OT: Much Ado About Kovy - Still in Russia

Status
Not open for further replies.

VoidCreature

Before you see the light, you must die.
Mar 6, 2015
New Jersey
His leverage is basically that he can tell the Devils he'll wait another year and they'll lose him for nothing. So either pay me big bucks now, or trade me to someone who will.

This of course is assuming what Friedman says about how it works is correct, which is pretty iffy. Ultimately, the by-laws didn't really plan for this kind of situation, and they sometimes contradict one another. The by-law that really matters is the one that says the Commissioner has the ultimate say in how they're interpreted and his decision on such matters is final and can't be reviewed by any court or arbitrator. So really Bettman can kind of make it up so long as it passes the straight face test, and even that might not really matter.

The thing is Friedman isn't just some reporter. He's a mouthpiece for the league. If he speaks with confidence about how it will be handled, I believe him.

mike30

Jul 17, 2014
New York
sign kovy, radulov, shatty
get rid of cammy, lovejoy
trade for some team who cant protect a good defenseman. wild?
?????
cup

Sir Fenwick Corsi

NJ Lottery PICK-3
Dec 29, 2010
New York
I'll believe it when I see it but if he wants in and the best option available is that he plays for NJ, so be it. Declining or not, he can't be any worse than some of the **** that's been skating out there these last three seasons.

Setec Astronomy

Jun 15, 2012
The thing is Friedman isn't just some reporter. He's a mouthpiece for the league. If he speaks with confidence about how it will be handled, I believe him.

That is true, although I think the Devils will have some say in the matter. Harris and Blitzer seem to command a lot of respect from Bettman and Daly. That's the only reason they could have gotten that first round pick back, even 30 overall, when the league was under no obligation to do so.

So I think if Harris said the Devils really wanted Kovy back, or at least they want to box him in so the Devils get maximum value for him, Bettman would lean in that direction, if he wouldn't make it happen outright.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
I'd take him back, absolutely. That said, I feel like it would be a very interesting dynamic between him and Hall.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
How much is he really going to help at this point though? Even during his supposed prime with us he only had 1.5 good years out of 3, and that was five years ago. Would he be better than Camm, I suppose but I'm not taking him on any long-term deal. If he wants to come back let him be on a one-year deal a la Radulov this year, at least you'd get the best out of him when he's singing for his supper.

Um he was nearly a point per game his entire tenure as a Devil and the one year he wasn't, he still had 31 goals. To downplay his success here just isn't accurate. Now would he still be good? Who know, but he did just put up 78 points through 60 games in a pretty damn good league.

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
We were worried about guys like Sykora and Gomez being on the team, that prior to coming back on their second stints, showed few signs of being capable of playing in the league further. To be worried about Kovalchuk doesn't make much sense.

If Kovalchuk were to come back to the NHL and things were to work out that he'd be here, even if he contributed 50 points (low for his standards), that's a significant upgrade to this team's offense.

Setec Astronomy

Jun 15, 2012
Would definitely sign him to 4/$26, especially if you could manage to make Camm's contract go away, or at least a good chunk of it.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
sign kovy, radulov, shatty
get rid of cammy, lovejoy
trade for some team who cant protect a good defenseman. wild?
?????
cup

Sign Suter, Wideman, trade Larsson (well I guess trade for Larsson?:sarcasm:)

Haha just reminded me of Jackeddevilsfan

Guy was a legend for the short time he was here.

EnglishDevil

Nov 11, 2009
London, UK & Chicago, US
I personally don't want him anywhere near this team. I'm not bitter and I have no issues with him coming back to the NHL if that's what he wants, but it should be with a different team.

Do a reinstatement 'sign and trade', we deserve an opportunity to recuperate some of the assets we originally gave up for him.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
The devils were well aware of kovalchuk leaving and without a doubt encouraged it if not came up with the idea and the NHL was with it. To think otherwise would mean that lou was an absolute moron that he could let something like this happen under his watch. That he had no idea and kovalchuk surprised him? The team was bankrupt and I doubt any new owners would have wanted to take on that massive deal. The fact the devils got the first round pick back to some extent and the insane fact that lou waited til the last year to forfeit the pick is telling that they knew they would get a lighter penalty. Another strange thing about that last season he was here. Debore had him playing what 24 mins a night? Yeah we were trying for a playoff spot or did the devils know they were going to lose him and could care less if he got busted up by playing those mins typically if you have a guy signed for another 15 years you would want to break his back year 1 of that contract.

That all being said your insane if you don't want him on this team we scored what 28th in the league this year? Jagr credited playing in the khl with his ability to continue playing in the NHL right now. Kovy was a work horse and I doubt that drive has left him there isn't any doubt he will be in shape and able to put up 20 goals

Setec Astronomy

Jun 15, 2012
The devils were well aware of kovalchuk leaving and without a doubt encouraged it if not came up with the idea and the NHL was with it. To think otherwise would mean that lou was an absolute moron that he could let something like this happen under his watch. That he had no idea and kovalchuk surprised him? The team was bankrupt and I doubt any new owners would have wanted to take on that massive deal. The fact the devils got the first round pick back to some extent and the insane fact that lou waited til the last year to forfeit the pick is telling that they knew they would get a lighter penalty. Another strange thing about that last season he was here. Debore had him playing what 24 mins a night? Yeah we were trying for a playoff spot or did the devils know they were going to lose him and could care less if he got busted up by playing those mins typically if you have a guy signed for another 15 years you would want to break his back year 1 of that contract.

That all being said your insane if you don't want him on this team we scored what 28th in the league this year? Jagr credited playing in the khl with his ability to continue playing in the NHL right now. Kovy was a work horse and I doubt that drive has left him there isn't any doubt he will be in shape and able to put up 20 goals

Plus, I believe he left right before the big bucks were going to kick in, hence the miniscule recapture penalty, which could have been devastating. He still has that house in Alpine, which I don't think he needed for his kids to go to school here.

So yeah, it does look like the scenario that has played out was something that was considered at the time.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
Him actually signing back here and lacing them up just proves that it was all staged imo. Like you said he still has that house its a little strange he kept it. If he didn't have have any intention on coming back at somebody point. Has he even been to the house since it was finished? Doesn't make financial sense to keep a mansion in alpine of all places

VoidCreature

Mar 6, 2015
New Jersey
I don't know about this staged business, but if he does come back we'll be in better shape than when he left. Younger goalie in Cory, revamped prospect pool and ownership with the ability to spend.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
Yeah I don't get people wanting shatenkirk for 7 years but kovalchuk for 1-2 years no one wants? They rather have the second round pick he would draw? Esp after seeing what radulov just did this year and playoffs

mike30

Jul 17, 2014
New York
how could you not want a player like him when we were near last in scoring... i welcome him back with open arms and i hope he signs and doesn't get traded. hes a special player and one of my favorite to watch.

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
im pretty much over my Kovy hate. if he wants to come back im fine with it

GeNeXt

Jul 5, 2012
Yes please. Would explain maybe why we've left #17 open? Quenneville wore it in the minors and juniors, but not pros? Had me thinking there was a possibility a couple months back.

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
I'm fine with it either way--helps the team score(and guys like Zacha/McLeod along) and that'd be great. If a team wants to give up some good assets for him that'd be great too. If it helps bring Rykov over faster that'd be great too.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
It's like you people didn't pay attention when Kovalchuk was here. The 3 years Kovalchuk was here, the Devils finished 30th, 11th (more like 15th when you remove shootout results), and 28th in offense. They had one decent year and two lousy ones. Now he's 34. Now does Hynes's system fit him better than DeBoer's, absolutely, but the Devils have almost the same rotten situation at center that they had before. I'm not saying that Kovalchuk is bad or he is why those teams were terrible offensively, but he's not the offense-healer that some of you think. The Devils likely overplayed him and played him in a system not suited for his talents along with sticking him with Zajac for much of his time here, so they're to blame for some of his issues too. Still, he's a 34 year old guy who's spent 4 years playing for an All-Star team in Russia. The idea that he's better than Hall is ludicrous.

If the Devils could sign and trade him for anything, that's great. Literally anything at all would be huge, but if they could get a 2nd round pick for doing that? It's a win. Work out a deal and move on.

Zippy: I'm not sure Kovalchuk is eligible for the expansion draft. I don't know that players on the 90-man reserve list are, and I'm not even sure if Kovalchuk is on said list as a retired player (it wouldn't make much sense if he were, honestly - does that mean that e.g. Patrik Elias is still on the 90 man reserve list? And is also eligible for the expansion draft?).

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I kinda of see current Kovalchuk like Jagr when he was here, just as far as production goes.

I really only see him as a 60-ish point player, I think Jagr scored 67 points that year.

He might only be a 55-ish point player like Radulov. That's still pretty good, but don't expect the addition of him to be a playoff team.

I see the desire to have Kovalchuk back as a scarcity mindset, psychologically speaking and it comes from how awful this team is at offense and how starved we are for offense. It's like that ex that we've all had. Sometimes it's an ex that wasn't even that great in the first place. After a prolonged period of no dates, dry spell's or dates with those who are even lesser than the not so great ex, we really miss that ex. We really want him/her back because life without them seems to suck even more than the life with them, which wasn't even all that great to begin with.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
The difference is that Jagr is actually good apart from his scoring and Kovalchuk is not. So sure, if you feed him 20+ minutes a game and put him on both power play units, he'll score you a lot of points. The game is moving in the opposite direction from giving star forwards loads and loads of ice time.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Production and driving play do not go hand in hand. Kovy could get the same points as Jagr did that year but he would not be dominanting possesion and driving the play forward as much as Jagr did. Some of you are extremely overreaching on how good current Kovy is and what he was 2 of the 3 tears he was here. Yes I would like to have him but my god pump the brakes.

Last edited:

VoidCreature

Mar 6, 2015
New Jersey
The difference is that Jagr is actually good apart from his scoring and Kovalchuk is not. So sure, if you feed him 20+ minutes a game and put him on both power play units, he'll score you a lot of points. The game is moving in the opposite direction from giving star forwards loads and loads of ice time.

Production and driving play do not go hand in hand. Kovy could get the same points as Jagr did that year but he would not be dominanting possesion and driving the play forward as much as Jagr did. Some of you are extremely overreaching on how good current Kovy is. Yes I would like have to have him but my god pump the brakes.

This is like a starving man turning down free pizza because he doesn't like pepperoni.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad