Speculation: Much Ado About Kovy: Staying in Russia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Setec Astronomy

Jun 15, 2012
lol The reason there weren't many offers were because teams realized they would have to trade something the Devils to sign him

They instead reasoned out it was more worth it to wait a year, guarantee you Kovy will get some great offers next season.

I think its funny that people cannot see the simplicity of that statement and turn it to around to say "LOOK NOBODYS INTERESTED LOL". Like are you serious? Teams are interested in Ilya freaking Kovalchuk.

If there were a trade to be made for Tavares that included only three additional years of term as opposed to the seven or eight years he'll obviously get, teams would be lining up to make very generous offers even though they could theoretically wait a year and not have to trade anything.

Tavares and Kovy are obviously not the same player, but the principle is the same.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
No other figures were floated. Based on the outcome, I think it's pretty safe to say 3 years at 6 was at least what he wanted. Especially looking at the contracts handed to Radulov and Marleau.

If this is what he needs to return to the NHL, he will never play another game here. Even if he wants a 2 year deal next summer I doubt he gets it as a 35+ flight risk.

Edmonton East

BUT the ADvaNCEd STatS...
Nov 25, 2007
If this is what he needs to return to the NHL, he will never play another game here. Even if he wants a 2 year deal next summer I doubt he gets it as a 35+ flight risk.

I don't know what his plan is. He might be able to get 2 @ 6per. That's the most I could see. I don't see him taking a one year contract at all, nor do I see him playing for under 6 per.

Like I said towards the beginning of this saga, it was in everyone's best interest to lay their cards on the table early. Kovalchuk's best path to a contender was to come back this season and have the Devs retain some cap. That was also the only way the Devs would get decent value. Good luck next year when he wants to contend with a full cap hit on a 35+ contract.

I'm not a huge Kovy fan and I know you aren't, but in a mythical world where the Devs did get Shattenkirk, I do think it would have been in both party's best interests to have him start the season with the team. I'm a big advocate of getting the kids playing meaningful hockey early in their careers for development (not being eliminated every December). If out by the deadline, then deal with retainer to contender. Everyone is happy. Or the team gets a wildcard spot. Again, everyone is a winner.

Yes, I'm aware Kovy didn't want to play here it seems and Shero didn't want him either. Regardless, I'll still believe a 1 year deal at 6+ would have given everyone what they wanted ONLY if Shattenkirk had been signed. So this whole ramble is really pointless, but I'm waiting for traffic to die down. :laugh:

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I thought Zubrus was space-junk?

Or was that Poni? :D

Zubrus = Bone Dust

Bernier = Space Junk
Poni was the original Space Junk, but then Bernier and Zubrus eventually got that title at later time periods.

Probably that useless piece of typhoid fever in Sergey Kalinin also.

Speaking of Ponikarovsky, think of Kovalchuk demanding that if we don't bring back Poni, he doesn't come back either.:laugh:

Ponikarovsky had a real bounceback season in the KHL last year, scoring 14 points in 52 games. Up from his 4 points in 40 games from the year before and 8 points in 32 games in 14-15. Nearly identical of his 15 points in 51 KHL games in 13-14!

Good god, he's beyond washed up. How the hell is he still playing?

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Poni was the original Space Junk, but then Bernier and Zubrus eventually got that title at later time periods.

Probably that useless piece of typhoid fever in Sergey Kalinin also.

Speaking of Ponikarovsky, think of Kovalchuk demanding that if we don't bring back Poni, he doesn't come back either.:laugh:

Ponikarovsky had a real bounceback season in the KHL last year, scoring 14 points in 52 games. Up from his 4 points in 40 games from the year before and 8 points in 32 games in 14-15. Nearly identical of his 15 points in 51 KHL games in 13-14!

Good god, he's beyond washed up. How the hell is he still playing?

Poni Part-1 was tremendous.
Part-2 forgettable

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Poni Part-1 was tremendous.
Part-2 forgettable

Poni 1.0 was pretty sweet.

Poni 2.0 was a waste of space.

I remember he scored in his first game back in 2013. It was against the Flyers and assisted by Marty on a sweet pass.

Chico and Steve called the goal like it was scored by this new superstar. He only scored one more goal the rest of that season.

I often accused him of being mad that he was sent back to us and not wanting to be here. After seeing his KHL stat line, I'm not sure he was dogging it and didn't wanna be here. I think he was just rapidly declining, and his KHL statline the very next season was pretty pathetic.

mtnet

LGD!
Oct 31, 2014
The best thing about this thread was eventually coming around to bone dust and space junk references

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
The best thing about this thread was eventually coming around to bone dust and space junk references

Perhaps soon enough, we can watch a Team Russia alumni team, with the likes of Dainius Zubrus, Alexei Ponikarovsky and you guessed it! Ilya Kovalchuk! Maybe all on the same line.

But since Kovalchuk is such a superior player, he'll embarrass those two geriatrics.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Zubrus and Ponikarovaky are not Russian. But would they be eligible for team Russia sonce Lithuania and Ukraine use to be Soviet territory? I would think no.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Zubrus and Ponikarovaky are not Russian. But would they be eligible for team Russia sonce Lithuania and Ukraine use to be Soviet territory? I would think no.
Zubrus has played for Team Russia before. I distinctly remember him playing for them in the 2004 World Cup tournament, perhaps even other tournaments, like at the world championships.
I'm guessing Lovejoy is the leader for Bleed's "Space Junk" moniker for 2017-18. Any other contenders?

I've officially retired the name.

In the rafters with a # (I don't even remember what he wore, was it #12?) for Poni!:sarcasm:

The 29th Pick

Still Alive !
Dec 7, 2007
Northvale N.J.
how many versions 2.0 of space junk did we have to watch over the years
Mogilny, Malakhov, Rolston, Poni, I guess Shanahan, maybe Holik (not as bad) Gomer?

Balance

Jesus loves you!
May 20, 2013
Marleau got 3 years at 6.25m per year

Kovalchuk got plenty of offers this year, a trade could not be made. These "sources" are just made up bunk, Kovalchuk was a lot better than any free agent available this year. Certainly much better than Thornton and Marleau for sure and light years better than Shattenkirk.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
how many versions 2.0 of space junk did we have to watch over the years
Mogilny, Malakhov, Rolston, Poni, I guess Shanahan, maybe Holik (not as bad) Gomer?

Mogilny 2.0 wasn't that bad, I think he was more or less exiled due to being a problem in the locker room, along with an expensive salary and an older player. He wasn't as good as the old (or young) Mogilny, but he wasn't that bad either.

Malakhov 2.0 was as bad as any of them.

Rolston 2.0 had his moments. Wasn't a bad player, just wasn't worth his contract.

Shanahan 2.0 was alright. Pretty good 4th liner and PP guy. Not bad for a 40 year old.

Holik 2.0 was an okay 4th liner and nothing more. At least Sutter didn't overuse him.

Gomez 2.0 wasn't bad at all. That was the best he had produced since his first or second year with the Canadiens. It was the last bit he probably left. He might have been bad if we had re-signed him that year.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Marleau got 3 years at 6.25m per year

Kovalchuk got plenty of offers this year, a trade could not be made. These "sources" are just made up bunk, Kovalchuk was a lot better than any free agent available this year. Certainly much better than Thornton and Marleau for sure and light years better than Shattenkirk.

Not sure if serious.

Better than Thornton? Da fuq?

That's not true at all.

Balance

Jesus loves you!
May 20, 2013
Yes, Kovalchuk is better than a player who scored 7 goals in 79 NHL games

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Zubrus has played for Team Russia before. I distinctly remember him playing for them in the 2004 World Cup tournament, perhaps even other tournaments, like at the world championships.

I've officially retired the name.

In the rafters with a # (I don't even remember what he wore, was it #12?) for Poni!:sarcasm:

Interesting. I guess if you were born in the Soviet Union you can play for team russia. Never knew that.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008

Depends if Kovy is willing to take an incentive laden deal too; perhaps centered around games played.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Yes, Kovalchuk is better than a player who scored 7 goals in 79 NHL games

Context is important here.

Thornton hasn't scored 20 goals since the 10-11 season. Thornton isn't a very good goal scorer anymore, that's nothing new at all. That might be the only thing that Kovalchuk is better at than him.

Thornton is one season removed from an 82 point in 82 game season. He's also usually good for 65-70 points, up until this past year.

Kovalchuk hasn't had a season in the NHL like Thornton's 36 year old season in 15-16 since he was 28 years old in 2011-2012.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Interesting. I guess if you were born in the Soviet Union you can play for team russia. Never knew that.

Unless it's since been changed since back then. I'd have to look more into it.

Balance

Jesus loves you!
May 20, 2013
Kovalchuk only had 1 season in the NHL after the 2012 season, and he had a much better PPG that season than Thornton had last year.

But that's beyond the point, you only score 7 goals (with some empty netters) you are a nobody compared to Kovalchuk.

Like, a 50 point player compared to a multiple time 50 goal scorer? What next, will Pavel Zacha outscore Connor McDavid next year?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad