Dreger: Multiple teams interested in Conor Garland - TOR, BOS, NJD, COL

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
According to multiple sources including Dreger, The Vancouver Canucks are getting a lot of calls and offers on Garland. Teams specifically mentioned are Toronto, NJ and Boston

Garland has been fantastic for Van this season. He is also only 25 years old and signed to a sweetheart deal of 4.9 AAV for 4 more years after this season.

Return would probably start with 1st and prospect. Van would probably have interest in a young aged Dman as well with high value instead of a 1st rounder.

Last edited:

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
I really hope we don't move him.

I think with Garland its more of a case that teams are very much calling the Canucks rather than Canucks shopping him much like they seem to be with Miller and Boesr.

The 4th Period reports that many teams were after Garland when he was still with Arizona but Arizona was only interested in trading him if the other team took OEL and OEL only had 2 teams he wanted to go to.

Reactions: Conbon

Rotang

Sep 30, 2005
Dallas, TX
Don’t see how the Canucks can afford to move players that are outperforming their contract with their current cap situation. Depends on the market of course, but anything short of an overpayment isn’t worthwhile.

Reactions: bh53

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
Don’t see how the Canucks can afford to move players that are outperforming their contract with their current cap situation. Depends on the market of course, but anything short of an overpayment isn’t worthwhile.

Maybe Garland gets used again and attached to a big contract to help move cap space.

Garland and Myers

for 2nd and prospect

as an example.

It brings down Garland's value but Van gets rid of Myers contract.

I would personally rather not do that kind of trade as I feel Garland is a very very good player but it sounds like Vancouver is exploring all options and have alot of different plays they can make.

Jerzey Devil

Jerzey-Duz-It
Jun 11, 2010
St. Augustine, FL
If it’s NJ I would assume it’s something like Garland + Dickinson for Zacha + Smith. I know Van fans have said they don’t need or want Smith but there were rumors that Van was interested in him.

I’d say there’s next to no chance NJ’s 1st is available for 4 years of anyone.

Reactions: Smitty426

Setec Astronomy

Jun 15, 2012
Per Todd Cordell's Substack (sorry won't paste a quote), he's been told that Garland's perceived value among NHL GMs is less than it is among those on the outside.

Cordell is not in the rumor mongering business, and generally turns out to be correct when he drops these types of nuggets.

Reactions: ChicksDigTheTrap

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
I'd assume Canucks would want something like Lysell + 1st? Their window is ending soon with Bergy aging and no one to replace him

The speculation is that the Canucks coaching/management might not see Garland as a long term fit due to his size and the way they want to build the team, as to why he might be made available.

Trading for a similarly small prospect like Lysell who is 5'10 at best just doesnt make sense.

I've seen Lysell play a lot this season being that I live in Vancouver and he plays for the Giants.

Skilled , perimeter player that doesnt have pace or motor in my opinion.

I would much rather target other Boston prospects or other teams prospects in general.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
Per Todd Cordell's Substack (sorry won't paste a quote), he's been told that Garland's perceived value among NHL GMs is less than it is among those on the outside.

Cordell is not in the rumor mongering business, and generally turns out to be correct when he drops these types of nuggets.

Anything short of a 1st and a prospect or a major cap clearing trade for the Canuck and they keep Garland I think.

If his value is low in the GM circle then theres no need to move a productive winger making 4.9 mil at 25 yrs old.

BruinsJoe

Sep 29, 2020
I like the player but does not fill Bruins main needs..
They need a top RW, top LD, 3rd liner with grit, and another D with grit...so yesss Garland fill a need...not supprised if Garland is the price to pay to take Ekman Larsson contract with some retain, Bruins were on Ekma Larsson couples month of that

Reactions: bh53 and CherryToke

Love

Feb 29, 2012
Trading him would be a big mistake. Of course with any trade there’s the caveat of unless its a massive overpayment.

PLEASE trade Boeser before trading Garland. Garland is cheaper, better, and only a year older. Garland is a beast at even strength. He has 2 power play points this season. Trade Boeser and put Garland on the 1st unit PP.

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
They need a top RW, top LD, 3rd liner with grit, and another D with grit...so yesss Garland fill a need...not supprised if Garland is the price to pay to take Ekman Larsson contract with some retain, Bruins were on Ekma Larsson couples month of that
Certainly not at the top of the list......... They don't fix that D and get some size get the golf clubs out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad