.C.
Totally agree. Not a dirty hit at all. Nothing to see here other than nuge getting creamed by a routine hit.

my lord, one would think at some point Nuge would start to develop some strength to be able to withstand this type of hit.

Drai gets hit like that several times a game because he plays a lot on the boards and in the paint and isn't being a peripheral player all day.

Come on now man, Murphy is 6'4" 212 lbs and the hit bounced off Nuge's shoulder and hit him in the head, it could happen to anyone. I see no one mentioned Murphy's skates coming off the ice either, its not like he jumped up but he did go high. Nuge is far from a soft player, he is actually quite gritty.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
I cant fathom how one can honestly complain about Nuges horrendous point production in one thread and then defend Yak in another.

Crazy board.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I cant fathom how one can honestly complain about Nuges horrendous point production in one thread and then defend Yak in another.

Crazy board.

RNH has played ALL YEAR in Topsix. Yak hasn't. Despite this the pts/60mins obtained is somewhat comparable. For Nuge to be in topsix with the best players on the team, chronically, and be at 1.40pts/60mins is absolutely deplorable.

Nuge gets a ton of primo minutes and does little with them. Lets also be clear that Nuge has been in the league longer and really no excuse for this limited production considering his plum minutes.

Last edited:

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
RNH has played ALL YEAR in Topsix. Yak hasn't. Despite this the pts/60mins obtained is somewhat comparable. For Nuge to be in topsix with the best players on the team, chronically, and be at 1.40pts/60mins is absolutely deplorable.

Nuge gets a ton of primo minutes and does little with them. Lets also be clear that Nuge has been in the league longer and really no excuse for this limited production considering his plum minutes.

Yak has played half his season in the top 6 now. Has a pts/60 at 1.1 :help: Playing against some of the weakest competition for the other half the season.

Nuge gets Primo mintues against the best competition?

Let me know when Yak succeeds RNH.

I dont even know why I argue about this. RNH is 10 x the hockey player Yak is. AINEC.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Yak has played half his season in the top 6 now. Has a pts/60 at 1.1 :help: Playing against some of the weakest competition for the other half the season.

Nuge gets Primo mintues against the best competition?

Let me know when Yak succeeds RNH.

I dont even know why I argue about this. RNH is 10 x the hockey player Yak is. AINEC.

Yak 1.2 Nuge 1.4 Big diff....

btw Yak hasn't spent half his season in topsix and even if he did and Nuge has been in topsix ALL HIS MINUTES its still harder to defend Nuges paltry production this season. Especially considering Nuge had apparently found his NHL game and Yak is still looking for it.

Nuge a better player? Sure, he's supposed to be and unlike yak has been given EVERY opportunity for years with the best players this club could give him and in EVERY GAME.

Is it really acceptable given all that for Nuge to have a paltry 33pts in 52GP while playing with allstars?

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains

btw Yak hasn't spent half his season in topsix and even if he did and Nuge has been in topsix ALL HIS MINUTES its still harder to defend Nuges paltry production this season. Especially considering Nuge had apparently found his NHL game and Yak is still looking for it.

Nuge a better player? Sure, he's supposed to be and unlike yak has been given EVERY opportunity for years with the best players this club could give him and in EVERY GAME.

Is it really acceptable given all that for Nuge to have a paltry 33pts in 52GP while playing with allstars?

Nuges points are acceptable if you think 6 goals and 18 pts in a prove me year for Yak is acceptable.

Your going out of your way to hammer on Nuge for his production then you defend Yaks production. That is what I dont understand? The top6 arugment doesnt cut it for me. They both play on the PP, Yak has spent alot of time in the top6 this year. The difference is one is playing against top4 dmen every night. One is playing against plugs. One is getting outscored by Kori and Lesteu, one is not.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Nuges points are acceptable if you think 6 goals and 18 pts in a prove me year for Yak is acceptable.

Your going out of your way to hammer on Nuge for his production then you defend Yaks production. That is what I dont understand? The top6 arugment doesnt cut it for me. They both play on the PP, Yak has spent alot of time in the top6 this year. The difference is one is playing against top4 dmen every night. One is playing against plugs. One is getting outscored by Kori and Lesteu, one is not.

Both are unacceptable.

In Nuges case moreso because he's playing with players, and in units he's played with for years.

In Yaks instance he's shuffled around everywhere.

Both playes are in a "prove me year" Actually of the two Nuges position as topsix Center here appears to be in more jeopardy. I'm sure he's feeling that. Frankly he looks ordinary compared to Draisaitl, and of course, McDavid. Nuge had to have known the moment McDavid was drafted his gig as top center was up. But I think its been a shocking revelation how Draisaitl has summarily unseated him.

In anycase what to do about it. Both players are immensely struggling to produce. I just wanted to raise the point that the on ice production /60mins is somewhat similar

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
Both are unacceptable.

In Nuges case moreso because he's playing with players, and in units he's played with for years.

In Yaks instance he's shuffled around everywhere.

In anycase what to do about it. Both players are immensely struggling to produce. I just wanted to raise the point that the on ice production /60mins is somewhat similar

Thank you, and I agree both are unacceptable. Outside of Drai and McDavid, everyones production has taken a dip this year and not really acceptable. Its just not fair to call one out with out a list of the whole team.

We are in 30th again this year, thats unacceptable. The only glimmer of hope I have is we dont have Lowe and MacT running the show anymore :yo:

Rafters

Aug 10, 2003
Medicine Hat
Visit site

One major point being forgetten is that RNH is being paid 6mill this year to produce like a top line player....Yak is being paid 2.5mil....Both have to be better next year if they are on this team....

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Thank you, and I agree both are unacceptable. Outside of Drai and McDavid, everyones production has taken a dip this year and not really acceptable. Its just not fair to call one out with out a list of the whole team.

We are in 30th again this year, thats unacceptable. The only glimmer of hope I have is we dont have Lowe and MacT running the show anymore :yo:

You have to remember that sometimes I'm tilting at windmills here. ;) Of course I want to see more production from Yak but theres no shortage of posters here that want to drive him to the airport for a connecting Aeroflot flight..

I guess I could always just join in that chorus but I honestly feel sorry for the kid and its just an attempt to stand up for him. I wish he'd do better though. I wish I didn't see him being deflated from one shift to the next. He has to get tougher, more resilient in his play. only way to get out of slumps is to bring it every shift, he's not always doing that.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
One major point being forgetten is that RNH is being paid 6mill this year to produce like a top line player....Yak is being paid 2.5mil....Both have to be better next year if they are on this team....

Yeah. tbh I feel that the team is recognizing how much a player like Pakarinen for example is doing. Giving him finally some rewards for solid play all year. I think more players like that around put pressure on guys that think they are part of the core to perform better. At least that's the hope.

But here it seems to result in players getting nervous and snakebit.:(

Really, even though I'm a Yak fan stating this theres very little difference between him and Pak except probably that Pak has been better, and more consistent. :(

Damn truth serum...;)

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
You have to remember that sometimes I'm tilting at windmills here. ;) Of course I want to see more production from Yak but theres no shortage of posters here that want to drive him to the airport for a connecting Aeroflot flight..

I guess I could always just join in that chorus but I honestly feel sorry for the kid and its just an attempt to stand up for him. I wish he'd do better though. I wish I didn't see him being deflated from one shift to the next. He has to get tougher, more resilient in his play. only way to get out of slumps is to bring it every shift, he's not always doing that.

Probably the same reason I try and defend Eberle for the most part.

That being said this whole team needs to be a hell of alot better. Every single one of them.

We are starting to agree more and more ;)

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
So after two days.. I guess it'd be safe to add this one to the list of hits that are legal/suspension-worthy depending on which guy is wearing blue?

Yep put it in the same pile as the hit that gave Korpi a concussion earlier in the year, and pretty much every other one in the last 5 years, except for Torres's hit on...Eberle?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad