Dreger: Multiple teams interested in Conor Garland - TOR, BOS, NJD, COL

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver

We value Podkolzin very highly, and are not saying Boldy should be moved for him, but rather a player of his calibre (which won't be offered) is what would get us to consider a trade. He was name dropped as an example of a better young player, not a trade target.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
no. they need defensively capable forwards. which Garland is.

i don’t see Canucks trading garland for anything less than overpayment. buckets of 1sts and such

He isn't beating Pastrnak or Hall for their slot and the rest of the forwards are quite strong defensively...

Defense is the main priority.

CellyHard

May 27, 2012
Massachusetts
no. they need defensively capable forwards. which Garland is.

i don’t see Canucks trading garland for anything less than overpayment. buckets of 1sts and such

Yo buckets of 1sts and such for Garland? This isn't a 25 year old Patrick Kane holy smokes.

Debrusk and Garland average almost exactly the same points per season. JD has more goals this season in less ice time. Garland has never paced for 30 goals (Jake has). Wingers like Garland have literally never returned such a return.

Where does this delusional value come from? and if he is this good then why hasn't the GM rebuked his availability on the trade market?

Reactions: AngryMilkcrates

CellyHard

May 27, 2012
Massachusetts
Connor Garland is significantly better at ice hockey than Jake Debrusk :facepalm: They're not "pretty close" at all, especially when you consider contracts.

Their career body of work says otherwise and idk where this obsession over his contract is coming from. It is very fair but it's not like Michael Bunting esq.

Garland #405 in the league in cost per point
Debrusk #364

Reactions: AngryMilkcrates

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
Ty Smith, LD/RD, New Jersey Devils

The New Jersey Devils have been linked to various big-ticket Canucks players — including Brock Boeser and Conor Garland — in recent weeks.
While Pavel Zacha’s name has been the one most prominently linked to Vancouver among young Devils players, various contacts suggested that the Canucks quite admire 21-year-old Devils puck-mover Ty Smith.

(Drance)

Feb 19, 2018

The New Jersey Devils have been linked to various big-ticket Canucks players — including Brock Boeser and Conor Garland — in recent weeks.
While Pavel Zacha’s name has been the one most prominently linked to Vancouver among young Devils players, various contacts suggested that the Canucks quite admire 21-year-old Devils puck-mover Ty Smith.

(Drance)
Looks like Byram is the target now. Definitely makes Smith even more redundant.

Feb 19, 2018
Why would you want him? He'll never play again remember?
I’m not in charge of the team. But with reports that is what the deal looks like between our two teams. I’ve said all along I love Newhook. I understand why he isn’t available.

Feb 19, 2018
Byram/Newhook may be the targets, but they're not available.
Well apparently Byram is and they are in discussions. They said that they prefer Miller due to the extra year on the contract over Giroux. This is not us coming to you guys, also as reported it’s Byram +

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
Their career body of work says otherwise and idk where this obsession over his contract is coming from. It is very fair but it's not like Michael Bunting esq.

Garland #405 in the league in cost per point
Debrusk #364
Career body of work clearly shows Garland is the superior player and it’s not even close. It’s not all about cost per point from half a season. Garland also gets zero PP1 time. Garland is 1st on the Canucks in even strength points.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey

(Drance)

This coming out of the Canucks side reeks of them using this as a ploy to up an offer elsewhere. Something like “the Devils are offering Ty Smith so you should beat that with Bowen Byram.”

Same goes for Zacha. Both recent first round picks who the Devils can put on the table to try to convince other teams to beat it.

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
This coming out of the Canucks side reeks of them using this as a ploy to up an offer elsewhere. Something like “the Devils are offering Ty Smith so you should beat that with Bowen Byram.”

Same goes for Zacha. Both recent first round picks who the Devils can put on the table to try to convince other teams to beat it.
Zacha was picked like 7 years ago that’s hardly a recent first round pick :laugh:

Nov 1, 2011
I would not put a lot of faith in Reilly with McAvoy and that bottom pairing. I would say Grzelcyk/Carlo is solid and Bergeron shelters a lot of some of the other pairings.

If the Bruins want to go on a run, I would say a good LD to play with McAvoy and secondary scoring is both areas of need.

What was the rumor in the summer?

OEL for Debrusk? Was there picks involved?

Reactions: Habs Halifax

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013

(Drance)
Must be based off of his play lasts season because he sucks ass this year, also the Canucks need well rounded dmen, not more offensive oriented dmen. The idea should be to build a D around Hughes that can handle tougher minutes. Smith really doesn't fit that profile

dmac7719

Apr 27, 2018
Ontario
Well apparently Byram is and they are in discussions. They said that they prefer Miller due to the extra year on the contract over Giroux. This is not us coming to you guys, also as reported it’s Byram +
This is false and Drance, who was one of the one's that initially reported this, had to clear up in his Athletic article that Byram was never offered.

Rick Dhaliwal and I were tipped off by reliable industry sources who linked the Canucks with interest in former Vancouver Giants blueliner Bowen Byram last week.
As a morsel, it was too delicious not to include in our latest “What We’re Hearing” piece, which we ran on Friday.
In surfacing Byram’s name, we were hoping to illustrate the extent to which the Canucks were big-game hunting for young defenders on the trade market. We weren’t suggesting that a deal is imminent or that the Avalanche would even consider parting ways with the 20-year-old Cranbrook, B.C. native, who is on a very short list of the best blue line prospects to come out of Western Canada over the past decade.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad