OT: Much Ado About Kovy - Still in Russia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
I would try to get a ransom for him if a team is stupid enough to do so. If not, play him during the season and teade him at the deadline if he is still a good player. This is all contingent on what Ilya wants as well.

He put up better points this season than Radulov did in his last year in the khl. Kovy won't be a superstar again, but he could easily be a top 6 player.

HenriquesJawLine

Mar 6, 2009
If we can actually trade him then maybe we can make my dream of getting Burakovsky on the Devils and send Kovy to replace Oshie

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
I wonder how that works contractually. He's last deal with voided correct? If he comes back and goes to another club do we still have that 250k recapture hit (not that that matters)? Lots of unanswered questions.

Mike27Devils

Apr 24, 2015
Sign him then trade him to the kings for their 10th overall pick? That would be a dream come true for the devils and would give the kings a small window where they still could compete for the cup. Maybe the kings would sign Radulov too. They may be legit again for a short while. I doubt we could get that much value for kovy and I'm not sure we could even sign him before the draft then trade him at the draft.

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
Sign him then trade him to the kings for their 10th overall pick? That would be a dream come true for the devils and would give the kings a small window where they still could compete for the cup. Maybe the kings would sign Radulov too. They may be legit again for a short while. I doubt we could get that much value for kovy and I'm not sure we could even sign him before the draft then trade him at the draft.

Not sure how much value they would get for him, but I doubt any team is willing to give up a top 10 pick. Unless it's a top 4 defenseman coming back, I would keep Kovalchuk. The Devils might also find value in allowing him to mentor Rykov.

bobilly45

Jan 1, 2013
Let's see what shero does this summer... kovy might actually compliment some players if we have offense. Id take him over cammy

nugg

NJ Hammerhead Bats!
Apr 27, 2002
Central Jersey
His leaving helped us in the long term, but in the short term it killed us for a few seasons. Personally I thought it was a fun off-season (2010), waiting to find out how it would all shake down. How cool would it be if we get a great pick, can sign Kovy, which could help us get Radulov and maybe Shattenkirk, and maybe another good KHL player as well. Talk about an upgraded roster! One can dream...

VoidCreature

Before you see the light, you must die.
Mar 6, 2015
New Jersey
Kovalchuk had 78 points in 60 games for SKA this year. NHLE is calculated:

[(Points ÷ Games Played) x 82] x League NHLE Value=NHLE

KHL NHLE value is .83

So

[(78 / 60 games) x 82] x .83=88 points

Mike27Devils

Apr 24, 2015
Not sure how much value they would get for him, but I doubt any team is willing to give up a top 10 pick. Unless it's a top 4 defenseman coming back, I would keep Kovalchuk. The Devils might also find value in allowing him to mentor Rykov.

Well the kings did trade their 13th overall pick (which happened to be a very strong draft) for Lucic on a one year contract...

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002
Hall-Henrique-Kovalchuk
Cammalleri-Zajac-Palmieri
Zacha-Blandisi-Bennett
Wood-McLeod-Noesen

Is a nice forward lineup for next season. Now if only if we can fix the defence.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
I mean I do see a scenario of Kovy wanting to stay in NJ. Doesn't he still own a house here? Maybe he can draw Radulov here as well?

Who the hell knows. This is all crazy talk. Just gotta wait and see.

Setec Astronomy

Jun 15, 2012
A no brainier. If he wants to come back on a reasonable deal, welcome him with open arms. The low first round pick or B prospect you'll get for him will not come close to the production I believe he still has left.

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
A no brainier. If he wants to come back on a reasonable deal, welcome him with open arms. The low first round pick or B prospect you'll get for him will not come close to the production I believe he still has left.

This, unless you can get a significant piece back. I don't want to trade him for a middling pick or run of the mill prospect.

HenriquesJawLine

Mar 6, 2009
This, unless you can get a significant piece back. I don't want to trade him for a middling pick or run of the mill prospect.

andre-burakovsky-girlfriend.gif

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007

Eh on a practical level I agree but on an emotional level I've had it years ago with the constant drama around this player and would just as soon see it end permanently with him being traded. Maybe it helps Shero didn't go through the original drama so he can be more detached.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I get being tired of the drama, but I'm equally tired of watching a pathetic offense year after year. If Kovy can come in and help, I don't really give a **** about the past.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I get being tired of the drama, but I'm equally tired of watching a pathetic offense year after year. If Kovy can come in and help, I don't really give a **** about the past.

How much is he really going to help at this point though? Even during his supposed prime with us he only had 1.5 good years out of 3, and that was five years ago. Would he be better than Camm, I suppose but I'm not taking him on any long-term deal. If he wants to come back let him be on a one-year deal a la Radulov this year, at least you'd get the best out of him when he's singing for his supper.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I wouldn't give him stupid money, but if he really wants to come back that badly this year, how much leverage is he going to have to demand big money?

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
How much is he really going to help at this point though? Even during his supposed prime with us he only had 1.5 good years out of 3, and that was five years ago. Would he be better than Camm, I suppose but I'm not taking him on any long-term deal. If he wants to come back let him be on a one-year deal a la Radulov this year, at least you'd get the best out of him when he's singing for his supper.

He's a first line player still.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I wouldn't give him stupid money, but if he really wants to come back that badly this year, how much leverage is he going to have to demand big money?

I don't know if he comes back without it, that's the thing. And why these rumors probably never get off the ground year after year.

Balance

Jesus loves you!
May 20, 2013
Guys, let's face the facts. Ever since Kovalchuk left this team was left in shambles. He absolutely tore it up on this team, year after year. He was our best player.

He's better than Hall by a large margin. You welcome him back, he makes this team a playoff team once again. He could win us a cup with additional key pieces. Your not trading him for some random 1st rounder, you take him and make a few key additions and you have another cup winning team.

What is the difference between this team and 2012? Kovalchuk and Radulov. If we get Radulov, we freaking got this.

Setec Astronomy

Jun 15, 2012

His leverage is basically that he can tell the Devils he'll wait another year and they'll lose him for nothing. So either pay me big bucks now, or trade me to someone who will.

This of course is assuming what Friedman says about how it works is correct, which is pretty iffy. Ultimately, the by-laws didn't really plan for this kind of situation, and they sometimes contradict one another. The by-law that really matters is the one that says the Commissioner has the ultimate say in how they're interpreted and his decision on such matters is final and can't be reviewed by any court or arbitrator. So really Bettman can kind of make it up so long as it passes the straight face test, and even that might not really matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad