OT: Much Ado About Kovy - Still in Russia

Status
Not open for further replies.

MNDevilsfan

Jan 9, 2015
St. Paul, MN
Friedman reporting it on HNIC makes me much more interested this time around. Who knows what will actually happen, but he's legit and in the past these Kovy rumors haven't had much to them.

I'd hope for a sign and trade. Just don't really see why we'd have a 35 year old Kovalchuk on this team with where they're at.

Nemec

Apr 5, 2009
He was going to play till 42 on his last contract. So that's 7 more years of at least 20 goals

Friedman reporting it on HNIC makes me much more interested this time around. Who knows what will actually happen, but he's legit and in the past these Kovy rumors haven't had much to them.

I'd hope for a sign and trade. Just don't really see why we'd have a 35 year old Kovalchuk on this team with where they're at.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
please God not another summer of this..

It's another reason why I'm sick of this player, almost every summer since 2010 there's been some drama or another surrounding him and this player quite frankly didn't do enough to warrant the constant yearning for him other than ONE playoff run.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
2nd and 3rd is crap for a sign and trade. 1st or bust

That would be pretty sweet if we got a first.

I just don't think he's the same player as he was when we last saw him in the NHL. Best case scenario is that he's the same player he was the last we saw him, as he wasn't that good in his last season in the NHL. The lockout season.

I see him as being a 60-ish point guy now. Maybe a little bit better than Radulov, maybe only as good as Radulov.

This was his best KHL season since he's been there. He's only even been around a PPG player in the KHL since he left and a PPG in the KHL is not the equivalent to a PPG in this league.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
He was going to play till 42 on his last contract. So that's 7 more years of at least 20 goals

I never really thought he'd play until 42, the last few years were a shoestring salary in dollars paid.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I do wonder if Las Vegas decides to 'draft' Kovalchuk from the Devils if his rights are as Friedman put them.

Good let them have him, they're the only team I can see giving him a big money multi-year deal anyway.

Nemec

Apr 5, 2009
what the hell do the Rangers have to do with Ilya Kovalchuk stringing us along again? :laugh:

Meaning there's no thrill being a devils fan since your biggest rival is advancing and we will probably also get a crap pick. This is at least some entertainment

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
If we could find out exactly what happened back in 2013, I could forgive him. Of course, we'll never hear Lou's side of things, if we ever even hear Kovalchuk's. Perhaps I'd be a little more forgiving if I could find out what happened.

I'd love to read a book about it one day, and I'm really not one for books.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Kovy makes less sense for them than even the devils

Vegas has to spend money on SOME players...he makes a lot of sense for them on that aspect alone. How many other big money players from any team are they going to be able to pick that are actually somewhat desirable? Cammalleri? :laugh:

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Vegas has to spend money on SOME players...he makes a lot of sense for them on that aspect alone. How many other big money players from any team are they going to be able to pick that are actually somewhat desirable? Cammalleri? :laugh:

It makes no sense for them to take rights over an actual player in an expansion draft.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Kovy makes less sense for them than even the devils

He's either

A. A big name player that will put butts in the seats.
B. A guy they can cash in for assets.

Or it can be both.

Granted, that's if he actually wants to come over and shows any interest in going to LV. They'd be able to pay him as well.

NJDevils17

Going Up?
Apr 21, 2013
Raleigh
I wish we knew the whole story. We make assumptions but I don't know what happened on either side.

As for him coming back, I'd rather sign and trade than have him back. He just doesn't fit the team and could possibly get a significant asset back.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
It makes no sense for them to take rights over an actual player in an expansion draft.

Well unless they're big fans of John Moore who would they be taking from us that really matters to them anyway? MAYBE Kinkaid? I'm not sure Camm gets exposed.

They can't even keep all the players they do draft so drafting his rights might be appealing more than taking one of our leftovers.

Last edited:

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
I would try to get a ransom for him if a team is stupid enough to do so. If not, play him during the season and teade him at the deadline if he is still a good player. This is all contingent on what Ilya wants as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad