Speculation: Much Ado About Kovy: Staying in Russia

Status
Not open for further replies.

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn
But this summer, for a variety of reasons, there was no return for Ilya Kovalchuk.

“Get a contract with the team. Then that general manager calls New Jersey. That’s all that had to happen. And it never did,” said Shero. “So that’s the end of the story.”

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
giphy.gif

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
He should absolutely have done what Radulov did. Come back on a one year deal and prove yourself then talk to teams about a 2-3 year deal.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Thank you.

As I said in my 1st post in the 1st Kovalchuk thread......

It. Is. Always. About. $$$$$$. With. Kovalchuk.

He could be playing in the NHL this year if he wanted to, but he'll play in the KHL instead where he'll get paid several million dollars more. Kovy, "dreaming about the Stanley Cup" and desperately wanting to return to the NHL was fairy tale nonsense. I said it on day 1. [/The End]

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Thank you.

He could be playing in the NHL this year if he wanted to, but he'll play in the KHL instead where he'll get paid several million dollars more. Kovy, "dreaming about the Stanley Cup" and desperately wanting to return to the NHL was fairy tale nonsense. I said it on day 1. [/The End]

And then when he gets nothing offers next year because he'd be on a 35+ contract it wouldn't shock me if he stayed over in the KHL even then.

Is that what they are calling "behind the scenes" these days?

Well that piece was a bit more in-depth than I expected tbh, with Shero quotes. At least we know once and for all it never even got to a point where Shero had an offer to refuse and that his market sucked that bad :laugh:

He should absolutely have done what Radulov did. Come back on a one year deal and prove yourself then talk to teams about a 2-3 year deal.

Bingo.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
He thought he could be slick and get term before the 35+ contract came into play. He was wrong.

He is never going to get what he wants unless he eats the one year contract first, and I'm not convinced he will ever go for that when he can get more guaranteed money over there.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Someone would give him a one year deal, but if he only wants term he is going to get more crickets.

A 35+ contract with a flight risk? No one is going to do that without some proof he can still go st a high level on NA ice.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
He thought he could be slick and get term before the 35+ contract came into play. He was wrong.

He is never going to get what he wants unless he eats the one year contract first, and I'm not convinced he will ever go for that when he can get more guaranteed money over there.

If he's smart he'll sign as long as deal as possible in the KHL this offseason. Cause his production is going to fall off a cliff without Ship and Dadanov.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
This was a fantastic adventure!

I feel like a cosmonaut now

That's why it's called the Gagarin Cup.

Hope Kovy has fun playing for one of only about 6 teams that has any chance of winning in that phony ~30 team league.

The KHL is even more rigged than the NBA.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Shero is lying through his teeth.

There's no way that no team was interested in a guy who could easily pot 40 goals until he's 40, an elite PKer/defensive player and a top 25 (at worst) forward in the entire world.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
Thank you.

this didn't seem to have too much to do with money...it sounds like only a few teams were interested, and that dwindled down even further after the UFA frenzy period.

but, if your point is that a professional athlete wants to make a lot of money, yeah nobody would argue that.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
this didn't seem to have too much to do with money...it sounds like only a few teams were interested, and that dwindled down even further after the UFA frenzy period.

but, if your point is that a professional athlete wants to make a lot of money, yeah nobody would argue that.

Ya from the beginning the biggest $$$ was always going to be in the KHL.

I think he knew he was going to have to sacrifice some cash to come into the NHL.

I don't think he expected the interest to be as low, and thus the money sacrificed, to be as high as it turned out to be.

NJDevils17

Going Up?
Apr 21, 2013
Raleigh

There's no way that no team was interested in a guy who could easily pot 40 goals until he's 40, an elite PKer/defensive player and a top 25 (at worst) forward in the entire world.

He could've won the Rocket next year and been an MVP candidate. Shero was probably offered a few picks and turned them down because he's a grumpy spiteful old school GM afraid to make trades.

The 29th Pick

Still Alive !
Dec 7, 2007
Northvale N.J.

I somewhat agree, the article said the rags were heavily interested, yet Ray didnt receive a single offer ? from any GM?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad