Movies: Mulan (2020)

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
Last Friday, a Federal judge ruled in the DoJ's favor that the Paramount Consent Decrees were no longer necessary. This paves the way for studios to buy up theater chains, meaning that the theater owners could eventually be the studios, themselves. That'll mostly remove that particular roadblock to simultaneous theater and home releases that you mentioned.
I see a lot of cinemas getting bankrupt. They already only earn on popcorn and fizzy drinks and now they are losing the advantage of the earlier screening.

kingsholygrail

Predictable 1-2
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
I'm going to take a guess and say that this is a movie that probably is targeting families and couples anyways. The value proposition isn't there for a single viewer, but, even in a theatrical setting, it was probably not going to make up a big part of the market.
Of course it's a calculated market risk. Disney's products are targeted at families period. They have other companies under their umbrella for the other markets.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
I see a lot of cinemas getting bankrupt. They already only earn on popcorn and fizzy drinks and now they are losing the advantage of the earlier screening.

Almost makes me feel bad about all the things i've snuck into theaters the last 15 years. Almost...

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
I see movies by myself or at most with one other person

I pay much less than 30.

30 for a family of four, to own the movie, is reasonable.

Except you don't own it, it's basically a rental fee. But yes for a family it makes more sense if you can't wait for it to go down in price.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Totally missed this had been released:

Not the biggest Aguilera fan but that is a really good song. I think "Husavik - My Hometown" finally has competition for the Oscar of Best Song.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
What is your go to to sneak in?

Big bag of Buncha Crunch, big bottle of water. I’ve snuck anything and everything in though. Off the top of my head...

-chipotle
-hummus and tater tots (to-go food from a bar)
-McDonald’s deluxe breakfast
-weed
-beer
-wine

How about yourself?

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
Movie comes out tomorrow I think. Reviews are pretty good (78%), but reading a few reviews, it's nothing tremendous, with the best appeal being the visuals, which is less impactful in a home streaming environment.

I still expect to purchase this weekend as a decent family viewing option right now. I'm still curious how this does, especially in comparison to movies being released in theatres right now.

Sep 19, 2008
It does come out tomorrow. There's a small bar on ESPN / ESPN2 which keeps advertising it.

This is going to be a trial run which determine how other Disney movies i.e. Black Widow are released so I am also curious how it does. As for the movie itself no I will not watch it.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
It does come out tomorrow. There's a small bar on ESPN / ESPN2 which keeps advertising it.

This is going to be a trial run which determine how other Disney movies i.e. Black Widow are released so I am also curious how it does. As for the movie itself no I will not watch it.

I'm wondering if Disney is going to release much info on its success, and even if it does, what is considered a success.

It'll also be interesting to sew how long it takes for bootleg copies to show up on streaming sites. It likely won't be long.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
I see a lot of good reviews, Perri Nemiroff, Roxy Striar, Grace Randolph, Mama's Geeky, Mark Kermode. IGN gave it 8 "Great".
Jeremy Jahns and Stuckman both hated it. An IGN 8 is a regular person 6. I personally find I don't agree with Grace Randolph's taste in movies enough though I do like watching her movie news videos.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Jeremy Jahns and Stuckman both hated it. An IGN 8 is a regular person 6. I personally find I don't agree with Grace Randolph's taste in movies enough though I do like watching her movie news videos.

Jahns was also lukewarm to Tenet and Stuckman gave it B+. And I find they're tastes wildly conflicting with mine at times. Not sure why're using those two as THE correct opinions, when it's currently at 82% Fresh at RT, meaning most critics liked it. Anyway, I'll be watching Mulan tomorrow.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Jahns was also lukewarm to Tenet and Stuckman gave it B+. And I find they're tastes wildly conflicting with mine at times. Not sure why're using those two as THE correct opinions, when it's currently at 82% Fresh at RT, meaning most critics liked it. Anyway, I'll be watching Mulan tomorrow.
I never said I am using those two as "THE" opinions. I have watched at least 4 videos that are all lukewarm at best on the movie. I watch those two as I find my tastes line up fairly well with them. Do not honestly give a damn about the RT score. Also saw Tenet myself...very lukewarm on the movie.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
I will say i enjoyed it very much

Ironically - all the animated ones i loved (Beauty and the Beast, Lion King etc) - i've hated the live action (there are no words how much I loathe the LA Beauty and the Beast) - where as I was pretty lukewarm on Mulan - but i REALLY enjoyed this.

Sep 19, 2008
Reviews are kinda mixed. Most of the outrage is about trying to cancel Mulan because the main actress and Donnie Yen expressed pro-HK police sentiment.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
The movie might be bad, but i really wish people would stop comparing it to the original. Which is what many people are doing. At least on rotten tomatoes.

There is a reason why this version is different than the cartoon version. There is a reason why there is no mushu and what not.

Reactions: Jussi

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
The movie might be bad, but i really wish people would stop comparing it to the original. Which is what many people are doing. At least on rotten tomatoes.

There is a reason why this version is different than the cartoon version. There is a reason why there is no mushu and what not.

If they didn't want it to be compared to the original, then they shouldn't have remade it. I didn't follow the production, but some quick googling says Mushu isn't in their because Chinese audiences don't like him (same reason they removed a kiss between Mulan and her love interest). I'm not sure if "pandering to the Chinese market" is a more legitimate excuse when telling a Chinese folk tale vs some Transformers movie, but I guess it could be.

I thought the movie was fine, but I actually would have preferred it without any mysticism at all. No mushu, no pheonix, no witch, no chi. Remove the extremely Disney stuff like when she is chasing the chicken at the start and just have it be a grounded movie about a young women risking her life for her family.

Reactions: Osprey

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad